Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Does anyone shop at Goodwill?

ManaMinori

Obligatory Macklemore quote:

I wear your granddad's clothes
I look incredible
I'm in this big ass coat
From that thrift shop down the road

Despite being obsessive compulsive, I have purchased clothing from secondhand stores in the past.  My income used to be nonexistent, and there ain't no shame in paying less for a used shirt.  Even now, if you can get a decent-looking shirt for a decent-seeming price, there's no good reason not to.  All of the clothing has been washed; probably better than I could manage at home.  If I were worried about clothing having once been dirty, I'd throw away all of my own clothing.

• Brohoof 1

I rarely shop at Goodwill. Toy hunting there is a pain. I prefer flea markets.

So many flea market sellers are selling at retail prices now - some have even had me wait, checked ebay for prices, then quoted me the highest price one bay for sale! At least over at the flea markets by me. Plus a lot of the stalls have become new retail items. 

So many flea market sellers are selling at retail prices now - some have even had me wait, checked ebay for prices, then quoted me the highest price one bay for sale! At least over at the flea markets by me. Plus a lot of the stalls have become new retail items.

Well,the flea market I've been going to since I was little is fairly small and doesn't have a lot of people there trying to sell things for their norm prices. My sister even bought a Breyer horse for $15, while on EBay it's going for nearly $100. This flea market normally attracts sellers who want to clear up space, and the majority of the booths are small to begin with.
  • Brohoof 1

Goodwills aren't typically my place to go shopping for Clothes. 

Church Thrift Stores are more of my Clothes places when I go second Hand for clothes. Mostly because I find they have a slightly better quality control filter. Or at least the ones I go to. That and I never have any horrible allergic reactions to touching the Thrift Stores clothes as Opposed to Good Will. 

What Goodwill is quite good for is books, because I've found a wonderful near mint condition of Cervantes Works there for the low low price of 50 cents. It was a hardback with gold lining to the paper as well. 

Edited by Seraph

Funny you should ask that, poster. I do in fact shop there sometimes. It used to be all the time, but then I became trapped in my own home during the week. Now I'm stuck in a rut of staying home most of the time.

But when I do go there, I hunt for some button-ups of varying colors for everyday use. I have a some pastel shirts for spring stuff like Easter. I also found some rare stuff like a rare demo disc for the gamecube and the Starcraft battle chest. Not sure if that's rare though, I just found a bunch of them.

Well,the flea market I've been going to since I was little is fairly small and doesn't have a lot of people there trying to sell things for their norm prices. My sister even bought a Breyer horse for $15, while on EBay it's going for nearly $100. This flea market normally attracts sellers who want to clear up space, and the majority of the booths are small to begin with.

That's awesome. The flea market near me, like I said, is mostly retail or collectors selling things for high ebay prices. There's a video game seller who goes out there every week, and his NES cart labels are faded to near white from being in the sun for years because he's selling top dollar and no one buys. I don't get it. The other spectrum is LIC Flea (which is featured on Flea Market Flip) where things sell for hundreds of dollars...hardly a flea market and more like a fru-fru Rarity type place. 

Value Village, but it's pretty much the same thing. I like browsing thrift stores and seeing what stuff they're selling, it's kind of like going to the farmers market and browsing the merchants.

One time, I bought this old gameboy colour from there with a rotted out speaker and brought it back to life with a little solder and a fresh speaker. Six dollars for an hour or so of fun. I've never really bought clothes from there, but I have bought books, VHS tapes and other miscellaneous items. Why not? There's actually some really interesting stuff there if you look every so often.

Edited by Celtore

I go there a few times a week, but I rarely ever buy anything there. My main interest is vintage computer hardware, but as far as I know, Goodwill usually just recycles that stuff and never even puts it out on the sales floor. :(

A few weeks ago, I did find something nice there - a copy of the Game Boy Advance version of the original Legend of Zelda. It was one of the few Zelda games I didn't have in my collection, so it was a good find.

I probably shouldn't say this, but I often do see pony merch at Goodwill. Usually it's just beat-up toys with stickers and marker scribbles all over them, but sometimes, it'll be something good. For example, a few weeks back, they had Build-A-Bear Applejack and Rarity for $1.99 each.

God help me, if I ever find any of the MLP Funko figures there, I might not be able to resist buying them. :P

• 3 years later...
(edited)

Eh....I used to. But it was really only for the toys and I've long lost my interest in that. Besides my local Goodwill never has had ponies...so no point. :P

Edited by Lucky Bolt

5 minutes ago, Misty Breeze said:

Yeah. Find em all the time. Anything from classic NASCAR to dirt track stuff.

I didn't know you were into that!! :pinkie:

1 minute ago, Lucky Bolt said:

I didn't know you were into that!! :pinkie:

Yeah we talked about F1 before and how I help my cousin with his racecar. I've even found one of his t-shirts at the Goodwill.

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, Misty Breeze said:

Yeah we talked about F1 before and how I help my cousin with his racecar. I've even found one of his t-shirts at the Goodwill.

I mean yeah I know you like F1 and all but I didn't think the other stuff. 

It's been a while. Last things I bought was a PC controller and the audiobiography of the late great Joanie 'Chyna' Lauerer. Usually if I'm book or CD hunting, half-price books are my place. If it's just regular bargain hunting, then it's St. Vincient DePaul, which is like an upscale Goodwill.

I will stop at the Goodwill near me every now and again. I will sometimes buy an outfit or two. I donate there more than I do shop there.