Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think about Donald Trump?

Feather Data

More liberal than Eisenhower or Roosevelt? I think not. Until I see a 92% tax rate levied against the rich, more regulated industry, the big banks broken up and dozens of square miles of American land taken from industry and protected, I scoff at the notion. No, I do believe the age of the liberal Republican has been over for decades now. 

Trump is neutral on LGBT

Trump is neutral on LGBT

And very conservative on everything else. One stance does not a presidential policy make. Trump plans to cut taxes on the rich, deregulate industry, and abolish the EPA. Not to mention much of Donald Trump's planned cabinet members are not too keen on LGBT rights. In fact, his vice president believes you can electrocute a gay person straight. 

And very conservative on everything else. One stance does not a presidential policy make. Trump plans to cut taxes on the rich, deregulate industry, and abolish the EPA. Not to mention much of Donald Trump's planned cabinet members are not too keen on LGBT rights. In fact, his vice president believes you can electrocute a gay person straight. 

Pence will have no control, since he is the VP.

Also, you do realize Trump was not always a Republican, right?

More liberal than Eisenhower or Roosevelt? I think not. Until I see a 92% tax rate levied against the rich, more regulated industry, the big banks broken up and dozens of square miles of American land taken from industry and protected, I scoff at the notion. No, I do believe the age of the liberal Republican has been over for decades now. 

Which Roosevelt? You have to remember one was a Democrat.

You do realize more than just the president makes decisions, right? The Vice President has a great deal of influence. This isn't 1880 where the Vice President sits around doing nothing. Then there's the president's cabinet, all conservatives who do not like LGBT rights. Then there's Congress, which is still majority conservative. Trump is also going to appoint a new SCOTUS Justice to replace Scalia, who is likely to also be conservative. Sorry, mate. It's not looking too good for LGBT rights right now. Most of the people in power don't like them. 

Which Roosevelt? You have to remember one was a Democrat.
I was speaking of Teddy, who began the National Park Service and the FDA, and fought hard to enact antitrust laws. 
Edited by CT-1138

You do realize more than just the president makes decisions, right? The Vice President has a great deal of influence. This isn't 1880 where the Vice President sits around doing nothing. Then there's the president's cabinet, all conservatives who do not like LGBT rights. Then there's Congress, which is still majority conservative. Trump is also going to appoint a new SCOTUS Justice to replace Scalia, who is likely to also be conservative. Sorry, mate. It's not looking too good for LGBT rights right now. Most of the people in power don't like them. 

Actually Congress makes the decisions.

And they are not going to let Trump go crazy.

Edited by Feather Data
  • Brohoof 4

Doesn't mean he's any less conservatrive. You have to remember that during his campaign he went in on a Reagan tax plan, and an ultra-protectionist trade policy; which flies in the face of liberal trade policy, which is to say free global trade. His war plan has changed a lot over the course of the campaign from "Bomb them until they turn to glass" to "Not getting involved" and back again.

He's advocated incredibly strict immigration and migrant plans, where in the liberal platform these people would be given their fair shake.

Based on the overview of Liberalism being a system where every individual is given the right to act as they will individually and is seen equally in the eyes of the law he's not even touching it, and the men slated for his cabinet roles tilt very well within the purview of conservative policy. And no: Pence will not be powerless, he will be active in the senate as a tie-breaker and has his own responsibilities as a VP. As a high-ranking officer in government he can also be as much a mouth-piece and extension of the Trump White House as Trump himself.

Doesn't mean he's any less conservatrive. You have to remember that during his campaign he went in on a Reagan tax plan, and an ultra-protectionist trade policy; which flies in the face of liberal trade policy, which is to say free global trade. His war plan has changed a lot over the course of the campaign from "Bomb them until they turn to glass" to "Not getting involved" and back again.

He's advocated incredibly strict immigration and migrant plans, where in the liberal platform these people would be given their fair shake.

Based on the overview of Liberalism being a system where every individual is given the right to act as they will individually and is seen equally in the eyes of the law he's not even touching it, and the men slated for his cabinet roles tilt very well within the purview of conservative policy. And no: Pence will not be powerless, he will be active in the senate as a tie-breaker and has his own responsibilities as a VP. As a high-ranking officer in government he can also be as much a mouth-piece and extension of the Trump White House as Trump himself.

He is not going to ban Muslims, though

Actually Congress makes the decisions.

And the president chooses to enact them, and we now have a very conservative president, looking to build a very conservative cabinet, being given bills passed by a conservative Congress, and reviewed by a conservative leaning Supreme Court. 

For now...

And the president chooses to enact them, and we now have a very conservative president, looking to build a very conservative cabinet, being given bills passed by a conservative Congress, and reviewed by a conservative leaning Supreme Court. 

For now...

Not for now.

off Trump took that policy off his site, because it was unconstitutional

Just because it disappeared from his site doesn't mean he won't do it. More often what candidates say on the campaign trail is something that happens. In short: they actually keep their promises. And by making a ban on Muslims - totally or in large measure - it's a part of his identity and a thing he will end up having to do to keep face and hold confidence with his voters.

Otherwise, he's dead in the water by 2018 and out by 2020 and the meme is dead.

Trump took that policy off his site, because it was unconstitutional

The US has throughout its history had total bans on populations from certain parts of the world for several centuries. It is very much constitutional for him to do so, but not morally right; but he can.

No, he took it off to try and appeal to a wider audience so he can get elected. But it was such a big thing it's hard to forget it.

The US has throughout its history had total bans on populations from certain parts of the world for several centuries. It is very much constitutional for him to do so, but not morally right; but he can.

Indeed. People forget that it was, until relatively recently, a punishable offense to be a homosexual in the United States.Nobody challenged that, and it was mostly left up to the States to decide on becoming progressive enough to lift the ban. Even so, it's still a crime to perform sodomy and even oral sex in some parts of the country. 

Edited by CT-1138

Indeed. People forget that it was, until relatively recently, a punishable offense to be a homosexual in the United States.Nobody challenged that, and it was mostly left up to the States to decide on becoming progressive enough to lift the ban. Even so, it's still a crime to perform sodomy and even oral sex in some parts of the country. 

Remember that time we totally banned the Chinese for sixty years? Or that time where people with HIV were banned from entering the country? That later one was just recently lifted in 2009.

There was also that period that any European not Anglo-Saxon was severely restricted, including Poles; who are my background.

Edited by AaronMk

Remember that time we totally banned the Chinese for sixty years? Or that time where people with HIV were banned from entering the country? That later one was just recently lifted in 2009.

Those too. Then there was the time we shoved Japanese people into concentration camps for the duration of WWII, because we thought that they might have been dangerous. Not one of our shining moments. 

Those too. Then there was the time we shoved Japanese people into concentration camps for the duration of WWII, because we thought that they might have been dangerous. Not one of our shining moments. 

We're also still dragging our native citizens through the mud and dirt.

We've got students in classrooms chanting, "Build the wall," the KKK organizing a victory parade, and bathroom stall graffiti that pairs Trump support with, unsurprisingly, racial slurs.  Every cowardly, racist, hateful fuckwad that at least had the decency (I'm using the word loosely) to keep their mouths shut in the past has been made bolder by this.  Don't get me wrong: They're still cowards.  But now their candidate of choice is headed to the White House, and it's just the validation they needed where their racist, sexist, or homophobic views are concerned.  And just the justification for acting openly on those views.

• Brohoof 1

We've got students in classrooms chanting, "Build the wall," the KKK organizing a victory parade, and bathroom stall graffiti that pairs Trump support with, unsurprisingly, racial slurs.  Every cowardly, racist, hateful fuckwad that at least had the decency (I'm using the word loosely) to keep their mouths shut in the past has been made bolder by this.  Don't get me wrong: They're still cowards.  But now their candidate of choice is headed to the White House, and it's just the validation they needed where their racist, sexist, or homophobic views are concerned.  And just the justification for acting openly on those views.

which part of the wall was racist

aand really though? Bathroom stalls had this during Obama's election I'm sure. 

aand really though? Bathroom stalls had this during Obama's election I'm sure.

And obviously that makes it fine.  Even if one individual isn't a racist douche bag, standing by and saying, "Oh, this isn't that big of a deal," or, "Well things have always been that way," only makes it easier for disgusting shit like this to go on.  But the moment someone says, "Trump has the support of racists," we get the types who insist that simply can't be the case.  NO Trump supporters are racist or homophobic; that couldn't possibly be.  Racism and homophobia suddenly become mere MYTHS, and the problem is, of course, SJW's that blow everything out of proportion.  Not the people spray painting swastikas on windows or writing hate speech on public property.

I suppose that, in lieu of the "wall" comment, I could have mentioned the cries of "white power" in schools.

And obviously that makes it fine.  Even if one individual isn't a racist douche bag, standing by and saying, "Oh, this isn't that big of a deal," or, "Well things have always been that way," only makes it easier for disgusting shit like this to go on.  But the moment someone says, "Trump has the support of racists," we get the types who insist that simply can't be the case.  NO Trump supporters are racist or homophobic; that couldn't possibly be.  Racism and homophobia suddenly become mere MYTHS, and the problem is, of course, SJW's that blow everything out of proportion.  Not the people spray painting swastikas on windows or writing hate speech on public property.

I suppose that, in lieu of the "wall" comment, I could have mentioned the cries of "white power" in schools.

The racist people aren't 'fine' but is it really as if we're on the brink of extermination of minorities? I don't think so. His support by racists doesn't reflect much on him imo. Politics don't work like a friends list, where the people on it often reflect what kind of person you hang around. You endorse a candidate in many cases to screw another one over. So in this case it means very little. Of course, I could tell you about how Stormfront hates Trump..  There are racist and homophobic supporters of any candidate, including Bernie. I don't think anyone is arguing there aren't, and if they are they are very naïve. It's no myth, but it is blown out of proportion at least to ME. It's not SJWs*, it's just the general population. SJW itself is an overhyped thing. I got disinterested in Gamergate post mortum as it turned to whining and witchunting random simpleton YouTubers instead of the whole reason it started. Making it out like SJWs are about to take over the world really killed my motivation to keep listening. The arguments stopped even being made too and it sorta turned into "look at this SJW" and then comments about cuck and stuff like that and no real debates. I miss the debates.

Edited by ARagY

When he hosted "The Apprentice", Trump was a pretty decent guy who knew how to entertain, but when he decided to throw his hat into the political circle and his true personality came forth, he became nothing but a racist, fear-mongering, xenophobic, spiteful, egotistical, narcississtic, intolerable bully who now will become the president of the U.S. For Americans who voted for him, you'll have to pay the consequences when the time comes.

If anyone got screwed over, it was definitely him -- by his own Party, no less.

Well of course. I would have loved for him to have continued, though. That would be far better than who we got for the Dem. party imo.