Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Anime Discussion Thread

Goodra

Come on Larp, you're not going to budge on your opinion on anime so why keep posting in this thread. You're just looking for arguments now. On this subject, we'll leave you be if you leave us be.

So let's ignore him.

Has anypony seen Elfen Lied?

"Anypony an anime fan?"

I got the notion that this thread was up for anypony to discuss anime and not just the ponies who are big fans of it.

I'm not trying to pick arguments, I'm just stating my opinion and keeping to it.

My opinion of anime is negative because all the anime I've seen was garbage, your opinions are positive as you watch all the "good" animes :P

I'm just trying to discuss it...but whatever

"Anypony an anime fan?"

I got the notion that this thread was up for anypony to discuss anime and not just the ponies who are big fans of it.

I'm not trying to pick arguments, I'm just stating my opinion and keeping to it.

My opinion of anime is negative because all the anime I've seen was garbage, your opinions are positive as you watch all the "good" animes :P

You aren't discussing it at all.

You say something negative, you will recieve negative.

You don't even give it a chance. We show you something, and you say,

"This looks like crap"

"Anypony an anime fan?"

I thought the "fan" in the title was pretty self-explanatory... :P

And i'm actually not even a big fan of anime...at least, not since I became a brony.

I thought the "fan" in the title was pretty self-explanatory... :P

And i'm actually not even a big fan of anime...at least, not since I became a brony.

It says FAN in the title, like he put.

You don't even give it a chance. We show you something, and you say,

"This looks like crap"

Actually that is not true, if you wanna scroll back a few pages I did say that some of the anime shown to me was very good (animation at least, they were clips and in Japanese so I can't judge the story of it :P)

Yeah it says "fan" in the title, but it uses it as a question which can have more than one answer -.-

The Love and Tolerance levels in this thread are dropping .__.

I'm just trying to discuss...sheesh because my opinion is not the same doesn't mean I'm trying to hate on it.

Edited by Lady Rarity

I'm just trying to discuss...sheesh because my opinion is not the same doesn't mean I'm trying to hate on it.

It's not your opinion per se, it's the tone in which you are presenting your opinion. Comments about creators being pedos, and saying simple that a Japanese FiM would "take it a level down" aren't going to get you the best responses you could hope for.

And you know what, I don't think a Japanese FiM adaptation is necessary either, but I wouldn't say that it would take the series down a step, without having any knowledge of how it might be produced or what direction they would take with it. :blink:

Edited by Zoop

It's not your opinion per se, it's the tone in which you are presenting your opinion. Comments about creators being pedos, and saying simple that a Japanese FiM would "take it a level down" aren't going to get you the best responses you could hope for.

And you know what, I don't think a Japanese FiM adaptation is necessary either, but I wouldn't say that it would take the series down a step, without having any knowledge of how it might be produced or what direction they would take with it. :blink:

What Zoop said, it's the tone. Very condescending, as if by extention you're looking down on anime fans because it was "created by pedos" as you said.

What seems to be the problem here, Lady Rarity, is that you have a massive hateboner for anything Japanese related. (And it shows in your posts) I realize you don't agree with their viewpoints on things but a lot of what makes anime...anime is that it's based on a culture that is entirely different from most others around the world. You may not agree with the views of it or how they make things (such as the constant perviness of teen male characters and such) but that's how their society is, or at least how they view the typical male teenager.

Most anime, particularly ones based around Modern Japan, will have stereotypical characters and stories but it's what they do with it that makes each one different. Some do it better than others.

Azumanga Daioh is an anime about an almost entirely female cast yet there's little perviness in it at all. There's a couple of characters and lines that border on that but the anime itself has little to do with fanservice at all.

You've stated that you have only seen the crappy anime and we've seen the good ones, well then if that's the case why don't you try watching the good ones? You won't always agree, as is the case with anything else, but at least you'll have given it a shot.

I can name at least five different anime that have little to no fanservice whatsoever for you if that's what really bothers you about most anime.

Remember that you don't always have to agree with the viewpoints of anime since they are from different cultures but that doesn't make them inherently bad by nature. Like I told you before: There is an anime for everyone, you aren't the only one that doesn't care for the pervy side of anime. Some can't stand to see "loli" characters because they know they were put in the anime for the sole purpose of fanservice and this convinces some that the creators are pedos (of course that's not necessarily the case as there's a difference between loli and children)

Just like any other show, regardless of the region it came from, there will be points you like about it and points you don't like about it. Try giving more anime a shot. If you know an anime is going to be something you won't like because it's all pervy fanservice then you don't have to watch it but not all anime is like that.

Note: Attractive/hot characters in an anime does not automatically make it a pervy anime at all. These characters are there because people like to see attractive characters in the things they watch but they aren't necessarily going to have any sort of fanservice at all. Some do, some don't. And note that an entire anime isn't bad if the creators do take one episode just for fanservice, you don't have to watch or like that one episode but that doesn't make the rest of the series bad just because that episode is a part of it.

This is probably a little redundant but remember that the world is not black and white. This pertains to life itself as well as entertainment (i.e. anime or even MLP)

Also, it's one thing to have an opinion and say "I don't like anime" and give reasons, but a totally different thing to specifically quote every post that mentions the Japanese or anime and give something negative about it like "Anime-ified MLP would ruin the show" or saying that because it's made by Japanese that makes it less appealing. It comes across as a hate-train rather than just having an opinion.

Edited by Discordian
  • Brohoof 4

What seems to be the problem here, Lady Rarity, is that you have a massive hateboner for anything Japanese related. (And it shows in your posts) I realize you don't agree with their viewpoints on things but a lot of what makes anime...anime is that it's based on a culture that is entirely different from most others around the world. You may not agree with the views of it or how they make things (such as the constant perviness of teen male characters and such) but that's how their society is, or at least how they view the typical male teenager.

Most anime, particularly ones based around Modern Japan, will have stereotypical characters and stories but it's what they do with it that makes each one different. Some do it better than others.

Azumanga Daioh is an anime about an almost entirely female cast yet there's little perviness in it at all. There's a couple of characters and lines that border on that but the anime itself has little to do with fanservice at all.

You've stated that you have only seen the crappy anime and we've seen the good ones, well then if that's the case why don't you try watching the good ones? You won't always agree, as is the case with anything else, but at least you'll have given it a shot.

I can name at least five different anime that have little to no fanservice whatsoever for you if that's what really bothers you about most anime.

Remember that you don't always have to agree with the viewpoints of anime since they are from different cultures but that doesn't make them inherently bad by nature. Like I told you before: There is an anime for everyone, you aren't the only one that doesn't care for the pervy side of anime. Some can't stand to see "loli" characters because they know they were put in the anime for the sole purpose of fanservice and this convinces some that the creators are pedos (of course that's not necessarily the case as there's a difference between loli and children)

Just like any other show, regardless of the region it came from, there will be points you like about it and points you don't like about it. Try giving more anime a shot. If you know an anime is going to be something you won't like because it's all pervy fanservice then you don't have to watch it but not all anime is like that.

Note: Attractive/hot characters in an anime does not automatically make it a pervy anime at all. These characters are there because people like to see attractive characters in the things they watch but they aren't necessarily going to have any sort of fanservice at all. Some do, some don't. And note that an entire anime isn't bad if the creators do take one episode just for fanservice, you don't have to watch or like that one episode but that doesn't make the rest of the series bad just because that episode is a part of it.

This is probably a little redundant but remember that the world is not black and white. This pertains to life itself as well as entertainment (i.e. anime or even MLP)

Also, it's one thing to have an opinion and say "I don't like anime" and give reasons, but a totally different thing to specifically quote every post that mentions the Japanese or anime and give something negative about it like "Anime-ified MLP would ruin the show" or saying that because it's made by Japanese that makes it less appealing. It comes across as a hate-train rather than just having an opinion.

Is it natural to fall in love with you because of that?

You know, I've been drawn into anime for over 20 years, and the opinion that I can acknowledge the most is that the general "fan" of anime is not like the next.

People will fall into mainstream and branch out into different genres, giving them a different view of the subject. Lady isn't entirely being negative. I believe there's a tension of ideals and some of you are feeling threatened. Kind of like peer pressure when being faced against confrontation for liking MLP.

Also, no one knows what any one person has seen in their lifetime, to include anime, to begin to oppose someone of their opinions. Lady hasn't verbally attacked anyone but that's not what I'm seeing from some of the others here.

Lastly, having a question for a title is improper if the intent was not to gain an answer. "Anypony an anime fan?", under the circumstances more like "Anime Everypony!", leaving much room of thought for interpretation and greater discussions.

Hmph...

• Brohoof 1

Lady hasn't verbally attacked anyone but that's not what I'm seeing from some of the others here.

Aye. I'll confess to being unnecessarily harsh with the 'idiotic' comment, myself.

My bad, I don't mean to sound as if I'm looking down upon everything Japanese, I just haven't seen film and animation from Japan that I really enjoy. I'm open to anime recommendations if you have any.

But like MyKotoShi and I mentioned, the title gives the notion that the topic is open to everypony who enjoys and doesn't enjoy anime.

Note: I don't mind a hot character in the show, as long as it's done in a way that isn't...well...perverted ;)

You know, I've been drawn into anime for over 20 years, and the opinion that I can acknowledge the most is that the general "fan" of anime is not like the next.

People will fall into mainstream and branch out into different genres, giving them a different view of the subject. Lady isn't entirely being negative. I believe there's a tension of ideals and some of you are feeling threatened. Kind of like peer pressure when being faced against confrontation for liking MLP.

Also, no one knows what any one person has seen in their lifetime, to include anime, to begin to oppose someone of their opinions. Lady hasn't verbally attacked anyone but that's not what I'm seeing from some of the others here.

Lastly, having a question for a title is improper if the intent was not to gain an answer. "Anypony an anime fan?", under the circumstances more like "Anime Everypony!", leaving much room of thought for interpretation and greater discussions.

Hmph...

While it's true Lady Rarity hasn't verbally attacked anyone there is still an instinctive reaction to his opposing opinion. Some are a little harsh in their reaction but at the same time Rarity hasn't been totally cordial himself. Basically, all of us can be a little more gentle with each other. It's not like any of us, including Lady Rarity, have any bad intentions. We just don't choose our words carefully enough sometimes so it leads to unneeded arguments.

• Brohoof 1

Basically, all of us can be a little more gentle with each other. It's not like any of us, including Lady Rarity, have any bad intentions. We just don't choose our words carefully enough sometimes so it leads to unneeded arguments.

Group hug?

Posted Image

• Brohoof 2

My bad, I don't mean to sound as if I'm looking down upon everything Japanese, I just haven't seen film and animation from Japan that I really enjoy. I'm open to anime recommendations if you have any.

But like MyKotoShi and I mentioned, the title gives the notion that the topic is open to everypony who enjoys and doesn't enjoy anime.

Note: I don't mind a hot character in the show, as long as it's done in a way that isn't...well...perverted ;)

Here's a few anime that might catch your interest a bit more, based on what I've heard:

Darker Than Black

Black Lagoon

Trinity Blood

Ah My Goddess

Record of Lodoss War (Dungeons and Dragons themed anime)

Louie The Rune Soldier (Spin-off of Record of Lodoss War but more comedy than action like the original)

Comic Party (This one could actually be kinda good for you, it has a couple characters that don't care for anime but learn to like it one way or another)

Ergo Proxy

Pandora Hearts

Pandora Hearts is the only one out of all these you'll have to watch in Japanese with Subtitles since there's no English Version.

Even as big of an anime fan as I am I don't particularly care to listen to the Japanese language so I always watch Dubbed anime if I have the chance.

In the case of Darker Than Black I would definitely say watch that in English anyway since I truly believe that the English voices are far better than the Japanese voices.

• Brohoof 1

Group hug?

Posted Image

I never did finish that one, but is also a good anime, but it's shoujo so if you're into love drama's and such, go for it lol

Forgot the name atm though

In addition to the sexual contexts of many anime, you have to understand that by nature the Japanese are more involved in their human relations than many other countries. Not entirely sex but the opposite appeal can be played with in many ways including comedy and is often for general entertainment purposes in many anime. Plus their largest demographic being males anyway.

I recommend this anime: Hourou Musuko

I never did finish that one, but is also a good anime, but it's shoujo so if you're into love drama's and such, go for it lol

Forgot the name atm though

In addition to the sexual contexts of many anime, you have to understand that by nature the Japanese are more involved in their human relations than many other countries. Not entirely sex but the opposite appeal can be played with in many ways including comedy and is often for general entertainment purposes in many anime. Plus their largest demographic being males anyway.

I recommend this anime: Hourou Musuko

This is more or less what I was trying to say when I said it was a cultural thing. Didn't exactly have the right wording though! :P