Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

animation Your Anime Opinion.

Rivulet

Hey all.

So, I want to start watching an anime. I don't know much about them, except for the one my friend got me to watch because it was one season long (Attack On Titan). What is a good anime to start watching? One that's preferably on Netflix, but even if it's not, I can find other ways to watch it *cough* pirating *cough*.

Thanks guys.

I'll also recommend FullMetal Alchemist, I have watched every episode of the first series.

Not gonna say anything, just watch it yourself, you won't regret it.

I saw like 3 suggestions for this, so I'm gonna take a stab at it. I hope you're right that I won't regret it.

Full Metal Alchemist is great, though I preferred the remake, Brotherhood.
I should explain.
So they basically started making the anime for FMA before the manga was finished, and they got too ahead of themselves and needed to make more episodes but the manga wasnt done. So they basically created a completely different story from a certain point onward. The remake, Brotherhood, follows the manga. (which I prefer) though I suggest watching both. (Brotherhood I suggest watching second, since you'll be more connected to the characters)

• Brohoof 2

Seven Deadly Sins is really good and funny!! But if you want something a bit more serious, I'd recommend Monster, Death Parade and Madoka (the last one might seem like a girly girl anime, but it's not, dont be fooled by the pink dresses, ruffles and magic girl shit)

OH! There's also Watamote, which is hilarious, and it can be v relatable if you are a shy person and into geeky stuff

Cowboy Bebop

Casshern Sins

Elfen Lied

Fruits Basket

Trigun

FLCL  (Fooly Cooly)

Ouran Host Club

Kill la Kill

Romeo x Juliet

Death Note

• Brohoof 1

Gurren Lagann should have filled the first page of the thread in my opinion. It's the ideal starter anime. Great pacing across the 27 episodes and full of the hypest moments where you're just like, "OH SH-". Big dumb mech action that's on Netflix, with one of the best villain characters. (Obvs Viral)

Can't recommend enough.  :wub:

Edited by Celestial Sloth

Since you didn't recommend any specific genre, I'm just going to throw out my favorites that are on Netflix.

Knights of Sidonia(Mecha, Sci-Fi)

Puella Puella Madoka Magica(Magical Girl)

Death Note(Thriller)

The Devil is a Part-Timer(Comedy, Supernatural)

Soul Eater(Action, Comedy)

Hunter x Hunter(Action/Adventure, Shonen)

@@Celestial Sloth

Great taste in villains, Viral is awesome.

I recommend Gurren Lagann too; it starts off slow, but after the 8th or 9th episode it becomes impossible to put down. I really loved it, it's probably my favorite anime and one of the most newbie-friendly (well, after ones like FMA and Attack on Titan).

Madoka (the last one might seem like a girly girl anime, but it's not, dont be fooled by the pink dresses, ruffles and magic girl shit)

Seconding, by Episode 3 Madoka becomes a lot better and goes into very adult and mature topics. You should at least give this one a try.

Edited by Shift
  • Brohoof 1

It really depends on what kind of genres you like. Personally I really enjoy drama and comedy but some action is pretty good as well. I don't really like mecha animes though (anime about robots).

As a beginner, I strongly suggest you NOT TO WATCH long-ass anime shows with 300+ episodes like Naruto, Dragon Ball, Bleach, One Piece etc because since they are so long, it's hard to get an overall view how anime is like and it'll make you one of those extreme fanboy/girls everyone in the anime community dislike because they refuse to watch anything else. Haha anyway, it's perfectly fine to watch those shows but please do not watch them as your first anime experience.

If you like action, try out Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, One Punch Man or Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. If you're any interested in drama, try out Clannad, Angel Beats, Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai or Toradora. Comedy anime I personally like are Lucky Star, Nichijou, Yuru Yuri, Azumanga Daioh and Joshiraku. These are all just examples of course, there are so many good shows out there but I just gave these examples because they're well made (you don't want a shitty experience your first time) and they're not 7500 episodes long *cough* I'm looking at you Sazae-san.

Fullmetal Alchemist like everyone else has said, though I much prefer Brotherhood to the first series.

Death Note, Angel Beats!, and A Certain Magical Index/A Certain Scientific Railgun are all great as well <3 I also love No Game No Life and Future Diary though i wouldn't start with those.