Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Thoughts on Generation 5(2020) (Potential spoilers)

Karnak

"I'm looking forward to the future, and feeling grateful for the past." -Mike Rowe

When MLP: FIM does end, while I'll be sad its over, I will be happy that the show has done so much. It turned something that was considered a lame property by so many and turned it into a cultural phenomenon. I'm also happy that it raised the bar for the franchise, as from what Ive heard, the Gen 5 creators and writers have said they know the fans are what make it great, and intend to build on it for the next series, they are aiming for a much older audience(No not talking anything like TV-14 or M or anything silly, I'm talking TV-Y7-FV) and are using Toon Boom Harmony(an upgrade from Flash Animation, side note they also worked on the MLP movie) I can also say, with relief and happiness that the 2020 series will NOT be in CGI(the animated movie prequel will be, but the series will be 2D, and done by Toon Boom). 

I'm happy My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic lasted so long and from the email, they intend to leave no lose ends untied and make sure its not open ended. In the words of RebelTaxi., was it cancelled too soon, was their a story left undeveloped? No, My Little Pony had 221 Episodes, 9 Seasons, a spin off series and a movie(For theaters!) 

I'd rather have the series end on a high note like Star Trek: The Next Generation rather then continue and rot like Fairly Odd Parents. 

• Brohoof 8

8 minutes ago, Karnak said:

"I'm looking forward to the future, and feeling grateful for the past." -Mike Rowe

When MLP: FIM does end, while I'll be sad its over, I will be happy that the show has done so much. It turned something that was considered a lame property by so many and turned it into a cultural phenomenon. I'm also happy that it raised the bar for the franchise, as from what Ive heard, the Gen 5 creators and writers have said they know the fans are what make it great, and intend to build on it for the next series, they are aiming for a much older audience(No not talking anything like TV-14 or M or anything silly, I'm talking TV-Y7-FV) and are using Toon Boom Harmony(an upgrade from Flash Animation, side note they also worked on the MLP movie) I can also say, with relief and happiness that the 2020 series will NOT be in CGI(the animated movie prequel will be, but the series will be 2D, and done by Toon Boom). 

I'm happy My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic lasted so long and from the email, they intend to leave no lose ends untied and make sure its not open ended. In the words of RebelTaxi., was it cancelled too soon, was their a story left undeveloped? No, My Little Pony had 221 Episodes, 9 Seasons, a spin off series and a movie(For theaters!) 

I'd rather have the series end on a high note like Star Trek: The Next Generation rather then continue and rot like Fairly Odd Parents. 

Generation 5 in 2020? Do you have a link to where you've found this out?

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Lucid_Nightlight said:

Generation 5 in 2020? Do you have a link to where you've found this out?

It was part of the recent leaks by 4chan, all were proven to be 100% true. Shall I send you the info? 

• Brohoof 2

On topic, personally I can't wait for the new series. I know the one we have now is amazing and can't be beaten, but honesty I don't want it to overstay its welcome. My favoiute shows are the ones with the least seasons (4 to 6 tops) and would find it very refreshing to see where they could take this franchise. New and better developed charecters, unique setting and creatures, more mature lessons, marketing that doesn't scare away the potential male audience and so on. I don't want to get my hopes up, because they have so much to live up to, but I'm still very intrigued.

• Brohoof 3

5 minutes ago, Flutterlicioustep said:

On topic, personally I can't wait for the new series. I know the one we have now is amazing and can't be beaten, but honesty I don't want it to overstay its welcome. My favoiute shows are the ones with the least seasons (4 to 6 tops) and would find it very refreshing to see where they could take this franchise. New and better developed charecters, unique setting and creatures, more mature lessons, marketing that doesn't scare away the potential male audience and so on. I don't want to get my hopes up, because they have so much to live up to, but I'm still very intrigued.

Totally agree! With this new series they have the opportunity to expand the brand into something new and well more fantastical and epic. Yes the one we have right now I agree will never be beat, but it should not over stay its welcome, and Gen 5's creators and writers seem to get what made Gen 4 great, so basically this gives them the chance to put in what worked and leave out what did not.

• Brohoof 2

FiM has done so much for me, to the point of falling in love with their characters and see how far they can grow. But I agree that it's safer for it to end still on high notes rather than keep going until it becomes awful, as seen with too many shows, both animated and not. I just hope they give us a last Toon Boom Harmony made horses before jumping to G5, that'd be my last wish :adorkable:

I mean, looking through the leaks, G5 does have plenty of interesting ideas, I get the feeling that they're gonna want it to be more adventurous than FiM currently is, it also seems they want to aim at an older audience with this one, which opens up for opportunities and bigger risks

• Brohoof 2

It's gonna be sad to see it go, but it is for the best like you said, we don't want it to turn into a never-ending show that loses what made it so great in the first place. I think it's gonna be kinda fun to see in the new generation what new ponies they introduce and all the new stories they'll be able to tell with them. It's gonna be frightening when we're first exposed to the new show, but I think that over time we will come to love it and the legacy it's predecessor had forged for it. :rarity:

• Brohoof 4

6 minutes ago, King of Canterlot said:

It's gonna be sad to see it go, but it is for the best like you said, we don't want it to turn into a never-ending show that loses what made it so great in the first place. I think it's gonna be kinda fun to see in the new generation what new ponies they introduce and all the new stories they'll be able to tell with them. It's gonna be frightening when we're first exposed to the new show, but I think that over time we will come to love it and the legacy it's predecessor had forged for it. :rarity:

You know, if they're going with the multiple worlds plot, we may see a crossover with FiM if it hit a milestone 

• Brohoof 2

This Moliminous video basically sums up what I'm most excited about. No actual leaked content is shown, but it's talked about. Watch at your own risk.

I love the idea of catering to a slightly older audience. Even though the kiddie charm is what got a bunch of us older fans into it, I'm willing to see what happens. My hope is that even if it's still got girly elements, it will be about as mature as the original Japanese version (and the newer English dub) of Sailor Moon. Still marketed toward female children, but with more fantasy violence and whatnot. The formula worked well enough to create a sizeable male fanbase for the series alongside the female fanbase.

• Brohoof 2

7 hours ago, Prospektlicious said:

This Moliminous video basically sums up what I'm most excited about. No actual leaked content is shown, but it's talked about. Watch at your own risk.

I love the idea of catering to a slightly older audience. Even though the kiddie charm is what got a bunch of us older fans into it, I'm willing to see what happens. My hope is that even if it's still got girly elements, it will be about as mature as the original Japanese version (and the newer English dub) of Sailor Moon. Still marketed toward female children, but with more fantasy violence and whatnot. The formula worked well enough to create a sizeable male fanbase for the series alongside the female fanbase.

He pretty much nailed it.

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Blazelicious said:

Why do you guys want Generation 5 so much?

Its not a matter of want, as it is being hopefully for the future. Rather then dread it, we welcome it. 

• Brohoof 2

G5 can be constructed to support lore and expanded universe. Mane 6 can finally achieve their final forms. G5 could be the last MLP generation.

Let the past gen die. Kill it, if you have to. Isn't that what you all wanted from Mane 6? Consider your wish granted.

I would like FIM to have a few more seasons, as long as it retains the quality of the first seven seasons. I think the series has enough characters and settings to keep it interesting, and of course they can always introduce new ones (as they have done to this day).

As for G5, I'm a little cautious. I'll make sure to watch at least a few episodes to see if I like it, but there are so many things I love in FIM that I'm not sure if they could all be carried over: the interesting characters and universe, the appealing visuals, the mixture of comedy and action... The higher rating (TV-Y7) would be a good thing – that would lead to fewer restrictions on the content of the show, without changing it too much (though I'm surprised the episodes are all rated TV-Y, some of them are rated higher in other countries).

• Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, MegaSean45 said:

There's no Spike though. But someone did say there's a dragon spin-off with Spike as the leading character. Are those rumors true?

Actually, if the leaked images and concept pitches are true, Spike is actually in it and has a potential arch.

23 minutes ago, Karnak said:

Actually, if the leaked images and concept pitches are true, Spike is actually in it and has a potential arch.

Well in that case, it makes me wanna watch G5 now! I only watch FiM now for Spike, but if he's in that gen, that I guess I'll give it a watch! But like you said, potential arc(h).

• Brohoof 2

39 minutes ago, MegaSean45 said:

Well in that case, it makes me wanna watch G5 now! I only watch FiM now for Spike, but if he's in that gen, that I guess I'll give it a watch! But like you said, potential arc(h).

Spoiler

A Grootslang who is clearly inspired by both Kylo Ten and possibly Tryion. 

17 hours ago, MegaSean45 said:

I only watch FiM for Pinkie & Flutters, and with everypony else hopefully out of the way after 8 seasons, these two should be wide open for at least one more episode with just each other to end it all right here.

Then we can get ready for G5.

• Brohoof 2

Makes me wonder though, since they are moving from DHX to Toon Boom Harmony, will this allow Gen 5 to use american VA's? I'd kinda like to see Jim Cummings, Ron Perlman, Grey Delisle, Mark Hamill, heck even Danny Devito, who by the way did do voice work for the 80's MLP movie 

Spoiler

And that one of the bad guys is modeled after him