Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S07:E23 - Secrets and Pies

Ashen Pathfinder

What did you think of the episode?  

107 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• Rainbow Dash was right. Trash this episode! (Hate)
    • I would pass on this. (Dislike)
    • Meh; I've had better. (Meh)
    • Mmm, pretty good flavor! (Like)
    • Rainbow Dash is crazy! THIS WAS FANTASTIC! (Love)

TitleSecrets and Pies
Air Date: October 14, 2017
Written byJosh Hamilton
Synopsis: When Pinkie Pie thinks she sees Rainbow Dash throw away one of her pies, she suspects the worst. Pinkie Pie attempts to catch Rainbow Dash in her web of lies...using pies. 

Of course remember to join us at the CMC Clubhouse on Equestria.tv!

• Brohoof 3

• The title was changed to S07:E23 - Secrets and Pies
  • This topic was pinned and featured
Spoiler

Considering I had, like, zero expectations for this one, I was pleasantly surprised with how much I liked it. One of the season's funniest imo

Edited by Kiryu-Chan
  • Brohoof 4

Didn't like this one. It was funny to see Rainbow Dash trying to fool Pinkie Pie one time, two times.....but the WHOLE episode? Heck no. It got annoying and repetitive to watch very quickly, and neither Rainbow Dash nor Pinkie Pie did anything to stop it.

It would have been much better if the episode only lasted 10 minutes, because the original idea can't fit a 20 minutes episodes...

And wow, Pinkie Pie was really scary at the end :o

Only thing I actually liked was the pie made out of concrete xD

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 7

9 hours ago, VenoM_LP-4 said:

Actually enjoyed this episode, though, the turn off for me is that RD just throws the pies away after Pinkie made them for her. Regardless, a nice episode IMO.

Not all of them. She tried to let someone else have them when she could.

That's a reason I don't think she was completely in the wrong for lying to Pinkie, because it did result in other ponies getting some nice surprises.

Edited by n1029
  • Brohoof 4

Spoiler

I loved this episode! As a Pinkie Pie fan, it's great to get an episode full of her randomness once in a while. It reminded me of the earlier seasons even more than "Once Upon a Zeppelin", both with its humor and the way the moral was presented.

Pinkie as a detective is always funny, you wouldn't expect anypony else to go that far just because of some pies. My favorite part, though, had to be when she was thinking about Rainbow Dash as a demonic creature destroying the pies. I sort of wanted to see Dash try to eat that awful pie at the end – that could have been quite funny. The structure was slightly repetitive, but it works in these kinds of episodes.

Out of crazy Pinkie episodes, I think "Party of One" remains unbeaten, but this was a great one too. And no episode with Gummy in it can be bad. ;) I rate it 9.5/10.

Edited by Tacodidra
  • Brohoof 4

I liked this episode. Pinkie being Pinkie and that is all I ever ask of her. Lots of hilarious moments in it... I did feel the way RD did not want to tell her the truth is kind of silly... I mean you don't like pie.... why not ask for cake or brownies or Jell-O or what the hell ever? You could have been honest with her and still made her happy by getting her to make things you do like... It was pretty obvious Pinkie just liked making things for her, so I don't think it would have mattered whether it was a Cake or Pie or whatever.

• Brohoof 3

Thinking about this it really feels like Party of One executed a lot better. Yes, Pinkie's freakout isn't quite as spectacular but the conflict and resolution felt a lot more understandable. RD kept lying because she truly feared how Pinkie would react if she found out the truth, not just because she selfishly wanted to preserve a surprise as in Party of One.

Huh... for some reason this synopsis sounds very similar to "Party of One" in many ways.  Hopefully it's not a blatant retread of that and has plenty original content to offer of its own, so here's hoping for yet another splendid Season 7 episode! :muffins:

Heh, that opening was adorable, hilarious, and a solid reminder that, at some point in her life, Pinkie Pie will most likely suffer from some form of diabetes. :blink: You just... you can't eat that much sugar and expect to stay healthy, Pinkie, you just can't! :sunbutt:

• Brohoof 3

And that is Pinkie when she is upset after a new-found issue. Never make the Pie upset.

• Brohoof 2

Is... is this episode a spiritual successor to "Mmmmystery on the Friendship Express" (namely because Pinkie Pie is carrying out detective work related to a dessert-related mystery)?  Even more surprising... is it a spiritual successor to "Mmmmystery on the Friendship Express" which is doing everything right that that episode did wrong???  MY MIND IS BLOWN BY THIS REVELATION!!! :o

• Brohoof 5

If I am being honest this isn't the most interesting of episodes, but I do find Pinkie's gradual breakdown interesting on it's own.

• Brohoof 1

OK, now this is like a spiritual successor/crossover of both "Party of One" and "Mmmmystery on the Friendship Express" (and sadly, it had a couple of the mistakes of the latter of those episodes here as well, albeit not nearly as infuriating as they were there, namely because this breakdown is centered squarely on Pinkie Pie as opposed to something she was doing in front of ALL of her friends like in "Mmmmystery on the Friendship Express").

• Brohoof 1

This was another one of these episodes that I just wasn't really looking forward to.

The synopsis made it sound like a retread to Party of One, and that wasn't promising.

I thought this episode was okay.  Not one of my favorites of my season, but it was cute.

I did like the bits of continuity in it though, such as seeing Vapor Trail and Skystinger in the background, Dr Fauna getting another appearance, the return of both detective Pinkie, and Pinkie's party planning cave, as well as a flashback to Rainbow's birthday party from Pinkie Pride.

Also Applejack was great in this episode.

• Brohoof 4

Okay; the AppleJack scenes were brilliant, gotta say that, and the ending hug was cute. <3

ALSO POLL IS OPEN!!

• Brohoof 6

OK, that "pie" at the end was just a little too gross for this show (MLP really doesn't engage in gross-out humor that much), but other than that, I thought this was a delightfully funny episode in the same spirit as previous Pinkie Pie episodes from seasons past.  Applejack had some very funny dry humor herself, especially at the end of the episode. :toldya:

1 minute ago, Batbrony said:

OK, that "pie" at the end was just a little too gross for this show (MLP really doesn't engage in gross-out humor that much), but other than that, I thought this was a delightfully funny episode in the same spirit as previous Pinkie Pie episodes from seasons past.  Applejack had some very funny dry humor herself, especially at the end of the episode. :toldya:

Yeah, that was the only thing I disliked about the episode. Was even more disgusting than Philomeena in ABITH and the last part of the Flim Flam song in LoF...

I actually liked this one.  Certainly somewhat repetitive, but it had a comic energy to it that felt reminiscent of the earlier seasons, in a good way.  Highlight was definitely Pinkie’s unblinking stare at Rainbow- the dramatic clock and the utter rapidity with which Rainbow disposed of the evidence was quite hilarious.  The recontextualized flashbacks later on that showed Pinkie’s delighted reactions at Rainbow enjoying the pies was also an effective and heartfelt choice.  Sure it was an episode obstensibly about pies, but there have also been terrific episodes obstensibly about parties.  It’s about what it means to the characters; that’s where the true stakes come from.  And for Pinkie, the stakes were reasonably high.

• Brohoof 6