Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Do Any Of You Invest?

Denim&Venöm

Lol, I'm below the poverty line, the fact that I can afford both my rent AND groceries amazes me every month.  My mom invested in a few companies though, I haven't spoken to her in a few years so I have no idea how that turned out, she invested in a few grocery store conglomerates that she shops at anyways, one I can recall was Kroger.  If I could afford it, I don't think I'd invest in anything, maybe a 401K or something at least?  I wasn't ever really educated on stuff like that and there's too many numbers to really be able to focus on something like that.  If something's too wordy, I won't be able to process it properly so interest rates, investments and stuff like that are lost on me.

No, and I don't really ever intend to. I don't care about the financial world and the phrases being thrown around in this thread alone hurt my simple brain. I'll stick to shoving my money in my savings account and work from there.

• 2 years later...

In the past year I started a new job and started putting a sizeable chunk of my paychecks into a 401K. It's better than me spending that money on dumb things and it helps me with taxes. 

Oh and I have both Series I and EE bonds, but I may start looking into some more securities and/or an roth IRA.

In case anypony wants to learn more from the US government website about investing in securities and more:

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/help/treasurydirect-help/learn-more/

and another link to the same US site that defines what bills, notes, bonds, etc. are and mean:

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/help/treasurydirect-help/user-guide/201-210/#209

I hope that helps somepony out in securing their financial future. Any little bit that you invest in helps in the long run. It may seem scary at first, but start small!

Edited by StarlightNyars
clarity

No. There's nothing for me to invest due to no job and limited options in earning money, if at all. And most investments in earning money is only applied in the mainland US, and maybe elsewhee in the world. In US territories, those options are nonexistent. Even freelance work is impossible, and legitimate freelance sites are not only a scam, but impossible to earn profits.

Nope. I do not understand nor have any concept of investing. That is beyond me.

On 2023-02-22 at 4:30 PM, Splashee said:

I would call it investment to put money into objects that increase value with time, but I don't to it to invest. I am just too interested in the objects.

I have a similar view with sports cards, and vintage toys. I do it for the enjoyment of hunting it down, making a deal, and displaying it. That said, when I croak … my family will have that as a source of liquidity. I keep my wife supplied with contacts of collectors who would pay close to market value. 

I also have an IRA and 401K, and real estate. 

18 minutes ago, Ashen Pathfinder said:

Nope. I do not understand nor have any concept of investing. That is beyond me.

Deer lead such simple lives 

I don't have a long term plan. So, the idea would be to invest on my mental health. A new gaming pc, which is my escape from reality, basically. I really need that fix before I end up setting my house on fire. But there were some actual plans for a long term investment to remodel our house into a tourist lodging. But it is hopeless. My family does not have the level of autonomy or maturity to take on this responsibility. I know it because the same happens to me. So, I'm gonna enjoy my vices for what time I have left on this beautiful earth. That is it.