Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's With All The Season 6 Hate?

OmegaBeamOfficial

Wait, what story arc!?  :orly: Anyway, please read my "ss 6 changelog" for some detail https://mlpforums.com/blog/3139/entry-20753-season-6-explore-equestria-lastest-version-update-version-615-28-pranks-later/,( Spoiler Alert!) hope you like it.

Season 6 actually has "story arcs", but they are not focused. Beside the premiere, none of 13 episode actually advance or contribute to the "story arc". Maybe, season 6 is just like season 3, premiere set up and finale execute whatever the plot they came up, and other episodes are just a bunch of lovely slice of life episodes  :love: . There are still 11 episodes left, maybe i'm wrong  :kindness:

That's cool I guess. It sounds OK, I actually like how they handled Season 3's arc, I really can't wait for Season 6 to come to my country, but good things are worth waiting for I guess. If nothing's been done with Starlight in the premiere, then my best guess is that It'll be related to Cadance and Shining Armour's baby.

Well ...

I'm Mr. Positivity when it comes to looking at MLP episodes, often times generally approving of episodes that get lukewarm responses. So far, I personally ranked three as lower than the two preceding ans two succeeding seasons, I have to admit that Season 6 been the most inconsistent season so far. Each of Clover's points are legitimate complaints with the season.

To me it isn't horrible, but it certainly is a more flawed season with what looks like no direction. And this is coming from a person who defended the first half of the season.

I'm actually looking forward to LoE more than the rest of this season now, that's saying something.

Well, no season is perfect, and damn it as long as a we get a few good episodes I'll be happy. I won't have my cake and eat it too. I'm looking forward to LOE, but not as much as Season 6. Don't get me wrong, I love EG, but the ponies universe is just more interesting to me.

I blame Starlight Specialmuffin for the initial hate.

Meh, Starlight's an OK character to me, I don't see her being present anything of an annoyance, even in the Season 5 premiere she was bearable. It's basically the same as how I felt about Sunset Shimmer, I didn't much care for her in the first EG movie, but I grew to like her character later on. I think that's what'll happen here...

Chronic exposure to a minor inconvenience can achieve less favorable results than a single unpleasant event. It’s all about accumulation. Couple that with show’s age, its conscious reluctance to tackle the most basic lore in a meaningful way while promoting its components as meaningless lesson fodder, regressing characters on the sacrificial stone of rookie writing, showing supposed unprofessional favoritism towards certain characters, the prioritizations of lessons over episodes’ entertainment values, the increasing ambiguity of lessons themselves, and you get yourself an average angry mob.

Now, calling out an angry mob on it being an angry mob is a folly unless you have some damn good reasoning that transcends “muh positivity”. Positivity only helps when you have a developer that maintains active and honest communication with the fandom, but given that we are an unprofitable mistake writhing in the shadow of an old school big money corporation, that doesn’t matter. Without the incentive to restrict ourselves, the masks fall and the true nature is revealed. How glorious!

Well said really. I don't have anything to add to that.

I am noticing a trend with the newer seasons. While in season 1-4 the quality of the episodes was way more stable, it now seems that an episode is either great or terrible. The last three episodes from MLP were either pandering to the bronies so hard that I cringed a little bit or were cut and dry staples of episodes we have seen a hundred times before. This all happens while there are absolute gems like Gauntlet of Fire and Flutter Brutter.

This was also the case with season 5: some absolutely great episodes followed by episodes that are the worst of the entire show and I think this is where the hate is coming from: if a show is turning out a reasonable episode every time, then people don't mind that much. It's when the absolute best is folloowed by the absolute worst that people are going to complain

• Brohoof 2

My opinions on this season is pretty much said by many users already. I think this season have it's ups and downs. I don't fully see much improvement in Starlight(sorry, haven't watched the Hearth Warming episode. Just a quick read at wiki). But the mane six aren't having much development either. I do believe it is because they pretty much grew up already. I am also not sure what is the big plot for this season (probably resolves around Starlight). And I also wish Twilight can kinda relate to Starlight more as a student, which is what I am hoping for in the coming "Everything She Does" (was that the title?) episode. I do like some episodes from season6 so far. A Spike or a Luna and Celestia focused episode would be nice.

I'm actually looking forward to LoE more than the rest of this season now, that's saying something.

I agree so much! Edited by Lulaypp Halilintar
  • Brohoof 1

Back when Season 6 first began airing, everyone thought the story arc for Season 6 was going to be Starlight Glimmer's redemption and integration into the Mane Six. Starlight Glimmer has played a much smaller role in Season 6 than anyone expected: instead of being an additional cast member, Starlight has been little more than a recurring character who hasn't really interacted with any member of the main cast besides Twilight Sparkle. This season feels aimless because we were expecting it to have a story arc focused around Starlight Glimmer, when instead it returned to the episodic, slice-of-life fare of the earlier seasons.

I don't mind slice of life, but I don't exactly see Starlight as a main character anyway. I'd love to see her get more development though, and become a more interesting pony to listen to, but from what everyone's saying it doesn't sound like Starlight ever has much time in the spotlight to even attempt to do that.

That's funny. This is one of the few good things for me in this season. :please:

So we're throwing Starlight hate into this now? Meh. I can see where It's coming from. I'm not surprised.

Alright, let me put it to you this way: a lot of people thought it would be more adventure-oriented and have a story arc like last two seasons did and are disappointed it doesn't.

So no adventure? Well, that's a little disappointing.

Even though I do enjoy this season, it does feel like a bit of a step down from the last two, and I would say it feels similar to the early seasons without any sort of major season long arcs going on.

Especially seeing how little has been done with Starlight Glimmer.

And then there is how pretty much all of the original writers have left the show, and the first half felt a lot more playing it safe than other seasons have.

But the season has put out some episodes that I really enjoyed such as Flutter Brutter which is my favorite Fluttershy episode, Gauntlet of Fire which may be the best Spike episode, Stranger Than Fanficiton, The Saddle Row Review, and A Hearth's Warming Tale.

I am also looking forward to The Times They Are a Changeling, Dungeons and Discords, and The Fault in our Cutie Marks.

Well, I'm gonna try and stay positive. Besides, those titles alone excite me.

I'll go in with an unpopular opinion here and say that, in my eyes, S6 in the best yet. I feel that the writing quality is at it's peak with this season, bringing in some really well done episodes. I honestly don't understand most people's criticisms towards the season. The only one I can sort of understand is the expectation of a season-long arc, but that isn't a flaw on the show at all. That's just people letting their expectations get the best of them. We've seen this one too many times, especially in the video game and movie industries. As for the others ones, like say Starlight having little done with her (even though a good chunk of the first half was dedicated to her?), and the little being done with CMC's cutie marks, (again, we've seen some first half? not gonna get every episode dealing with an overarching plot here) I can't really understand them, as I said before. 

To me, it mostly just seems like the aforementioned 'hype culture,' or a bit of bandwagoning. I've noticed the same few opinions on S6, or rather just thoughts on various episodes of the show, repeated multiple times throughout the MLP community, and well I don't doubt a large sum of people agree with these thoughts, it wouldn't come as a surprise to me to know that at least some of these people are bandwagoning on the thoughts of others.

Also, it seems like most folk tend to prefer adventure episodes to slice of life. While I'm the same way, I wouldn't exactly let this get in the way of my thoughts on the general quality of the season, which some people seem to be doing.

tl;dr: Hype culture, bandwagoning, and personal preference.

Edited by Yufery
  • Brohoof 5

I love season 6! I love all the seasons. Season 2 is my least favorite.

With the quality of season 6 It could probably surpass season 4 as my 3rd fav season, but these last two episodes haven't been all that great

That's all good. Though I'd have to disagree with you on Season 2. That was definitely one of the more straightforwardly good seasons for me.

I don't hate season six, i just feel the writers have missed some things that could have been used or planned out:

-Glimmer hardly used sadly:  It would have been nice to give her a ep or work her into some of the eps plot even on the side.

-Flurry Heart: I think a LOT more could have been done with this little alicorn like a look into say Armor having to watch his daughter and how he could deal with it.   Also the idea of Aunt Twilight having to baby sit for a day would have been just a killer ep to watch her deal with a baby pony.

-Royal Sisters:  I think its time we have more in the life of Royal sisters having their own ep of some kind!

-Discord:  Any eps with him a love!

Yes, we need more Glimmer. I Skipped over the Flurry Heart part, sorry, don't want spoilers. And YES, more Celestia and Luna. I think we'll get a Discord episode though, I've heard one of the titles for the episodes this season is Dungeons And Discords.

At this point it looks like season six is really a period of transition for the writing team. When it comes down to it season six hasn't been bad by any stretch of the imagination, but it has definitely been inconsistent up to this point. Episodes like "Gauntlet of Fire," "Saddle Row Review," "Stranger Than Fanfiction," and my personal favorite "No Second Prances" are all great episodes that can stand with the best of them, IMO, but others like the most recent two have been so meh it's noticeable.

As I said we're in a period of transition right now. We have a movie and EqG4 coming, as well as a few new writers. If season 7 is a thing I would think the new writers will get a better hold of things later on down the road. :)

So we have new writers to deal with then? I'm starting to see why things seem a little different...

I'm also enjoying this season even if it isn't as great as some previous ones. I think the biggest issue here for me is the lack of Starlight, especially after last season, and I think the reason why this has happened is simply because of all the criticism that "The Cutie Re-Mark" received. Much like how many hated the idea of Twilight becoming a princess at the end of Season 3 so they drastically scaled the focus on that back in Season 4, it seems like the writers have been hesitant to do much with Starlight because many disliked the idea of her being redeemed and becoming a mane character. I like how the staff do seem to listen to the fans' responses and will always try and do something in a future season to make amends for earlier mistakes. Sometimes it works, like with Spike, as thus far, his episodes and characterisation this season are easily some of, if not, the best they've ever been, and other times, like with Starlight, it doesn't. I guess I can appreciate them wanting to gradually ease Starlight into the group rather than rushing things, and I actually do like how they've been using her this season, but it is far too minimal and it's happening far too slowly. If/when we get to Season 7, they really should be having her be much more involved. 

I'd rather see Starlight's induction go at a moderate pace, rather than too fast or too slow, so that makes two of us. And I actually liked The Cutie Re-Mark, I mean they managed to get TIME TRAVEL right! Barely any shows get time travel right!

The writers are new. They need time to gain experience.

You know, I don't think Hasbro would have hired them if they didn't already have writing experience...

• Brohoof 1

That's all good. Though I'd have to disagree with you on Season 2. That was definitely one of the more straightforwardly good seasons for me.

How are you going to disagree with me on which one is my own least favorite season XD

ahaha dead

Seasons from favorite to least favorite (not including six)

1. 5

2. 1

3. 4

4. 3

5. 2

They are all still incredible I said

• Brohoof 1

I guess people who are content (but not euphoric) with the show tend to not post stuff about it? Maybe the silent majority still likes it, but is drowned out by loudmouthed neigh-sayers?

You are probably right. I am not gonna lie, this is not turning out to be my favorite season. Where is Starlight??? I thought her arc had so much potential, but all of that is being wasted.

That is my only big complaint. On an individual basis, I think most of the episodes have been strong. I love a lot of them. :) But in the grand scheme of things, the whole is not greater than the sum of its parts.

My advice is to just go into Season 6 with an open mind. If you haven't seen it yet, don't let the hate discourage you. There are people who enjoy this season!

• Brohoof 3

I am noticing a trend with the newer seasons. While in season 1-4 the quality of the episodes was way more stable, it now seems that an episode is either great or terrible. The last three episodes from MLP were either pandering to the bronies so hard that I cringed a little bit or were cut and dry staples of episodes we have seen a hundred times before. This all happens while there are absolute gems like Gauntlet of Fire and Flutter Brutter.

This was also the case with season 5: some absolutely great episodes followed by episodes that are the worst of the entire show and I think this is where the hate is coming from: if a show is turning out a reasonable episode every time, then people don't mind that much. It's when the absolute best is folloowed by the absolute worst that people are going to complain

Since when was fan pandering a bad thing? And consistency is everything I guess, that's the message I'm getting from this thread as a whole.

My opinions on this season is pretty much said by many users already. I think this season have it's ups and downs. I don't fully see much improvement in Starlight(sorry, haven't watched the Hearth Warming episode. Just a quick read at wiki). But the mane six aren't having much development either. I do believe it is because they pretty much grew up already. I am also not sure what is the big plot for this season (probably resolves around Starlight). And I also wish Twilight can kinda relate to Starlight more as a student, which is what I am hoping for in the coming "Everything She Does" (was that the title?) episode. I do like some episodes from season6 so far. A Spike or a Luna and Celestia focused episode would be nice.

I agree so much!

To be honest I don't think the Mane 6 need more development then they already have. Luna, Celestia, Spike, and ESPECIALLY Starlight from the sound of things on the other hand...

I'll go in with an unpopular opinion here and say that, in my eyes, S6 in the best yet. I feel that the writing quality is at it's peak with this season, bringing in some really well done episodes. I honestly don't understand most people's criticisms towards the season. The only one I can sort of understand is the expectation of a season-long arc, but that isn't a flaw on the show at all. That's just people letting their expectations get the best of them. We've seen this one too many times, especially in the video game and movie industries. As for the others ones, like say Starlight having little done with her (even though a good chunk of the first half was dedicated to her?), and the little being done with CMC's cutie marks, (again, we've seen some first half? not gonna get every episode dealing with an overarching plot here) I can't really understand them, as I said before. 

To me, it mostly just seems like the aforementioned 'hype culture,' or a bit of bandwagoning. I've noticed the same few opinions on S6, or rather just thoughts on various episodes of the show, repeated multiple times throughout the MLP community, and well I don't doubt a large sum of people agree with these thoughts, it wouldn't come as a surprise to me to know that at least some of these people are bandwagoning on the thoughts of others.

Also, it seems like most folk tend to prefer adventure episodes to slice of life. While I'm the same way, I wouldn't exactly let this get in the way of my thoughts on the general quality of the season, which some people seem to be doing.

tl;dr: Hype culture, bandwagoning, and personal preference.

Well, that's a good, solid speech. Good job.

How are you going to disagree with me on which one is my own least favorite season XD

ahaha dead

Seasons from favorite to least favorite (not including six)

1. 5

2. 1

3. 4

4. 3

5. 2

They are all still incredible I said

Fair enough. Yay yay yay yay...

• Brohoof 1

-Flurry Heart: I think a LOT more could have been done with this little alicorn like a look into say Armor having to watch his daughter and how he could deal with it.   Also the idea of Aunt Twilight having to baby sit for a day would have been just a killer ep to watch her deal with a baby pony.

-Royal Sisters:  I think its time we have more in the life of Royal sisters having their own ep of some kind!

-Discord:  Any eps with him a love!

Agree with these!!!! Maybe Starlight can be somewhere when Twi is taking care of Flurry. The idea does reminds me of "Baby Cakes"

• Brohoof 1

You are probably right. I am not gonna lie, this is not turning out to be my favorite season. Where is Starlight??? I thought her arc had so much potential, but all of that is being wasted.

That is my only big complaint. On an individual basis, I think most of the episodes have been strong. I love a lot of them. :) But in the grand scheme of things, the whole is not greater than the sum of its parts.

My advice is to just go into Season 6 with an open mind. If you haven't seen it yet, don't let the hate discourage you. There are people who enjoy this season!

I'll keep all that in mind.

Agree with these!!!! Maybe Starlight can be somewhere when Twi is taking care of Flurry. The idea does reminds me of "Baby Cakes"

No, don't make Pinkie cry again!

• Brohoof 1

I think it's because this season has been all over the place. One moment you have a great episodes like A Hearth's Warming Tale and The Saddle Row Review, and the next moment you have less than stellar episodes like Newbie Dash or 28 Pranks Later.

That and a lot of the good episodes have just been sort of there kinds of episodes like On Your Marks or Spice up Your Life.

I don't find the season horrible since nothing in the season has actually pissed me off yet, but there are still stuff left to be desired.

• Brohoof 3

Sorry if some of my responses are a little half baked everypony. Just trying to keep up. Plus, a lot of these are saying things that have been said earlier and It's hard for me to come up with an original response.

I think it's because this season has been all over the place. One moment you have a great episodes like A Hearth's Warming Tale and The Saddle Row Review, and the next moment you have less than stellar episodes like Newbie Dash or 28 Pranks Later.

That and a lot of the good episodes have just been sort of there kinds of episodes like On Your Marks or Spice up Your Life.

I don't find the season horrible since nothing in the season has actually pissed me off yet, but there are still stuff left to be desired.

Well put I guess. Let's hope things stay that way for ya.

Yes, we need more Glimmer. I Skipped over the Flurry Heart part, sorry, don't want spoilers. And YES, more Celestia and Luna. I think we'll get a Discord episode though, I've heard one of the titles for the episodes this season is Dungeons And Discords.

So we have new writers to deal with then? I'm starting to see why things seem a little different...

I'd rather see Starlight's induction go at a moderate pace, rather than too fast or too slow, so that makes two of us. And I actually liked The Cutie Re-Mark, I mean they managed to get TIME TRAVEL right! Barely any shows get time travel right!

You know, I don't think Hasbro would have hired them if they didn't already have writing experience...

You do have a point about that.

• Brohoof 1

What I don't really like about Season 6:

1) No season-long story arc

2) Lack of Starlight

3) Post-marked CMC

4) Hit-or-miss with the new writers

5) Reminds me of Season 3 of Atomic Betty as well as the Sixth season of South Park

6) Lack of Discord

7) Rainbow Dash as a member of the Wonderbolts

8) Lack of Flurry Heart

• Brohoof 2

To be honest I don't think the Mane 6 need more development then they already have. Luna, Celestia, Spike, and ESPECIALLY Starlight from the sound of things on the other hand...

Definitely.... The whole series is dedicated to the mane six. I do believe they have enough development already. Flutters is braver, AJ learns to ask for help when she needs it(I do believe that is the point of applebuck Season back in season 1), Rainbow is a Wonderbolt,Rarity's business branched out of Ponyville, Twilight is a Princess and already have a student, Pinkie is....... dunno. But those four characters plus Discord need more showtime.

• Brohoof 2

Definitely.... The whole series is dedicated to the mane six. I do believe they have enough development already. Flutters is braver, AJ learns to ask for help when she needs it(I do believe that is the point of applebuck Season back in season 1), Rainbow is a Wonderbolt,Rarity's business branched out of Ponyville, Twilight is a Princess and already have a student, Pinkie is....... dunno. But those four characters plus Discord need more showtime.

Fluttershy? Brave? Did you hit your head or something XD But the rest are pretty spot on. They've all achieved their dreams. And we will get Discord. One of the episodes this season will be called Dungeons And Discords, from what I heard. It sounds like some kind of Card Game themed episode, and god would I love to see one of them.

Fluttershy? Brave? Did you hit your head or something XD But the rest are pretty spot on. They've all achieved their dreams. And we will get Discord. One of the episodes this season will be called Dungeons And Discords, from what I heard. It sounds like some kind of Card Game themed episode, and god would I love to see one of them.

Ehehe... Probably not too brave.... But she did stand up- SORRY! I totally forgot you haven't watched season 6! Nearly gave a spoiler. But at least she isn't like she was back in episode 1 season 1. She talks like............... too quiet. The Discord episode sounds too exciting!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Ehehe... Probably not too brave.... But she did stand up- SORRY! I totally forgot you haven't watched season 6! Nearly gave a spoiler. But at least she isn't like she was back in episode 1 season 1. She talks like............... too quiet. The Discord episode sounds too exciting!

I know! Knowing my country I probably won't get Season 6 till next year, but I'm DYING to see it now! And with Fluttershy, there's no such thing as too quiet, heh... It's actually kind of adorable :)

Edited by OmegaBeamOfficial
  • Brohoof 1

This hs been an absolutely frustrating season, It's just been doing a ton of things that's been making me unhappy with the direction the show is going

- For all the shit I give Starlight and her redemption, they aren't making much of an effort to make it feel like it's worth anything

- As far as the mane 6 goes, Pinkie and Fluttershy are the only one's that haven't been fucked over yet

- Rarity has, for the most, been fine, but "Spice Up Your Life" went entirely what she stood for in the past

- No Second Prances really fucked with Twilight, who should've been fine with giving Trixie, given she's forgiven characters who've done worse shit, and she hasn't recovered since

- Rainbow's treatment makes it feel like the writers hate her, otherwise there's no way they would've been proud of Newbie Dash, which more or less turned her entire character arc into a complete joke, nor would they have redone one of the show's most hated episodes with 28 Pranks Later and not realize why everyone hated it in the first place, both of which regressed her so far back after all of the work they've done with her in the past. If it wasn't for STFF, I'd probably buy it

- AJ is probably the worst of it, as she's felt like a completely different character, becoming a beyond dumb redneck who's hostile to her sister and has "old-school tradition" shoved so far up her ass, as opposed to the wise and honest friend who value's family and friends above all else

- The "Explore Equestria" moniker has barely been used, instead of plenty of new places, we've been going to Manehattan a billion times, and maybe two new places here and there

Only things I've been happy with this season

- Mike Vogel, who seems to be one of the few guys who "gets" the characters

- Spike's treatment has significantly improved compared to the last few seasons

- a few great episodes like Saddle Row, HWT, Gauntlet of Fire, Stranger Than Fan Fiction

But with so few pros and so many big negatives, this is easily shaping up to be my least favorite season, moreso than S1 by a long shot

EDIT: FUCK they never let me finish

The writers are new. They need time to gain experience.

You can't really use "new writers" as an excuse anymore. We've had many new writers in the past knock it out of the park in the past with their debut episode(Powell with Sleepless in Ponyville, Levinger with Pinkie Apple Pie, Valentine with Flight To the Finish) or come up with plenty of the show's best episodes(The Lady Writers with Gauntlet of Fire, Rarity Investigates, Castle Sweet Castle). There's really no excuse with a lot of the current new writers making complete shit

• Brohoof 4

I know! Knowing my country I probably won't get Season 6 till next year, but I'm DYING to see it now! And with Fluttershy, there's no such thing as too quiet, heh... It's actually kind of adorable :)

Next year?! That is so long! You are amazingly patient! I KNOW! Fluttershy being all quiet, like her cheering for Rainbow, is super cute!!! cx

• Brohoof 2