Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Anime Discussion Thread

Goodra

I have watched about 400 episodes of Detective Conan from March to August, and I would have to say that it is probably my second favorite show (After you know what), and that it is definitely my favorite Anime.

This could cause a huge ****storm around here but...subbed or dubbed? Which side are you on?

I know most anime fans are on the side of subbed but I wonder how many are into dubbed too?

I will always prefer dub to sub any day. I have no issue with most voices and the few that I do (Karin from Karin/Chibi Vampire, for example) I just deal with.

There are some cases where the dub will always sound infinitely better to me. Darker Than Black's main character's VA in Japanese just doesn't fit him but the English VA is perfect. Oh and then there's Goku in Dragon Ball Z. His Japanese voice is horribly unfitting.

I only watch subbed if there is no dub or I can't find the dub anywhere.

Edited by Discordian

This could cause a huge ****storm around here but...subbed or dubbed? Which side are you on?

I know most anime fans are on the side of subbed but I wonder how many are into dubbed too?

I'll watch whatever is available legally.

I have no preference just as long as the dub isn't a butchered mess like 4Kids One Piece, but cases like that are extremely rare in anime dubbing nowadays.

Edited by Chorda

I had absolutely no problem with the VAs of 4Kids One Piece. The problems I had with it were the unnecessary editing put into it to make it more kid friendly. Sanji with a lollipop rather than a cigarette, guns using corks rather than bullets, etc.

I honestly couldn't imagine any other voice for Luffy than the one 4Kids gave him.

Since we're on the issue of dubbed anime, take a look at this picture and see if you recognize the character on the far right...

Posted Image

Yep, that's Near from Death Note. For those of you who don't know, the english dub version uses none other than Cathy Weseluck as the voice talent. She also did the voice for Spike. So there ya have it! Spike is Near! Now try getting that one out of your head. :D

I love watching anime the last one I just finished was Darker than Black that one was really good

I absolutely love Darker Than Black. The fact that season 2 is getting a dub is awesome news, though I don't know anything about the bridging episodes. I don't particularly care if the second season isn't about Hei and his team, I just hope it's still good. Doesn't have to match up to the first season totally, just somewhat imo.

Since we're on the issue of dubbed anime, take a look at this picture and see if you recognize the character on the far right...

Posted Image

Yep, that's Near from Death Note. For those of you who don't know, the english dub version uses none other than Cathy Weseluck as the voice talent. She also did the voice for Spike. So there ya have it! Spike is Near! Now try getting that one out of your head. :D

I've yet to watch Death Note but I know someone who has the whole thing so I'll probably get to watch it. The range of voices she's done though...it's pretty cool. Spike, from MLP, then Near...from a dark anime like Death Note? lol

I had absolutely no problem with the VAs of 4Kids One Piece. The problems I had with it were the unnecessary editing put into it to make it more kid friendly. Sanji with a lollipop rather than a cigarette, guns using corks rather than bullets, etc.

I honestly couldn't imagine any other voice for Luffy than the one 4Kids gave him.

Mayumi Tanaka is a much better Luffy and always will be.

I disagree, though, the whole dub was a disaster. Every single thing. But especially Sanji's voice. Forget about the fact that they gave him a lollipop... His voice was horrible.

I also really despise them not just for the stupid edits they made (including taking out a whole arc) but for changing the BGM. One Piece's BGM is amazing. 4Kids should be put to shame forever for taking that away.

I've yet to watch Death Note but I know someone who has the whole thing so I'll probably get to watch it. The range of voices she's done though...it's pretty cool. Spike, from MLP, then Near...from a dark anime like Death Note? lol

Death Note is definitely very different from MLP. It's a very dark series, but I found it quite compelling. It has to do with the issue of what happens to a normal, good kid with a sense of justice and decent morals, whose dad is the chief of police, and what happens to him when he is given the power of death. It's truly fascinating to watch as he changes... You should definitely watch it. It's one of those shows that makes ya think. :)

I didn't watch a whole lot of OP but what I did watch I had little problem with. I agree with Sanji's VA.

Also, I don't remember the BGM of OP much but the one thing I'll always love is the OP rap for the opening. I'll never get tired of that. LOL

Also, I don't remember the BGM of OP much but the one thing I'll always love is the OP rap for the opening. I'll never get tired of that. LOL

:huh:

I thought that opening was horribly annoying long before I even knew that it wasn't the real One Piece opening 1 and that the show had been butchered.

As for the BGM they replaced music like this:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY7WNpP6sL0

With their generic synthesized music.

I guess orchestral music was not acceptable for kids?

I used to watch a lot of anime. I've kind of been on hiatus since MLP though. I mostly like slice-of-life and romance stuff. Some of my favourites are CLANNAD, Kanon, ARIA, Azumanga Daioh, and K-ON. I like a few shows from other genres such as Evangelion and Bleach, though I never got into Naruto.

I generally prefer fansubs over dubs or even official subs not because dubs are bad (although many are) but because I like to hear it in the original language as it was intended and fansubs often have additional notes that explain jokes and such.

I've been reading the OP manga though, sometimes it's better just to go the ol' paper route!

Also, just to have it said: Top 3-5 anime/manga, anyone?

3-5 because I know that some people can't choose between just three, some can't even do five. I do that a lot of the time and it constantly changes.

Also, specify if your experience is with the anime or the manga, sometimes they are different. If it's both, then list both!

This is in no particular order but they are definitely my top 5.

Negima (Manga)

Jing: King of Bandits (Manga)

Chibi Vampire/Karin (Anime and Manga+Novels based on manga)

Louie The Rune Soldier (Anime)

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi (Manga)

:huh:

I thought that opening was horribly annoying long before I even knew that it wasn't the real One Piece opening 1 and that the show had been butchered.

As for the BGM they replaced music like this:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY7WNpP6sL0

With their generic synthesized music.

I guess orchestral music was not acceptable for kids?

That's actually really pretty.

I'd say it's not so much about being acceptable as it's about being hip. As we all know, some companies try to be hip and fail at it.

Edited by Discordian

I'd say it's not so much about being acceptable as it's about being hip. As we all know, some companies try to be hip and fail at it.

Hip... Yeah, right. Orchestral music is awesome. But this isn't about that. The One Piece anime was created with this music, and the music greatly enhances the anime. It's just a crime to remove it. It's obvious that a lot of the budget went towards giving One Piece great music, but then 4Kids comes and takes it away. What's left...? One Piece is a great story, of course, but the One Piece 4Kids 'made' certainly wasn't anywhere near as much.

Anyway for my favorite series:

1. One Piece (anime/manga)

2. Trigun (anime/manga)

3. Fullmetal Alchemist/Brotherhood (anime/manga)

4. Gurren Lagann (anime)

5. Ouran High School Host Club (anime/manga)

Edited by Chorda

What they attempt and what they actually do are two totally different things. lol

A lot of the US' biggest music industry is rap and hip-hop and stuff so I'm sure they changed it to try to be more popular. Doesn't necessarily mean they succeeded though.

There's always an anime thread...

Of course there's Studio Ghibli's stuff but I also like...

-The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

-Yawara: A Fashionable Judo Girl

-Baccano!

-Gurren Lagann

-Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Well, of course. Anime is pretty big on the internet. One of the main things people talk about next to video games, movies and sports.

There's a forum for everything. And even within those forums there's something else to talk about.

I will always prefer dub to sub any day. I have no issue with most voices and the few that I do (Karin from Karin/Chibi Vampire, for example) I just deal with.

There are some cases where the dub will always sound infinitely better to me. Darker Than Black's main character's VA in Japanese just doesn't fit him but the English VA is perfect. Oh and then there's Goku in Dragon Ball Z. His Japanese voice is horribly unfitting.

I only watch subbed if there is no dub or I can't find the dub anywhere.

I don't mind subtitles, but I prefer dubbed. That is just my personal preference.

Death Note and Darker than Black are both great series. I watched them on Netflix, and am currently trying to find all of the DVDs (waiting for prices to go down or find them used).

As far as dubs vs subs go, I generally prefer subtitles. Not out of any sort of OH MY GOD JAPANESE MASTER RACE belief of superiority, but because more often than not dubs are just sort of lazy.

And then you have the dubs of Evangelion, Baccano!, and arguably Hellsing that actually manage to be better than their Japanese counterparts.

I typically only watch subs myself. For some reason I prefer having to read the subtitles and not understanding the spoken dialogue.

Also, just to have it said: Top 3-5 anime/manga, anyone?

Oh lordy. Let's seeee.

1: Twelve Kingdoms (anime/novel)

2: Spice and Wolf (anime/novel)

3: Kara No Kyoukai (anime/novel)

4: Haibane Renmei (anime)

5: Full Metal Panic (anime/novel)

... and I didn't even realize until I jotted that down that my favorite animes are all almost entirely adaptations of novels... all of which are more than worth reading, I'd say.