Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's With All The Season 6 Hate?

OmegaBeamOfficial

But I digress. I personally don't see what's wrong with giving the CMC their cutie marks. The usual "Let's go try (insert activity here) to get our cutie marks!" episodes would've gotten stale after a while.

It did get stale. That's why I was thankful for Crusaders of the Lost Mark: it moved the Cutie Mark Crusaders story along and introduced two potential allies for the CMC, as well as paving the way for the development of Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon.

1. Starlight has barely been used. Following Tail, she cameoed in Spice and hasn't shown up since. She's a mane character now; don't throw her away and act like she doesn't exist.

Jim confirmed on Twitter that Starlight Glimmer isn't going to be a mane character, just a recurring one. It was the fandom who thought she was going to be FiM's version of Sunset Shimmer, not the writers.

I was also kinda hoping that Diamond Tiara would come out...

Not gonna lie, the lack of Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon has been a disappointment for me. I'm hoping they'll get some screentime in The Fault in Our Cutie Marks.

Edited by Silvestra Spooner
  • Brohoof 3

Looking back at the older seasons, to me, Season 3 was the one that I felt had the least quality. I'm not saying I hated it, It's just later and older seasons outshine it. Now, I'm saying this because even back then, there wasn't even much hate for Season 3 as far as I can tell. But now, with Season 6 having started, there have been tons of people slamming down on it as if It's the spawn of Satan. Now I'm not gonna say It's true, I've not seen any of Season 6 yet myself, but god help me I wish I could just to see where all this hatred is coming from. Now, of course this Isn't new, and hell, there have been bad episodes before, like, really bad ones. (The Mysterious Mare Do Well, Bridle Gossip, The Cutie Pox for starters) but this... This is a whole new level. It's to the point where I can't go a few forum pages without someone throwing a snarky remark or some kind of insult at Season 6. I don't know what's going on, but the chance of Season 6 being as demonic as everyone says it is is about as high as the chance of pigs flying. I'll probably end up watching through, waiting to see what everypony's so pissed about and then end the season thinking everyone overreacted.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Season six has been a lot of fun so far. The only episode I've really disliked so far is "No second Prances." And I wouldn't necessarily call "The Cutie Pox" a bad wpisode; it's just kind of dull. I do think people are overreacting to season six. I think all of the hate is from a bunch of Faust fanboys/fangirls. Like I said, people put seasons one and two on a pedestal (those seasons were terrible) and act like every season from 3 onwards is terrible, despite the fact that the show didn't get good until season four, at least in my opinion. I myself would really like to know what is with all this sudden hatred for season six, despite seasons one and two being really awful, yet no one ever complains about them. Why?

Not gonna lie, the lack of Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon has been a disappointment for me. I'm hoping they'll get some screentime in The Fault in Our Cutie Marks.

Too right! I was really hoping that she'd play a role in "The Cart Before the Ponies." After COTLM, I was really excited to see what the writers were going to do with the characters of Tiara and Spoon, but they haven't done anything with them, yet. I at least liked seeing them in "On Your Marks."

Edited by Smitty1038
  • Brohoof 1

It seems like season six either doesn't want to continue developing it's characters and their storylines or they do so in an uninteresting way. The main characters are learning pretty much the same lessons from pervious episodes, almost like they are running out of ways to develope them.

• Brohoof 2

It seems like season six either doesn't want to continue developing it's characters and their storylines or they do so in an uninteresting way. The main characters are learning pretty much the same lessons from pervious episodes, almost like they are running out of ways to develope them.

The writers are kinda restricted in what they can do, what with the movie and all.

Edited by Silvestra Spooner
  • Brohoof 1

overall i like the series, the problem i have is with "newbie dash" and "28 pranks later"... particularly because Dash goes (almost, i think) away from previously proposed canon...

example:

newbie dash, RD tries to emulate her friends to "impress" when its more likely that she would "take notice of what they would do" not literaly copy them...

and for 28PL...

i know that she was "challenged" by her friends, but she would not do that to fluttershy...(she is loyalty after all!)

and after the challenge was started, it was like a mad pranking spree...

one of the best "pranker" eps ive seen comes from MASH 4077... little off topic, but i have a point...

in it the challenge is for hawkeye/ BJ to prank all the main cast, and the looser has to dance on a table while singing "the tops"

in the episode, it turns out that BJ decided to NOT play a prank... instead the whole groop got together, staged their own "pranks" and let Hawkeye think he was next! (effectivly he was pranked by not being pranked.)

and I agree with that episode, and think that if Hasbro looked at other instances of what they want to "pull off", they could come up with better ideas, that stick to character canon, and keep the fandom from "flipping lids".

to finish, I hope they give RD some better episodes... I like to see "happy and uplifting" not "punishment for whatever"...

(little harsh I know, but I love MLP:FIM, and sometimes you just have to tell the ones you love how you feel... I hope the devs read this) 

• Brohoof 2

The writers are kinda restricted in what they can do, what with the movie and all.

True.

I think that's why I've been more interested in episodes that focus on the CMC, Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon, Discord and Spike, because they still have plenty of room for character development. I'm not saying I'm no longer like the mane six, but they grown to the point where I'm afraid the writers will recycle each of their plot lines just to continue the show.

Edited by Da King
  • Brohoof 1

If this is true, then I have reason to believe that season 7 will be amazing, considering how much I'm enjoying season 6.

• Brohoof 1

They reached the peak of their progression, nothing to learn anymore and they can become mary sues now... I know it isnt right to say, but everytime they revert back to their ss2 self, it warms my heart :(, that why i find ss4 Twilight is goddamn boring, i want to see scientist OCD Twilight back, after become a princess, she is pushed back to background... Some people says some episodes of this season feels like they are belonged to ss4 or ss2, but i like them, it feels like old-school episodes again... By a way, this season should focus more Spike, Celestia and Starlight, they need that.

• Brohoof 2

Im just gonna say, the complaints about a lack of an arc NOW are dumb, because frankly S5 didn't have a real arc ether, if S5's Cutie Map stuff counts as an arc than the Gala stuff from S1 does as well.. the Opener and Finale for S5 were connected but aside from that all the Map episodes amounted to prety much nothing. S2 and S3 are just as arcless as S6 is, hell even more so since at least S6 has Glimmer even if she should show up more.

The only episode to have a real arc that all comes together in the finale is S4. But you know what? Aside from Rarity Takes Manehattan and Pinkie Pride I thought the Key Episodes tended to be among the weakest of the season. Like Breezies? Rainbow Falls? Among the worst of the season, the Applejack one, I don't personally hate but I know a lot of people really don't like it too. So I don't really MIND the lack of an arc, because it didn't work out too well when they tried it to be honest.

• Brohoof 2

I haven't been liking season six for the following reasons:

• Poor use of the mane characters. None of the Mane Six or CMCs are showing any progress in characterization other than Apple Bloom, Fluttershy, and Spike. Ones like Rarity, Applejack, and Dash have been either going around in circles or out of character just to phone the moral in. Twilight has gone nowhere as a teacher other than act OOC in No Second Prances. Season 6 is probably AJ's worst yet.

The current lineup of writers writes the characters, but most of them don't understand them. And this isn't exclusively the new writers. The old guard is to blame, too. Seriously, if you have to recycle content, regress characterization, and thrust in contrived character flaws just to create conflict, then people'll suspect something's REALLY wrong with the creative process.

I've seen arguments like this, but, I'm sorry, I don't see ang evidence that supports these claims. I don't see rehashed plots, characters being flanderized, etc. If you were talking about seasons one and two, I could totally agree with you. But I don't see any of that in season six. I do agree that Twilight was OOC in "No Second Prances", but that's the only thing where I can see where you're coming from.

1. Starlight has barely been used. Following Tail, she cameoed in Spice and hasn't shown up since. She's a mane character now; don't throw her away and act like she doesn't exist.

Fortunately,

she'll be starring an episode in Every Little Thing She Does.

Lesser-quality episodes following a really good start. No Second Prances, Newbie Dash, Flutter Brutter, and 28 Pranks Later all bombed. Stranger Than Fan Fiction and Cart stink to a lesser degree. When the episodes are bad, they tend to be REALLY bad.In short, it's a lack of consistency in overall quality. Sure, the whole show is inconsistent, but the problems in between add up. Character derailment, turning characters into idiots just for the sake of humor [e.g., Quibble's character derailment in the jungle], character stagnation, flanderization, thrusting in flaws for the sake of it, stereotypes, a straw critic in Zesty Gourmand, ripping off bad episodes like The Show Stoppers or Mare Do Well [the latter without understanding the problems], and a terrible conclusion to Dash's arc of joining the Wonderbolts. Season five had some problems, but they evolved the show so much and gave people like myself something to look forward to. Season five is my favorite, and it's arguably the best one. Season six got off to a great start, but is now in the series's worst rut. Hopefully, the current team picks it up.

Again, I'm wondering where you're coming from. How was "The Show Stoppers" ripped off? And how was Quibble Pants' character derailed while they were in the jungle? A lot of these arguments don't make any sense and again, these problems all existed as far back as seasons one and two. These problems are nothing new.

• Brohoof 1

They reached the peak of their progression, nothing to learn anymore and they can become mary sues now... I know it isnt right to say, but everytime they revert back to their ss2 self, it warms my heart :(, that why i find ss4 Twilight is goddamn boring, i want to see scientist OCD Twilight back, after become a princess, she is pushed back to background... Some people says some episodes of this season feels like they are belonged to ss4 or ss2, but i like them, it feels like old-school episodes again... By a way, this season should focus more Spike, Celestia and Starlight, they need that.

I actually agree, a part of me thinks Twilight actually NEEDS character reversion, I VASTLY prefer Twilight as she in an episode like say No Second Prances, where a lot of people complained about her characterization than how she was in most S4-S5 episodes where I thought she lost pretty much all her charm and tumbled all the way from my top 3 to 5th. Just do it slowly so it doesn't feel too jarring.

Also the hate for Flutter Brutter from some people is so insanely unwarrented, I don't care if Zephyr makes you uncomfortable or if you don't like him, he served his purpose well, which was to develop Fluttershy more AND show how she's changed since the season began. If an episode can actually make me LIKE Fluttershy again after pretty much thinking she was hopeless for years It's a damn impressive one

for the record Id say overall S6 is bellow S5 and S2 in average episode quality (though it's worst generally aren't as bad as S2's worst, there were some real trainwrecks in that one S5 was generally so consistently solid that aside from Princess Spike even it's worst were still "okay") but above S4s (but it's best are generally not as good as S4s best, aside from Saddle Row I suppose but on the other hand, S4 probably has maybe a third or more of my bottom 10 episodes in it)

S1 is hard to rank because I basically think the first half is super weird looking back, lots of characters feel off compared to even the second half of the season and they were clearly still figuring stuff out, but the second half IMO is really really strong.

Edited by M'gann M'orzz
  • Brohoof 4

I've seen arguments like this, but, I'm sorry, I don't see ang evidence that supports these claims. I don't see rehashed plots, characters being flanderized, etc.
  1. Gift of Maud Pie:

Pinkie Pie getting into a near-brakedown after the store that sells the bag she wants to buy for Maud is closed. Pinkie, we know you love making others happy. But seriously, you're way more mature than to throw such a temper tantrum.

Maud and Rarity gang up on the merchant and toy with him so Pinkie would get her party cannon back and pretend the trade never happened. Don't like the merchant if they want; it's a fair trade.
  2. Newbie Dash: Dash insulting the Wonderbolts to her friends initially and then forcing Scootaloo to get involved in a very dangerous trick. Dash is way, way better than this. Dash's decision to make an extreme trick with no practice or regard for safety is what Lightning Dust does, and she criticized her for putting others at serious risk.
  3. No Second Prances:

a. Mrs. Cake bashing Starlight after she made a quicker cake, contradicting her sweet, comforting personality.

b. Twilight attempting to sabotage Starlight and Trixie's friendship and then both Starlight and Twilight watching Trixie entering her cannon knowing that she isn't in the right frame of mind and attempting a trick she knows she can't do alone. The suicide implications are disturbing, but SG and Twilight after their fallout really made it horrifying.
  4. Applejack's "Day" Off: Applejack having absolutely no clue how to streamline her routine on the farm after fixing the equipment in the sauna. AJ is many things, but not dumb.
  5. Spice Up Your Life: In Canterlot Boutique, Rarity stuck to the very core of her personality by not sticking to one thing with so much quantity that her work becomes generic and she becomes a slave to today's trends. Here, Rarity concludes that in order for The Tasty Treat to succeed, the restaurant must conform to the quality and style of the other restaurants, completely contradicting her morals, song, and goals. Zesty Gourmand may've been the episode's antagonist, but she was absolutely right to slam the place (and Rarity) for ripping off the others.
  6. Stranger Than Fan Fiction: At the convention, Quibble was very intelligent, albeit an ass. He knew the ins and outs of the original trilogy and has a huge respect for it. But while in the jungle, he believed that everything about it, from the villain to the adventure to the death trap to being kidnapped again (only to a temple) was part of the official Daring Do Adventucation. No one, not even Quibble, is that stupid to believe such a case. Quibble was out of character in the jungle.
  7. The Cart Before the Ponies: Rarity might've had some decent motive, but the CMCs' partners were such big jerks and were completely blind to their wishes even though the fillies said "our" cart several times. This is also a Show Stoppers ripoff because both this and TSS follow a very similar pattern: The CMCs get involved in a conflict that we all know what they're good at, but don't do it just to create some jokes (in which none of them work, neither from TSS nor here).
  8. 28 Pranks Later: Completely out of character of Dash to prank Fluttershy and act like it's no big deal. Completely out of character of the others to complain about the pranks (while egging her on to put more effort into them) and then pull such a prank that made Dash believe it was real. This is a complete Mare Do Well ripoff, and both of them are terrible.
  • Brohoof 2

I personally don't understand the hate, maybe it's because I don't take the show that seriously but I don't know. For me, as long as the episode has entertaining events I enjoy it, regardless of character development or repeated plots. I agree with some of the points here, such as Starlight not being used enough or certain characters being out of character, but these small things still don't make me hate the season. I'm pretty happy with all the episodes and I have many new favourites from this season.

• Brohoof 2

I actually agree, a part of me thinks Twilight actually NEEDS character reversion, I VASTLY prefer Twilight as she in an episode like say No Second Prances, where a lot of people complained about her characterization than how she was in most S4-S5 episodes where I thought she lost pretty much all her charm and tumbled all the way from my top 3 to 5th. Just do it slowly so it doesn't feel too jarring.

Also the hate for Flutter Brutter from some people is so insanely unwarrented, I don't care if Zephyr makes you uncomfortable or if you don't like him, he served his purpose well, which was to develop Fluttershy more AND show how she's changed since the season began. If an episode can actually make me LIKE Fluttershy again after pretty much thinking she was hopeless for years It's a damn impressive one

for the record Id say overall S6 is bellow S5 and S2 in average episode quality (though it's worst generally aren't as bad as S2's worst, there were some real trainwrecks in that one S5 was generally so consistently solid that aside from Princess Spike even it's worst were still "okay") but above S4s (but it's best are generally not as good as S4s best, aside from Saddle Row I suppose but on the other hand, S4 probably has maybe a third or more of my bottom 10 episodes in it)

S1 is hard to rank because I basically think the first half is super weird looking back, lots of characters feel off compared to even the second half of the season and they were clearly still figuring stuff out, but the second half IMO is really really strong.

S4 Twilight was horrendously boring. I only liked her that season when she seemed to not enjoy being a princess, and even that didn't especially go anywhere. I enjoy recently how all the princess stuff seems to be inflating her already-unhealthy self-expectations, and after late season 5, where she was constantly panicking and overcompensating, as well as "No Second Prances," which I continue to interpret as nothing less than an act of misguided perfectionism because she was afraid of coming across badly to Princess Celestia, it certainly seems she has plenty more room to grow - and, perhaps, to collapse under her own stress.

Season 1 is actually pretty coherent in that it's about six ponies' growing friendships. Couldn't help but notice that constant theme in the vast majority of the season. Gets better as it finds its footing.

• Gift of Maud Pie:

Pinkie Pie getting into a near-brakedown after the store that sells the bag she wants to buy for Maud is closed. Pinkie, we know you love making others happy. But seriously, you're way more mature than to throw such a temper tantrum.

Maud and Rarity gang up on the merchant and toy with him so Pinkie would get her party cannon back and pretend the trade never happened. Don't like the merchant if they want; it's a fair trade.

• Newbie Dash: Dash insulting the Wonderbolts to her friends initially and then forcing Scootaloo to get involved in a very dangerous trick. Dash is way, way better than this. Dash's decision to make an extreme trick with no practice or regard for safety is what Lightning Dust does, and she criticized her for putting others at serious risk.
  • No Second Prances:

a. Mrs. Cake bashing Starlight after she made a quicker cake, contradicting her sweet, comforting personality.

b. Twilight attempting to sabotage Starlight and Trixie's friendship and then both Starlight and Twilight watching Trixie entering her cannon knowing that she isn't in the right frame of mind and attempting a trick she knows she can't do alone. The suicide implications are disturbing, but SG and Twilight after their fallout really made it horrifying.

• Applejack's "Day" Off: Applejack having absolutely no clue how to streamline her routine on the farm after fixing the equipment in the sauna. AJ is many things, but not dumb.
  • Spice Up Your Life: In Canterlot Boutique, Rarity stuck to the very core of her personality by not sticking to one thing with so much quantity that her work becomes generic and she becomes a slave to today's trends. Here, Rarity concludes that in order for The Tasty Treat to succeed, the restaurant must conform to the quality and style of the other restaurants, completely contradicting her morals, song, and goals. Zesty Gourmand may've been the episode's antagonist, but she was absolutely right to slam the place (and Rarity) for ripping off the others.
  • Stranger Than Fan Fiction: At the convention, Quibble was very intelligent, albeit an ass. He knew the ins and outs of the original trilogy and has a huge respect for it. But while in the jungle, he believed that everything about it, from the villain to the adventure to the death trap to being kidnapped again (only to a temple) was part of the official Daring Do Adventucation. No one, not even Quibble, is that stupid to believe such a case. Quibble was out of character in the jungle.
  • The Cart Before the Ponies: Rarity might've had some decent motive, but the CMCs' partners were such big jerks and were completely blind to their wishes even though the fillies said "our" cart several times. This is also a Show Stoppers ripoff because both this and TSS follow a very similar pattern: The CMCs get involved in a conflict that we all know what they're good at, but don't do it just to create some jokes (in which none of them work, neither from TSS nor here).
  • 28 Pranks Later: Completely out of character of Dash to prank Fluttershy and act like it's no big deal. Completely out of character of the others to complain about the pranks (while egging her on to put more effort into them) and then pull such a prank that made Dash believe it was real. This is a complete Mare Do Well ripoff, and both of them are terrible.

I don't agree with a lot of these, and some feel like you're missing the point entirely.

"Gift of the Maud Pie": This was really, really important to her, and she's not exactly a pony to keep her emotions private. I found it funny.

"Newbie Dash": Dash was very understandably not in her right mind at that time. People make mistakes when under distress.

"No Second Prances": a. Minor character. Nitpick.

b. I don't read so much into this, but fair.

"Applejack's 'Day' Off": Applejack has been shown to be prerty stubborn when she sets her mind to something, and maybe sheer momentum and habit caused her to continue with a pointless routine which - very importantly - always worked for her. I don't see what's so hard to understand about that.

"Spice Up Your Life": I have my counterargument on the episode's thread but this is one of the more fair criticisms. I find it fairly easy to reconcile this episode with "Canterlot Boutique," but to each their own.

"Stranger Than Fan Fiction": Yes, because a nitpicky, sceptical sort like Quibble Pants would totally find it easy to believe that a fictional book series he finds implausible is real. Are you going out of your way to criticize a character that annoyed you?

"The Cart Before the Ponies": Criticism is entirely the point, but suggesting that not enough is done to make it organic is fair. I don't see the Show Stoppers similarity, though - the CMC trying different things is treated rather sincerely here.

"28 Pranks Later": Fair re: Dash, otherwise I don't see where you're coming from.

• Brohoof 1

To be honest here, I like season 6 and it is my favourite, like I mean the next episode has changelings, a future episode has Las Pegasus appearing in in, an AJ and Fluttershy episode with the cutie map in it for once, a cute baby, another good dragon, Rainbow becoming a full time Wonderbolt, Rarity opening up a boutique in Manehattan, Fluttershy becoming good at a sport called buckball,and finally we prank back Rainbow Dash.

What more could we ask for? :squee:

Maybe the season IS good, but people brainwash other people or it is just that they don't appreciate it. :wau:

Edited by Cocoa-sweet-Rarity
  • Brohoof 3

Its because what they want is slice of life and no plot, you know what Hasbro wanted not lauren faust. Then they prolly say Hasbro ruined it since lauren left. And there are some good episodes and some bad episodes, like season 5, like season 4, etc. Granted its a different flavor these days which might be their complaint. But no show can be ignorant of their own success without drawbacks, like imagine if the show was more how you wanted it but they ignored all input and closed fan content always, like as harsh as team 4 star would get their stuff closed if they didn't include the disclaimer every episode of their abridged shows. That's what it takes to keep the vision from steering course, and I think the fandom wouldn't have taken off as well if that happened and it'd be even harder to respect Hasbro than what everyone is already complaining about Hasbro over.

Then theres the logical fallacy that old timers make which is 'its different I don't like it' essentially. Its not who they fell in love with, but that's a bias, and new scenarios come with new episodes its a fact. Which means even if it somehow fit all the fan's expectations they still wouldn't be satisfied.

But I could be a little off. Actually I also think its similar to how different religions argue over their interpretations, its just a symptom of fanboyism dying down.

To be fair Hasbro didn't really ruin the show when Lauren left, but I think it's at least had a small effect on it. I hate it when creators ditch their shows like that.

Pretty much this.

The season fills very fillerish, not much moving forward, there's no meta-plot like S4 and the map is STILL pretty much just a glorified WOW daily quest giver, and the only real "new" thing is starlight glimmer, who I hate.

There's some good episodes, but its also got a disproportionately high number of Bad episodes that are REALLY bad. Like Newbie dash, AJ's day off, 28 pranks later, the crystalling, ect. This makes it hard to say "but its got some GOOD episodes!" when they're diamonds sitting in a full toilet bowl. This is the second weakest season yet, next to S3.

Maybe if there was something to look forward to for this season's finale, I could get excited, like wondering what the box would have inside of it, or uncovering more map information. But the only thing I have to look forward to is another starlight Finale, because I'm pretty much 90% certain that's what we're getting for the finale.

Just really not liking this season so far. Ironically, LOE is looking vastly better, and I hated EQG and FG.

OK, I've stressed this before but pretty much every season is mostly filler episodes anyway. Season 1 only had 2 arc related episodes plus the finale, and season 4 had 5 arc related episodes other than the two parters in the whole thing. I pretty much agree with you on the map and while I like Starlight myself I'm not surprised she's become the barony community's latest punching bag.

This is kind of going on a tangent, but that might have been what the writers originally thought in the earlier days of the series. Magical Mystery Cure was originally suppose to be a sort of series finale in case the show got cancelled, right? So why didn't the CMC get their cutie marks back in Season 3?

But I digress. I personally don't see what's wrong with giving the CMC their cutie marks. The usual "Let's go try (insert activity here) to get our cutie marks!" episodes would've gotten stale after a while.

THANK YOU! I was waiting for somepony to bring that up...

Pretty bitter about people finally mirroring the complaints I've had about the show since season 4 in what I've found the best season in a while, but I do wonder how my now-improved opinion of season 4 will affect my feelings on season 6. I feel like one of the few people who really liked this season's premiere, and perhaps this shows where I'm coming from, but I've generally been way more satisfied with this season than the past two. I'll have to see how I feel at the end, because I feel the season is losing its direction, but I'm happier with season 6 than I was with season 5. Maybe it's just lowered expectations, as my recent re-watch of season 4 was a lot less tedious and disappointing than the first time through. I never thought the story arcs were all that good, and my favourite season is the completely uncohesive season 2, so that could be why season 6's pared-down style is doing so much for me. Haven't even hated a single episode so far.

Well, that's cool. It's funny how later seasons can change people's opinions of earlier seasons.

• Poor use of the mane characters. None of the Mane Six or CMCs are showing any progress in characterization other than Apple Bloom, Fluttershy, and Spike. Ones like Rarity, Applejack, and Dash have been either going around in circles or out of character just to phone the moral in. Twilight has gone nowhere as a teacher other than act OOC in No Second Prances. Season 6 is probably AJ's worst yet.

The current lineup of writers writes the characters, but most of them don't understand them. And this isn't exclusively the new writers. The old guard is to blame, too. Seriously, if you have to recycle content, regress characterization, and thrust in contrived character flaws just to create conflict, then people'll suspect something's REALLY wrong with the creative process.

• Starlight has barely been used. Following Tail, she cameoed in Spice and hasn't shown up since. She's a mane character now; don't throw her away and act like she doesn't exist.

Fortunately,

she'll be starring an episode in Every Little Thing She Does.

• Lesser-quality episodes following a really good start. No Second Prances, Newbie Dash, Flutter Brutter, and 28 Pranks Later all bombed. Stranger Than Fan Fiction and Cart stink to a lesser degree. When the episodes are bad, they tend to be REALLY bad.
In short, it's a lack of consistency in overall quality. Sure, the whole show is inconsistent, but the problems in between add up. Character derailment, turning characters into idiots just for the sake of humor [e.g., Quibble's character derailment in the jungle], character stagnation, flanderization, thrusting in flaws for the sake of it, stereotypes, a straw critic in Zesty Gourmand, ripping off bad episodes like The Show Stoppers or Mare Do Well [the latter without understanding the problems], and a terrible conclusion to Dash's arc of joining the Wonderbolts. Season five had some problems, but they evolved the show so much and gave people like myself something to look forward to. Season five is my favorite, and it's arguably the best one. Season six got off to a great start, but is now in the series's worst rut. Hopefully, the current team picks it up.

The mane 6 already had plenty of development in earlier seasons though.

I was also kinda hoping that Diamond Tiara would come out.... Something should be done with her.

Anyway, I think the story pretty much ended already which is why they brought in Starlight. But they didn't use her character well, making some fans rather frustrated.

What will happen if they make a spin off on Starlight......

I don't see a spin off happening any time soon.

It did get stale. That's why I was thankful for Crusaders of the Lost Mark: it moved the Cutie Mark Crusaders story along and introduced two potential allies for the CMC, as well as paving the way for the development of Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon.

Jim confirmed on Twitter that Starlight Glimmer isn't going to be a mane character, just a recurring one. It was the fandom who thought she was going to be FiM's version of Sunset Shimmer, not the writers.

Not gonna lie, the lack of Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon has been a disappointment for me. I'm hoping they'll get some screentime in The Fault in Our Cutie Marks.

Valid point. Starlight might not be a mane if she's not being used so much...

I couldn't have said it better myself. Season six has been a lot of fun so far. The only episode I've really disliked so far is "No second Prances." And I wouldn't necessarily call "The Cutie Pox" a bad wpisode; it's just kind of dull. I do think people are overreacting to season six. I think all of the hate is from a bunch of Faust fanboys/fangirls. Like I said, people put seasons one and two on a pedestal (those seasons were terrible) and act like every season from 3 onwards is terrible, despite the fact that the show didn't get good until season four, at least in my opinion. I myself would really like to know what is with all this sudden hatred for season six, despite seasons one and two being really awful, yet no one ever complains about them. Why?

Too right! I was really hoping that she'd play a role in "The Cart Before the Ponies." After COTLM, I was really excited to see what the writers were going to do with the characters of Tiara and Spoon, but they haven't done anything with them, yet. I at least liked seeing them in "On Your Marks."

I'm not gonna lie, it's kind of overdoing it saying that NOTHING from Season's 1 and 2 were good...

OK, I won't be replying to any more comments, it's just too much to work with but here's the main vibes I'm getting here.

1. The Season isn't as bad as everyone says it is, but certain episodes have tainted it's reputation

2. Plot points from earlier seasons are disregarded.

3. characters like Starlight and Diamond Tiara aren't used enough for how much they were hyped up in Season 5.

4. Complaints that the writing is bad in general.

I think I've got the idea of what people think here, but I won't form my own opinion on it until I see it with my own eyes. This thread seems divided 50/50 on whether the hate is justified or not.

• Brohoof 2

I'm not gonna lie, it's kind of overdoing it saying that NOTHING from Season's 1 and 2 were good...

I wouldn't go that far. Season one had some good episodes, but season two felt like nothing but filler. A majority of the episodes you could skip and you wouldn't be missing anything. There were, however, with each season, some great episodes among the pile of rubbish that was season two, such as "Sisterhooves Social", "Sweet and Elite", and "Read It and Weep."

OK, I won't be replying to any more comments, it's just too much to work with but here's the main vibes I'm getting here.

1. The Season isn't as bad as everyone says it is, but certain episodes have tainted it's reputation

2. Plot points from earlier seasons are disregarded.

3. characters like Starlight and Diamond Tiara aren't used enough for how much they were hyped up in Season 5.

4. Complaints that the writing is bad in general.

I think I've got the idea of what people think here, but I won't form my own opinion on it until I see it with my own eyes. This thread seems divided 50/50 on whether the hate is justified or not.

I agree with point 1, but the rest? What plot points from earlier seasons are people talking about? Any plot points were resolved in their seasons. And Starlight and Diamond Tiara were "hyped up" last season? No, they were not! Starlight had a speaking role in all of four episodes out of twenty-six, and the few times she did appwar, she was in the background, which you wouldn't have noticed the first time around unless someone pointed it out to you or you had a very keen eye. And Diamond Tiara only had one whole episode dedicated to her. I hardly call that hyping a character up. And the writing in general is bad this season? Really? I have to admit it took a while for the episodes this season to grow on me, but some of them, like "Gauntlet of Fire" I'd go as far as to call them some of the best episodes of the show. It irritates the piss out of me how people are acting as if this is anything now. Remember that seasons one and two were mostly slice of life episodes, despite Faust wanting to do more adventurous stories, which the show didn't get to do until seasons four and five. I swear, some of these fans are just impossible to please. Edited by Smitty1038
  • Brohoof 1

I do thin kthat this season as a whole is getting a tad too much hate, though there are some episodes this season that are just plain terrible and I think that is what is getting to people. This season has some of the worst episodes in the entire show like Newbie Dash and Flutter Brutter. I found both of those to be absolutely abysmal. For me though, it balances out because this season also has some fantastic episodes like Gauntlet of Fire, Saddle Row Review and Spice Up Your Life. I personally think there has been more good than bad this season and some are treating it like the season 3 second coming, which season 3 was not THAT bad.

Admittedly, I'd say I fall into this category--Newbie and Brutter really soured me on the season.  I also did not care for 28 Pranks, and I just plain despise Flurry Heart.  Buuuuut, I absolutely loved Gauntlet, Saddle Row, and Spice, and I also loved the Starlight and Spike story in The Crystaling.  I think there has been more good than bad, but my problem is really the poor characterization this season.  It feels like the new writers just didn't take the time to learn the depth of the characters, and are portraying them as shallow stereotypes of themselves.  That's what's really upsetting me the most.

But you know what the funniest thing is?  It's quite clear that the general consensus of the community is that S3 is the worst.  Now, I'm not always Mr. Positivity.  In fact I'm a fairly harsh critic and a stickler for things like lore and continuity, but I loved S3.  I've never understood where all that hate comes from.  Let's not forget that Wonderbolts Academy AND Sleepless in Ponyville were S3, both of which regularly rank in fans' top 5 lists.  The whole show has had it's ups and down, really.

• Brohoof 3

even though i have posted before (yay another post closter to 40)...

there are some episodes i dont care for... but in life there is the same...

overall i LOVE the series...

(im watching pinky torture jack... before jack breaks a pinky promis... Last roundup)

and even if it ends in a way that leaves all others to ponder... i will still be a brony, just as i am a treky, furry, nerd, and well... lots of other stuff that i dont even know if it has a "term" for it...

and as i live, i love...

• Brohoof 1

Twilight actually NEEDS character reversion, I VASTLY prefer Twilight as she in an episode like say No Second Prances, where a lot of people complained about her characterization

So you want Twilight to be a hypocrite? 

• Brohoof 1

I myself would really like to know what is with all this sudden hatred for season six, despite seasons one and two being really awful, yet no one ever complains about them. Why?

How about reading through some responses in this thread to get your answer instead of making assumptions? If you actually bother to read, you'll see that people have given legitimate reasoning as to why they're disappointed with season 6. 

Also, I'm pretty sure that the reason no one talks about season 1 and 2 being awful is because most people actually don't consider them to be awful. 

• Brohoof 2

So you want Twilight to be a hypocrite? 

I want Twilight to be ENTERTAINING. Perfect Pretty Princess Master of Friendhship in every way Twilight? She's not fun to watch. If that takes a bit of reversion or Hypocrisy so be it, at least I'll enjoy her as a character again. 

Edited by M'gann M'orzz
  • Brohoof 1

I want Twilight to be ENTERTAINING.

I wasn't very entertained with her being a massive hypocrite. I guess someone had to take the idiot ball for these writers to make the conflict, and what better way than to regress Twilight into someone not even worthy of her title.

• Brohoof 1