Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Linux Thread

I_wesley125

(edited)

I'd imagine something light like Open Box would be reasonably useable. Though that would require me to configure more things, but that's kind of the point (yay learning). That got me thinking... Tiny Core on the Raspberry Pi as it only needs 46 MB of RAM to be useable.

If only I had the know how to do it.

Just checked and Arch Linux ARM is using 15MB when idle, but that is without a graphical environment. If I were to use some kind of graphical environment, it would probably be dwm. Sadly, that isn't available for the ARM architecture in the Arch repository :(. Open Box is an option, the default one with the Debian distro is LXDE and that isn't too bad. Open Box might be better.

If Tinycore has a release for ARM then I might try it.

Edited by Aigaion

Just checked and Arch Linux ARM is using 15MB when idle, but that is without a graphical environment. If I were to use some kind of graphical environment, it would probably be dwm. Sadly, that isn't available for the ARM architecture in the Arch repository :(. Open Box is an option, the default one with the Debian distro is LXDE and that isn't too bad. Open Box might be better.

If Tinycore has a release for ARM then I might try it.

They don't. Its x86 (x64 maybe?) only. Still it would have been awesome as the overall system requirements for a full GUI Tiny Core install are well within hardware specs of a pi. I did consider dwm as it would be the most lightweight of all (and it came up googling awesome window manager arm) but I don't know C (or really any programming language) so customizing it goes right out the window. Even awesome would be more of an experiment than a main WM (as the only other use for lua I can think of is Garry's Mod). So that leaves Openbox as the most lightweight window manager I know how to use and the easiest to learn how to customize.

It somehow feels wrong that I'm posting in this thread from Windows: I've got a triple boot configured. Windows 7 for most of my games and Steam library, a very small Windows XP partition for some much older stuff that won't run on Windows 7 (or not well), and Linux for everything else that isn't gaming related, unless it's a game that I can get to run efficiently under Wine.

You know, the whole GNU/Linux thing is interesting and a good thing for people to learn in order for them to understand the spirit of things and how some designs by Microsoft and Apple really originated. When it comes to people's common vernacular and discussions about the operating system, it should just be called Linux. I love Ubuntu, Debian, and all their derivitives, but when talking to people online within the Debian community I've frequently been accosted by people and seen it happen to others, that whenever I or somebody else simply says "Linux" another person feels the need to correct us and say it's "GNU/Linux," and tactfully or otherwise tell us to start calling it that. As I said, it's technically correct and a good thing to know for the sake of understanding history, but when it comes to plain conversation it's just terribly irritating.

Any thoughts on Ubuntu vs. Mint?

I'm one of the many who don't care for Gnome Shell/Unity, but to each his own. It's amazing the amount of fighting I've seen over it. My only complaint about Gnome 3 is the fact that it's Gnome. It shouldn't be. It's not Gnome in any way. What we have now should have been a fork of the Gnome project or something new altogether, rather than replacing Linux's most popular desktop environment. So my only complaint with Ubuntu really has nothing to do with Ubuntu. With the destruction of Gnome I started exploring a bit. I was already familiar with XFCE and LXDE but saw this as an opportunity to try out KDE. I fell in love with it.

I like what the Mint team has done with Cinnamon. It's polished and easy for anybody to use, and it's easy to theme. The "Mint Menu" has been brought over from Gnome, something else I really love about Mint. Mate is also very good and a worthy replacement for Gnome 2. There are still some customization problems I don't like, especially related to Compiz, but nothing I couldn't live with. I think the Mint updater and software center are both more intuitive and useful than the Ubuntu counterpart, but it's really just a matter of personal preference. Both are excellent distros.

What I really love about Ubuntu, Mint, and Debian - which are all the same at the core, as Ubuntu is built on Debian and Mint is built on Ubuntu, with the exception of Mint's Debian Edition - is their simplicity. When I was new to Linux the impression I got from some vets (read: elitists) was that you aren't a "power user" unless you use a distro that frustrates you and most others. That's stupid. The aforementioned three are great because they simply get out of your way. Their package manager is very simple to use, they ship with almost everything anybody would need with much more in their repositories, and a large enough user base that help is always available. Some might have needs or desires beyond those simple things but it's designed in such a way that the noobiest of noobs can jump right in and experienced users can also find plenty to work with.

Anyway, I'm using Kubuntu on my netbook right now; I really don't like unity, it runs slowly on my puny little netbook.

I'm surprised KDE is doing much better. In fact, I would think Unity would slightly outperform KDE on a netbook. Given the small size of... well, everything on a netbook, perhaps a tiling window manager would be better than a stacking one. DWM is easier to install than many others, is fairly extensible, and still supports mouse usage. Thinking about putting that on my laptop as well because I tend to eschew the trackpad when a mouse isn't available.

• Brohoof 4

Well, tried DD-WRT on an old router today. Now onto OpenWRT trying to get it to bridge my downstairs wi-fi.

Reason being, the Arch CD has no drivers for Broadcom wi-fi. :(

(edited)

Well, tried DD-WRT on an old router today. Now onto OpenWRT trying to get it to bridge my downstairs wi-fi.

Reason being, the Arch CD has no drivers for Broadcom wi-fi. :(

I hate it when that happens :( (For the record, puppy works with all wifi cards out of the box :P )

I just installed Fedora on my computer (Love it) but the wifi didn't work out of the box :( in order to get the wifi to work, I needed to download the drivers with a ethernet connection (im on a laptop). I did find that the USB belkin wifi dongle, card things worked REALLY well, out of the box. Maybe that would be easier?

And do you think you can help me out and give me some info on DD-WRT and OpenWRT? It would be really useful for my eagle project :)

Also, does anypony here know how to install all the multimedia codecs onto a ofline computer? Is there a simple .deb file for that (this is for Lubuntu, offline installed)? how can I be sure to satisfy all the dependencies?

Edited by AnonyPoni

(edited)

I hate it when that happens :( (For the record, puppy works with all wifi cards out of the box :P )

I just installed Fedora on my computer (Love it) but the wifi didn't work out of the box :( in order to get the wifi to work, I needed to download the drivers with a ethernet connection (im on a laptop). I did find that the USB belkin wifi dongle, card things worked REALLY well, out of the box. Maybe that would be easier?

And do you think you can help me out and give me some info on DD-WRT and OpenWRT? It would be really useful for my eagle project :)

Also, does anypony here know how to install all the multimedia codecs onto a ofline computer? Is there a simple .deb file for that (this is for Lubuntu, offline installed)? how can I be sure to satisfy all the dependencies?

DD-WRT and OpenWRT require a compatible router. You basically download a .bin file for your router and then upload it like it's a firmware upgrade. I believe they're based off Linksys firmware due to a controversy a few years back over Linksys using GPL software in their firmware and making the firmware proprietary, so they licensed it under the GPL. It's installable on other routers though (I did it on a D-Link).

And I found a wireless usb dongle that works (a TP-LINK Wireless N 150Mbps one).

Edit: Thought I'd post my new Linux dedicated server's specs.

Here are the specs to the dedicated server I just bought:

Intel Pentium 4 CPU @ 3.00GHz

2GB DDR2 RAM

160GB IDE/SATA HDD

2TB bandwidth

100Mbps port

Edited by DeveloperPony

Made the full switch today, didn't want to dual boot openSUSE and Windows. But now that I think about it, I just might have to do this, unless they decide to port Steam to Linux :/

I didn't back up most files, so I'll have to download A LOT of stuff. I relied on torrents anyway, so it's not too bad.

But still... OMG OPEN SOURCE LOL ROW ROW FIGHT THA POWA

• Brohoof 3

They've gone and ruined the Arch installation procedure. They've done away with the installation framework altogether, and now you have to do everything manually. The tool to generate fstab doesn't properly account for the swap partition, and half the time I get an error stating that an archive is corrupt or something. I would make a setup script or something, but right now I'm considering switching to gentoo for all new installs.

They've gone and ruined the Arch installation procedure. They've done away with the installation framework altogether, and now you have to do everything manually. The tool to generate fstab doesn't properly account for the swap partition, and half the time I get an error stating that an archive is corrupt or something. I would make a setup script or something, but right now I'm considering switching to gentoo for all new installs.

I'm thinking about switching my distro's basis from Arch to Gentoo, if Gentoo had the ath9k_htc drivers for my wireless. >_>

Holy shit. I decided to install something from source, and it turned out that this required a shit load of libraries for it, so after thirty minutes of installing libraries, I finally got to

make

su -c make install

to realize that they had an .rpm for it available. At least I got to go hardcore with the terminal. :lol:

Holy shit. I decided to install something from source, and it turned out that this required a shit load of libraries for it, so after thirty minutes of installing libraries, I finally got to

make
su -c make install
to realize that they had an .rpm for it available. At least I got to go hardcore with the terminal. :lol:

Heh, done that a few times before. Unwind Linux RPM (yes I renamed it) will require alot of that when I start actual development. :P

• Brohoof 1

I found out that it's fun to use the Terminal just because I can. B) Especially with mpg123. Why use some user-friendly GUI system when you can just use a text only, knowledge-requiring prompt?

You sound exactly like me, i do all my operations i possibly can in the shell, i mean sure you have to learn how to use it, but it's so worth it afterward, everything gets done much faster and it makes you look smart too ;)

Edited by superponylinux
  • Brohoof 1

I found out that it's fun to use the Terminal just because I can. B) Especially with mpg123. Why use some user-friendly GUI system when you can just use a text only, knowledge-requiring prompt?

You sound exactly like me, i do all my basic operations in the shell, i mean sure you have to learn how to use it,

but it's so worth it afterward, everything gets done much faster and it makes you look smart too ;)

Bash scripting is brilliant too, it's so powerful yet simple. I made a script to configure a new Archlinux installation for my liking :3 and for everything else there's python.

• Brohoof 1

Bash scripting is brilliant too, it's so powerful yet simple. I made a script to configure a new Archlinux installation for my liking :3 and for everything else there's python.

Bash FTW, its such a time saver, and perfect for lazy people like me who hate having to manually do everything ;)

• Brohoof 1

I need some help. I'm setting up a Windows XP dual boot, and I have a Windows XP cd and a Rescatux cd prepared. But with partitioning the hard drive, I am lost.

I think in installing openSUSE I made a mistake, but you can check things out in a screencap.

post-2597-0-67256900-1343885036_thumb.png

How should I go about doing this, so I have room for XP?

I need some help. I'm setting up a Windows XP dual boot, and I have a Windows XP cd and a Rescatux cd prepared. But with partitioning the hard drive, I am lost.

I think in installing openSUSE I made a mistake, but you can check things out in a screencap.

post-2597-0-67256900-1343885036_thumb.png

How should I go about doing this, so I have room for XP?

I believe what you need to do is resize /dev/sda7 and have the free space behind it(after the end point of sda7), then make a new sda8 and format that to a NTFS for Windows XP.

watch out if you install windows after Linux, it overwrites the MBR so you will need to boot a livecd to

fix grub to get your Linux boot entries back.

this should help you:

http://en.opensuse.o...Windows_install

http://forums.opensu...rub-yast-2.html

Edited by superponylinux
  • Brohoof 1

I believe what you need to do is resize /dev/sda7 and have the free space behind it(after the end point of sda7), then make a new sda8 and format that to a NTFS for Windows XP.

watch out if you install windows after Linux, it overwrites the MBR so you will need to boot a livecd to

fix grub to get your Linux boot entries back.

this should help you:

http://en.opensuse.o...Windows_install

http://forums.opensu...rub-yast-2.html

...O.o people still use Linux?...Also all the above I did not understand any of it, what does it all mean? What was Djenty's problem? and What was SPL's solution?

...O.o people still use Linux?

It's usage share is actually increasing with the onset of distributions like Ubuntu.

Posted Image

Here's a pic of that script I made to automate arch installs, at the moment all the settings are hard-coded but I'm thinking about making it more customizable in the future if I need it to be ^_^

• Brohoof 1

...O.o people still use Linux?...Also all the above I did not understand any of it, what does it all mean? What was Djenty's problem? and What was SPL's solution?

Yes people still use Linux, Feld0 uses it for this Site ;), anyway the solution is to resize a partition (that's what /dev/sda7 is, a portion of space on the hard drive) the remaining free space is after the endpoint (so it would not conflict with his other partitions already there), Djenty's problem was he was unsure how to make free space so he could dual boot Windows XP with OpenSUSE, his picture showed his partition table, where his partitions are located and how much disk space they use. I also warned to be careful since if you install Windows after Linux, Windows will shadow the Linux boot loader (GRUB) and will need to be repaired to be able to boot Linux again.

Yes people still use Linux, Feld0 uses it for this Site ;), anyway the solution is to resize a partition (that's what /dev/sda7 is, a portion of space on the hard drive) the remaining free space is after the endpoint (so it would not conflict with his other partitions already there), Djenty's problem was he was unsure how to make free space so he could dual boot Windows XP with OpenSUSE, his picture showed his partition table, where his partitions are located and how much disk space they use. I also warned to be careful since if you install Windows after Linux, Windows will shadow the Linux boot loader (GRUB) and will need to be repaired to be able to boot Linux again.

O.o ok, to tell you the absolute truth, I only understood about 60% of that entire post explaining what just happened...

O.o ok, to tell you the absolute truth, I only understood about 60% of that entire post explaining what just happened...

I'm sorry if i sounded too technical, basically he wants to install Windows XP,

but he needs to make space for it, one of his Linux Installs (on the partition of his hard drive) takes up the rest of the space, so i explained how to resize it to make room for Windows, i also said to be careful so Windows doesn’t prevent Linux from being booted after it is Installed afterwards.

Edited by superponylinux
  • Brohoof 1

I'm sorry if i sounded too technical, basically he wants to install Windows XP,

but he needs to make space for it, one of his Linux Installs (on the partition of his hard drive) takes up the rest of the space, so i explained how to resize it to make room for Windows, i also said to be careful so Windows doesn’t prevent Linux from being booted after it is Installed afterwards.

ok, ty for the explanation, I can usually understand most other techy stuff but not always...(darn not at minimum, yet) oh...now I am.