Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has My Little Pony been nothing but a joke all this time?

onlyone

The fact is, some of the show's absolute best episodes have been this season. 

That isn't a fact. What is a fact is that you think that some of the show's absolute best episodes have been this season.  

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I want to express my anger about this. I have been a fan ever since the beginning of S2 and have loved this show like I've never loved any TV show before. When I heard about the fans I firmly believed that I found individuals who have the desire to use this show's morals to improve themselves as well as the rest of the world.

But now with all the recent criticisms made by the fandom towards every last episode in S6, I am really starting to believe otherwise. I have a lot of questions about this.

Is the wish to enjoy the show and take its optimism to heart a lost cause?

A dream that is only conceived by naïve fools?

Have I wasted approximately 4-5 years watching an imperfect show?

Was my decision to watch the show a squandering of my life?

Are the VAs and staff whom I so admire wasting their talents on this?

Is the fandom really right about the show going down the drain?

Is My Little Pony one of the worst, no, the absolute worst thing to ever exist?

Most importantly, should it all just disappear so there is one less imperfection in the world, TV quality shall soon be completely destroyed leading to its sad demise and the world should just go back to tearing itself apart?

I already missed Flutter Brutter and Spice Up Your Life and I am already too frightened by even watching a second of them because all that I will see afterwards is nothing but slander about them and that of all the future material of the show. If you want to shoot me for being a coward or whatever reason go ahead. I don't care anymore what happens to me because I feel so worthless enjoying S6 as well as all the other seasons when everyone else has nothing good to say anymore. I am on the brink of abandoning the thing that I so dearly loved and I don't know what to do. Not that anyone here has anything supportive or encouraging to say.

I agree with you to some degree in that it does seem like this is the case.  Rest assured though, that most of the bash threads are created by the same sort of inner circle of people.  And they do NOT reflect the opinions of the vast majority of the fanbase.

But I have to say that this is what happens when you have a site that has so many character and season bash threads.  How many Flurry Heart bash threads did we have before?  Like a dozen?  How many times did people bash Twilicorn?  I actually couldn't count them all, but they're probably archived here somewhere.

You can have ONE topic for each and get the point across without needing to flood the site with bash threads.  So I can definitely see how aggravating it can be at times.

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 1

That isn't a fact. What is a fact is that you think that some of the show's absolute best episodes have been this season.  

I don't really get what is supposed to come out of this little rhetorical hissy fit. Are you saying that no top shelf episodes have come out of the season so far? Every episode is terrible? Or are you just pointing out the only aspect of a post you don't like that you can objectively say is technically inaccurate? Because I don't get what this has to do with the main point of the discussion.

I've seen numerous sense of MLPFIM or Bronydom apocalypse, but this is perhaps the most extreme case I've seen to date.

Wait a while, you'll see some more. :P

Maybe you just took the show way too seriously.

This to the nth degree. So many people in this fandom take this show far too seriously, it's just a show, this isn't a way of life.

(edited)
Wait a while, you'll see some more.

No kidding.  It actually gets to the point where it's almost a fun game to see what some people here will come up with next.

Every time something happens in the show that someone doesn't like, they immediately talk about how this is the end of MLP, or this is doomsday, or some other such nonsense.

I will say right now, none of the things that have happened in the show up to this point have 'doomed' it, nor WILL such things doom it.  The show is way too popular to be destroyed by what happens in a filler episode or by what happens with a supporting character.  That's not going to be enough to 'doom' this show.

In order for a show like this to really doom itself, it has to do something so ridiculous, so over-the-top, so outright ludicrously insane, that it would not only wake up the biggest couch sloth who was sitting there wondering why this series was running longer than Dragonball, but would also be so infamous that it would be talked about for years, long after the show was cancelled as a result of it.

I have some ideas of what could cause a show like FiM to 'doom itself', but many of them sound either akin to Fan Fiction or Creepypasta, I don't think it would be very appropriate for me to talk about them on this topic.

So yeah, this show is fine right now.  And people will still panic about how something that they don't like happens in the show and somehow 'dooms it'.  And then the whole thing is forgotten in a week again, just like Flurry Heart.  Fandoms are like waves.  They ebb and flow.

But I will say this.  When you see a forum flooded with topics all complaining, character bashing, and panicking about how the show is 'doomed', and just how ridiculous some people act when something happens in their favorite show, it's actually really funny.

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 2

In order for a show like this to really doom itself, it has to do something so ridiculous, so over-the-top, so outright ludicrously insane, that it would not only wake up the biggest couch sloth who was sitting there wondering why this series was running longer than Dragonball, but would also be so infamous that it would be talked about for years, long after the show was cancelled as a result of it.

Ratings can also doom a show, and the mlp viewership has been going way down.

@,Except that the writers, specifically Jim Miller said that Rating don't affect the show and no one should pay attention to them.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2015/10/ratings-as-explained-by-big-jim.html

Besides, the show relies more on toy sale than show ratings, so viewer ratings can be abysmal, but if the toys are selling well, the show will stay afloat.

Not all shows rely on ratings.

@,Except that the writers, specifically Jim Miller said that Rating don't affect the show and no one should pay attention to them.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2015/10/ratings-as-explained-by-big-jim.html

Besides, the show relies more on toy sale than show ratings, so viewer ratings can be abysmal, but if the toys are selling well, the show will stay afloat.

Not all shows rely on ratings.

Jim didn't say that ratings don't affect the show in that tweet.

@,No, he didn't, but if he says that the ratings should not be paid attention to, I don't think it's nonsense to say ratings don't affect the show. Besides, no matter how good or bad the show does in terms of quality, it's still a toy commercial, and if the toys are selling, the show will be fine.

(edited)

Ratings can also doom a show, and the mlp viewership has been going way down.

True, but ratings don't doom a show overnight.  Especially not a product-driven show.  What will most likely doom this show is either the aforementioned bombshell event happening in the show (something happening that cannot be undone), or if product sales tank horribly.  And from what I've seen, these two things aren't happening any time soon.

Really, the biggest concern anyone should have regarding the show at this point is the movie.  Not because it might not do well or anything like that (though that's certainly a possibility), but rather because movies based on a product-driven show have a reputation of causing major changes to the status quo, in order to sell more products (because what better opportunity to sell toys than when fans are gathered in one place).  We already know there will be at least six new characters introduced in this movie, and there's a better-than-average chance that we'll learn of more than that as the release date draws near.

Edited by SBaby

Guys, keep things on topic please. This thread has already seen a number of posts removed due to the fact that they were nothing about the topic at hand. Keep this in mind as you continue the discussion, no going off topic and no call out other members.

(edited)

@@onlyone

I would throw a joke in here about you going mad, but that would just make the situation worse, so I will respond with this:

Your opinion about Season 6 is fine. Great. Fantastic. Groovy.

Just because everyone else hates Season 6 doesn't mean that you have to hate it too.

There will be many things you love that everyone else hates and you won't have to care about not being mainstream. You'll have to be an Opinion Hipster many times in your life, and that's OK.

Keep doing what you're doing, because in the grand scheme of things, nobody can stop you from enjoying S6 except you.

The mass brony fandom seems to be easily angered. Change is bad in the mind of a lot of people in this fandom. They liked the earlier episodes and don't like where the show is going, so they complain about the new episodes like they're almost objectively bad.

There have been a few ups and downs in the show, but just because your view of the show was forcibly changed by the overlords at Hasbro doesn't mean you have to reclaim your view's dominance by needlessly nitpicking the new view.

Everyone has their opinions on where the show should go, including the people who make it. Accept that, please.

Edited by Lonk Chase
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

@@onlyone

I would throw a joke in here about you going mad, but that would just make the situation worse, so I will respond with this:

Your opinion about Season 6 is fine. Great. Fantastic. Groovy.

How do I know you really mean that sincerely and that you didn't just pull it out from somewhere at the last minute? I'm suspicious of others because I always think they're lying.

Edited by onlyone

(edited)
How do I know you really mean that sincerely and that you didn't just pull it out from somewhere at the last minute? I'm suspicious of others because I always think they're lying.

Ok, look.  This has been cute so far, but I think it's time to stop mincing words here, because this is starting to get annoying.  You talk about how everyone is always negative about the show (even though it's obvious that a majority of people who watch the show aren't), and how that is causing you to somehow color your perspective of the show.

But you know what?  The only person on this entire topic that I've seen be outright negative about this show is you.  You're talking about how you don't want to watch the show until a majority of people say they like Season 6.  Well, right now people are telling you right now that Season 6 isn't that bad.  And you're basically ignoring them, or assuming they're lying.

What's the point of trying to convince you when it seems pretty clear that you've already made up your mind before making this topic?

Edited by SBaby

Ok, look.  This has been cute so far, but I think it's time to stop mincing words here, because this is starting to get annoying.  You talk about how everyone is always negative about the show (even though it's obvious that a majority of people who watch the show aren't), and how that is causing you to somehow color your perspective of the show.

But you know what?  The only person on this entire topic that I've seen be outright negative about this show is you.  You're talking about how you don't want to watch the show until a majority of people say they like Season 6.  Well, right now a majority of people are telling you right now that Season 6 isn't that bad.  And you're basically ignoring them, or assuming they're lying.

Why should we continue to waste our time trying to convince you when it seems pretty clear that you've already made up your mind before making this topic?

You know nothing about what I've seen. You know nothing about how my mind operates when it comes to matters like this.

This is something that I learned the hard way, and it kinda stuck with me for a while.

I'm a natural pessimist, yes, but I try to keep a positive outlook. And even though the fandom may say some episodes stink... I still enjoy them for what they are. Yes, the writing crew isn't perfect. Yes, the voice actors aren't perfect (well... some of them. JDL is bae XD) But the show has had these same problems since its beginning, and complaining or being down about it isn't going to make them go away.

If you want my honest opinion, I think that the show is evolving to reach a larger demographic. Just think about it -- the show is six years old; those seven to nine year olds who started watching the show in 2010 are now thirteen and fifteen, and thus the show is tackling more mature topics.

Just like the Equestria Girls franchise, which started out as a complete pile of horse crap but ended up telling a pretty good overall story, I think the staff can make it work. They're being given a lot of orders by Hasbro (push this new princess toy), but they're doing what they can to make it work in the show, and they deserve credit for that. I admit, they don't do it well all the time (coughcoughCadancecoughcough), but they sure try their hardest.

-- TL;DR the show is not a waste of time. It's definitely not perfect, but I dare you to try and find one that is. And as long as it keeps sending a positive message, even if the fandom starts hating it, I'll still be tuning in every Saturday morning.

(edited)

You know nothing about what I've seen. You know nothing about how my mind operates when it comes to matters like this.

I can tell you for a fact that no matter what you've seen, it's nothing compared to what I've seen.  That's all I'll say about THAT subject, because I don't think anybody wants me going over that again.

The thing is, I don't worry about the little things that happen on the Internet.  What people say online is inconsequential to me, unless it's regarding something I may or may not spend $60 on, and everybody's saying the same thing.  I see a show I like, I watch it.  I see a game I like, I play it.

The opinions of other people should never dictate how you feel about something or what your own opinion of it is.  If you let others affect your own personal views, then all you're doing is playing right into the Media trap, and if you let that kind of stuff control you, it'll be controlling you for the rest of your life.

Seriously, there is no reason to let things like the opinions of people on the Internet bother you, especially when it comes to a show like FiM, where the people giving out such opinions could be trolls or haters in disguise (I've personally seen more than a few on this very site). 

The bottom line is this.  If you TRULY do like the show, if you are really a fan of the show, you should at least give the season a fair chance before writing it off.  Yes, there has been negativity with it.  And yes, it's possible that you might not like it.  But on the other hand, you might find out that you DO like it.

And if you decide not to, don't make that decision because of what you see on the Internet.  Make that decision based on your own opinion of what you've seen in the show.

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 1

@@onlyone, Listen sugarcube, as someone who used to have a lot of anxiety surrounding liking and watching this show, let me give you a few bits of advice on how to cope with your anxiety. First off, it's easy to say "just don't listen to the haters", so I'm going to change that tune, and recommend that you turn off their voices. It's okay to take a step back from the fandom if you need to, it's okay to not engage people who are being negative and harsh, it's even okay to block or unfollow people. While listening to the opinions of others is important, your mental health is ultimately more important.

Second, you must come to understand that nothing is perfect, that every piece of media that has ever been or will ever be created has flaws. Strange as it may seem, I found it helpful to deal with this by becoming more of an analyst. By seeing the good and the bad in everything and understanding not just that I enjoy imperfect things but why I enjoy them, I found a lot of peace with myself and others.

Third, know that it is okay to be passionate about something "silly" like a TV series. My Little Pony was never just a show for me, it was a coping mechanism for my Anxiety disorder that taught me how to love myself while I was still surrounded by people who told me to hate myself. There is nothing wrong with coping with your struggles by seeking comfort in media, no matter how "silly" that media may seem, as long as you use it to move forward and better your life.

And finally, if you can work on all of these other things, and make peace with going against the views of others and enjoying what you enjoy without needing validation, you may also start to work on not harboring animosity towards "the haters", so to speak. There are people in this fandom who aggressively hate the later seasons, and use that hatred to try to build themselves and their opinions up by shoving down those who disagree with them, calling them "naive" or "weak" for not accepting their One True Opinion that the show is bad. Please understand, deep down these people are no different from you. They too seek validation for their opinions because they struggle to hold them on their own, they too feel alone no matter how many people agree with them. There is no side of the argument that is inherently more at peace, peace is only found when you can feel the way you feel without needing the majority of people to feel the same.

• Brohoof 1

Ironically, I'm almost certain that the "majority" of the fandom have been mostly positive towards season 6. In fact, I would honestly wager that you've come across more people with mixed opinions towards it, and far less people who have flat-out hated it.

That I agree with.

The reason you have insecurities is because you, like several others in the fandom, do not wish to entertain the notion that the show may have dropped in quality and season 6 really just isn't that good. So you've made this thread, probably hoping to create a circle-jerk of fans who are quick to proclaim the the show is still just as perfect as it ever was and that those who believe otherwise are simply content to hate it no matter what.

This, I disagree with. Not that the motivation assumption is completely impossible, but there is absolutely no way to deduce the OP's purpose here. Behavior is far more complicated and distill it down to "you wanted to create a circle-jerk" solely based on a couple of posts.

The three sentences that follow are all informed predictions of quality based on what typically occurs, so no qualms there.

Honestly, I truly doubt that there's a single person who has posted in this thread that truly cares whether or not you continue watching the show. It's perfectly fine if you continue watching and disagree with the notion that the show's quality has dropped, but it doesn't make the opposite opinion any less valid for those who hold it.

<Reagan>

There you go again.

</Reagan>

While I have no doubt that some couldn't care less, I know of at least two that do. If a person reaches self-actualization they can freely care about all sorts of things that would feel trivial to others. Then there are people like me that have MUCH bigger life altering issues, but even so there is a little bit of concern I have for the OP's general level of anxiety. You really should not be judging motivations over a medium like the internet. Then again, this medium tends to trick people into creating fully formed characters out on the people they talk to. This is why I say "Read my posts like Kermit the Frog". It is a nod to the fact that most of you are reading this post as an invention solely your own.

You also miss one major point that many in this thread have been trying to say. It isn't so much about judging a drop off in quality, it is a general sense of not wanting to look at the season favorably based on some less than glowing reviews that may not match your own personal view, and giving said reviews more weight than the counter opinion.

Opinions are important. even negative ones. I get things like opportunity cost with the time you need to devote to watching a show ... which is why we look for reviews and opinions before watching something. However ... I don't think anyone took the logical approach in this entire topic and used it as a soapbox for their own general viewpoints. It is acceptable to base viewing decisions on reviews as time is finite.

@Eloquence

All right let me set things straight. I love the episodes of Season 6 and I mean all of them while (in my mind) everyone hates them. To name the episodes that "everyone hates," there is The Crystalling, Newbie Dash, and No Second Prances. To clarify, I can continue to perceive the show however I want and just pretend that these haters are nonexistent. Is that what you're saying? That my personal enjoyment of these episodes and the other seasons is not unwarranted and worthless and not dictated by what others say?

Never let other people decide if you like something or not.

Onlyone:

Don't be angry.  I mean, I can see how you might. But consider this: the negativity you are getting is not so much about MLP FIM, it's about the Internet forum - not just this one, but social media as a whole. This sort of place just brings out the worst in a lot of people.  (Not all! - there's awesome people here!)

Those who say the fandom has gone to hell are mostly talking to hear their heads rattle. They may not even know any fans - just a bunch of anonymous "voices" on a forum.  I have met a few Bronies, and they were bright, positive, caring people.  I have 14 year old Brony friends, adult Brony friends, and I myself am 64. 

The other day I was having lunch with a friend, wearing (as usual) a Pony T-shirt, hoodie and wristband.  I young woman came over to out table and said, "I love your T-shirt and band!"  She was smiling, and seemed very warm and genuine.  She said she was a fan. I said I was too, and we brohoofed, and she went on her way.  She didn't need to do that.  Many would have been too embarrassed.  But she did, and it made my day.

I have only been watching MLP FIM for a couple of years, but it has literally changed my life.  Does it make me optimistic?  Yes!  Do I enjoy the show?  More, and more as time goes by.  The show isn't getting worse, it's evolving.  And sometimes people want things to stay exactly as they are.  But that's unrealistic. 

To my way of thinking, the show has improved.  And it was awesome to start with.  So no, you aren't wasting your time, and neither are those involved in making the show.   MLP FIM is a bright, warm little flame in a very dark world.  Soak up the warmth and look at those who are around you doing the same thing.  Forget the negative types. 

Love and Tolerance is alive.  Feel it and be it.  Fly your Pony flag and be happy.

Hugs,

GGB