Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Thoughts on Generation 5(2020) (Potential spoilers)

Karnak

11 minutes ago, A.V. said:

If the rumors about G5 Applejack are true, then it already has its first strike.

Well its all concepting. They could just make her like Judy hopps. No southern accent.

On 5-1-2018 at 7:31 AM, MegaSean45 said:

Well in that case, it makes me wanna watch G5 now! I only watch FiM now for Spike, but if he's in that gen, that I guess I'll give it a watch! But like you said, potential arc(h).

But maybe some other characters in G5 will inspire you as much as Spike. It's worth the try. :dash:

• Brohoof 1

My idea would be to have a Gen5 changeling around as part of the group. The writers would be able to do all sorts of things with that shape-shifting. 

(edited)

I think Star vs The Forces of evil is a good tiny inspiration as it deals with interdimensional travel. Pegasi World, Unicorn World, Earth Pony world, Dragon World, Griffon World, ect!

I did see one email which gives me great hope for Spike in gen 5. 

Spoiler

A Grootslang seems to be interested in him. And one email I believe said no crush on Rarity, agreeing it has no place in gen 5. I'm good with that. 

Edited by Karnak

It's time for the Ponies to come to an end...

LukeCord.png.fa7641297ff2ff295d0ed436daefa74a.png

OK, seriously--I don't think I'm going to watch a new TV series.

I didn't give a damn about My Little Pony before Friendship is Magic; I fell in love with the characters from FiM, not the franchise the show belongs to.  

12 hours ago, Kings&Hooves14 said:

I didn't give a damn about My Little Pony before Friendship is Magic; I fell in love with the characters from FiM, not the franchise the show belongs to.  

That's your choice.

For me it's, "Let the past die, kill it if you have to."

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 4:25 PM, Singe said:

My idea would be to have a Gen5 changeling around as part of the group. The writers would be able to do all sorts of things with that shape-shifting. 

Maybe he'll be the comic relief character.

While I wish that FiM would last forever, all things come to an end at some point. Let's be real, 9 seasons is solid for a television series. While I don't think that things are getting stale yet, there will come a point where it does. In that regard, I'm happy with the decision.

If the episode count remains the same for Season 8 and 9, we still essentially have 52 episodes ahead of us. That being the case, the writers and such will hopefully put in their best effort for the remaining episodes.

Someone on 4chan pointed out that the characters' story arcs are starting to wrap up. A few examples that were pointed out include that

Rainbow Dash became a wonderbolt.

The CMCs got their cutie marks.

Twilight became the princess of friendship.

Fluttershy built an animal sanctuary

etc. 

As for Gen 5, I'm looking forward to it (Even if it does mean giving Hasbro more of my money for merchandise). New ideas can potentially open windows and concepts that can hopefully be explored.

EDIT: I sure hope that Spike comes back. He has been around since the beginning.

Edited by Cash In
Typo
  • Brohoof 1

Just now, Cash In said:

While I wish that FiM would last forever, all things come to an end at some point. Let's be real, 9 seasons is solid for a television series. While I don't think that things are getting stale yet, there will come a point where it does. In that regard, I'm happy with the decision.

If the episode count remains the same for Season 8 and 9, we still essentially have 52 episodes ahead of us. That being the case, the writers and such will hopefully put in their best effort for the remaining episodes.

Someone on 4chan pointed out that the characters' story arcs are starting to wrap up. A few examples that were pointed out include that

etc. 

As for Gen 5, I'm looking forward to it (Even if it does mean giving Hasbro more of my money for merchandise). New ideas can potentially open windows and cocenpts that can hopefully be explored.

EDIT: I sure hope that Spike comes back. He has been around since the beginning.

Well you are right. Season 7 itself wrapped up a lot of loose ends like the Tree, AJs parents, stuff like that.

• Brohoof 1

On 1/9/2018 at 2:18 AM, Ryanmahaffe said:

Well you are right. Season 7 itself wrapped up a lot of loose ends like the Tree, AJs parents, stuff like that.

On 1/9/2018 at 2:16 AM, Cash In said:

etc. 

As for Gen 5, I'm looking forward to it (Even if it does mean giving Hasbro more of my money for merchandise). New ideas can potentially open windows and concepts that can hopefully be explored.

True, very true. And as seen in the first half of season 8, more lose ends get tied up.

Spoiler

Spike gets his wings (eat it earth dragon lovers!)

We learn more on Dragon lore and culture

Ponyville now has another dragon citizen, the Student 6's Smolder.

Spike will one day grow horns(not alicorn horn, dragom horns)

Spike will one day grow into an adult naturally

Growth by greed is unnatural and is essentially like drugs for growth and muscle, it comes with a terrible price.

Molting is puberty for dragons and each one adds an upgrade.

And finally Spike will hopefully get an answer to his parents in " Father knows Beast"

Oh and leaked vector s of Season 9...

Prove the IDW comics are non Canon (good riddance)

Oh boy, long post time. I'm going to recite my entire journey from a stubborn, depressed dude to a believer!:pinkie:

I'm not gonna lie. When I first heard about g5, I didn't believe it. But as it started to become more and more believable, I got really worried. It didn't help that I was going through a brief period of depression, either.

The show that I had only started watching two months earlier, the show that had already helped me through one of the most depressing times my life, was going to end. Just like that.

As you can imagine, I was pissed. I was mad at the world, because I felt that everything I would love would be taken from me before I knew what happened. I slipped right back into depression. Now, at this point, I had just watched Sleepless In Ponyville, which is still one of my favorite episodes (this episode aired during the 'golden age of mlp', when the show was at its peak, and there weren't any controversies or problems). Since all I had watched was the first few seasons, I had no opinion of the problems facing the show now because I hadn't seen any of them yet. To me, the show was still FRESH and EXCITING.

Now, I'm on season 5. I have done my research on the problems facing the show, and I understand them. I have accepted that the first few seasons are over, and those memories will be with me forever. I won't forget the joy the show gave me. The show has changed a lot since seasons 1 and 2, and despite all the changes in the show that I may not have agreed with, I still LOVE THIS SHOW. I will always love My Little Pony, because I am (as cheesy as it sounds) very, very grateful for how much it helped with my life. 

Look at Star Wars! Lots of lifelong fans dislike the new movies, but they still love the series! Pony will be the same way for me.

And besides, shows that run on forever (Simpsons, fairly odd parents) may have been great in the early days, but they deteriorate. I don't want that to happen to the ponies I know and love.

So, despite my past hatred of generation 5, I have decided to change my ways and embrace the new generation with open arms, because I won't let any changes to this awesome show get me down. They are still the same ponies, this is still the same show, just changed up a bit!:)

(I just hope they at least make Twilight a Unicorn, though...:please:)

;tldr, I will always love MLP no matter what, and I'd rather them continue the show with a new generation than run out of ideas and end up messing the show up. I put my faith in the crew to make MLP even better!

Sorry about the long post.:please:

Edited by Rhythm Red
  • Brohoof 1

21 hours ago, Karnak said:

True, very true. And as seen in the first half of season 8, more lose ends get tied up.

Hide contents

.And finally Spike will hopefully get an answer to his parents in " Father knows Beast"

About Spike

Spoiler

I Better be prepared to declared the fan fiction I was going to write about Spike's parents be Alternative Universe

• 3 weeks later...

I need to do a mind/heart dump here.

Consider the following:

There are a lot of people depending on Hasbro and DMX doing the right thing - 

At the last PonyCon I was speaking to the rep from Enterplay.  Hasbro is very much aware of the market force that the Bronies comprise, the most valuable part of that force is that we market the brand.  Hasbro doesn't have to do much - we do it for them with word of mouth - the most powerful and sought after advertising on the planet. That's why there are quality licensees - they know the market will support their products and margins. Other key factors to consider for Gen 5: Hasbro's imminent purchase of Mattel, and Toys-R-Us in chapter 11.  Will the government allow the merger?  There is a chance they will since the traditional toy market has suffered at the hands of electronic games. This means that Mattel isn't Hasbro's rival, Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft are. Hasbro took the Disney brand from Mattel as well, which makes the takeover attractive.

"What does this have to do with season 5?"  I hear you cry.  It gives Hasbro incredible clout but it also opens up a larger slice of the market which they need to explore with MLP, hence the possible changes.  Also one of the rumors is they'll be getting away from Flash animation and over to Toon Boom. Once our girls get ported to a digital  environment it will allow them to enter that realm exactly as they will appear on the series, from muzzle to tail. It won't be an approximation, which is something that studios HATE.  I worked in Disney licensing and publishing for 14 years - I know from character design. Once in the digital realm game developers can extend the brand to more than building businesses in Ponyville. Our girls can have actual adventures.  Would you buy that game?  Damn right you would! How about a Skylanders type game?  Or Amibo? A far easier transformation. Pretty exciting huh?

As far as T-R-U, they'll always be brick and mortar but it will be in larger markets. It broke my heart to watch the Times Square TRU close. I well remember going up to the 3rd floor to buy Pony figures for my "daughters friends birthday."  Only at first.  By the time Starlight came out I was chatting up the cashier about how much I loved the show and how she should watch it. 

Finally, as an earlier poster said, the characters are reaching the end of their arcs.  Rarity has her chain of restaurants, the Apples have met their grandfather (a former Starship captain no less!!) in perhaps one of the most poignant animated TV episode ever. It was not overplayed, which is what made it so wonderful.Flutters has her sanctuary, Twi is a princess and has graduated her first student. Dash is a Wonderbolt, the Crusaders have their marks, Pinkie was already self actualized.  Could there be more?  Sure, but maybe they'll address it all in season 9.  

How do I feel about it?  I'm breathing into a paper bag. But seriously, I'm utterly heartbroken. It's like finding out someof your dearest friends are moving away. I love these ponies.  I am terrified that they will make them "hip." These ponies have gotten me through some very very rough health issues which I still battle, by making be believe in hope.  And things have happened for me that justified the hope they gave me. And all you you. I take for granted this amazing community the positive feelings I get from the con's. You have all helped me without knowing it and I thank you.

Who will these new ponies be?  Will we still hear Tara, Ashleigh, Tabitha, Cathy, Andrea, Nicole, PETER, etc.? I can't imagine the ponies without those voices. In the meantime I'm going to reach out and see if I can find out what's going on.  Whatever I find I'll share. 

Best to you all-

• Brohoof 1

I'm okay with the new gen, styles and such, but the only thing that really saddens me is that it seems we will loose the old voice actors for fresh new ones.
I think it would be very difficult to adapt to the new voices more than the new design. An example is the movie who has that strange new look from toonboom, but the voices are still those. even Equestria girls was super weird at first, but still, the VA where there to help us during the strange approach.

I hope that the new VA will at least follow the old type of voices, but to me only Tabitha was able to say "Darling" in her own way.

• Brohoof 1

20 minutes ago, ggg-2 said:

I'm just wondering why they're starting G5 so soon after. After what's happened in G4 over the years, good god, give people room to breathe.

Probably to keep interest. Also because 2020 is 10th anniversary since the new MLP started, so is a smart move to launch a new Genertion during that period.

I haven't really thought that much about generation five as the current generation is still happening, but what I can say is that I will definitely give the next generation a chance despite there being little information about it--barring what was leaked of course.

I am rather excited for it, actually, not because G4 doesn't mean a lot to me, but precisely because it means so much for me. I want its legacy to continue in some form after its conclusion, i want to continue being a part of the community surrounding it, but i also don't want G4 to run itself into the ground like so many other shows did. And as such the best way for that to happen is for there to be a reboot. After all: why are Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Batman, for example, such massive names in animation, if not because they lended themselves to new incarnations? Why, G4 itself would have not existed if MLP had not recieved a reboot after G3. This reboot has the chance to be the beginning of something truly great, something that will cement the franchise in animation history and ensure that others will share the same experiences that we are sharing now.

Besides, i can see the soul of G4 being carried on by G5, the fact that it will be aimed at an older audience is proof of that: when Lauren Faust first came up with the idea for Friendship Is Magic, she wanted to create something that all could enjoy regardless of its target demographic, and it's clear as day that she was successful, i have high hopes that this idea will carry on into G5.

• Brohoof 1

23 hours ago, GreenGreenWhirlWind said:

I am rather excited for it, actually, not because G4 doesn't mean a lot to me, but precisely because it means so much for me. I want its legacy to continue in some form after its conclusion, i want to continue being a part of the community surrounding it, but i also don't want G4 to run itself into the ground like so many other shows did. And as such the best way for that to happen is for there to be a reboot. After all: why are Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Batman, for example, such massive names in animation, if not because they lended themselves to new incarnations? Why, G4 itself would have not existed if MLP had not recieved a reboot after G3. This reboot has the chance to be the beginning of something truly great, something that will cement the franchise in animation history and ensure that others will share the same experiences that we are sharing now.

Besides, i can see the soul of G4 being carried on by G5, the fact that it will be aimed at an older audience is proof of that: when Lauren Faust first came up with the idea for Friendship Is Magic, she wanted to create something that all could enjoy regardless of its target demographic, and it's clear as day that she was successful, i have high hopes that this idea will carry on into G5.

I agree with you. Its time to grow.

• Brohoof 2

23 hours ago, GreenGreenWhirlWind said:

Well said. I'm not super EXCITED for it, but I've come to terms with it. I'm sure G5 will be great, if not better.

• Brohoof 2

On 2/1/2018 at 2:59 PM, Rhythm Red said:

Well said. I'm not super EXCITED for it, but I've come to terms with it. I'm sure G5 will be great, if not better.

I agree! Hopefully they make it more gender neutral so anti bronies will soon have nothing to mock other than saying "uhh, it sucks?" Adding a theme song that's upbeat but isn't the MLP theme song, then it's looking great.

• Brohoof 2

On 7-1-2018 at 5:15 AM, Kings&Hooves14 said:

If I were you, I should give it atleast a try. The characters are also being around in G5, but maybe a different personallity. That doesn't mean it will not be good personallities. 

:)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         :)

Edited by Hierok
  • Brohoof 2

12 hours ago, Karnak said:

I agree! Hopefully they make it more gender neutral so anti bronies will soon have nothing to mock other than saying "uhh, it sucks?" Adding a theme song that's upbeat but isn't the MLP theme song, then it's looking great.

I don't think they should go overboard with making it super gender neutral, since that may change the vibe of show, but I agree that a little bit of change could be nice. A new theme song is definitely in order, as the current one is honestly the girliest part of the show. 

I have high hopes. And if they are aiming for a higher-age target audience, as the leaks say, then my hopes are even higher. FiM was super successful because it was made so it could be enjoyed by people of all ages. If G5 seeks to do the same, and has the same writers (which I heard was true), then I can GUARENTEE it will be awesome.

My only real worry is that G5 would divide the fandom, but that isn't gonna happen. We've been through worse.:)