Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's With All The Season 6 Hate?

OmegaBeamOfficial

Next year?! That is so long! You are amazingly patient! I KNOW! Fluttershy being all quiet, like her cheering for Rainbow, is super cute!!! cx

Well, to be fair, I could be overestimating. The season premiere has apparently aired over here a couple months ago, but I missed it and there have been no repeats of it, nor have any other episodes aired. But I love how we went from Yay in that episode to GO RAINBOW DASH!

What I don't really like about Season 6:

1) No season-long story arc

2) Lack of Starlight

3) Post-marked CMC

4) Hit-or-miss with the new writers

5) Reminds me of Season 3 of Atomic Betty as well as the Sixth season of South Park

6) Lack of Discord

7) Rainbow Dash as a member of the Wonderbolts

8) Lack of Flurry Heart

1) Agreed

2) Agreed

3) The CMC's story is done now, I don't see anything else to be done with them

4) Agreed

5) Never watched past Season 1 of AB, can't stand it, but I did enjoy South Park Season 6

6) There will be Discord later this season

7) Rainbow Dash being a Wonderbolt is a good thing Isn't it?

8) No comment

It's just been doing a ton of things that's been making me unhappy with the direction the show is going

- For all the shit I give Starlight and her redemption, they aren't making much of an effort to make it feel like it's worth anything

- As far as the mane 6 goes, Pinkie and Fluttershy are the only one's that haven't been fucked over yet

We need more Starlight in our lives... I like how she got redeemed, but it sounds pointless if they aren't using her...

• Brohoof 1

Well, to be fair, I could be overestimating. The season premiere has apparently aired over here a couple months ago, but I missed it and there have been no repeats of it, nor have any other episodes aired. But I love how we went from Yay in that episode to GO RAINBOW DASH!

To be really honest, I had been watching the episodes on youtube :P Not sure if it is suppose to reach here.... Maybe through certain channels. I think it also shows the close friendship between Rainbow and Fluttershy. They were friends for such a looooooooong time!

Edited by Lulaypp Halilintar
  • Brohoof 1

To be really honest, I had been watching the episodes on youtube :P Not sure if it is suppose to reach here.... Maybe through certain channels. I think it also shows the close friendship between Rainbow and Fluttershy. They were friends

I think that's illegal so... Meh.

I think that's illegal so... Meh.

Hehe.... I do suppose it is but........ There is no other ways. Unless if they are coming out with a dvd? Or until my tv plays it whichI probably have to wait longer than next year. I am not even sure if it will play.....

• Brohoof 1

The CMC's story is done now, I don't see anything else to be done with them

No, their story did not end with them getting cutie marks. It simply turned over a new chapter as they now figure out how they will put their talents to actual use.

On Your Marks at least gave us some idea as to how the CMC will utilize their talents, but it mostly ignored the question as to how they will actually find ponies struggling with cutie marks, since it was nothing but pure luck that they happened to stumble upon Tender Taps. 

Then you have The Cart Before the Ponies which flat-out feels like a pointless filler episode. That episode honestly belonged in season 1, when the ReMane 3's characterization would have been at least somewhat excusable. Not only did the episode characterize them poorly, but it did absolutely nothing for the CMC's arc, leading me to believe that they're now in limbo and really in no better position than they were before they had cutie marks. And that's more than a little disheartening, given that the continuation of their arc was easily one of the biggest reasons season 6 had for existing.  :okiedokieloki:

• Brohoof 4

1) Agreed

2) Agreed

3) The CMC's story is done now, I don't see anything else to be done with them

4) Agreed

5) Never watched past Season 1 of AB, can't stand it, but I did enjoy South Park Season 6

6) There will be Discord later this season

7) Rainbow Dash being a Wonderbolt is a good thing Isn't it?

8) No comment

We need more Starlight in our lives... I like how she got redeemed, but it sounds pointless if they aren't using her...

Yeah, you're absolutely right, OmegaBeamOfficial. I think the CMC should've NOT gotten their cutie marks in the first place and it was a BIG mistake at all! I mean, why not have an episode when the CMC would give up their cutie marks for good! Yes, that would be amazing! Well, like they did it with Kenny at the end of Season 6 of South Park!

No, their story did not end with them getting cutie marks. It simply turned over a new chapter as they now figure out how they will put their talents to actual use.

On Your Marks at least gave us some idea as to how the CMC will utilize their talents, but it mostly ignored the question as to how they will actually find ponies struggling with cutie marks, since it was nothing but pure luck that they happened to stumble upon Tender Taps. 

Then you have The Cart Before the Ponies which flat-out feels like a pointless filler episode. That episode honestly belonged in season 1, when the ReMane 3's characterization would have been at least somewhat excusable. Not only did the episode characterize them poorly, but it did absolutely nothing for the CMC's arc, leading me to believe that they're now in limbo and really in no better position than they were before they had cutie marks. And that's more than a little disheartening, given that the continuation of their arc was easily one of the biggest reasons season 6 had for existing.  :okiedokieloki:

Well, I do hate the new post-marked CMC episodes so much! That's why every new CMC episode now ends with the word "Mark" and yes, Like I've always said that: A cutie mark CAN change anypony at all!

• Brohoof 2

This season is filled with filler. Prehaps there is more to come?

Most shows have bad seasons that pale in comparison to the rest. It was Inevitable MLP had the same

Every season is mostly filler. Even Season 1, 3 and 4 with their massive story arcs were mostly filler episodes...

I'm just going to say a lot of people don't like how the writers handled it during this season...

Well, guess that makes sense. Wouldn't be the first time somebody messed up a Rainbow Dash episode...

I don't have much to comment on that since I haven't seen the post mark episodes yet and wouldn't know how they were handled, but all I'm gonna say is if we're going to keep the story going with the CMC's, we need an interesting basis for it. See, I'd imagine that like the Mane 6 had their friendship problems in Season 5, maybe the CMC's could have "Cutie Mark Problems", but then again, it wouldn't work since the CMC's don't have a connection to the map...

i actually like this season, i think my favorite might be season 5 but season 6 is getting up there in my favorites. i like the newer ones, not that i don't like the older ones, i just think they keep getting better and better

EDIT: i do miss Discord. I wish he were more present, probably why i like seasons 4 and 5 more

Edited by Honeysuckle
  • Brohoof 2

Yeah, you're absolutely right, OmegaBeamOfficial. I think the CMC should've NOT gotten their cutie marks in the first place and it was a BIG mistake at all! I mean, why not have an episode when the CMC would give up their cutie marks for good! Yes, that would be amazing! Well, like they did it with Kenny at the end of Season 6 of South Park!

Well, I do hate the new post-marked CMC episodes so much! That's why every new CMC episode now ends with the word "Mark" and yes, Like I've always said that: A cutie mark CAN change anypony at all!

Oh, sorry, I think I was giving the wrong vibe there. I don't have a problem with them actually GETTING their Cutie Marks, because I'd rather have it happen sooner or later then just be left on a neverending cliffhanger with the CMC's which never gets resolved at all, they deserve a happy ending as much as anypony else. The episode where they managed to get them is actually one of my favourite episodes of Season 5, It's refreshing. And now we don't have to hear them whining about how they don't have them anymore. I think the problem is that once they got them, they never really set up any new quests for them to do afterwards, other than the whole helping other ponies with their marks thing. But like I've said before to others, the only way I see that working is if they had a cutie map style thing going on where they have to travel across the land searching far and wide for cutie mark problems, which probably won't happen. I do wanna see one offs for Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle though, that'd be nice. I'd say Apple Bloom as well, but she has PLENTY already.

i actually like this season, i think my favorite might be season 5 but season 6 is getting up there in my favorites. i like the newer ones, not that i don't like the older ones, i just think they keep getting better and better

EDIT: i do miss Discord. I wish he were more present, probably why i like seasons 4 and 5 more

There will be more Discord this season, I'm pretty sure of it...

I'm with you on this one. The problem Isn't the CMC's getting their marks, It's that the writers  didn't set up anything for them to do afterwards...

Please correct me if I'm wrong but aren't they going to help other ponies get their cutie marks or something like that?  

Oh, sorry, I think I was giving the wrong vibe there. I don't have a problem with them actually GETTING their Cutie Marks, because I'd rather have it happen sooner or later then just be left on a neverending cliffhanger with the CMC's which never gets resolved at all, they deserve a happy ending as much as anypony else. The episode where they managed to get them is actually one of my favourite episodes of Season 5, It's refreshing. And now we don't have to hear them whining about how they don't have them anymore. I think the problem is that once they got them, they never really set up any new quests for them to do afterwards, other than the whole helping other ponies with their marks thing. But like I've said before to others, the only way I see that working is if they had a cutie map style thing going on where they have to travel across the land searching far and wide for cutie mark problems, which probably won't happen. I do wanna see one offs for Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle though, that'd be nice. I'd say Apple Bloom as well, but she has PLENTY already.

There will be more Discord this season, I'm pretty sure of it...

Well they almost disbanded because of their cutie marks and that episode should have been erased from canon in the first place!

• Brohoof 1

Its because what they want is slice of life and no plot, you know what Hasbro wanted not lauren faust. Then they prolly say Hasbro ruined it since lauren left. And there are some good episodes and some bad episodes, like season 5, like season 4, etc. Granted its a different flavor these days which might be their complaint. But no show can be ignorant of their own success without drawbacks, like imagine if the show was more how you wanted it but they ignored all input and closed fan content always, like as harsh as team 4 star would get their stuff closed if they didn't include the disclaimer every episode of their abridged shows. That's what it takes to keep the vision from steering course, and I think the fandom wouldn't have taken off as well if that happened and it'd be even harder to respect Hasbro than what everyone is already complaining about Hasbro over.

Then theres the logical fallacy that old timers make which is 'its different I don't like it' essentially. Its not who they fell in love with, but that's a bias, and new scenarios come with new episodes its a fact. Which means even if it somehow fit all the fan's expectations they still wouldn't be satisfied.

But I could be a little off. Actually I also think its similar to how different religions argue over their interpretations, its just a symptom of fanboyism dying down.

Edited by Lil Pip
  • Brohoof 2

Well they almost disbanded because of their cutie marks and that episode should have been erased from canon in the first place!

Dude, I think you're overreacting a bit. A symbol on their flanks Isn't gonna change the course of time and space.

I'm not going to lie and say it's the greatest thing since sliced bread or anything (although episodes such as Gauntlet Of Fire and Stranger Than Fan Fiction are definitely some of my all-time favorites), but I have yet to see anything even close to making me think, 'ZOMG! IS DEAD! NOES!'

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 4

I'm not going to lie and say it's the greatest thing since sliced bread or anything, but I have yet to see anything close to making me think, 'ZOMG! IS DEAD! NOES!'

Well of course it Isn't. Memes are the greatest thing since sliced bread... Not really.

These are my personal issues with season 6:

- There's no season-long arc, and it really just feels like the season isn't going anywhere or leading up to anything. 

- The mane six are mostly just spinning their wheels at this point, occasionally moving forward, but mostly moving backwards or in circles. 

- Barely anything is being done with Starlight. 

- Barely anything is being done with the post-marked CMC. 

- The writing in general has been very hit-or-miss. 

- Fifteen episodes in, and I feel that the season has been rather pointless overall, as though it was only made for the sake of padding out the show's length and not much else. Again, this is because the mane six aren't really progressing, and the arcs for Starlight and the CMC have pretty much stagnated already. 

Pretty much this.

The season fills very fillerish, not much moving forward, there's no meta-plot like S4 and the map is STILL pretty much just a glorified WOW daily quest giver, and the only real "new" thing is starlight glimmer, who I hate.

There's some good episodes, but its also got a disproportionately high number of Bad episodes that are REALLY bad. Like Newbie dash, AJ's day off, 28 pranks later, the crystalling, ect. This makes it hard to say "but its got some GOOD episodes!" when they're diamonds sitting in a full toilet bowl.  This is the second weakest season yet, next to S3.

Maybe if there was something to look forward to for this season's finale, I could get excited, like wondering what the box would have inside of it, or uncovering more map information. But the only thing I have to look forward to is another starlight Finale, because I'm pretty much 90% certain that's what we're getting for the finale.

Just really not liking this season so far. Ironically, LOE is looking vastly better, and I hated EQG and FG.

• Brohoof 3

I think the CMC should've NOT gotten their cutie marks in the first place and it was a BIG mistake at all! 

This is kind of going on a tangent, but that might have been what the writers originally thought in the earlier days of the series. Magical Mystery Cure was originally suppose to be a sort of series finale in case the show got cancelled, right? So why didn't the CMC get their cutie marks back in Season 3?

But I digress. I personally don't see what's wrong with giving the CMC their cutie marks. The usual "Let's go try (insert activity here) to get our cutie marks!" episodes would've gotten stale after a while.

• Brohoof 1

Pretty bitter about people finally mirroring the complaints I've had about the show since season 4 in what I've found the best season in a while, but I do wonder how my now-improved opinion of season 4 will affect my feelings on season 6. I feel like one of the few people who really liked this season's premiere, and perhaps this shows where I'm coming from, but I've generally been way more satisfied with this season than the past two. I'll have to see how I feel at the end, because I feel the season is losing its direction, but I'm happier with season 6 than I was with season 5. Maybe it's just lowered expectations, as my recent re-watch of season 4 was a lot less tedious and disappointing than the first time through. I never thought the story arcs were all that good, and my favourite season is the completely uncohesive season 2, so that could be why season 6's pared-down style is doing so much for me. Haven't even hated a single episode so far.

• Brohoof 1

I haven't been liking season six for the following reasons:

1. Poor use of the mane characters. None of the Mane Six or CMCs are showing any progress in characterization other than Apple Bloom, Fluttershy, and Spike. Ones like Rarity, Applejack, and Dash have been either going around in circles or out of character just to phone the moral in. Twilight has gone nowhere as a teacher other than act OOC in No Second Prances. Season 6 is probably AJ's worst yet.

The current lineup of writers writes the characters, but most of them don't understand them. And this isn't exclusively the new writers. The old guard is to blame, too. Seriously, if you have to recycle content, regress characterization, and thrust in contrived character flaws just to create conflict, then people'll suspect something's REALLY wrong with the creative process.
  2. Starlight has barely been used. Following Tail, she cameoed in Spice and hasn't shown up since. She's a mane character now; don't throw her away and act like she doesn't exist.

Fortunately,

she'll be starring an episode in Every Little Thing She Does.

3. Lesser-quality episodes following a really good start. No Second Prances, Newbie Dash, Flutter Brutter, and 28 Pranks Later all bombed. Stranger Than Fan Fiction and Cart stink to a lesser degree. When the episodes are bad, they tend to be REALLY bad.

In short, it's a lack of consistency in overall quality. Sure, the whole show is inconsistent, but the problems in between add up. Character derailment, turning characters into idiots just for the sake of humor [e.g., Quibble's character derailment in the jungle], character stagnation, flanderization, thrusting in flaws for the sake of it, stereotypes, a straw critic in Zesty Gourmand, ripping off bad episodes like The Show Stoppers or Mare Do Well [the latter without understanding the problems], and a terrible conclusion to Dash's arc of joining the Wonderbolts. Season five had some problems, but they evolved the show so much and gave people like myself something to look forward to. Season five is my favorite, and it's arguably the best one. Season six got off to a great start, but is now in the series's worst rut. Hopefully, the current team picks it up.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 4

I was also kinda hoping that Diamond Tiara would come out.... Something should be done with her.

Anyway, I think the story pretty much ended already which is why they brought in Starlight. But they didn't use her character well, making some fans rather frustrated.

What will happen if they make a spin off on Starlight......

• Brohoof 2