Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A Problem with OC ponies

Diamond Dynamite???

This.  

58 users have voted

1. 1. Do you think your OC looks like it could be in the show?

• Yes!
    • Honestly, I don't care
    • No!

It's true, there are many OCs, good and bad. But there is a problem. Many people create over-the-top OCs That are very unlikely to be part of the show, yet their "Backstory" has something to do with the Canon. Mostly, it is DARK Alicorn OCs in relation to the princesses. 

Yes, I am TOTALLY guilty for creating an OC that is almost impossible to be part of the show. But my character is actually set in an alternate universe. 

For a show about brightly colored ponies, there are a lot of OCs that look too Villain ish, or dark. Most Ponies in the show have simple and bright designs. OCs Normally have Complicated mane, or are just........ *Sighs*.......... Recolours. Not all though. Some OCs do have a look that fits the show. I'm not insulting complicated Ponies, and I appreciate the designs and sophistication.

If you really want a pony that looks to the show's designs, then try a simple mane design, matching colors that don't clash, and you could use a dark tone with a bright colour, but not all dark and edgy. You could also use a dark color with a light one. Put at the most 3 colours in the mane. Do not go for an Alicorn, and keep horn and wing proportions normal. Do not make the pony too large or too small. At the least make it an Average ponies height, and at the most, Luna's height. Whatever you do, DO NOT MAKE THE EYE COLOR BRIGHT RED! Keep the eye design simple, and fitting to the face shape.

Please, do not take this as a must.

So, In conclusion, make whatever OC you want!!!! No one should stop you. But if  you want to make your OC part of the show, keep the design up to the show's standards.

Thanks for reading :pinkie:

I suppose

WJS02.png

It's about as boring as it gets. Blue/grey coat, brown mane and tail. Only the cutie mark is somewhat unique. 

I know my OC is pretty bland in not creative, but while i don't think some would work good in the show that's not the point it's more a way of self expression so weather you have a dark and gloomy or a bright happy OC it's not about i hope they will be in the show. It's I feel this is a pony who i can truly relate and feel like, This is how i think i would look as a pony. 

• Brohoof 1

Well looking at my ponysona Techno he would basically be a perfect new main character for the show if the show was to take a new direction in the future. Like Techno would end up making the show into something that's showing off the current problems in our society and how we fixed them in the future plus his design is extremely universal and he isn't too bright as the brightest colours on him are on his neon blue hair. So maybe he might be a potential character for the show plus if he was in the show he would basically be completely bassed off a real life personality as he's completely based off myself in real life! :)

post-39251-0-13462000-1481148698_thumb.jpegimage.png.5befc1e4cdceabfbcf9710be6303e64e.pngimage.thumb.png.d23799e9e5b74544cc1006732ac31d9f.png

The so called "Mary Sue" rule that makes no sense to me is Why are red OC not allowed at all? They clearly have a red pony like Big Mac in the show

Big_McIntosh_id_S2E17.png.f88c6ecdd5eb2ebae1ee5f4813981e38.png

If they can have a red pony, then surely Unicorn Will Guide wouldn't be out of place? Would he?

5a12712fb1481_MLPForumsAvatar.jpg.3d14233bb7105c9625312ada1f950d0e.jpg

Okay, honest question:

does it honestly matter if an oc looks like a show design or not? Look, people make ocs and roleplay to have a fun and enjoyable experience, it is entirely their character. While you cwnt go overboard, it is ultimately their design to choose.

• Brohoof 2

true theres lots of unrealistic (for equestria that is) over the top OCs. Honestly i think its because majority who create an OC are younglings - younglings are more prone to mood swings and the teen attitude of "the world hates me and i hate everyone" (come oooon we've all been there) so you see a lot of black like my soul type edgy OCs in attempt to be cool and "dark", because darker stuff is more appealing to a lot of kids who think they are rebellious.

Or theres the another type to create alicorns, which I kinda see more as a power struggle to get attnetion by attempting to be OP and unique, but really isnt.

Then you sadly get a lot of neon colour clashing by the uncreative types - again trying to be unique and attention seeking but in a way that they do not understand colours or deisgn aesthetics. Bright Yellow with glaring bright red manes and tails is actually horrible to the eyes x.x put some accents in that deisgn.

Not having a go at those with these OC types, Im an artist who always wnated to go into character design as a job, plus I was an angsty goth wannabe teen as well as being the attention hog of a fandom (long time ago that was). Ive bene there done that and got the tshirt, but learnt a lot from those mistakes I made.

So let me get this straight... in order for anyone's OC to fit in the show as a possible character we need to give them bright pretty colors, and make them almost recolors to actual characters... gotcha, who needs originality anyways.

My OC was never meant to be a part of the show, but more or less a legend. That's why I've said in threads if he were to ever be in the show it would probably be just hidden references in the background rather than him being an actual character. His story also takes place a few years prior to Twilight going to Ponyville for the first time, so I actually would prefer him not being in the show.

Well, my inspiration for my main OC appearance wise, are from Japanese works. My OC is a colt that looks like a filly,  with blue coat and green mane, to match the earth' main colors. He's basically a pony cleric from the latest Disgaea games 

clergy_img.png

And he's not a previously known species of pony. He has twin dog ear-like horns. This one was taken from the dicloni from Elfen Lied. Don't worry, not slicing in half invisible hands, they just act as sonar, allowing him to see with sounds, in addition to his eyes

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSen5lzH-PyPeDVPz0HLYW

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2018 at 9:36 PM, WiiGuy2014 said:

The so called "Mary Sue" rule that makes no sense to me is Why are red OC not allowed at all? They clearly have a red pony like Big Mac in the show

If they can have a red pony, then surely Unicorn Will Guide wouldn't be out of place? Would he?

Saturation.

On 1/4/2018 at 1:04 PM, Snow Frostflame said:

So let me get this straight... in order for anyone's OC to fit in the show as a possible character we need to give them bright pretty colors, and make them almost recolors to actual characters... gotcha, who needs originality anyways.

OP didn't say anything about recolors, and most characters are de-saturated, not bright. Bright colors usually stand out just as badly as dark colors.

If you want your character to look like it could belong in the show, then use the show's approach to design and color theory. If not, then don't.

On 1/2/2018 at 12:11 PM, Diamond Dynamite??? said:

Please, do not take this as a must.

So, In conclusion, make whatever OC you want!!!! No one should stop you.

Don't sweat the replies, OP. Sometimes people think a criticism of something they created is a criticism of them.

I think my oc would be an ok background pony. Not really a character that would speak. I mean, she's an alicorn. The only alicorns that speak are the princesses. I wouldn't mind being a background pony. I only made mines to put myself into the MLP world. It would be interesting to see the Mane 6, Spike, and Starlight interact with my oc ^^ It's a cool thing to at least think about.

sketchy_tune__my_official_oc__by_shadowxkukiku-dbt48bk.jpg

Just now, dosey doe said:

Saturation.

You responded to my post with just one word that doesn't answer my original question. All I ask is do you think my Character fits into the world of Equestria? Yes or no? And be more specific when explaining why.

19 minutes ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

You responded to my post with just one word that doesn't answer my original question. All I ask is do you think my Character fits into the world of Equestria? Yes or no? And be more specific when explaining why.

It's not for me to say whether it would fit in; only the people who know your character can determine that.

"Saturation" is the difference between your character and big mac. His is lower, which is why he causes less eye burn (not an insult, it's what causes afterimages).

• Brohoof 1

With Sunburst showing up and validating the leg markings, then for me I can see it being possible more than before, but still no. I'm typically very harsh on this sort of thing though. There's really only one fan character in the entire thread I could see in the show with no complaint. 

597bc44be423c_sunset_rose_by_digitalbuckshot-dabf3u4(1).png.dd0a325353a236fd957f10a3b30e8853.png

I honestly don't care but I would say that all five of my OCs would actually fit into the show pretty well (as background ponies obviously. Not in the large role I give them as the main characters of my fanfiction). I don't have art but I'll detail them for you guys.

Walled Fortress (earth pony)

Walled fortress is a pretty basic pony. Can't remember what color scheme I gave her but I'm pretty sure it was basic. Her cutie mark is a castle wall, fits her name and makes sense to her special talent (which is defense). The one thing that might be out of place in the show is the shield she carries around that she got from her parents. She's the head of the Equestrian Adventurers Guild which isn't saying much considering that she's the only member and her base of operations is an old decrepit house in a back alley of ponyville.

Dr. Hoofla Tesscoil (unicorn) and Bubbly Clouds (Pegasus)

these two are grouped together because, despite being two seperate OCs, I tend to group them together as one OC because it's unlikely that you'd see one without the other.

so to start off: Dr. Hoofla Tesscoil (pardon the weird name. It's mostly meant to reference Nicola Tesla.) has a rathe weird and unique color scheme: Light brown body (think dr. Hooves body color) and Dark red mane. His mane is a sort of mad scientist style hairdo. He usually has some sort of brass colored eyepiece on with weird tubes coming off of it, befitting of a mad scientist. Which he ate his thing. He's a mad unicorn scientist who messes around with the science aspect of magic. His cutie mark is, fittingly, a Jacobs Ladder (you know, that thing where electricity arcs between two rods).

on the other hand, his assistant, Bubbly Clouds, is less science oriented and more fun oriented. A fun loving blank flank Pegasus, bubbly clouds is kind of meant to be one giant Kirby reference. She has a pink body and a white and red mane (the pink and red being more Kirby references and the white fitting her name, bubbly clouds, which is a world in the first Kirby game (and it has some damn awesome music too)) and, as you already knew, no cutie mark. She loves fun and food and is quick to help anyone who she thinks might need it. She's also kind of a bad judge of character and is really naive so tricking her isn't that hard (her personality is also a Kirby reference in case you havnt guessed.)

Zecran (zebra)

zecran an is a bit of a confusing OC. Why? He's from another dimension. I won't elaborate on what dimension he's from to avoid spoilers for my fanfiction but he is from another dimension. I don't really need to describe his Appearence too much. He's a male zebra. He has a spikey mane style like zecora and he wears a black cloak. He doesn't have all the gold bangles zecora has though. His personality is, kind of hard to describe. You see, he's a thief. Fittingly, his cutie mark is a cloak and dagger (pretty sure zebra's have cutie marks. Zecora seems to have one at least. Unless that's just tribal paint.). As a thief Zecran has seen many, many horrible things. But one of the worst things he's ever seen was his entire family getting killed in front of him. Yeah, not very kid friendly. It's why he would stay as a background character if he was ever actually in the show. Anyway, after seeing his entire family killed in front of him Zecran swore off thievery. And then he did nothing with his miserable life. He spends most of his time getting drunk in a tavern in his world's ponyville. He is absolutely broken.

Meteor the Reclusive (unicorn)

this guy is the least likely to get any screen time in the show if he was actually in it. (Zecran S a pretty close second). He has a bluish-grey body and white mane and he doesn't get out much. His cutie mark is a meteor falling with a tail of magic. He's a really confusing character. This is because every version of him in every dimension is him. He's connected every version of himself so they can all communicate with each other and see through the others eyes. Thus, why he's a recluse. The version of him who connected them all comes from Zecran's universe. He used an early prototype of the spell that connected them all on that worlds pinkie pie. Thus why pinkie pie has pinky sense. His version is much more advanced though. Confused yet? I know I am.

anyway, yeah those are my OCs. I think they all pretty much fit into the show, even if they wouldn't be shown. 

(Edit: forgot to mention that I'm totally looking for criticism here.)

Edited by Lore Finder

8 minutes ago, Sunset Rose said:

With Sunburst showing up and validating the leg markings, then for me I can see it being possible more than before, but still no. I'm typically very harsh on this sort of thing though. There's really only one fan character in the entire thread I could see in the show with no complaint. 

597bc44be423c_sunset_rose_by_digitalbuckshot-dabf3u4(1).png.dd0a325353a236fd957f10a3b30e8853.png

I think this could work if green was changed to be more in line with rest of the palette; mane and tail style are good, accessories reasonable, cutie mark makes sense.

2 minutes ago, dosey doe said:

I think this could work if green was changed to be more in line with rest of the palette; mane and tail style are good, accessories reasonable, cutie mark makes sense.

Yeah, Rosie's markings and colors make her design a bit too outstanding. That's why I don't think she'd fit in believably. 

48 minutes ago, Sunset Rose said:

Sorry, I disagree. Your OC is beautiful as Equestrian unicorn. She has a nice pastel color scheme, very symbolic bootiemark and does not have weird additions like glowing tentacles, halfmeter fangs and stuff. Рonies with leg markings are not unusual in Equestria and Rosie's colors are pretty common.

The main reason, why Equestrian ponies are looking so similar is technology of animation. Simplier = cheaper. But we can see that Equestrians can look really unique and interesting. Look at Sassy Saddles, Sunburst or Flutterpony's brother (forgot his name). And my favorite is Bulk Biceps! (Looks like equestrian pone a way less than your OC, LOL)

FANMADE_YEAH!!!.gif

On 03.01.2018 at 9:36 AM, WiiGuy2014 said:

Sorry, pone, but Big Mac still has pastel color scheme. He isn't bright red. Even if he's one of brightest ponies I've ever seen.

Edited by internet pone

• 1 month later...

THIS

On 1/17/2018 at 11:37 AM, internet pone said:

The main reason, why Equestrian ponies are looking so similar is technology of animation. Simplier = cheaper.

Thank Celestia that wont happen next gen.

Also, people dismiss bat pony oc's with pastel colours can't be "real" ones. When in reality, we know almost nothing about them. I had to make my oc part pegasus so people wouldn't complain. Who even made that a rule anyway? *shrug*