Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming What's the scariest game you've ever played?

Everfree

Cry of Fear was probably the scariest game I've played. I mean, the first 6 minutes alone were enough to terrify and convince me to never pick it up again... but I still want to beat it!

In terms of atmosphere, Silent Hill 3 takes the cake. It has hardly any jump scares, but REALLY creeped me out.

• Brohoof 1

Dead Space 2 or Bioshock :P

Turok scared me as a kid on the N64 too. :P

Downright creepy for a really old school game - The Uninvited for NES (you can play it on some emulators) - i wouldn't consider it "scary". But definitely creepy, Zim.

When one of my friends showed me one of the Silent Hill games - he turned out all the lights and he was walking by an abandoned car and this thing skittered out from under the car and made a creepy squeaky bicycle noise and scared the crap outta me - I'm not kidding I screamed and jumped about a foot!

Another one that I've seen that really kinda creeped me out was Fatal Frame.

Sounds like I really need to check out Amnesia tho!

Edited by PixiGlow

Nobody mentioned ... Penumbra

Well Amnesia is developed by the same company; Frictional games. So it kinda counts.

I just now remembered a game that, to me, is rather eerie. I mean, it's obviously not meant to be scary or even creepy, but something about it just seems... it seems like it's sending subliminal messages... somehow. Anyways, the game I'm talking about is, get this, Mario Paint.

Things that are creepy to me about it:

-The stamp screen: Basically you can make stamps as part of the game, but the music played at the screen for making stamps just creeps me the heck out.

I mean, listen to it!

-The minigames: There are several minigames packed into it. One of them has you swatting mosquitoes and stuff with a flyswatter. What's creepy about it? The sprites. The sprites for some of the later insects are huge and somewhat disturbing looking. Ugh... just... creeps me out to think about it.

-The absolute silence: In some screens in the game there is just this completely silent... silence. And it's a little bit creepy if you ask me. I'm not even sure why.

Anyways, yeah. I have no clue why or how any of those weird me out, but they do.

Penumbra did a good job of making use of its game mechanics to build a scary atmosphere. Having to use your mouse to swing stuff like that made combat terrifying.

I don't know if the Gameboy camera counts as a game, but the 'Run' screen gave me a good scare as a child. Look it up, youngsters.

Since when is Bioshock scary? It's basically baby's first System Shock 2.

• Brohoof 1

How to scare yourself ****less:

Step 1: Boot up STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl

Step 2: Go to The Dark Forest

Step 3: Near the bandit base, there is a small 2 storey building, go inside

Step 4: Find the crying man huddling in a corner. Listen to him tell you that there are 'things' chasing him

Step 5: Turn around

Scared the absolute **** outta me the first time I did this. What's scary even more is that the creature (who can turn invisible btw) kills the poor guy first, then leaves. THEN COMES BACK FOR YOU when you think you're safe!

How to scare yourself ****less:

Step 1: Boot up STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl

Step 2: Go to The Dark Forest

Step 3: Near the bandit base, there is a small 2 storey building, go inside

Step 4: Find the crying man huddling in a corner. Listen to him tell you that there are 'things' chasing him

Step 5: Turn around

Scared the absolute **** outta me the first time I did this. What's scary even more is that the creature (who can turn invisible btw) kills the poor guy first, then leaves. THEN COMES BACK FOR YOU when you think you're safe!

What is this witchcraft and why have I never heard of nor played it before and where in the world can I get it? *runs to google*

Not exactly, in my opinion, Penumbra scares me even more than Amnesia, enemies search for you with a flashlight, so you have to hide even more than Amnesia, in Amnesia you just hide behind a barrel, don't look at them and that's all (not everytime, but it's basically that way). And (for me) the environment it's creepier than Amnesia, too much halls and so few places to hide.

Though, this is my opinion, someone might think Amnesia is creepier than Penumbra games...

What is this witchcraft and why have I never heard of nor played it before and where in the world can I get it? *runs to google*

You can get it on steam, around 20 bucks.

The scariest game I ever played was Call of Cluthu: Dark Corners of the Earth - that is until I tried out Amnesia. xD I watched like 5 play throughs of others playing Amnesia and I still got scared as hell whenever I finally bought it and played it for the first time. I just wanted to crawl up into a ball in a corner of a room. xD

I must say though I generally try to avoid scary games. The only reason I got Amnesia was because it was Halloween and I wanted to see some friends freak out at it.

I just now remembered a game that, to me, is rather eerie. I mean, it's obviously not meant to be scary or even creepy, but something about it just seems... it seems like it's sending subliminal messages... somehow. Anyways, the game I'm talking about is, get this, Mario Paint.

Things that are creepy to me about it:

-The stamp screen: Basically you can make stamps as part of the game, but the music played at the screen for making stamps just creeps me the heck out.

I mean, listen to it!

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3EVkG6Ibsc

-The minigames: There are several minigames packed into it. One of them has you swatting mosquitoes and stuff with a flyswatter. What's creepy about it? The sprites. The sprites for some of the later insects are huge and somewhat disturbing looking. Ugh... just... creeps me out to think about it.

-The absolute silence: In some screens in the game there is just this completely silent... silence. And it's a little bit creepy if you ask me. I'm not even sure why.

Anyways, yeah. I have no clue why or how any of those weird me out, but they do.

That's some eerily intense music for stamp making! Eerie, but strangely catchy. :wacko:

Edited by StingeMuffin

(edited)

Alone in the Dark for the Psx. Just because it was beautifully executed, guns? existant in the game but they are never presented enough to be reliable.

Edited by SrFrog

(edited)
Everything with Spiders in it...I screamed like a girl and my heart stopped for a short moment when one in Skyrim dropped on my head. The first person view made the moment even more intense :o Edited by Wildcard

(edited)

I can honestly say I don't think I've ever truly been scared by a game, Dead Space 1 and 2 were nothing, you were overpowered as hell and I kinda expected a lot of the enemy placements, Amnesia just felt powerless, Silent Hill is just random...

As a kid though I was horrified of Resident Evil, though looking back I laugh so hard at it.

Edited by TOMahwk
  • Brohoof 1

Well, call me crazy, but the only game that truly scares me is... Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. Fighting games like this make me so jumpy and scared. Horror games don't really scare me all that much.

Top 5 in order

• SCP 087-B
  • SCP: Containment Breach
  • Silent Hill 3
  • Amnesia: The Dark Descent
  • Alone In The Dark (PSX)
Dead space didnt scare me. I am quite used to scary stuff now though. I can't wait for another good horror game to come.

The scariest game I ever played was Call of Cluthu: Dark Corners of the Earth - that is until I tried out Amnesia. xD I watched like 5 play throughs of others playing Amnesia and I still got scared as hell whenever I finally bought it and played it for the first time. I just wanted to crawl up into a ball in a corner of a room. xD

I must say though I generally try to avoid scary games. The only reason I got Amnesia was because it was Halloween and I wanted to see some friends freak out at it.

Call of Cthulhu is a good game indeed... good to see that other ponies here played it.

Yes, Amnesia scares the fuck out of everybody, it's perfectly made.

Top 5 in order

• SCP 087-B
  • SCP: Containment Breach
  • Silent Hill 3
  • Amnesia: The Dark Descent
  • Alone In The Dark (PSX)
Dead space didnt scare me. I am quite used to scary stuff now though. I can't wait for another good horror game to come.

I doubt very very much that a good scary game releases these days, the only scary game im hoping it will be good it's Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs.

By the way, SCP 087-B doesn't sound me of anything, i will look up for that one.

Call of Cthulhu is a good game indeed... good to see that other ponies here played it.

Yes, Amnesia scares the fuck out of everybody, it's perfectly made.

I doubt very very much that a good scary game releases these days, the only scary game im hoping it will be good it's Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs.

By the way, SCP 087-B doesn't sound me of anything, i will look up for that one.

Bricks were shit. That game made me poo myself. They're both free. Conainment breach is better made.