Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MMA: should it be illegal or changes to the rules?

TBD

So what to know if you any of you think it should be illegal?

MMA: mixed martial arts.

New York see as illegal and there a good reason why, so should the rest be seeing it as illegal and ban it? 

What I see is that yeh there are many sport that lead to deaths, but the only different is that MMA allow the opponent to beat down a person till they are half-unconsciousness to consider it a win. that mean 50% chances a person could die and they wouldn't stop it when the it gets a little rough or too far. In my opinion I don't think it should be illegal but there should be some different rules regulation. Players were to sign a waiver that if anything happen to them, the owner wont hold no responsibility even for their death. Thus the person who is responsible for that person's death will walk out without being justified. 

Aside from that I think martial art these day are dead. It was used for discipline and finding your inner soul..now as the years gone by that meaning and its origin are dying. As imp man implied, martial art are only used to defend but not against. 

Overall, again it is the people's choice to meddle with their lives and I would  move on and not pity them. but just  thought i could raise some awareness.  

Edited by Satrox

No, it should not be illegal in anyway.

I have been a big MMA fan for almost 10 years now and i watched almost all the UFC PPVs back then. It's correct that the fighters themselves are fully responsible for their own health, but there also alot of behind the scenes health regulations going on. They are always checked before every fight for any sort of complications and if they are not qualified, they are simply not able to participate and the drug tests in the UFC are some of the most strict i have seen in any sport. The Referees are perfectly trained to call a stop if a fighter dosen't defend himself intelligently to avoid further damage.

1-2 months ago, Madison Square Garden in New York City held their very first UFC PPV, after the state of New York gave their okay, so it's all good their now.

I don't see the problem with MMA. It's a very competitive sport and it's very fun to watch.

My favorite fighter is Robbie Lawler BTW. :P

• Brohoof 2

The people that choose to fight in this petty game are fully aware of the possible consequences of that choice. If an adult wishes to put their own life at risk, it is their right to do so. I don't see the need for added regulations, when the people whom actually walk this path don't ask for them.

MMA is very controversial in my book. What should be prohibited is when an opponent is half-conscious, the person just beats them down to knock out. This is unfair to that person. Plus, there is a huge chance that one of the fighters leaves the ring with a concussion. This is a very dangerous sport, and it is virtually street fighting but in a ring.

• Brohoof 1

MMA is very controversial in my book. What should be prohibited is when an opponent is half-conscious, the person just beats them down to knock out. This is unfair to that person. Plus, there is a huge chance that one of the fighters leaves the ring with a concussion. This is a very dangerous sport, and it is virtually street fighting but in a ring.

The fighters have managers that can throw in the towel, to signal the fighter gives up. The reason they can't just stop a fight if someone has an advantage is because that is unfair to the fighter being pressured. In very one sided situations, referees already stop the fights. 

Thanks all for sharing your thoughts, I would like add that I guess MMA is a gray area, I have two people I know who does MMA. One left because for personal reason, but think it was a bit extreme, other stay because he enjoyed it.  Yes people do sign up for it and expect to get some black and blue. As much as I'm against it (for many reasons), it is people's choice and some do enjoy the adrenaline. Which i have no place to say anything about that. 

First of all, it's not Imp man, it's Ip Man, the mentor of Bruce Lee. 

Second, more people have died in boxing than have in MMA. 

MMA has what is called a TKO, technical knock out, where a fighter is conscious but is continually getting beat down and is not showing that they can defend themselves or progressing towards any offense. Fights are often ended in such a manner to secure fighter saftey and to keep a guy from getting legit KO'd if it hasn't happened already. 

Also, most MMA companies operate under the unified MMA rules, which forbid moves such as strikes to the back of the head, kicks or knee strikes to the head of an opponent who is grounded, on their knees or at a three point stance, no low blows, no strikes to the throat, no fingers to the eye, no scratching, biting or fish hooking, and no attacking digits like fingers and toes. 

So it is a very regulated combat sport, and arguably the most practical in operation. 

• Brohoof 3

No it does not need to be banned. Grown people are doing this because they CHOOSE to. They know the risks it can involve and train heavily for matches. If someone does not like the sport, so be it.. don't watch it. If they want to beat themselves to death as some feel they do, so what? It is their choice.

As for regulations.. much like football.. I know several who consider it having far too many and don't care for it for that reason alone. Of course I know people who won't be happy until we get legal fights to the death made a thing.

It's a rough sport. I used to practice, but then I once took a kick to my jaw that knocked me out cold.

If you can't handle it, don't do it. There's no shame. But the people participating in championships are usually good sports. It's the amount of contact involved that can get you. You don't have to outlaw the sport because it involves injuries, that's asinine.

It can be a pretty brutal sport, but the people that participate in it know that fully. These people can take some hard hits but part of the sport is knowing how to counter said hits and outdo your opponent. Like a chess game in the form of fighting. It can be pretty exhilarating. As long as the companies are monitoring the fighters regularly and keeping them checked up, the sport is fine.

First of all, it's not Imp man, it's Ip Man, the mentor of Bruce Lee. 

oops i misspell his name. its happens 

shrug-house.gif

and yes thank for sharing that i already know about that since I watch three of his movies. :lie:

. that mean 50% chances a person could die

I hate to be that person but really? 50% chance they die... no way try like 3% chance they die. Probably less then that. The thing you have to remember is at each of these fights there are trained medical staff and an Ambulance on standby.

Personally, I don't like MMA, I don't like any sports, but I do hate when people try to exacerbate a situation because they have a problem with it. 

Also, NO state should be taking notes from NY. The state they tried to ban large soft drinks and is in more than $350,000,000,000 in debt.

• Brohoof 1

I hate to be that person but really? 50% chance they die... no way try like 3% chance they die. Probably less then that. The thing you have to remember is at each of these fights there are trained medical staff and an Ambulance on standby.

Nah no worries, I might have exaggerated it a bit since i was in my heated state while writing this. 

". that mean 50% chances a person could die and they wouldn't stop it when the it gets a little rough or too far."

Sounds like bad referee, not bad MMA.

Mixed Martial Arts is an art form. If you go in, you know the risks. Banning it will only cause the youth to go on the streets.

• Brohoof 1

Sounds like bad referee, not bad MMA.

exactly as well.  its happen to every sports when you'd have a terrible referee if they are paid well enough behind people's back.

Second, more people have died in boxing than have in MMA. 

Boxing has also been a lot bigger a lot longer.

Grown people are doing this because they CHOOSE to. They know the risks it can involve and train heavily for matches.

This was the argument against stiffening rules and regulations in boxing for years. But you don't see a lot of millionaires take it up for fun. Its brutality is part of why it's generally the downtrodden and poor who get into it from the start. Perhaps if they didn't feel they had to literally brawl their way to prominence and respect, it wouldn't be as much of a thing.

• Brohoof 1

Boxing has also been a lot bigger a lot longer.

This was the argument against stiffening rules and regulations in boxing for years. But you don't see a lot of millionaires take it up for fun. Its brutality is part of why it's generally the downtrodden and poor who get into it from the start. Perhaps if they didn't feel they had to literally brawl their way to prominence and respect, it wouldn't be as much of a thing.

Boxing also uses the eponymous gloves, which do more damage compared to bare knuckle boxing.

You also don't see a lot of millionaires, period. And the downtrodden and poor? The downtrodden and poor most likely can't afford the training or have the resources to keep themselves to maintain good conditioning, let alone stuff like hotels, travel expenses, insurance and hospital visits. MMA is a working and middle class sport. 

The early days you can make a case, as it was just free for all cage fighting. But considering that the other ways fights end are by judge decision and submission, it is arguably safer, as you don't have to be unconscious to loose. Heck, w/ the option to tap out, you can quit at any time you feel the need. You're actually taught to tap as soon as you know you're caught, just to avoid injury.