Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's With All The Season 6 Hate?

OmegaBeamOfficial

Oh, hell no, I don't want her to be praised and rewarded for it. I want her have to face her problems and move on from them. I want her to be complex and grow.

To be fair, this is hardly anything new. Twilight has always been absolved of any wrongdoing, such as in "Lesson Zero", "A Canterlot Wedding", and "Magical Mystery Cure."

To be fair, this is hardly anything new. Twilight has always been absolved of any wrongdoing, such as in "Lesson Zero", "A Canterlot Wedding", and "Magical Mystery Cure."

Hey, at least "Lesson Zero" required her to learn from her mistakes! 

Hey, at least "Lesson Zero" required her to learn from her mistakes!

Still didn't make up for what a terrible episode it was, though. And, honestly, it was the ReMane Five who learned the lesson. Not sure what Twilight learned that she hadn't already learned in the past, though.

Still didn't make up for what a terrible episode it was, though. And, honestly, it was the ReMane Five who learned the lesson. Not sure what Twilight learned that she hadn't already learned in the past, though.

Watch your mouth; that's my favourite episode you're talking about. 

Twilight learned to not make a small problem into a big one, and that she doesn't always have to do everything perfectly. I don't remember her learning that previously. 

Twilight learned to not make a small problem into a big one, and that she doesn't always have to do everything perfectly. I don't remember her learning that previously.

But isn't that what most of the morals regarding Twilight as a character are about anyway? Not to worry about stuff? Even "Games Ponies Play" brought this flaw back despite Twilight having overcome it previously.

Temporarily locking. I tried.

Reopening since the topic should be easier to manage now. Again, it isn't what people say that usually causes a lock and thread bans, but how you say it. There are legitimate points of discussion here so reopening the thread.  

• Brohoof 2

There really hasn't been much character development for Starlight...I mean...we saw her once in No Second Prances and again in A Hearths Warming Tail. 

Also, this hasn't been a good season at all for Rainbow Dash....ugh...maybe that's where some of the hate is boiling. 

• Brohoof 1

So... I discovered this topic was locked for a little while. Guys, I appreciate your enthusiasm but can we please keep this discussion calm and collected? I don't want to end up causing online nuclear warfare by making a thread on a forum for fans of cartoon ponies.

So... I discovered this topic was locked for a little while. Guys, I appreciate your enthusiasm but can we please keep this discussion calm and collected? I don't want to end up causing online nuclear warfare by making a thread on a forum for fans of cartoon ponies.

Yeah. Otherwise the Dazzlings might spot this thread and feed on our negative energy.

You know what they say, "Make peace, not war".

Edited by Photon Jet
  • Brohoof 3

Anyway, I'm not so sure it is specific arc writing (or lack thereof) that is the biggest issue so much as that a few individual episodes have landed with a thud. In average episodes in past seasons there were usually moments that would help to keep the general opinion positive even if there were a few moments that made a group jeer. Filly Vanilli is a good example of that. When we have gotten those episodes, we usually have a few decent ones surrounding it making the season feel more like a narrative success.

Looking at the general opinion from the episode threads, this season has more average episodes and ... lackluster episodes ... with maybe 3 or 4 really good ones. Past seasons have been generally well received even if a character or two was presented poorly.

I don't think it's a lack of Starlight or issues with Dash, though with some specific fans that would make sense. For me it is a few missed opportunities in some episodes. A few tweaks in dialog or situation would have improved then greatly.

It feels like some of the episodes have less polish to them.

• Brohoof 1

But isn't that what most of the morals regarding Twilight as a character are about anyway? Not to worry about stuff? Even "Games Ponies Play" brought this flaw back despite Twilight having overcome it previously.

I'm not immediately remembering any episodes before "Lesson Zero" with the same moral. To me, the whole breakdown really sets it apart as being an anxiety problem, and I just identify with her worrying. 

This has made me think that perhaps I'm more interested in episodes exploring new dimensions of the main characters than merely moving them forward. I want them to be fleshed out and deepened. Can deal with characters not moving forward if I feel like I'm learning new things about them, whereas it's harder for me to be interested in characters growing if I feel like I've already seen all of the characterization on display. 

I find your opinions really interesting. Haven't run into many other people who hold them. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm not immediately remembering any episodes before "Lesson Zero" with the same moral. To me, the whole breakdown really sets it apart as being an anxiety problem, and I just identify with her worrying. 

This has made me think that perhaps I'm more interested in episodes exploring new dimensions of the main characters than merely moving them forward. I want them to be fleshed out and deepened. Can deal with characters not moving forward if I feel like I'm learning new things about them, whereas it's harder for me to be interested in characters growing if I feel like I've already seen all of the characterization on display. 

I find your opinions really interesting. Haven't run into many other people who hold them. 

But that was my problem with seasons 1 and 2. It didn't feel like the characters were moving forward, being fleshed out or deepened, having new dimensions about them being explored,  or learning new things about them. This is why I really loved seasons 4 and 5, because the characters were being fleshed out, learning new things about themselves and each other, and having new dimensions about themselves coming to the surface. 

every season has its good episodes and well not their best but it takes a lot for me to actually hate any particular season as most if not all the episodes are relatable....ok maybe the season openers or endings are a stretch but you get the point. Yet why so many might be hating on this season is how the last season ended for the way it looked it seemed like the writers truly said

"so long and thanks for al this fish" with the whole starlight vs twilight bit, some thought that was the send off and such and I did consider it myself, yet we have more of a season much to the joy of myself and others.

Is season 6 bad? no

could it be better? of course

will it be the last? hope not but if so hope they end it on a good note but I guess we will see

Its a good thing they never discovered the 4chan or they'd have been unstoppable.

Heh heh. Yeah. Thank goodness for that.

Anyway, we shouldn't get too heated up on Season Six even though we're still over halfway. We need to respect each other's opinions and leave it just that like that time Quibble Pants gave a moral to Rainbow Dash in Stranger Than Fan Fiction. 

• Brohoof 2

But that was my problem with seasons 1 and 2. It didn't feel like the characters were moving forward, being fleshed out or deepened, having new dimensions about them being explored,  or learning new things about them. This is why I really loved seasons 4 and 5, because the characters were being fleshed out, learning new things about themselves and each other, and having new dimensions about themselves coming to the surface. 

Interesting. That's definitely something I attribute more to season 2 than to season 4. 

In all honesty, the quality of the season is its comparison with our expectations. Seasons 4 & 5 both upped the quality of the series substantially with expansive plots, great character development, sublime animation, fantastic songs (for the most part) and importantly, a lot of good episodes along to give us all an enjoyable watching experience. While the song quality has remained largely consistent this season (thanks Mr. Ingram), the rest of those categories have fallen below the standards set by the last two and as a result, it has instigated a lot of irritation within the fanbase.

I've been reviewing every episode as they come out this season for my blog (even though some were not posted), in conjunction with analysing episodes from prior seasons in my spare time to have a COMPLETE cross-section of my opinion on the whole series output, and I've noticed a strange parallel to Season 1 that Season 6 has. This is especially the case in the episode quality remaining largely average minus some occasional high and low points. The episodes of both had some sprinkles of character and plot development here or there, but stood out as largely stand-alone episodic tales that either scaled themselves back from what they could've been or are incredibly simple to the point where they're not enjoyable, making them feel lacklustre to watch. Also, there's been little progress in regards to Starlight Glimmer, who's only been prominently featured in FOUR of the (soon to be) 16 episodes aired thus far (The Crystalling Pt. 1 & 2, No Second Prances & A Hearth's Warming Tail), which is reminiscent (again from Season 1) of how little The Grand Galloping Gala was featured (The Ticket Master, Suited For Success & Best Night Ever) despite being the grand overarching plot point of the whole season following the Nightmare Moon premiere.

The re-structuring of the writing staff is mostly to blame for how the episodes vary in quality from week to week (despite a recent run of average episodes post-hiatus), and it has lead to this series be taken off the pedestal it put itself on. Hopefully by the end of this season we can all be buzzing, because the run of episodes from this week look appealing. I just hope those last 10 episodes or so are better than average (on MY rating scale, which is a 15 out of 25 and above), because even I have to admit I've been extremely negative in comparison to last season and even the season before it. I don't WANT to be, but as a reviewer of episodes, it comes with what I've been given, so alas, I must get on with it.

• Brohoof 2

If you watch the show because you like the characters and expect good storytelling, this season has been a disappointment for the most part. However, if you're like me and enjoy the show's comedy, visuals and music, then this season isn't bad at all, even if the comedy has suffered from the staff shuffle (blame the movie) and an influx of new, somewhat lazy writers.

• Brohoof 1

Part of it does have to do with the movie.  The thing is, Season 6 itself can't really cause too much change, because it's the movie that is likely going to cause the big change for the season.  So they're probably making Season 6 more of a filler season in preparation for whatever big thing they're planning on introducing in the movie.

• Brohoof 1