Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has My Little Pony been nothing but a joke all this time?

onlyone

People that express negativity about certain parts of the show only do it because they loved the show to begin with.  I don't see how that would sway your opinion on the entire series.   These people love the show just as much as you do.   But they shouldn't be ignored either.   Their opinion is just as important as anyone's and the content creators should listen to them.   I for one find Season 6 to be an utter bore fest so far.   Does that mean I hate the entire series?  Nope, I still enjoy Season 1-5.  Would gladly watch them again. 

@Eloquence

All right let me set things straight. I love the episodes of Season 6 and I mean all of them while (in my mind) everyone hates them. To name the episodes that "everyone hates," there is The Crystalling, Newbie Dash, and No Second Prances. To clarify, I can continue to perceive the show however I want and just pretend that these haters are nonexistent. Is that what you're saying? That my personal enjoyment of these episodes and the other seasons is not unwarranted and worthless and not dictated by what others say?

Yes, that's exactly right. Particularly the "(in my mind)" portion, as it is good that you are recognizing that this is a product of your mind being nervous and focusing on negative opinions. I know of lots of people who enjoy season six, even those episodes you mentioned. I myself particularly enjoyed No Second Prances. The more insecure you feel about something, the more your mind wants to focus on the people with opposing views rather than those who agree with you. That's why there are both people who say that everyone is too hard on later seasons and people who say that everyone is too soft on them. If you can work on feeling more comfortable in your own opinions, I think you'll find that in fact plenty of people enjoy the same episodes you do, and even if you don't that's still okay because the only person who needs to enjoy them is you.

(edited)

To add to this is it wrong for me to like

The Crystalling?

Gift of the Maud Pie?
On Your Marks?

Gauntlet of Fire?

No Second Prances?
Newbie Dash?

A Hearth's Warming Tale?

The Saddle Row Review?

AJ's Day Off?

Flutter Brutter?

Spice Up Your Life?

I have liked these episodes when "everyone else hates them." The scathing reactions to Newbie Dash were the final straw with my relationship to the fandom. I already fear that everyone else wants my head on a stick for liking them and that they'll say I'm delusional/demented/insane to say that they are good when they are actually, objectively horrible.

Look at this reply from another post I made.

User: Jackie: sleepy mare

Man, season 6 was a total snoozefest and I thought 4 and 5 sucked.

But in all seriousness, why do you give a shit about others not liking the show?

By the way, the show is going to hell and my opinion shouldn't affect you.

Edited by onlyone

(edited)

@@onlyone,

Depends on what you're actually wanting to understand when going over this thread.

I was going to answer some of your OP but since the discussion has moved to about 4 pages, I'm just going to jump to your current question.

I feel like @@Eloquence, actually answered though, a lot of your original questions (maybe directly, maybe indirectly).

So I'm going to be very particular with what you specifically wrote in your last post.

To add to this is it wrong for me to like

This question is pretty much ambiguous to me, in my opinion. My thoughts are that, there isn't a "wrong" or "right" answer to this question since it's a question that is pretty much asking others for their thoughts on the subject.  It's not really a mathematical question like, what is the answer to "5 + 8 = ?" where there is only one right answer. The type of question you ask is open-ended, and as such, will get a variety of answers and response to it.  So sure, there could be someone saying "yeah season 6 sucks", there can also be "well season 6 isn't the best, but it's not the worst season to date, just inconsistent" to "I feel like season 6 has produced some of the best episodes because of these reasons..." to "season 6 has had some mishaps, and some pretty awful episodes, but there's a couple of rare shinning episodes that at least bring it back to fair par with previous episodes" and even "season 6 is just plain awful, after the poor execution of this episode, followed by etc etc etc"  to even "I like season 6, it's been pretty great".  

The point I'm getting at is that the question you're asking will get a variety of answers, some responses that might feel more common then others, but you have to try a look around to get a wider response to see what others also think.  You're really just getting a small "sampling" response whenever you open a new discussion and that's to be expected (since you can't realistically get a response from EVERYONE on the forum (nor everyone in the fandom as well)).  So understand this, with open-ended ambiguous questions that ask for people's thoughts and opinions on things, well you're going to get a range of responses. Maybe there might be a "common-ish" response, but remember as well, you're only getting a small sample number of the responses from everyone on here. (Not everyone responds to every thread they see).

I already fear that everyone else wants my head on a stick for liking them and that they'll say I'm delusional/demented/insane to say that they are good when they are actually, objectively horrible.

Secondly. I feel that trying to produce "objectivity" on trying to argue what is considered "excellent quality" of a particular season or episode is pointless because I feel like there is no "objective scale" when it comes to saying why this particular episode is great or why this other episode is horrible. I feel the answer is a lot more complex, and it really just depends on what in particular you're trying to measure. People all give different reasons as to why they felt this episode was "bad" or why this episode was "good".  Everyone comes from a different perspective and that's fine, you get used to that once you see the world around you. So being objective around these things can be (what I feel) very tricky and elusive and maybe not exactly existent. If anything, maybe it exists in a general form, and maybe I miss that. But I feel like, having an objective form does not mean or even guarantee that another viewer will like it for these "objective reasons" (they might even reject it because they don't see it in that perspective either). 

Most reviewers will try to give you a well thought-out review of whatever episode they reviewed.  Reviewers will generally pick out things differently from say an average viewer. They look for specific details, or make note of some particular characteristic of an episode or other things that maybe you would not notice unless you had a keen eye for these specific mechanics about an the production of an episode. The point is that reviewers generally make more complex reviews about episodes because they're experienced in looking for the details and pointing them out. These details can be pointed out as being flaws or mistakes to suggest possibly poor quality. But other times, they're pointed out to suggest as things that can be improved upon for the creator to be more aware of.  Other times, reviews can also be more focused about giving one's opinion of an episode in a (hopefully) well-constructed manner; to explain why they feel this particular episode had a poor execution of a plot for these particular reasons. But does it make them right? Who knows, it's their opinion. But (hopefully) at least it's a more well thought-out and constructed opinion that has some understanding to it. (it's generally a well-expressed opinion and not a specific attack).

(kind of side-tracked there, my bad). Going back, no one is going to be trying to have your head on a stick for liking a particular episode that they themself didn't like. If they are, that just means they're being spiteful towards you and it's not really worth your time to communicate with them anymore if they're going to continue being aggressive towards you in particular. (It's also against the rules here to verbally attack another person on this forum out of spite). In general though with this forum, it's pretty civil and fairly friendly on this forum compared to other places I can think of. So you shouldn't feel as though you're under attack for liking anything.

As previous user Jackie: sleepy mare might have stated earlier that their opinion was that they felt season 4 and 5 were awful and that season 6 was boring to them.  But that's all that is, an opinion of what they think, being expressed by them. That's just their thoughts, not a measure of objectivity by any standard whatsoever.

Lastly, if you don't want to continue watching the show, that is a decision entirely made by you and that's all. 

If you want me to give an answer to your original question about "Is it wrong that you like these particular episodes?" - then my response is this, no.

That's my opinion/thoughts.

Edited by pony.colin