Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Linux Thread

I_wesley125

Do you Dual boot with windows? or is is linux only?

I dual boot, but the Windows 7 on my computer stopped working correctly and Im thinking of putting it out of it's misery (Hard for me, Since I seem to feel like computers and OS's have feelings). I can't figure out how to fix it and I never use it (linux mint is all I use)

Should I try to save it (this sound dumb, but humor me)?

if you do not use windows then of course you should get rid of it, its precious hard disk space

thats not even being used, reclaim your hard disk space to linux mint.

Actually, I was wondering what the linux swap partition is for. I'm afraid to touch it in case it's really important

The Swap Space works with the RAM. It's pretty much a cache to help free up space when it needs it.

(edited)

if you do not use windows then of course you should get rid of it, its precious hard disk space

thats not even being used, reclaim your hard disk space to linux mint.

Thanks,

The Swap Space works with the RAM. It's pretty much a cache to help free up space when it needs it.

Bigger the Better?

Edited by Anony-Brony

Yeah. It's dead weight on my HDD

Actually, I was wondering what the linux swap partition is for. I'm afraid to touch it in case it's really important

a Linux Swap partition is used for virtual memory (paging), its extra space that can be used if you were running low

on memory (RAM) you should always have around the same as your RAM (some even say double, but i don't think its a necessity for me for example to have 8GB of swap, that's way too much) swap is actually needed for some system processes at start up phase,

you shouldn't rely on swap though, its much slower then physical memory.

check this out: https://www.linux.com/news/software/applications/8208-all-about-linux-swap-space

• Brohoof 2

a Linux Swap partition is used for virtual memory (paging), its extra space that can be used if you were running low

on memory (RAM) you should always have around the same as your RAM (some even say double, but i don't think its a necessity for me for example to have 8GB of swap, that's way too much) swap is actually needed for some system processes at start up phase,

you shouldn't rely on swap though, its much slower then physical memory.

check this out: https://www.linux.co...inux-swap-space

is 6 gb of swap is good (3gb ram)?

How do I adjust this, my partition editor just says my whole HDD Unallocated, which is kinda wierd

(edited)

is 6 gb of swap is good (3gb ram)?

How do I adjust this, my partition editor just says my whole HDD Unallocated, which is kinda wierd

6gb is fine, if you have the space, and don't think its unnecessary go for it,

unallocated? what hard disk manager are you talking about? gparted?

make sure you are looking at the correct device.

if you want to modify partitions they need to unmounted first, you would also need

to swapoff the swap partiton if you wanted to change it.

Edited by superponylinux
  • Brohoof 1

6gb is fine, if you have the space, and don't think its unnecessary go for it,

unallocated? what hard disk manager are you talking about? gparted?

make sure you are looking at the correct device.

if you want to modify partitions they need to unmounted first, you would also need

to swapoff the swap partiton if you wanted to change it.

Gparted, It normally works fine, but this wierd

and yes, it is looking at the right device

For anyone feeling risky:

[media=]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_pgnMWgd34[/media]

oh god, it rm -rf's everything if you type anything wrong O_o...

wonder if it works any more since most distros automatically have a --preserve-root

option whenever you use rm, so you cannot delete everything by accident.

Gparted, It normally works fine, but this wierd

and yes, it is looking at the right device

hmm that's interesting can I see a screenshot?

looks like someone made something that might fix the problem:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/fixparts/

wonder if it works any more since most distros automatically have a --preserve-root

I don't know. I might have to try that in a VM.

hmm that's interesting can I see a screenshot?

looks like someone made something that might fix the problem:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/fixparts/

http://ubuntuone.com/5Hv1utEpaJMoVydDltFPxJ

The forums wont let me put pictures on (always says they don't accept the file extention) so heres the link to it on ubuntu one

My computer works fine, though

When I click it, it says the warning thing is about overlapping partitions

http://ubuntuone.com...paJMoVydDltFPxJ

The forums wont let me put pictures on (always says they don't accept the file extention) so heres the link to it on ubuntu one

My computer works fine, though

When I click it, it says the warning thing is about overlapping partitions

i would try the FixParts tool, it should fix the problem. seems like several have had a overlapping partiton

problem,

http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=70939.0

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1560005

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1879703

(edited)

you got it fixed?

not yet, i'll do it later.

Rainbowdash laziness

you got it fixed?

Actaully, I took a look at the instructions, but the still seem a bit complicated

I'm Kinda confused

Edited by Anony-Brony

(edited)

not yet, i'll do it later.

Rainbowdash laziness

Actaully, I took a look at the instructions, but the still seem a bit complicated

I'm Kinda confused

well first lets see your partiton table

try:

sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda
sudo sfdisk -d /dev/sda

the reason you have the problem, is most likely due to windows messing up your mbr to think

your linux partiton is primary when it is logical. using this tool it should be possible to fix it.

you could also reformat the entire disk and reinstall, but i dont think you want to so all that if

you already have a working system.

replace /dev/sda if you have a different device.

EDIT: this looks like it should help you: http://www.rodsbooks.com/missing-parts/

Edited by superponylinux

(edited)

well first lets see your partiton table

try:

sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda
sudo sfdisk -d /dev/sda

the reason you have the problem, is most likely due to windows messing up your mbr to think

your linux partiton is primary when it is logical. using this tool it should be possible to fix it.

you could also reformat the entire disk and reinstall, but i dont think you want to so all that if

you already have a working system.

replace /dev/sda if you have a different device.

EDIT: this looks like it should help you: http://www.rodsbooks.../missing-parts/

http://ubuntuone.com...TnhBPCUlB7t5yTr

partition table

you know, I could use parted magic, see how that works

I've used it before and liked it

OK everypony, im in parted magic

**clicks the partition editor (Gparted)**

hmm... same problem

I have to bite the bullet and figure out how to use fixparts

you got it fixed?

***Several hours and a dozen linux forum searches later***

DANGIT!!!

I still can't figure it out!!!

The fixparts doesn't seem to work (i might be using it wrong)

All these linux forums have completely different answers to fix it, all too complicated for my simple brain!

GAAAH!

Posted Image

this is how I feel, but more frustrated

SOMEPONY, HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Anony-Brony

So, I've been thinking about running a Linux OS along with my windows one.

Any recommendations and/or tips and tricks I need :3?

http://ubuntuone.com...TnhBPCUlB7t5yTr

partition table

you know, I could use parted magic, see how that works

I've used it before and liked it

OK everypony, im in parted magic

**clicks the partition editor (Gparted)**

hmm... same problem

I have to bite the bullet and figure out how to use fixparts

***Several hours and a dozen linux forum searches later***

DANGIT!!!

I still can't figure it out!!!

The fixparts doesn't seem to work (i might be using it wrong)

All these linux forums have completely different answers to fix it, all too complicated for my simple brain!

GAAAH!

Posted Image

this is how I feel, but more frustrated

SOMEPONY, HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok slow down, don't worry, this is fixable, first lets identify the problem here,

its going to be hard to fix anything if we don't know what is actually wrong.

first please run this command to get some more detailed info

sudo fdisk -lu /dev/sda
here i assume your hard drive is /dev/sda, if you dont include that part it will list all of the drives

attached to your system,

what happens with overlapping partition

is the start point/end point for one of the one partition is overlapping with another partition, gparted

sees this and refuses to show any output, even if you know it has valid partitions and works fine.

more here: http://www.rodsbooks.../missing-parts/

EDIT: i see your problem, sda4 and sda5 end at the same point

post-22-0-86112400-1337957672.png

so now first backup your partion table to another device (Like a flash drive, cd, dvd, etc, not your hard drive)

sudo sfdisk -d /dev/sda > parts.txt

now run fixparts

fixparts /dev/sda

in fix parts use the "p" command to view your partition table again

i belive you need to use the s command to sort the partitons into disk order.

fix parts should automatically make adjustments which can fix problems at that point.

show me the output of the p command in fixparts, don't save changes with w until we know

it will be fixed.

if worse comes to worse, then you could always reformat evreything (you said you didnt need windows anymore)

Do you know what distribution of Linux you plan to install? it all depends on your needs, if you never installed Linux before Ubuntu is a Fine start, its very easy to install, so are all the different versions of Ubuntu (and linux mint).

one tip is to just understand that things are VERY DIFFERENT in the Linux World, but don't worry, its not as hard as people say it might be, as for command line use, don't worry you don't need it for normal use, any commands to help out would be explained and you would only have to copy and paste, not actually remember them, there are gui's for just about anything now.

if you understand that Linux is different, then you wont try to match it to windows and complain that it doesn't work the same way, trust me its a common problem people have with linux, people expect it to be a windows clone, when it is not supposed to be at all.

Have a dual boot of windows/linux at first, try using Linux for more and more tasks as you get more

comfortable with it.

If you choose Ubuntu, they have a method of installing the system from within windows, like if it was

another windows program, this is called wubi http://www.ubuntu.co...ndows-installer, its great for people new to linux, its very safe and very easy to get rid of if you needed to.(you can just uninstall it like any other program.)

if you need any help I would be happy to do so :-)

ok slow down, don't worry, this is fixable, first lets identify the problem here,

sudo fdisk -lu /dev/sda
here i assume your hard drive is /dev/sda, if you dont include that part it will list all of the drives

attached to your system,

is the start point/end point for one of the one partition is overlapping with another partition, gparted

sees this and refuses to show any output, even if you know it has valid partitions and works fine.

so now first backup your partion table to another device (Like a flash drive, cd, dvd, etc, not your hard drive)

now run fixparts

fixparts /dev/sda

fix parts should automatically make adjustments which can fix problems at that point.

show me the output of the p command in fixparts, don't save changes with w until we know

it will be fixed.

if worse comes to worse, then you could always reformat evreything (you said you didnt need windows anymore)

Do you know what distribution of Linux you plan to install? it all depends on your needs, if you never installed Linux before Ubuntu is a Fine start, its very easy to install, so are all the different versions of Ubuntu (and linux mint).

one tip is to just understand that things are VERY DIFFERENT in the Linux World, but don't worry, its not as hard as people say it might be, as for command line use, don't worry you don't need it for normal use, any commands to help out would be explained and you would only have to copy and paste, not actually remember them, there are gui's for just about anything now.

if you understand that Linux is different, then you wont try to match it to windows and complain that it doesn't work the same way, trust me its a common problem people have with linux, people expect it to be a windows clone, when it is not supposed to be at all.

Have a dual boot of windows/linux at first, try using Linux for more and more tasks as you get more

comfortable with it.

If you choose Ubuntu, they have a method of installing the system from within windows, like if it was

another windows program, this is called wubi http://www.ubuntu.co...ndows-installer, its great for people new to linux, its very safe and very easy to get rid of if you needed to.(you can just uninstall it like any other program.)

if you need any help I would be happy to do so :-)

I know Linux is different from windows. That's why I'm willing to give it a go. And thanks for the tips ^^

Go ahead, but be warned, if you don't do it correctly, windows will try to kill the linux in some ways (look what it's done to me)

You you know what you're doing, and you really need windows, go ahead. just read documentation on how to do it safely

Go ahead, but be warned, if you don't do it correctly, windows will try to kill the linux in some ways (look what it's done to me)

You you know what you're doing, and you really need windows, go ahead. just read documentation on how to do it safely

If you're warning me about dual booting and all of that stuff then that's not a problem. But if you were talking about how some programs and apps on windows might drag me back to it then you might be right. However, I'm positive I'll find good use in Ubuntu. (might hold off until next year or after and build a rig specificly made for a linux OS)

(edited)

sudo fdisk -lu /dev/sda

attached to your system,

now run fixparts

fixparts /dev/sda

it will be fixed.

Thanks so much, you have made more sense than any one else on the Internets

Ok, here it the fixparts partition table

post-4621-0-30684000-1337966479_thumb.png

should I run s and save it?

EDIT whoops, my mous is infront of a number. it was 1

If you're warning me about dual booting and all of that stuff then that's not a problem. But if you were talking about how some programs and apps on windows might drag me back to it then you might be right. However, I'm positive I'll find good use in Ubuntu. (might hold off until next year or after and build a rig specificly made for a linux OS)

Well, ubuntu generally has a program equivilalent for every normal used windows app. if you REALLY need a windows app, see how it runs on wine

Edited by Anony-Brony

Thanks so much, you have made more sense than any one else on the Internets

Ok, here it the fixparts partition table

post-4621-0-30684000-1337966479_thumb.png

should I run s and save it?

EDIT whoops, my mous is infront of a number. it was 1

Well, ubuntu generally has a program equivilalent for every normal used windows app. if you REALLY need a windows app, see how it runs on wine

Hmmm.. Wine.. I've heard of that. Any records of being able to use Origin (for BF3), Steam (including games), FL Studio and Photoshop with it :D?