Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Hard to Say Anything  

147 users have voted

1. 1. Like It or Not?

• *cringes* NNNNNOPE! ("I hate it!" >__<)
    • Eenope. ("I dislike it.")
    • *crickets chirping* ("…meh")
    • Eeyup. ("I like it!")
    • "It's MY cuddly-wuddly boopsie-woopsie pumpkin pie." ("I LOVE IT" <3)

1 hour ago, Trixie . said:

Big mac singing is something I never expected  to see.

Why not? He's done it before.

One thing I'd like to know: was this the same Big Mac voice artist as usual? He sounded different, and unfortunately I can't check since all the Youtube videos seem to cut off before the closing titles. What's other people's thoughts?

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, King of Snake said:

Why not? He's done it before.

One thing I'd like to know: was this the same Big Mac voice artist as usual? He sounded different, and unfortunately I can't check since all the Youtube videos seem to cut off before the closing titles. What's other people's thoughts?

Never seen him sing. I have a habit of skipping mane 6 episodes, so thats probably why.

• Brohoof 1

Wonder how Applejack will react to Big Mac's fling? Going to some random village to see your crush sounds like a poor excuse when you're running a business.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
49 minutes ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

After the posts on this so far, I have to say the episode lives up to its title not just because Big Mac finds it hard to say anything, but that it's also very tough for those of us who want to enjoy it, but end up saying, "It's hard to say anything nice about this episode!"

This post I just did less than a hour ago got 6 Brohoofs in about 15-30 minutes! Never happened to me before!:o

Guess I'd hit the nail right on the head!

Edited by WiiGuy2014
  • Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, ggg-2 said:

Wonder how Applejack will react to Big Mac's fling? Going to some random village to see your crush sounds like a poor excuse when you're running a business.

if she ordered the apples, his business is to bring the shipment. Its not like he's neglecting his work to go see her

• Brohoof 2

8 minutes ago, ggg-2 said:

Well, that at least is defensible. It sounds like she is a paying client. They mentioned several times that her apple orders were extensive. 

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

So, Big Mac follows the CMCs' stupid advice and try to plant a kiss on Sugar Belle, who's happily napping in a hammock.

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME????!!!!!

What the absolute hell is DHX trying to say with this stupid joke? That forcefully kissing a girl in the middle of nowhere is funny? The CMCs are convincing Mac to sexually harass another pony, and Big Mac's going forward with it! With the news and awareness of sexual violence going on at the time this was written and developed, how the hell can Hasbro's censors not pick this up?

Sure, Looney Tunes was able to use this joke. I heard the very same from a lot of people when Brotherhooves Social aired. That comparison doesn't fly anymore. We live in an era with a whole more activism. Trans* rights' activism is at an all-time high now, and we just had Women's Marches. Times have changed. When there's a different political climate, unfortunate implications open up. They may not intentionally harm anyone, but that doesn't make it okay.

Unfortunately, DHX gets tone-deaf too often for its own good, and all the unfortunate implications over the years really proves this. The jokes from Brotherhooves Social contain transphobic/transmisogynist implications, because Big Mac in drag (the "Man in a Dress" trope) is literally the joke, and they force in clichéd jokes (including a gross-out reveal of his Adam's apple) to really hammer in how bad his disguise is. This vile joke here carries some of the biggest unfortunate implications in the series, because it's sexual harassment.

I haven't even counted the other reasons why this joke fails on such an epic-fail level, which includes Sugar Belle's fright and Big Mac's disgusting kissy face.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 2

29 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

So, Big Mac follows the CMCs' stupid advice and try to plant a kiss on Sugar Belle, who's happily napping in a hammock.

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME????!!!!!

What the absolute hell is DHX trying to say with this stupid joke? That forcefully kissing a girl in the middle of nowhere is funny? The CMCs are convincing Mac to sexually harass another pony, and Big Mac's going forward with it! With the news and awareness of sexual violence going on at the time this was written and developed, how the hell can Hasbro's censors not pick this up?

Sure, Looney Tunes was able to use this joke. I heard the very same from a lot of people when Brotherhooves Social aired. That comparison doesn't fly anymore. We live in an era with a whole more activism. Trans* rights' activism is at an all-time high now, and we just had Women's Marches. Times have changed. When there's a different political climate, unfortunate implications open up. They may not intentionally harm anyone, but that doesn't make it okay.

Unfortunately, DHX gets tone-deaf too often for its own good, and all the unfortunate implications over the years really proves this. The jokes from Brotherhooves Social contain transphobic/transmisogynist implications, because Big Mac in drag (the "Man in a Dress" trope) is literally the joke, and they force in clichéd jokes (including a gross-out reveal of his Adam's apple) to really hammer in how bad his disguise is. This vile joke here carries some of the biggest unfortunate implications in the series, because it's sexual harassment.

I haven't even counted the other reasons why this joke fails on such an epic-fail level, which includes Sugar Belle's fright and Big Mac's disgusting kissy face.

There were more amusing and effective ways that scene could have played out, and I am annoyed to no end that they went with this. Him walking over and Sugar Belle actually scaring him with a "Big Mac what are you wearing?" comment before he tries to kiss.

On second thought, just choose a different angle to this whole thing. No using fairy tales to woo Sugar Belle. This would work if the crush was a school yard one, instead ... wow. 

What makes it much worse is Sugar Belle's reaction to waking up with Big Mac trying to suck face. That is horror and revulsion. Bad implication is bad. 

• Brohoof 2

Well, it seems like Starlight wasn't in this episode, as some of us thought she would. At least we'll see her again in A Royal Problem.

Somehow though, I think this episode takes place during A Flurry of Emotions or Rock Solid Friendship, since nopony who starred here appeared in those two.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, FirePuppy said:

Well, it seems like Starlight wasn't in this episode, as some of us thought she would. At least we'll see her again in A Royal Problem.

Somehow though, I think this episode takes place during A Flurry of Emotions or Rock Solid Friendship, since nopony who starred here appeared in those two.

Hmmm...There's an idea there. Let me get back to you on that!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

11 minutes through.

And it looks like Big Mac will sing a song to Sugar.

It's gonna be so good, right?

Well, Big Mac just began to sing…

It's…not bad so far. Lyrics are meh, but nothing terrible yet.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

The more I think about the one, the more I hate it. Makes me glad for two a week, because maybe next week's will be less painful than this obnoxious, lazy piece of crap. On Twitter, I said that it was less obnoxious than "Simple Ways," but I'm not so sure anymore. I'd rather watch that one, although both are horrible. 

Full review at my blog: onsite; offsite

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, VG_Addict said:

A Justin Bieber pony?

Hey DHX, 2011 called, they want their pop singer back.

The Bieber joke is really painful. If you're going to use a pop culture joke, don't use that that's incredibly dated.

A few years ago, FIM referenced Lady Gaga in Coloratura. However, Rara isn't entirely played for laughs and is a 3-dimensional character. Stereo Pop here is a one-note caricature.

8 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

The more I think about the one, the more I hate it. Makes me glad for two a week, because maybe next week's will be less painful than this obnoxious, lazy piece of crap. On Twitter, I said that it was less obnoxious than "Simple Ways," but I'm not so sure anymore. I'd rather watch that one, although both are horrible. 

There's another major problem: It breaks the continuity it references. In Hearts & Hooves Day, they learned to not force romance. They're repeating this same problem, only with Big Mac as their vessel.

---

Big Mac's song starts out fine, but gets really cheesy later.

And now I'm beginning to listen to Stereo Pop's song.

Picard, facepalm, please!!

---

Found something better.

twilight_sparkle___facebook_by_hungmob-d

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
13 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

The Bieber joke is really painful. If you're going to use a pop culture joke, don't use that that's incredibly dated.

A few years ago, FIM referenced Lady Gaga in Coloratura. However, Rara isn't entirely played for laughs and is a 3-dimensional character. Stereo Pop here is a one-note caricature.

I'm not a big fan of using pop culture jokes, because they always become dated after a couple of years, if not a few months, because of how quickly pop culture changes. 

Shows and movies that rely on pop culture jokes tend to age poorly.

Edited by VG_Addict

Just now, VG_Addict said:

I'm not a big fan of using pop culture jokes, since they always become dated after a few years, because of how quickly pop culture changes. 

You're not alone. Pop culture jokes, especially ones as obnoxious and corny as this Bieber ripoff and the Grumpy Cat reference from season four, are DOA. If it ain't, give or take a year.

40 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

There's another major problem: It breaks the continuity it references. In Hearts & Hooves Day, they learned to not force romance. They're repeating this same problem, only with Big Mac as their vessel.

Add it to the fucking pile! 

25 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

and the Grumpy Cat reference from season four

To its credit, at least that one is very much in the background. To me the worst example remains the "Winter is coming" reference from "Tanks for the Memories." A Song of Ice and Fire may very well be popular for a very, very long time, but that's just blatant. 

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Dark Qiviut said:

>they follow Sugar Belle to where she sleeps on the hammock

>use the Sleeping Beauty/Snow White reference

Shrek does this joke right.

This shitty moment doesn't.

That's what i was thinking. Shrek is a perfect movie that parodies disney cliches in a clever way.

This is just horrible,

2 hours ago, FirePuppy said:

And that's another thing. She would've fitted perfectly in this episode, considering she knows Sugar Belle even better then Big Mac. Wasted opportunity.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
12 minutes ago, Mesme Rize said:

That's what i was thinking. Shrek is a perfect movie that parodies disney cliches in a clever way.

This is just horrible,

They could've done anything just to make it funny. If Big Mac tried to approach her, and Sugar Belle suddenly teases him (i.e., "Big Mac, I know you're trying to kiss me"), it might've worked.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 5

16 minutes ago, Mesme Rize said:

This is just horrible,

And that's another thing. She would've fitted perfectly in this episode, considering she knows Sugar Belle even better then Big Mac. Wasted opportunity.

I agree that Shrek and especially Shrek 2 were much better parodies of Disney's work than what I saw in today's episode!

• Brohoof 2

Apple Bloom: We should've been thinkin' about what would mean a lot to Sugar Belle!

Well, why didn't you think about this in the first place?!!

This whole plot's contrived to the core. This revelation only makes it even more obvious!

…and the CMCs and Big Mac even dumber.

• Brohoof 1

38 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Add it to the fucking pile! 

:D

Ok. The best thing that came out of this episode was your reaction ... that line in particular. I know you and I disagree on some key characters and aspects of episodes, but you aren't off base at all with this one. 

We watched it a second time and it was really tedious to get through. It was definitely a pile of something. 

1 hour ago, Dark Qiviut said:

You're not alone. Pop culture jokes, especially ones as obnoxious and corny as this Bieber ripoff and the Grumpy Cat reference from season four, are DOA. If it ain't, give or take a year.

Pop culture references are best when they are from something that has stood the test of time. This episode actually had one (Feather Bang pulling a John Cusack). Those references I like. Anything that is only a few years old are usually going to be forgotten. I love classic Looney Tunes, but I had to explain so many of their old ass references to my kids years ago because many of them are forgotten pop culture nods. 

• Brohoof 1

I actually loved this episode. I laughed at the dumb jokes, and overall didn't take it too seriously.

Although I am disappointed they didn't ship him with Glimmer, or another M6 member...