Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Do Dog Owners Always Think That I Want My Dogs To Mix And Mingle With Theirs

chaosprincess

Hello everybody I don't know if this has happened to you, but this seems to happen quite often to me where I will be walking my dogs minding my own business and another person either walking one dog or 2 will automatically assume that my dogs and their dog(s) should mix and mingle and be the best of friends so they end up trying to shove their dog(s) in my dogs face and I get an attitude from them every time I avoid them which I really don't care I was always taught you don't shove dogs at each other that is how fights break out, but its just soooo annoying to me so has anybody else had this problem before? please do tell your story.

• Brohoof 1

Oh yes. This happens to me all the time! It's getting so exhausting! Once, when I was walking down the street, walking my dog of course, this other family was walking their dog too and they were all like Look! There's another dog! You can go mingle with them! And it takes up my time of course, too.

I don't have a dog, but last time I walked my rabbit (yes, a stupid idea) I met a person walking their dog and they wanted predator and prey to mingle... And it was a really bad idea because the dog wanted to eat the rabbit, it seems like.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Oh yes. This happens to me all the time! It's getting so exhausting! Once, when I was walking down the street, walking my dog of course, this other family was walking their dog too and they were all like Look! There's another dog! You can go mingle with them! And it takes up my time of course, too.

Your right it does get exhausting and its difficult to avoid them sometimes, but it is time consuming I had this couple I think they were a couple and I had to cross the street with my dogs due to they were literally following us with their Chihuahua they were hoping I would allow my dogs to mingle with their Chihuahua, but my dogs have been attacked by dogs who's owners said their dog(s) is friendly so I don't trust other peoples dogs anymore and I move my dogs away from other dogs to prevent it.

I don't have a dog, but last time I walked my rabbit (yes, a stupid idea) I met a person walking their dog and they wanted predator and prey to mingle... And it was a really bad idea because the dog wanted to eat the rabbit, it seems like.

I am not surprised with that to be honest dog owners automatically think their dog(s) can be friends with anything and they claim they are friendly as can be and then they snap.

Edited by chaosprincess
  • Brohoof 1

Your right it does get exhausting and its difficult to avoid them sometimes, but it is time consuming I had this couple I think they were a couple and I had to cross the street with my dogs due to they were literally following us with their chiwawa they were hoping I would allow my dogs to mingle with their chiwawa, but my dogs have been attacked by dogs their owners claimed were friendly so I no longer allow dogs to go near mine.

I am not surprised with that to be honest dog owners automatically think their dog(s) can be friends with anything and they claim they are friendly as can be and then they snap.

Especially with prey. I mean, my rabbit could have been dead meat back then... :/

(edited)

Too many dog owners assume everyone wants to play with their dog. When my family used to have a dog, we kept him away when other dog owners came walking along. Our dog was finicky; sometimes he wanted to play with others and sometimes he wanted to rip them a new one. 

If I'd wanted to play with more than one animal, or felt my dog needed a playmate, I'd have gotten another one of my own. I don't know the habits of other animals; whether they're friendly or not, whether they've been fixed or not, and what I should be concerned about. If I'm well acquainted with someone and know what their pet's disposition is, I may consider it if everyone's okay with it. But not with complete strangers. That's just asking for trouble. 

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 2

Could be people trying to 'show off' their dogs. If one takes pride in their dog(s), I guess that's fine, but to treat them like trophies is not necessary. I have not experienced this myself, but it seems to be a common thing for some, which is a shame.

This is a pretty common thing, it seems. >.>'

Its amazing how common it is because you would think that people would have common courtesy to not approach other people with dogs especially when you don't know the dogs.

Too many dog owners assume everyone wants to play with their dog. When my family used to have a dog, we kept him away when other dog owners came walking along. Our dog was finicky; sometimes he wanted to play with others and sometimes he wanted to rip them a new one. 

If I'd wanted to play with more than one animal, or felt my dog needed a playmate, I'd have gotten another one of my own. I don't know the habits of other animals; whether they're friendly or not, whether they've been fixed or not, and what I should be concerned about. If I'm well acquainted with someone and know what their pet's disposition is, I may consider it if everyone's okay with it. But not with complete strangers. That's just asking for trouble. 

I agree one of my dogs is the same way sometimes he'll want to play with other dogs, but then other times he just wants to be left alone and its just amazing how many owners do it its like if I wanted my dogs to meet theirs I would approach them not shove my dogs at them which is what people do I move to the side to avoid and they give an attitude or try to put their dog closer to mine its kind of frustrating, but I am happy to have made this topic its nice reading other peoples experience due to sometimes it can people who having this problem and your right animals are unpredictable just like people owners can say their dog(s) is the most kindest in the world, but then it just attacks so its hard to trust strangers animals and not only that their dog(s) could be sick and they won't say anything so your animal can get it.

Could be people trying to 'show off' their dogs. If one takes pride in their dog(s), I guess that's fine, but to treat them like trophies is not necessary. I have not experienced this myself, but it seems to be a common thing for some, which is a shame.

I agree animals are not trophies they are living breathing creatures and people should have more respect for their dog(s) and try to keep them safe instead of putting them into a predicament that could get them hurt or killed.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

My coworkers Pomeranian was attacked by a couples pit bull because they approached them with their dog trying to get them to interact.

I had a hair stylist say the same sort of story only her dog was killed by the other dog. My coworkers dog lived.

People who don’t know how to raise and take care of dogs shouldn’t have them. Just because your dog is friendly to you doesn’t mean it’s going to be friendly to other people or their animals. 

If both dogs seem friendly towards one another, fine, let them interact. If not, just walk the other way. My dog was friendly enough to other dogs but was introverted for the most part, so she'd dip her head down at dogs she didn't want to interact with. I think like with interacting with people, they shouldn't be forced to be friendly if it doesn't work out (the exception being in a business setting, I suppose).

• Brohoof 1

I am not a dog owner, but that sounds very annoying. I usually try to avoid dog walkers as much as possible so I don't get attacked