Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

web Is it unethical to use artwork by other people for icons and signatures?

AEDAZ

Say someone just browses google images, finds a cool piece of fan art of Twilight Sparkle, uses it as their icon. They aren't claiming it as their own, they just liked the artwork and felt it sort of reflected themselves in a sense, but they don't put any disclaimer that it isn't their own. Do you think they are doing anything wrong?

I ask because I see it a lot on here. Personally, I don't have a problem with it, unless a website has specific rules that say uploads should be owner or made by the one posting them. To me, it actually is sort of a compliment to the artwork. My current avatar is a gif I just found on tumblr via a google search. I thought it was really nice, reflected my recent state of mind, and used it.

But I'd like to know what others here think. Is it wrong?

Edited by Aedaz

In my opinion, not really, no.

It's not like they're deliberately searching for pony art (or any art really), downloading it to their computer, editing it to remove watermarks or add their own, then uploading it to DeviantArt or Tumblr claiming that they made it.

• Brohoof 1

In general, I think it's always more polite/courteous to ask. Some may be more okay with it than others.  ;)

I mean, I think there's a level where something is so popular or official (tv shows and such) where using images from it just shows support and love. But, as you go further down in recognition, sometimes it gets a little odd when you start using personal artwork, or art from lesser known artists.

To make a comparison to music, if some small-time musician recorded something they wrote out of their fondness for their art, and somebody else used it for an AMV with no credit... that's pretty bad, isn't it?

Why is it okay to use visual art in roughly the same way without credit? Avatars and such often become a user's "face," after all, which is a pretty significant thing to borrow from someone else's body of work. The argument that it's a compliment (showing they like it) applies to both cases, but might not justify it fully. I mean, I'm on the side of art somehow feeling a lot less offensive to use without credit... but I could see a few artists taking issue with it, or at least being uncomfortable about not being asked. Though I'm sure there are a ton that wouldn't care, or just be flattered and leave it at that. Could vary a lot, haha.  :)

Personally, if someone (for whatever reason) used some of my art pieces for that purpose without my knowing... there are a few I'd be slightly irked by, but others I wouldn't really care about.

• Brohoof 2

I think it's okay if you ask, and at the very least give credit.

I don't usually have to worry about that though, since all my avatars are either made by me for me, or they use screenshots from the show.

As long as you don't erase the artist name if it's in the image, or can link to where you got the pic from if anyone asks for a source, I don't see a problem. If you happen to set it and forget it, it's rude, but not much else. If someone claiming to be the artist contacts you, wanting you to remove it, it's probably best to remove it, though personally, I'd make them verify they are the artist first, in some way.

It is just a simple signature or avatar. You aren't profiting from it or anything so I don't think it is a big deal honestly. It is actually showing that you like the art enough to use it for that so I see that as a positive. 

• Brohoof 3

• 3 weeks later...

If you see something nice, it's better to either ask first or research the artist and find out whether or not they use Creative Commons or any other kind of alternate form of copyright, or if they've spelled out their own terms. Also, see how they react when others ask to use their artwork or if you see their art on other sites.

Most very popular artists are usually too busy or too swamped with activity to respond to every request, so it's better to use precedent in that case. If it's a smaller-time artist, it's better to ask them and/or credit them.

Crediting an artist or linking to the original upload page is absolutely essential if you do use someone else's work. This should be a given.

• Brohoof 1

It's pretty controversial honestly. I think it's fine though.
Like most other people said, as long as you dont remove their signature/watermarks or claim it as your own.

It'd be good to find the original upload of the image and make sure there isn't anything by the artists that says to NOT use it.

• Brohoof 1

It is not unethical to use artwork by others for your own private, non-commercial purposes in this particular instance. The person you are borrowing the work from more than likely does not own a license to use Twilight Sparkle, but you should ask in the event that they do. If they do, link a way to contact the artist under the borrowed picture. 

• Brohoof 1

No. What kind of world would we live in if you could only show things that you personally made? 

Why, basically nothing would be shown.

I did something decent in the pone realm recently and if someone somewhere wants to use it as their avatar I don't have a problem with it, my only problem is if they claim its them, their OC, or use it as a "reference" (i.e. tracing) to make their own horribly colour-offending anti-Twilight alicorn OC or something else equally ridiculous.

• Brohoof 1

I don't see any real issue with using someone else's original art as an avatar, icon, signature, etc.

As long as the artist does not put a note on the piece specifically stating not to us their work or not to use their work without properly citing them, it poses no problem in my opinion.

• Brohoof 1

Like most, I see no reason it's bad if you aren't claiming it as yours, and I'm someone who has done quite a bit of fan art... but so many people act like it's the WORST. POSSIBLE. THING. that I stick to graphics I make with my own art or screenshots from something 95% of the time. (The other 5% is when I use fan made vectors, but those are usually for free use as far as the artist is concerned.)

• Brohoof 1

I see a potential issue with the free advertising argument though... If it's uncredited, it's not really advertising. Generally people will  already know the artist/artwork, or not, and continue not to.

• 6 years later...

It's debatable, but that action is practiced by so many that it has become acceptable. However, there are a few rules I abide by whenever using someone else's artwork in my icon: 1) Don't use that artwork if the author explicitly says not to use it, 2) don't use someone else's OC, 3) always credit the artist when possible, and 4) never under any circumstances use that artwork to make a profit.

Also, I think it is perfectly fine to use the artwork if it is artwork of a character that a company owns, such as artwork of Twilight Sparkle or Rainbow Dash.