Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think it's possible to find genuine friends on the internet

Tilgoreth

Well, people online are people, you know. One of my best friends over the last 11 or so years, I initially met on Xanga. Although she went to high school with me, we haven't had much interaction outside of online interactions since we graduated, but she has been there for me. Oftentimes in more ways than my friends that I regularly see IRL.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, many people can and do. But just like real life, for some people it is just not as easy.

I used to make friends online, and had several people I talked to and kept up with, and then some stuff happened and I just removed everyone from my life. Both online and offline. It made things a lot simpler in one sense, but was probably not the best choice in the long run.

Really it all comes down to what you really want.. a friendship is only as good as what you are willing to put into it, and not just take out of it.

• Brohoof 2

yes i do, why? because i have XP
we cant see each other but that's not important, we talk more than i talk with people i can meet
they are amazing, genuine people and i definitely regard them as some of my best friends XP

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, many people can and do. But just like real life, for some people it is just not as easy.

I used to make friends online, and had several people I talked to and kept up with, and then some stuff happened and I just removed everyone from my life. Both online and offline. It made things a lot simpler in one sense, but was probably not the best choice in the long run.

Really it all comes down to what you really want.. a friendship is only as good as what you are willing to put into it, and not just take out of it.

wow that was really good advice. Thanks.
  • Brohoof 1

I do believe is possible to make friends on the internet, as long as people is open to share themselves.

Now most of my friends come from life. We've shared ours quite a bit, growing up together, sometimes even with the same experiences.

I dream of them when they need me, and viceversa. We can feel each other like twins.

Spent to much time together, our electromagnetic signatures are like one. Any change on theirs, alters mine despite distance and time.

• Brohoof 2

Most of my friends are internet-only. I'm happy with it that way 'cause I hate "friends" who are only friendly because they want to beg, borrow or steal from you.

• Brohoof 3

Yes of course it's possible as I and many others have many friends who they met online, I think truthfully I have more friends I've met online then I have friends I've met in real life just because of how often I'm on the internet, most of them I met on this forums such as @Commander Tangent and @AppleGearRising. I even had a couple of relationships online, mainly from this forum.

• Brohoof 2

Yes, but along with that comes the usually pretty nasty nature of online friendships collapsing or being ended by one party. Or maybe it's just me that has bad luck there.

Most of my friends both online and offline seem to just have me around for comic relief now, so who knows really.

• Brohoof 2

Friends aren't just finding people who please you to be around. Like a car engine, a marriage or a garden, you have to maintain it and keep it up or else it's going to fall apart.

I have friends I've kept in frequent contact with for 7 years whom I've only known on the internet. So I'd say the answer is "yes".

• Brohoof 2

The question is if you want friends on the internet, but common interests helps that so yeah i think so. I like people who generally are polite whether i am their friend or not.

• Brohoof 1

Friends aren't worth much. You can lose them and make new ones, there's no real deep connection between most friends. So yes it's completely possible to make "genuine" friends online.

• Brohoof 1

The question is if you want friends on the internet, but common interests helps that so yeah i think so. I like people who generally are polite whether i am their friend or not.

Actually those where some of the things I was thinking about.

Yes it is... I've made plenty of friendships in person throughout my life, but never lasted long (except one). I became really close friends with my Xbox Live buddies, now 5 years later they're helping me with my YouTube channel, and our friendships are as strong as it'll ever be. We've even talked about us all meeting in person, and maybe even living all together, or near each other to make recording easier... hell one of them is now my girlfriend.

• Brohoof 1

Absolutely. The best friends I've ever had were ones I met on the internet somewhere. I've never really understood why people need to be within a few feet of each other to be "real friends".

We do plenty of things together, talk every day and there's always gift trading.

I don't make friends easily though. One out of every hundred people I talk to more than once or twice I've ever considered friends rather than "this guy I talk to once in awhile".

• Brohoof 2

Many people have accomplished as much since the mid 90s, so I'd say it's a fair bet you can. I've met a couple of people online in the past few years that I became friends with, but only after meeting in person. I now have some that I'd call "friend" even though I haven't met them in person, but the nature of the friendship is different than those I do know in person.

When I was a teen, I used to have deep meaningful conversations with lots of people online, and many of them were genuine friends. But as time went on, and I began to spread my extroverted wings like the world was about to end, online communication became far less significant in my life, and thus I lost touch with pretty much everyone I knew online. I'd say that's still fairly true for me today, though thanks to the fandom, I'm happy to say I've met a couple of people online that I now claim as friends, though the relationships aren't nearly as deep as those with folks I know in person.

• Brohoof 1

Many people have accomplished as much since the mid 90s, so I'd say it's a fair bet you can. I've met a couple of people online in the past few years that I became friends with, but only after meeting in person. I now have some that I'd call "friend" even though I haven't met them in person, but the nature of the friendship is different than those I do know in person.

When I was a teen, I used to have deep meaningful conversations with lots of people online, and many of them were genuine friends. But as time went on, and I began to spread my extroverted wings like the world was about to end, online communication became far less significant in my life, and thus I lost touch with pretty much everyone I knew online. I'd say that's still fairly true for me today, though thanks to the fandom, I'm happy to say I've met a couple of people online that I now claim as friends, though the relationships aren't nearly as deep as those with folks I know in person.

Thank you for telling me that.

Friends aren't just finding people who please you to be around. Like a car engine, a marriage or a garden, you have to maintain it and keep it up or else it's going to fall apart.

I have friends I've kept in frequent contact with for 7 years whom I've only known on the internet. So I'd say the answer is "yes".

Absolutely. The best friends I've ever had were ones I met on the internet somewhere. I've never really understood why people need to be within a few feet of each other to be "real friends".We do plenty of things together, talk every day and there's always gift trading.I don't make friends easily though. One out of every hundred people I talk to more than once or twice I've ever considered friends rather than "this guy I talk to once in awhile".

Yes it is... I've made plenty of friendships in person throughout my life, but never lasted long (except one). I became really close friends with my Xbox Live buddies, now 5 years later they're helping me with my YouTube channel, and our friendships are as strong as it'll ever be. We've even talked about us all meeting in person, and maybe even living all together, or near each other to make recording easier... hell one of them is now my girlfriend.
Thank your very much for telling me that.

I messed up earlier. Thank you very much for telling me that.

Possible, yes, but not as easily or as long-term as if you made them by actually seeing them on a regular basis.

I like your avatar thanks for telling me that.
  • Brohoof 1