Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Aurora Glimmer

This is a common point that is mentioned several times during a season. Here are some other topics to validate that. 

Season Five, Another Season Five

Season Six

Topic in which someone claimed that Make New Friends but Keep Discord would be a seasonal rot episode (turned out it was a huge favorite of many). 

I could post the Season Four threads (there were many) but I made my point. This has been a claim for some time. It is fine to state a show is declining (or that one is losing interest), but I do dismiss the use of buzzwords based on principle, especially in the face of a common psychology. 

I'll reiterate when I said previously. I'm still enjoying the show and as long as I can have a few smiles each episode I will feel that it is successful. I also believe that Season Five was a really really tough act to follow as it was a near masterclass in short form animated story telling. 

OP saw the episodes already and didn't like them. Bringing up older threads like that is pointless. The show was never a master of storytelling anyway, it's all been done before.

To your opinion, it may feel like the show has take an turn in unfavorable circumstances. If Hasbro were to listen to us, they'll make a show that may either be like or dislike too, same if they ignore us. It's fine if the season goes stale but for the sake of the show, I don't want it to change just to pander to fans. It's fine the way it is.

Criticizing the show for bad writing and hoping the writers improve isn't fan pandering. 

I don't think she has to be a bad character, the writers also got Fluttershy to contradict episode two of the whole series. I would blame them more than the character potential. Also viewer counts have been lower season 6 than 5. But there is also more support to watch it online, so the numbers won't be entirely accurate.

I guess you can say that, i mean Rainbow episdoe for such a big character arch kind of fell flat. no wher near as good as when the CMC got thier marks.

Starlight is kind of meh I suppose but we won't see Sunset shimmer in mlp universe so she just there to fit that role no biggy.  They havn't recylce plots...yet...although will admit PInkie isn't as funny as she used to be...a litte too random.

I woudlnt' call it rot per say, but I would say it mostly ALL NEW writers that have litte idea of how the character have developed over the years.

We've had multiple threads about this dating back as early as season 3. Whenever someone says, "MLP is going through season rot because insert reason here," I usually translate that to, "I've lost interest in the show and should really take a break or stop watching it to avoid hurting myself."

Season 6 has been on the average side for me. The only wowing episode so far was the recent one, but I don't take a bunch of average episodes and a couple of duds translating to seasonal rot. Because by this logic, I'm calling season 1 bad.

• Brohoof 18

(edited)

Every season this happens. First 8 or so episodes of a season, none of the episodes are the epitome of writing perfection, a dud or two happen, and people begin shouting "ROT", "IT'S GOING DOWNHILL", "IT'S ALL OVER :(  :(  :( :( " and then we get a good episode and everything's back to normal

It's like the MLP version of the Zelda or the Sonic Cycles

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 6

Okay, let me throw in my two bits up in here.

Seasonal rot... right. The season has seven episodes under its belt, not even half-way through its expected run, and it's already going through rot?

Right.

Starlight joining the Mane Six. Considering how Season Five's finale happened, it makes every bit of sense for her to stay on. It shows that she's got fans, and she's trying to rehabilitate. She obviously shows regret for what she did in Season Five and is spending this season overcoming it. Which is perfect - if she got over it all in the one finale, it would make no sense and everyone would be even more enraged.

You want Starlight to go through the same amount of development the Mane Six had? In seven episodes?

Let me remind you that the Mane Six have been around for SIX SEASONS. Do you honestly expect the writers to stuff five years of development into seven weeks?

Because I don't.

Not every episode is based around Starlight, because if they were, people will still complain that the Mane Six aren't getting the spotlight.

And for those who complain about the latter, let me just point out that a handful of episodes focused around Starlight this season. The rest were on the Mane Six. The main characters.

Oh, and for those complaining Starlight is only around to sell merchandise?

A. There's hardly been any Starlight merchandise released by Hasbro.

B. MY LITTLE PONY IS A TOY FRANCHISE. THE SHOW ITSELF WAS MADE TO SELL MERCHANDISE.

Yes, this season has seen some clunkers, but isn't it the same for every single show we like? Episodes we do like and episodes we don't?

Yes, a schedule mishap regarding the latest episode, but I repeat what I just said, every show has clunkers.

Final note, in total agreement with Megas there. If next week's episode is good, the rage is going to stop.

I've been in this fandom for five years, I know how it works.

Give the writers a break. 

• Brohoof 11

Okay, let me throw in my two bits up in here.

Seasonal rot... right. The season has seven episodes under its belt, not even half-way through its expected run, and it's already going through rot?

Right.

Starlight joining the Mane Six. Considering how Season Five's finale happened, it makes every bit of sense for her to stay on. It shows that she's got fans, and she's trying to rehabilitate. She obviously shows regret for what she did in Season Five and is spending this season overcoming it. Which is perfect - if she got over it all in the one finale, it would make no sense and everyone would be even more enraged.

You want Starlight to go through the same amount of development the Mane Six had? In seven episodes?

Let me remind you that the Mane Six have been around for SIX SEASONS. Do you honestly expect the writers to stuff five years of development into seven weeks?

Because I don't.

Not every episode is based around Starlight, because if they were, people will still complain that the Mane Six aren't getting the spotlight.

And for those who complain about the latter, let me just point out that a handful of episodes focused around Starlight this season. The rest were on the Mane Six. The main characters.

Oh, and for those complaining Starlight is only around to sell merchandise?

A. There's hardly been any Starlight merchandise released by Hasbro.

B. MY LITTLE PONY IS A TOY FRANCHISE. THE SHOW ITSELF WAS MADE TO SELL MERCHANDISE.

Yes, this season has seen some clunkers, but isn't it the same for every single show we like? Episodes we do like and episodes we don't?

Yes, a schedule mishap regarding the latest episode, but I repeat what I just said, every show has clunkers.

Final note, in total agreement with Megas there. If next week's episode is good, the rage is going to stop.

I've been in this fandom for five years, I know how it works.

Give the writers a break. 

Pretty much self-explanatory. What this smart man said ^ XD

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Like topics about "Bronydom is going to end", I've seen this sort of topic numerous times before like others have said. I feel that people are most nostalgic about season 2 and 3, but I generally find episodes more enjoyable every passing season.

Season 6 has been on the average side for me. The only wowing episode so far was the recent one, but I don't take a bunch of average episodes and a couple of duds translating to seasonal rot. Because by this logic, I'm calling season 1 bad.

I enjoy watching season 1 especially as it reminds me of a time when Bronydom was new. But I would personally probably consider it the worst season of the entire series; I feel we saw more of the show's potential in the later seasons. Perhaps Bronies in general developed a higher standard for the show over the years.

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna
  • Brohoof 3

The series has always been of very mixed quality, but I feel that it's been thoroughly lackluster at best as of late. I haven't loved a single episode from start to finish since Lost Mark, and honestly found post-Lost Mark Season 5 to be something of a trainwreck, never rising above mediocrity outside of The Mane Attraction; even that episode had a rather disappointing script that didn't do justice to its astounding ending songs. While Season 6 has thankfully thus far avoided the lows of, say, The Hooffields and McColts or The One Where Pinkie Knows, it's yet to do anything of particular worth, either. The only standout moment was Luna's song in the latest episode, and even that was bogged down by being part of an uninspired adaptation of a story that I'm sick to death of at this point.

Compounding my tepid reception to recent episodes is the recent series of changes to the writing staff. Keating Rogers and Larson, the two most consistently good writers the show has ever had, have left the series, in all likelihood permanently, while, in an absolutely baffling turn of events, Josh Haber, a writer whose entries range from bland but inoffensive to some of the worst in the entire series, was promoted to showrunner.

I'm not about to give up on the series entirely, but I can't help but feel that its best days are behind it.

One way or another, the next episode will likely determine my opinion of the series' future. Rarity's career episodes have thus far been, without exception, absolutely fantastic, and I'll be elated if that streak continues. Conversely, if even it fails to deliver, any hope I have for this season will likely be gone until further notice.

• Brohoof 1

We've had multiple threads about this dating back as early as season 3. Whenever someone says, "MLP is going through season rot because insert reason here," I usually translate that to, "I've lost interest in the show and should really take a break or stop watching it to avoid hurting myself."

Maybe if the show had better writing, people wouldn't be saying that all the time. Take off your rose tinted glasses, the show is written for little girls with nothing intelligent or thought provoking about it. That's probably why people loose interest. 

• Brohoof 1

Maybe if the show had better writing, people wouldn't be saying that all the time. Take off your rose tinted glasses, the show is written for little girls with nothing intelligent or thought provoking about it. That's probably why people loose interest. 

So just because I don't agree with you on the show at it's current state means I have rose tinted glasses? Okay then.

• Brohoof 9

Just because you don't like his opinion, dosen't mean he has "rose tinted glasses."

His opinion is as much worth as anybody elses.

• Brohoof 6

So just because I don't agree with you on the show at it's current state means I have rose tinted glasses? Okay then.

Rose tinted because you and others think the show is so damn special, and when people complain that it isn't, you think it just because "lost interest".

If the show was truly good, people wouldn't be saying that nearly as much.

• Brohoof 1

OP saw the episodes already and didn't like them. Bringing up older threads like that is pointless. The show was never a master of storytelling anyway, it's all been done before.

Criticizing the show for bad writing and hoping the writers improve isn't fan pandering.

There was a point though. I wanted to highlight the consistency in which this claim is made over the last few seasons since it is an intriguing narrative with any fandom. I admit that there is a bit of hindsight bias due to the general positive reception the prior seasons received. In the end, any claim of 'seasonal rot' should be open to a compare/contrast statement.

As far as my point regarding an aforementioned season being a masterclass (or master class) ... that has little to do with originality, and more to do with how thematic, structural, character, functional, and narrative elements are interwoven to form a complete product.

Without any true testable hyposisis that can be replicated, it simply stands as one opinion countering another.

Rose tinted because you and others think the show is so damn special, and when people complain that it isn't, you think it just because "lost interest".

See, this is where you make a huge and hypocritical mistake.

While you say, that we generalize the people who don't like the show, just "lose interest," you generalize us, by saying that we just have "rose tinted glasses."

At the end of the day, it's a matter of opinion and taste.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

You better check the polls again.

Episode 01 + 02

sig-4519312.mCvy00L.png

Episode 03

sig-4519312.DlZxQks.png

Episode 4

sig-4519312.Q9aFrlR.png

Episode 5

sig-4519312.SQhShSz.png

Episode 6

sig-4519312.9ntezNE.png

Episode 7

sig-4519312.yie59P8.png

Episode 8

sig-4519312.clggari.png

"Seasonal rot", huh? Well the majority of people thinks something else. ;)

Edited by SOM3D4Y
  • Brohoof 5

(edited)

I don't care about the polls. They don't represent everyone, and it has nothing to do with my argument. 

Lol.

Okay, I see where this is going. Only your opinion matters, huh?

And of course everyone who doesn't like the episodes didn't vote in the poll.

Makes sense 10/10

Edited by SOM3D4Y
  • Brohoof 3

Lol.

Okay, I see where this is going. Only your opinion matters, huh?

And of course everyone who doesn't like the episodes didn't vote in the poll.

Makes sense 10/10

Because everyone voted on them right? The polls are absolute and define what everybody thinks, right? No.

I'm not talking about majority vote anyway, especially not on a fan site where bias comes into the equation far more.

It's people that sugar coat the show and talk down any criticism I'm complaining about. 

@@1CJB, So far most of the replies I've seen here were pretty objective and most people brought some facts. Yet you've been talking about everone sugar coating the show all the time.

So are you just gonna keep repeating yourself or will actually show us some facts?

You're literally using the same argument over and over again. Don't you realize that the people who still enjoy the show totally outnumber the people who don't?

I'm not having a problem with anyone saying his personal opinion here, but you should at least try to look at the situation a bit more objectively.

• Brohoof 1

Alright enough is enough, chill out guys. Stop trying to fight each other and keep things on topic.

Im not going to repeat myself.

• Brohoof 6

Eh, Gotta agree with OP. Its been a pretty bland season so far, IMO, and the entire meta-plot of this season is more or less "starlight" who I do not GIVE A CRAP about.

Like, S4? I was interested in that box. S5? The map. This season? Screw starlight, and not in a way that'd be pleasurable for her :P

The fact that RD's wonderbolt episode was one of the WORST episodes of the SERIES isn't helping either :/ Like hell, that was MMDW tier.

This is typical Hasbro marketing, really. The only reason Starlight was added as a main character is to sell merchandise off her. And I'm guessing they didn't really have much story to add onto her, which is a shame. In my opinion, she seems like she could've been an interesting character to develop on in the show. Like, take a look on her past, develop her personality further like they've been doing with the actual main 6.

Honestly, giving Twilight students or a student isn't a bad idea: Twilght's Goal was always to basically "Be" Celestia as much as possible, and Becoming a teacher is a good next step, plus it synchs up well with her Role as the princess of friendship.

The problem is that Starlight's just not coming off well. HELL, I'd rather have SUNBURST as her student XD
He's a guy I LIKE.

• Brohoof 5

I wanted the show to end after season 4 becasue i thought it was the perfect timing to end it, but im glad they continued.

Starlight is the best thing that happend to this show.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Season 6 hasn't felt that different from other seasons to me. Some very good episodes, some kinda meh. So no, I wouldn't say the show is going through seasonal rot at all. If anything, I'd say seasons 5 and 6 have been better than seasons 1, 2, and 3, as I feel there have been less "stinker" episodes in 5 and 6.

Edited by TheSqueelyOne
  • Brohoof 1