Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was Twilight rich?

PHISICA

Does anyone else think Twighlight was rich. Just look at her house in Canterlot that I'm sure she still owns, it's located nicely and is pretty big. Sorry this is phrased really badly I am half asleep but I was just wondering.

Considering she was not only raised in Canterlot but somehow able to have a princess babysitting her before earning her Cutie Mark, there's no doubt that Twilight was born to very, very affluent parents. Frankly, it's mildly annoying that the show brushes this off as no big deal, considering that it just adds to the sense that she's a special snowflake favored by destiny in every possible way. After all, even if she hadn't been gifted with incredible mental prowess and a magical talent that screamed CHOSEN ONE so loudly that the supreme ruler of the land became her mentor and began grooming her for a magical ascension only done once before in all of known history, and even if said ascended individual hadn't been her babysitter for no clear reason and subsequently married into the family, Twilight would have been financially secure for life from the moment she was born.

While, to her credit, Twilight did work very hard as Celestia's pupil, she could have squandered her talents and still had a far higher standard of living than someone like Applejack, for all her constant labor, will likely ever know. The game of life was massively rigged in her favor from day one. And yet, despite all that, we're supposed to buy that she's a humble individual who never took such things for granted.

While it would likely feel out of place at this point, I think an opportunity was missed early on for a Rarity/Twilight episode exploring their contrasting perspectives on social/financial status. On the one hand, you have a low-born individual who has dreamed of high society since childhood and, through years of blood, sweat, and tears, worked toward reaching a place in it. On the other, you have someone who was born into high society and lacks any interest in it....but has never truly known any other life. There's the makings of a compelling dynamic there, and I would have liked to have seen what one of the more thoughtful writers on the show could have done with it.

Edited by Captain Sorzo
  • Brohoof 4

I feel that her parents were maybe high middle-class; just high enough socially to enable Shining and Twilight to enter their respective academies.

I get the feeling that Cadence was not a princess when she was babysitting but became a princess/alicorn later on.

Most of Twilight's perceived affluence probably came from her position as "Personally Chosen Apprentice of Princess Celestia"; which would afford her her own room in the castle and related respect in the palace grounds. Than, as the Royal Representative of Canterlot, she was given the library to live in and manage. Than she became a princess.

How much of her wealth she personally owns is unknown. I would imagine she has a personal spending fund from Celestia as she seems to be the type to be that generous. Plus Twilight seems to be the type to value saving money (although she would probably waste it all on book buying splurges). The rest of her wealth would be "government funds" due to her status (Apprentice-Royal Representative-Princess).

Due to this reason, I would say Rarity would have the largest wealth of the Mane 7 that is personally hers.

I get the feeling that Cadence was not a princess when she was babysitting but became a princess/alicorn later on.

She's shown to be an Alicorn in flashback scenes in A Canterlot Wedding where Twilight still lacks a Cutie Mark.

I don't think Twilight was rich as a student, I believe she was just gifted. Considering Twilight was the "prized pupil" of Celestia, I'm pretty sure it was she who granted Twilight the Observatory. 

Either way, she's probably rich now considering royalty. I'm just surprised her parents haven't moved in with her. Wouldn't that be a funny episode? 

While it would likely feel out of place at this point, I think an opportunity was missed early on for a Rarity/Twilight episode exploring their contrasting perspectives on social/financial status. On the one hand, you have a low-born individual who has dreamed of high society since childhood and, through years of blood, sweat, and tears, worked toward reaching a place in it. On the other, you have someone who was born into high society and lacks any interest in it....but has never truly known any other life. There's the makings of a compelling dynamic there, and I would have liked to see what one of the more thoughtful writers on the show could have done with it.

Great post! And I would love to see an episode like that, too!

I don't think Twilight was rich as a student, I believe she was just gifted. Considering Twilight was the "prized pupil" of Celestia, I'm pretty sure it was she who granted Twilight the Observatory. 

Either way, she's probably rich now considering royalty. I'm just surprised her parents haven't moved in with her. Wouldn't that be a funny episode?

Now that this discussion has started, I have to agree with Reality. Although Twilight's parents live in Canterlot, and that's where her and Shining Armour were born, they were prob arable just a middle class sort of family, and any property that older Twilight had was probably granted to her by the Princess.

Although, now she's royalty, she's probably significantly more well off than before.

Oh, and the idea of an episode featuring Twilight's parents moving into the castle with her cracked me up, and also made me realise it would make a really class episode, if executed properly.

• Brohoof 1

i think its wroth mentioning that she was the star pupal of Princess Celestia who was the one and only Princess of Equestria, maybe she wasn't rich in terms of her parents having lots of money but maybe Celestia pulled some strings, being that she has all the stings, and gave her a nice place right by the Castle with plenty of library room for all the books she'd need to study.

i think its wroth mentioning that she was the star pupal of Princess Celestia who was the one and

only Princess of Equestria, maybe she wasn't rich in terms of her parents having lots of money but maybe Celestia pulled some strings, being that she has all the stings, and gave her a nice place right by the Castle with plenty of library room for all the books she'd need to study.

Good theory! Celestia seems to act as if Twilight is family, so that would make sense.

May I note she explicitly stated she owned it, and in season 5 we can see she still has a key and ownership.

Considering she was not only raised in Canterlot but somehow able to have a princess babysitting her before earning her Cutie Mark, there's no doubt that Twilight was born to very, very affluent parents. Frankly, it's mildly annoying that the show brushes this off as no big deal, considering that it just adds to the sense that she's a special snowflake favored by destiny in every possible way. After all, even if she hadn't been gifted with incredible mental prowess and a magical talent that screamed CHOSEN ONE so loudly that the supreme ruler of the land became her mentor and began grooming her for a magical ascension only done once before in all of known history, and even if said ascended individual hadn't been her babysitter for no clear reason and subsequently married into the family, Twilight would have been financially secure for life from the moment she was born.

SO. MUCH. THIS.

Consider also that Twilight was able to live (presumably) rent-free within Ponyville's library and that she was never shown to have any financial difficulties, nor any apparent need to get an actual job. 

So yes, Twilight was most definitely born with a silver spoon in her mouth, and it was a major factor as to how she got to where she is now. 

• Brohoof 1

Probably not rich, but from good stock; Celestia, noticing her magical prowess, set her up so that she'd have no distractions from her studies.

Sure, she might have been born and raised a rich pony, but one thing that set her apart from the rest of the snooty canterlot ponies was that she never acted like more than what you would call a common pony. She never bragged, she was humble, and she certainly never seemed to care about it. Basically, she didn't act like a spoiled pony.

• Brohoof 1

I always took it as a given that Twilight's family was well-to-do. They live in Canterlot, and sent their daughter to a very exclusive private school. Let's not forget that her big brother became a high ranking officer in the Guard. That hints at political pull. In my thinking, it took knowing the right pony/ies to get Shining Armor his appointment at the academy.

I may be over thinking this though. It's just my headconon.

Well, I think so, I mean she DID enter a school with high prestige, even if Celestia wanted it, I don't think it was 100 % free... well that's her entire family but she did live in a beautiful house after that

Edited by Xeltor

Sure, she might have been born and raised a rich pony, but one thing that set her apart from the rest of the snooty canterlot ponies was that she never acted like more than what you would call a common pony. She never bragged, she was humble, and she certainly never seemed to care about it. Basically, she didn't act like a spoiled pony.

Exactly why Twilight is best pony.

Exactly why Twilight is best pony.

Well, maybe for me and you, but not everyone. She still has quite a few legitimate problems, especially this season.
  • Brohoof 2

Well, maybe for me and you, but not everyone. She still has quite a few legitimate problems, especially this season.

Yeah I haven't seen season six get I got behind for awhile I started watching last year, so I'm almost to season six. At&t does not have s6 yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Her parents didn't extrude and flaunt the wealthy Canterlot lifestyle depicted in "Sweet and Elite" but instead live of likes of an well of household. Twilight's family is humble and how her parents are still down to earth portrayed how Twilight was raised. Sure, she had no problems monetary wise but she didn't always had to rely on money. Her wealth comes from the friends she made and the good things she did because if she didn't have anypony then she had nothing.