Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Anime Discussion Thread

Goodra

• 3 weeks later...

A series that I recently got on DVD that is pretty good is Samurai Seven.

Posted Image

It is based on a classic Japanese samurai film "Seven Samurai" (I haven't seen the original yet), but in a sci fi setting.

I've heard about Seven Samurai. It was years ago. I should try it out as my anime tastes have opened up recently. When I first watched anime I only really liked stuff like Yugioh and Digimon and stuff but over the years my tastes changed and opened up so I watch a lot more.

I went from Darker Than Black to Black Lagoon to Louie the Rune Soldier and watch Ah My Goddess every few months for chrissakes. My tastes really opened up.

Any relation to Fate/Stay Night? I've only seen a bit of that but intend to watch more.

Yep - it's a prequel, showcases the events of the fourth grail war, ten years prior to the state of F/SN. The same studio that did Kara No Kyoukai is working on it, resulting in a visual masterpiece that far surpasses the F/SN anime.

On the topic of F/SN, I can wholeheartedly say that the anime does not hold a single candle to the original visual novel. Nasu's writing can be extremely and unnecessarily long-winded, but it's still rather epicsauce I'd say. Has a few poorly written scenes of an adult nature however (which were obviously removed from the anime), so beware.

Is the Visual Novel in English? I might have to track it down. I have no real issue with long-winded as long as it's not Tolkien level long-winded.

It kind of drags at times. I'll confess that I skipped through a few dull stretches.

And yeah, there's an unofficial translation available. You can grab it over here.

I've seen the Soul Eater anime but the ending couldn't have been the end. Perhaps they'll make a third season based on whatever happens in the manga. Haven't read it myself but I know it's still ongoing.

As for School Rumble, I started it but never got more than a couple eps in.

I was a good anime fan from time 2 time but anime started 2 lose it`s touch after a while. The Only good anime(s) to me is DBZ, High School of The Dead, Naruto ( But i stopped cuz it got sucky ), Full Metal Alchemist ( Lost Track ), Halo Legends ( Hey, even though it was a movie, it would do good as an anime in my opinion ), Inuyasha, Pokemon, Yu-gi-oh, Bakugan, & Samurai Champloo

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen the Soul Eater anime but the ending couldn't have been the end. Perhaps they'll make a third season based on whatever happens in the manga. Haven't read it myself but I know it's still ongoing. As for School Rumble, I started it but never got more than a couple eps in.

They are remaking Soul eater to go with the manga.

And you should continue watching School Rumble. I was wary at first, but at the end of season 2 I was crying for more.

My Anime list:

One Piece

Bleach

Soul Eater

Clannad

Fullmetal Alchemist

Death Note

All of them are equally good! ^^

My Anime list:

One Piece

Bleach

Soul Eater

Clannad

Fullmetal Alchemist

Death Note

All of them are equally good! ^^

You may like Black Lagoon and Darker Than Black. They have darker themes like Death Note but are more action-oriented, especially Black Lagoon. Darker Than Black is good for people who like conspiracy theories though.

I'm kind of between Animes on TV at the moment. But I AM a huge fan of Onegai My Melody, as my avatar shows.

I loved that show too, at least to start with. I watched the entire first and second season but by the third season I started getting tired of how repetitive it is.

Funny, I feel the opposite. I feel that anime does something most other animated shows don't bother to do and that's to try to look realistic while doing something that is not realistically possible. You get any other cartoon from the US, kids show or not, they don't usually even bother to try to look realistic, even if what they are doing is something that should look realistic because of the seriousness of the show or situation.

Anime is more realistic and warps the animation style for non-realistic things and comedy while non-anime does the opposite and usually portrays anything as "serious" with the most gruesome image they can.

It's one reason I have always liked anime more than other cartoons is because it makes it easier to relate to a body I can recognize or be attracted to rather than one made for the sole purpose to be used for comedy should it come up.

Yu-Gi-Oh!, Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's, Dragon Ball Z, Digimon, Original Pokemon (Season 1), Original Bayblade, ThunderCats, and Yu Yu Hakusko.

I am all in for Classic.

Yeah! Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon (the early ones) EVERY season of Digimon, Death Note, DBZ (abridged mainly :P) and I think thats about it! :D

Oh and Naturo (the first seasons, not the new ones, haven't seen those :)

Edited by SurefireMooly

*puts on flamesuit*

Nope, never been a fan of anime.

I always found it to look silly and primitive compared to some of the newer animation techniques. And CGI anime is just a joke ;)

Gives some examples maybe...?

No offense, but I would love to see you draw something and animate it, and try to make it look realistic.