Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do most bronies have bad hygiene, are socially awkward and are quirky?

PhantomInfinite

Any possible fandom that could have the label of 'nerdy' has this label thrown at it because apparently a way to make yourself feel better about yourself is to stereotype an entire fanbase. So, I take it with a grain of salt. I will say that I am socially awkward out the wazoo. I have anxiety problems and that in turn affects nearly all social aspects of my life. I am also autistic so...there's that too. Of course if I was saying this to an idiot that just wants to hate the fandom, they would use my own problems as a blanket scenario to the entire fandom. It's sad, but people are dumb.

• Brohoof 4

I am socially awkward and quirky. I'll be the first to admit it.  I miss out on non-verbal cues, draw blanks on what to say next, get nervous/overtly excited when talking with a group, and stutter/stumble over my words. A champion of verbal jousting I am not. 

Which is why I do all my best talking on here.

Hygiene wise? Well I wear deodorant every day. I'm a compulsive hand washer. I brush my teeth three times a day. And I'm gonna be taking my shower shortly. 

So, not a full set, but there maybe something to the stereotype, and I think it's due to the more open and accepting nature of the show, giving social outliers something to connect with and a place to shine. 

I don't know about most, but as with every fandom there'll be a number of people who fit that description, yeah. I'm not really sure what 'quirky' is supposed to mean in this case, though.

On 22/01/2018 at 4:37 AM, PhantomInfinite said:

I was wondering, I hear people say this sometimes. Is it true?

The cliche of bronies is : male, fat, gross with bad hygiene, autistic and awkward and weird and etc etc etc all those bullshit !

But honestly, I feel like a lot of us are normal people, I have friends, I wash everyday, I'm not fat I do sport I'm not a weirdo or anything...

This is only cliché made up by haters or I don't know who. Maybe there is a bit of truth in that, but that's not 100% >_>

• Brohoof 1

On 1/21/2018 at 11:34 PM, Jeric said:

Note: I made cookies so I smell like vanilla right now. Just saying. 

That's what I smell like most of the time. Les question: depends on the individual. 

• Brohoof 1

Well I have socail anxiety so awkward? Yeah.

As for bad hygiene, I am a borderline germaphobe so this results in me washing my hands more than most people. I also bathe regularly and wear deodorant so nope, I Don't fit that stereotype. As for quirky I am not sure on that.

• Brohoof 1

I've met some disingenuous persons under such label, as to use the morals of the show to cover up for bigger personal complexes and deep-rooted insecurities.

Then again, I don't usually go around smelling other people. It's not like I'm condemning such practice, sniff to your leisure!

As for the quirky part, well, I consider every single human being in existence as a quirk on its own, including myself.

I suppose the stereotype exists because there's some truth to it.

Personally? I like to consider myself a strong average of hygiene, and while my social skills do seem crude, I can get by.

I think that it's just easier to remember the rather extreme examples of behavior, factoring out the benign one's.

• Brohoof 1

its the nerd stereotyping. Because nerds sit at computers, eat snacks and watch screens all day or hide in dark basements playing board games or comparing comics etc. That old 1980s thinking, which is still common today. But the fact is the opposite really in majority.

Though personally I have met people who tick each box; bad hygiene... yes sadly..... socially awkward...... very much so, majority ive met have been...... and quirky......myself. But I think Denz and I are more standard normal (no one is normal really) than most bronies we've met. We're kinda cool casual nerds. I love to cosplay and we both wear themed tshirts when at cons or meets, but we dont go out of our way to be as obnoxious as most others about being a brony. Ive been going subtle when out and about. Keychains of patches on my bag, the more subtle tshirt deisgns, jewelery, etc.

Out of the 3 mentioned, I think im just more quirky. Im not socially awkward, kinda grew out of it, and the only time I could say ive ever had bad hygiene at brony events is due to singing, running around or just from standing up all day at my stall. I always have a can of deoderant in my bag for this reason. I overheat easily and just sweat. So apolgies to those who ever meet me and im just melting. ^^;

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

That stereotype exists pretty much everywhere. I sometimes feel the same way about sports fans, sitting on a sofa loudly shouting like incoherent morons at a television while drizzling cheese and a week's worth of fat down their morbidly obese inebriated gullets. 

The reality is that these types of obsessed people exist in just about every hobby and identifiable group; some more than others. I've only met one other brony in person and they were very clean, polite and a good friend. 

I shower every day

I am fine superficially socially, but most people don't try to get beyond that; sometimes a nice barmaid or a friendly local will, and I know I am more awkward then but also more appreciative

Quirky? Well my age and where I live, having any interest in MLP would be a quirk!

I blame the internet. A lot of people view bronies, furries, anime fans, etc. as odd individuals because they have probably read or watched something online displaying them fitting stereotypes. Therefore, assuming all are like that. It's unfortunate that we cannot convince everyone that not everyone in fandoms are creepy, unhygenic, and lonely.

Bad hygiene, social awkwardness and quirkiness are not exclusive traits of Bronies any more than they are for anyone else. Dedicated fans of popular media tend to get labelled with the often inaccurate nerdy stereotype, but it's nothing more than that. I've seen people in every walk of life with the exact same traits and it has nothing to do with their personal interests. It's just a general misconception and doesn't apply in any specific way to Bronies.

• 1 year later...

I'm a bit quirky, I'm not really socially awkward, well maybe for the first minute I meet someone then I loosen up right away! As for personal hygiene I usually scrub myself till my skins raw and then use deodorant and cologne out of respect for others around me. 

• Brohoof 1