Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which Villain Defeat Method Do You Prefer? Death, Tartarus or Reform?

OmegaBeamOfficial

Which Villain Defeat Method Do You Prefer?  

35 users have voted

1. 1. Which Villain Defeat Method Do You Prefer?

• Death (King Sombra)
    • Tartarus (Tirek)
    • Reform (Princess Luna - Discord - Starlight Glimmer)

This is just a topic I've been wanting to touch on for a while. Whether it be in a Season finale, any random episode you can think of with a villain, or whatever, which method of defeating an MLP villain do you prefer. I've found 3 main ones throughout the series, Reform, Death and Tartarus. Some of the regulars on the forums probably know by now I prefer reform, but looking back on the series as a whole, I figured I needed to be a bit more open minded over it. It's still my favourite, but I can see the problems with it. For one thing, compared to Death and Tartarus, there are way more Reforms in the series than necessary, It'd be nice to see some variety. Death seems a little extreme for a kids show, but I'm open to it. Frankly I was fine with Sombra dying because he had practically no character to begin with, and barely spoke. I think Hasbro's strategy there was to make you not care about a character so much that you don't care what happens to them, and hey, it works. As for Tartarus, I think this was the worst of the bunch, Tartarus seems like the hell of MLP but we never see it and the ponies never go into detail about it, all we know is Tirek is trapped there, so that was any potential Tartarus may have had wasted. Plus, in all honesty, Tirek probably deserved death even more than Sombra did (not because of his character, he's one of my favourite villains in the show, but because he's done the worst thing ever done to Equestria in the show by far) , so... Meh. I don't want to see it return honestly.

Well I have gotten sick of villain reformations in the show, so that automatically goes out the window for my vote.

And seeing how this is MLP FIM, I don't really see any future villains dying, having them being imprisoned somewhere like Tartarus is the only option that I would want, that I can see actually happening.

• Brohoof 3

You could also have added 'escape to fight another day' (Chrysalis in 'To where and back again').  Out of the three listed, my preferred option would be incarceration.  Not least because it doesn't preclude the return of that villain at a later date.  Death as an option has a distinct lack of sequel possibility, and reformation, although I would rate it in the middle of the three, it is the hardest to do well, as we have seen on a few occasions.

• Brohoof 4

I went with the option of being sent to Tartarus. For villains that cannot be reformed, sending them there would be the ideal place to keep them from causing further trouble. We've had too many reformations to last a lifetime in the show, and death is a notion that Hasbro would probably like to not have impede the show's integrity.

I wish the poll had included Sunset under being reformed. I know she's part of Equestria Girls but her reformation was still pretty sigificant in her development as a character.

• Brohoof 2

You forgot dungeons.

And It depends on the "villain" and what they have done. Your question is too broad. Lightning Dust, Flim and Flam, Tirek, Starlight and Gladmane can all be counted as "villains" in some form or fashion. I don't think they should all be sent to Tartarus or put to death. I also don't necessarily think they can all be reformed, since they are not all necessarily evil, they just have misguided notions about their actions or what not. For example, Flim and Flam are con men, probably always will be, I don't think they are evil and I just can't imagine them changing their ways. I also don't think there is necessarily one best way to deal with any one character.

However death is out...  I can see a villain doing something that destroys themselves in some fashion, but not being executed in any form within the context of the show. It just goes against everything that the show (and Equestria) has defined itself as. I am OK with a villain getting killed if it makes sense within the plot of the show. I tend to just think they will retreat before going that far. I think Hasbro would balk before it even got close to that step.

I can see Tartarus being a place to send those who "will not" be reformed. Characters like Tirek and possibly Chrysalis at some point perhaps. But it is way to extreme for your average antagonist throughout the season.

The dungeons might be a decent answer for several of them. Maybe put them into some hard labor or something to learn their lesson. I dunno...

I don't mind reforming, because that is in a sense what the show is about... that being said I don't like the rushing through reformation the show tends to do. I know they have to get it done quickly to move onto other things but it just leaves things feeling unfinished.

I honestly just would take it case by base and decide for each villain on an individual basis. Currently I think they have handled all of their defeats in a rather appropriate manner.

• Brohoof 3

Tartarus. If they can't be reformed at all, save Equestria from being caused any more grief by them and condemn them to Tartarus for life.

That should be the fate for Chrysalis after having put the Royal Family and Elements of Harmony through so much grief and trouble as of late if she remains consumed by her anger, hatred, and lust for vengeance.

• Brohoof 1

Reformed but with massive amounts of distrust and parole included, (maybe some manual labor and exile), not free room and board with an all inclusive friendship scholarship and instant best buddy status with the Mane 6. 

• Brohoof 3

I'm going to be in the minority, but I would VERY MUCH enjoy seeing some actual death to deal with villains. I'm not talking graphic deaths here, I'm talking more "destruction" in how they die.

As an example of what i'm thinking, one of my favorite shows growing up was digimon: The characters would kill antagonists left and right in that show (Okay, they'd technically reincarnate, but still), and I loved it. It just seemed ABSURD to wangst about destroying someone else who was villainous and very clearly willing and capable of killing you and others. As such, when they got to Adventure 2 and started wangsting about how horrible it was to kill LITERAL DEMON DIGIMON, I just found it full BS.

So I'd very much be 100% okay with Fully evil villains being destroyed in a manner where they Explode upon death, like how the Siren's Magical forms exploded (That is pretty much how digimon died in digimon too :P).

No gore, no realism, just the villain magically disintegrating and exploding into shards.

villains like Tirek, Chrysalis, or similar characters would work very well for this: villains like Luna or Starlight would be better served with imprisonment or reformation, but Truly "evil" characters would work best with deaths.

Except, according to the comics, Sombra survived and eventually regenerated Majin-Buu-style.

Majin buu is giving him way too much credit IMO; He was only able to return in a reasonable manner due to his girlfriend being Super OP at healing magic. By his own admission it was going to take an EXTREMELY long amount of time for him to reform from that shard-- and given how the Crystal heart was right over head, its highly possible he wouldn't have lasted that long given that each crystal fair in the past had run the risk of melting him into oblivion.

Just quibbling over using Majin buu as a comparison XD

Well I have gotten sick of villain reformations in the show, so that automatically goes out the window for my vote.

And seeing how this is MLP FIM, I don't really see any future villains dying, having them being imprisoned somewhere like Tartarus is the only option that I would want, that I can see actually happening.

Agreed about being sick of villain reformation at this point.

• Brohoof 1

OK, I've been looking at the recent replies and you're all making some valid points, It's really interesting and you're making me think about things I never did before, so thanks for that. I just have some quick personal answers to give.

@Ganondorf8

Don't worry, I do consider Sunset a big reform, but I want to keep it so this poll can be under Show Discussion.

@GrimGrimoire

Really? I don't remember anyone being sent to dungeons in the show...

@Sidrel Mundet

Who's ever been given that, I mean that would be stupid! (I'm actually not being sarcastic here, I legitimately can't think of anyone that has happened to...)

@A.V.

I don't read the comics. Sorry for that error.

@LeTrotteurFuneste

I was mainly thinking about King Sombra there.

On 10/30/2016 at 12:45 AM, Unlikeable Pony said:

Majin buu is giving him way too much credit IMO; He was only able to return in a reasonable manner due to his girlfriend being Super OP at healing magic. By his own admission it was going to take an EXTREMELY long amount of time for him to reform from that shard-- and given how the Crystal heart was right over head, its highly possible he wouldn't have lasted that long given that each crystal fair in the past had run the risk of melting him into oblivion.

Just quibbling over using Majin buu as a comparison XD

Either way, full regeneration from even the smallest piece -- so it still counts.

That; and all "his Super OP girlfriend" really did was speed up the process, especially by stealing the Kryptonite Crystal Heart.

Edited by Antagonist
  • Brohoof 1

In a lot of cases I'd prefer death, but since that isn't likely considering the nature of the show, I'll settle for Tartarus. Anything but more reformations, basically. In the case of Luna and Starlight I don't really mind their reformation because they were never really evil to begin with, just misguided in both cases. Reforming Discord...I'm not sure how I feel about it, actually. I like him in his reformed role, and I guess he's always been more for chaos than pure evil, but still. I'm glad they didn't go there with Tirek, at any rate, and I hope they won't do it for Chrysalis either.

• Brohoof 1

Really? I don't remember anyone being sent to dungeons in the show...

Dungeons / Jail.. can be one and the same in a manner of speaking. Trouble Shoes got put in the slammer in Appleloosa. Dunno how Equestria courts work, but obviously they do have some sort of law. I would just imagine Canterlot uses some sort of dungeon vs. a smaller town Jail.

They may not use them heavily, but I can see their use in dealing with more minor antagonists and villains.

• Brohoof 1

my favorite so far is the starlight glimmer halftime

when twilight defeated her time travel trap, it wasn't with magic.  the magic failed, over and over, she won by talking and showing.  

i don't want to say I like a STYLE of victory, because variety is good.  It's completely fair to like one, and also hate one of a similar style.

• Brohoof 1

I prefer in the following order:

1. Reform. This is what the show is about, after all. However, some cannot be redeemed. For those characters I prefer:

2. Death. Sombra is the only one so far who has "died", but I liked the way it was handled. In fact it is probable he still lives.

3. Imprisonment. There is nothing wrong with this method per se, but on an ethical level I believe it would be more kindly to put someone like Tirek down than allow him to rot for eternity in a cage. That said, it allows for villains like Discord to get a second run, or even become reformed through a difficult process. Regardless, imprisonment is logically only a temporary solution.

• Brohoof 1

Maybe Tartarus so we can get more story behind that place and if it has other denizens/prisoners. It's also interesting seeing villains go from zero to free megalomaniac as well as the counter measures they put on each villain based on their abilities.

For example I bet Tirek is left several kilometers away from anything magical to absorb.

• Brohoof 1

Maybe Tartarus so we can get more story behind that place and if it has other denizens/prisoners. It's also interesting seeing villains go from zero to free megalomaniac as well as the counter measures they put on each villain based on their abilities.

What we need is a season-spanning arc akin to Batman's 'Knightfall' comic series where some villain cracks Tartarus open and allows all of the inmates to escape, and the Mane 6 have to spend each episode tracking down and re-imprisoning a different villain before confronting the villain that caused it in the finale.

It won't happen, but it would be cool.

• Brohoof 1