Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

web Any old famous websites that are barely used now?

HoovesOnIce

I'm pretty sure MySpace kinda died out. Not too revised in the history of the internet. :P

It seems pretty updated and active. Hasn't really died out but it is a piece of internet history.

• Brohoof 1

I remember a lot of sites I visited that are either dead or gone nowadays. Hell, one day this site will be a relic of the past lost into the archives of the internet, as it is with fan sites.

I remember a lot of sites I visited that are either dead or gone nowadays. Hell, one day this site will be a relic of the past lost into the archives of the internet, as it is with fan sites.

Remember any of the names?

Remember any of the names?

Sure!

I remember a long time ago when I was young I frequented Shadow Underground, an old Sonic fansite that was pretty popular for its time. It's long gone now though. There's tons of sites I remember being "more" popular but now I almost never meet anyone who claims they use them like Gaiaonline of Fanfiction.net.

Yeah, my brother used to be on Gaia all the time, but then it like, suddenly got vaporized. Same with MySpace

My Friends owned one of the biggest Super Mario Bros Z Fan Forums once, but then the Series got cancelled and the Side died out.

I also remember the Side Foren-City, in which you could create your own Forums for free, but the Servers went done and its long gone now.

My Friends owned one of the biggest Super Mario Bros Z Fan Forums once, but then the Series got cancelled and the Side died out.

I also remember the Side Foren-City, in which you could create your own Forums for free, but the Servers went done and its long gone now.

I remember watching Super Mario bros Z. I never understood it but it sure was awesome.

homestarrunner.com

That wonderful website has been around since before youtube, and is still kicking! I bet it had a ton more traffic back in the day.

The Space Jam website (just search space jam)

A living time capsule of 90s cheese and website design.

404pagefound.com

This site has links to old websites that still work

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

@@LotusPeony,

Tumblr's still pretty popular nowadays, actually. One of the biggest fanbase-based sites.

Fanfiction.net and dreamwidth have pretty much been punched into obscurity by ao3 and tumblr, myspace punched into obscurity by tumblr, gaia and neopets were pretty popular but I hear nothing about them now. 

Edited by Shift

Sodahead.com. I frequented that site quite a bit. Got Rank 18/20 It's a polling site taken to the Nth degree. You vote on polls set up by the staff and by other users, then discuss the results in the comment section in a thumbs up/down capacity. That site was super advanced. The poll options were YouTube equipped. You could search for and attach a video to each option and type lengthy responses. This was back in 2013 and this was ahead of the stuff we have now in YT comment sections. But you think Tumblr has it's debate drama? You should've seen Soadahead. You got called out by die-hards on all sides. Stopped going after I found this place. When I visited last year, turns out the company was bought and the site staff locked up all the accounts, saying they were now gonna focus on selling the polling software to news sites. Wiki has it listed as a 'dead domain'.

Now not sure if you all knew this but Pro wresltign was big ifrom 95-01. The monday night wars between WCW & WWF had 12 million people watching wrestling on any given Monday. And for 84 weeks, World Championship Wrestling was the biggest wrestling company on the planet. Then WWF's superior product, plus WCW poor creative & business decisions, plus AOL/Time warner merger equaled WCW's death and the site getting shut down. 

Napster...not sure if that's a thing still or not. Also Limewie/Frostwire...

Napster got shut down in like 03. Killed by Lars Ulrich. 

Fanfiction.net and dreamwidth have pretty much been punched into obscurity by ao3 and tumblr, myspace punched into obscurity by tumblr, gaia and neopets were pretty popular but I hear nothing about them now. 

Used to be big into Neopets myself, but if I recall character redesigns and pay to play features pretty much killed it. Shame. They had a good thing going.  

Course, if you're all curious abbot these sites, you can find them on 

https://archive.org/web/

• Brohoof 1

Wetpaint (wikifoundry now?), FanFiction.net, Serebii.net, early 2000's comic series based upon mostly fanon content, and some really old 90's fanfiction archive websites for DC Comics. Now that I think of it, pretty all my really old, buried site frequents have to do with fanfiction. :P Goes to show how much I read the stuff lol

Xanga! Xanga was like the way to do blog-based social networking before My Space and Facebook. Quite a few of my high school friends/acquaintances had one. I even met a couple on there. One of my best friends over the years is someone I initially met on there.

But that's all over a decade ago. I think I stopped updating regularly in 2007, IIRC. It might have been sooner than that.

• Brohoof 2

Napster...not sure if that's a thing still or not. Also Limewie/Frostwire...

Oh GOD the memories. Freakin' limewire.

Serebii.net

Serebii is still very popular though.

The only thing I can think of is limewire and myspace.. I know a looot of old popular websites but most of them are swedish so you won't recognize them anyway.

Not sure if AOL counts. It's still updated but it's not nearly as big as it used to be.

I do know of one site that definitely counts. It's called powerpuff.com. I never used it but I found out about it looking at old threads on the ToonZone forums. It was a fan site for The Powerpuff Girls. From what I was able to gather, it had forums, an episode guide, games, and other stuff. I wish I could've used it, but it's gone now. I'm not entirely sure when it closed, but I think it was sometime in 2010. But I'm not sure if it closed then or was moved to a new URL and Web Archive didn't catch it (it had actually moved once already by that point). Unfortunately, it's hard finding information on it outside what you can find on Web Archive because Googling powerpuff.com doesn't return much.

A few years back, I was really into this Fusionfall Forum and I enjoyed spending a lot of time on it, just like I do with these ones.

But it eventually shut down and now I can't remember the name of it.