Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Linux Thread

I_wesley125

(edited)

hmm, could you run this command for me, and post its output.

xrandr

lets see what the max resolution the system is reading in, then we can try adding

a extra one.

try this: http://www.ubuntugee....html#more-3469

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 3360 x 1119, maximum 3360 x 1920
DFP1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DFP2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DFP3 connected 1920x1080+0+39 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 477mm x 268mm
   1680x1050	  50.0 +   60.0
   1920x1080	  60.0*+   50.0	 59.9
   1776x1000	  50.0	 59.9
   1400x1050	  50.0	 60.0
   1600x900	   50.0	 60.0
   1360x1024	  50.0	 60.0
   1280x1024	  50.0	 75.0	 60.0
   1440x900	   50.0	 59.9
   1280x960	   50.0	 75.0	 60.0
   1280x800	   50.0	 59.8
   1152x864	   50.0	 59.9	 75.0
   1280x768	   50.0	 59.8
   1280x720	   60.0	 50.0	 59.9
   1024x768	   50.0	 75.0	 70.1	 60.0
   1152x648	   50.0	 59.9
   800x600		50.0	 72.2	 75.0	 60.3	 56.2
   720x576		59.9	 50.0
   720x480		50.0	 60.0	 59.9
   640x480		50.0	 75.0	 72.8	 67.0	 59.9
DFP4 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DFP5 connected 1680x1050+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 433mm x 270mm
   1680x1050	  60.0*+
   1400x1050	  60.0
   1600x900	   60.0
   1360x1024	  60.0
   1280x1024	  75.0	 60.0
   1440x900	   60.0
   1280x960	   75.0	 60.0
   1280x800	   75.0	 60.0
   1152x864	   60.0	 75.0
   1280x768	   75.0	 60.0
   1280x720	   75.0	 60.0
   1024x768	   75.0	 60.0
   800x600		75.0	 60.3
   640x480		75.0	 59.9
CRT1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
I also get this message on boot:

requested position/size for CRTC 148 is outside the allowed limit: position=(1920, 0), size=(1680, 1050), maximum=(3360, 1920)
Edited by I_wesley125

hmm. other people who get that kind of message are having problems setting up dual monitors..

are you sure your monitor settings are ok for the 1080 monitor? its possible something isn't working

right when you switch from your 1620x1050 to the 1080, try changing a aspect ratio,

we could also try adding or changing a virtual size, to your xorg.conf file.

check these links out: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1855750,

http://askubuntu.com/questions/71457/how-can-i-set-up-dual-monitor-display-with-ati-driver

make sure the settings on the physical monitor is alright too, maybe you can adjust the position

or even auto adjust it for you.

• Brohoof 1

hmm. other people who get that kind of message are having problems setting up dual monitors..

are you sure your monitor settings are ok for the 1080 monitor? its possible something isn't working

right when you switch from your 1620x1050 to the 1080, try changing a aspect ratio,

we could also try adding or changing a virtual size, to your xorg.conf file.

check these links out: http://ubuntuforums....d.php?t=1855750,

http://askubuntu.com...with-ati-driver

make sure the settings on the physical monitor is alright too, maybe you can adjust the position

or even auto adjust it for you.

The monitor settings are fine in Windows so it's not that.

Hey, ponies! I just installed Mint 13. I was wrong when I said that is would be the same as Mint 12. The new DE is amazing! Cinimmin is so cool. I works so well. I would definatly recomend it!

• 2 weeks later...

Guess what everypony? My Eagle Project Beneficiary APPROVED the Linux computer lab project!!!!

Expect me to be back here for help on this subject!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :lol:

Guess what everypony? My Eagle Project Beneficiary APPROVED the Linux computer lab project!!!!

Expect me to be back here for help on this subject!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :lol:

My troop and the Council have approved it as well, so now it's official!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO(x3) :lol:

(yay my first question involving my Linux project!)

Ok, the beneficiary said among the many programs I will need to find linux equivalents for, I need am equal to Microsoft Publisher. I'm kinda stumped at finding one a good easy to use one. It needs to be easy to use over anything else. Anypony have Ideas?

PS i tried Scribdus, i but don't get it...

• Brohoof 3

Ok, I've just installed Ubuntu(12.04LTS) and got rid of Windows(at last). Now, I have a little problem I hope someone here could help me with.

My mouse sensitivity is way too high for me and I can't get it any smaller through the system options... I know there's some .conf file out there that could solve my problem. Anypony have any ideas?

(edited)

Ok, I've just installed Ubuntu(12.04LTS) and got rid of Windows(at last). Now, I have a little problem I hope someone here could help me with.

My mouse sensitivity is way too high for me and I can't get it any smaller through the system options... I know there's some .conf file out there that could solve my problem. Anypony have any ideas?

If system settings isnt doing any good, you can try editing the xorg.conf file,

this can found at /etc/X11/xorg.conf

you need to have root permissions to edit things in etc (unless you change the ownership)

so if you want to open this in gedit for example and be able to save you need to use

gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Make sure you back up this file before you edit it! if you mess up you can break your desktop,

so if things become broken you can restore it back

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak

then to restore you would do the reverse.

now for editing to affect the mouse speed try finding a Input Device Option in the file,

You Will find Something like this

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default

Identifier "Mouse0"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "auto"

Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"

Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"

Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

EndSection

try adding some options

Option "MinSpeed" "0.45"

Option "MaxSpeed" "0.75"

Option "AccelFactor" "0.020"

to the options lines, change the numbers, you going have to play with it,

when your done editing and save the file you need to restart the x-server

you can logout and back in to to your desktop, or preform the command in the terminal

sudo service lightdm restart

more here:

http://superuser.com...y-low-on-ubuntu

you need to have root permissions to edit things in etc (unless you change the ownership)

so if you want to open this in gedit for example and be able to save you need to use

Make sure you back up this file before you edit it! if you mess up you can break your desktop,

now for editing to affect the mouse speed try finding a Input Device Option in the file,

try adding some options

you can logout and back in to to your desktop, or preform the command in the terminal

more here:

Ok, the beneficiary said among the many programs I will need to find linux equivalents for, I need am equal to Microsoft Publisher. I'm kinda stumped at finding one a good easy to use one. It needs to be easy to use over anything else. Anypony have Ideas?

well try some alternative software sites...

http://www.osalt.com/

http://www.linuxalt.com/

http://alternativeto.net/

hmm...

http://alternativeto...?platform=linux

well have you tried reading the scribus documentation, i dont think its honeslty

too hard of a program to use, although i wouldnt say i am an expert at it...

Edited by superponylinux
  • Brohoof 2

try adding some options

more here:

well try some alternative software sites...

http://www.osalt.com/

http://www.linuxalt.com/

http://alternativeto.net/

hmm...

http://alternativeto...?platform=linux

well have you tried reading the scribus documentation, i dont think its honeslty

too hard of a program to use, although i wouldnt say i am an expert at it...

Thanks, got it worked out after some fumbling :3
  • Brohoof 1

No Problem ;)

(yay my first question involving my Linux project!)

PS i tried Scribdus, i but don't get it...

• 1 month later...

The best OS is the one that fits your needs, i have not tested PCLinuxOS but i have heard it is a very good

distribution. if you really want to know what PCLinuxOS is like download and burn the livecd (or use Unetbootin to make a live usb),

and boot from it and see what it is like. If you need any more help doing this don't be afraid to ask ;)

You can also test the distro using a virtual machine like VirtualBox or VMware, please note that when you run from a livecd it is a lot slower than an actual install, liveusb is closer in speed, you should be looking for how well your hardware is supported, and what kind of software you can install from it's package management system, read up on documentation if you have specific questions about the distro.

• Brohoof 1

Who here uses Linux?

I am a moderate Linux user. I am making a Linux distro at the moment, debating on whether to use Arch or Gentoo for a base. Which window manager should I use I wonder? Was thinking XFCE, but maybe not.

Who here uses Linux?

I am a moderate Linux user. I am making a Linux distro at the moment, debating on whether to use Arch or Gentoo for a base. Which window manager should I use I wonder? Was thinking XFCE, but maybe not.

Hiya DeveloperPony,

Just a little note here - we already have a ten-page thread devoted to all things Linux. I merged your new one into it. We have a number of Linux users here, including myself. :D

• Brohoof 1

Who here uses Linux?

I would recommend Arch, it has a awesome wiki which will help you a lot, as for the window manager XFCE

is fine if you like it, you can install as many window managers as you like and get rid of ones you don't so there is no wrong choice,

as long as it works for you its good.

I'm also looking into openSUSE, along with PCLinuxOS. I guess I'll just use UNetBootin to test them out. Now for both, I think I'm just gonna use KDE, as I've seen Gnome on Ubuntu, and I don't really like it's lack of customizable-ness compared KDE.

Linux is brilliant. If I weren't such an avid gamer I'd probably use it exclusively as opposed to Windows. Sadly, the Linux drivers for my card at the moment are quite unstable so I'm having to use noveau drivers, which are good for a lot of things, but gaming is not one of them. Also, many games still aren't compatible, even under WINE. I like what Valve is doing in relation to Linux though, but I really hope that the Steam client will not be Ubuntu-specific, because I don't really like Ubuntu. I'd much rather use Arch/Gentoo.

Also, anyone else got a Raspberry Pi?

Linux is brilliant. If I weren't such an avid gamer I'd probably use it exclusively as opposed to Windows. Sadly, the Linux drivers for my card at the moment are quite unstable so I'm having to use noveau drivers, which are good for a lot of things, but gaming is not one of them. Also, many games still aren't compatible, even under WINE. I like what Valve is doing in relation to Linux though, but I really hope that the Steam client will not be Ubuntu-specific, because I don't really like Ubuntu. I'd much rather use Arch/Gentoo.

Been meaning to get to do that, but Unwind has been a hassle. Arch changed the setup of the install media, delaying the release of Unwind.

Just got mine in the mail today. Hopefully this Saturday is gonna be full of aggravation, cursing, craploads of googling and some learning mixed in there. It would have been today had I remembered that I need an HDMI cable and an SD card I know the location of.

Just got mine in the mail today. Hopefully this Saturday is gonna be full of aggravation, cursing, craploads of googling and some learning mixed in there. It would have been today had I remembered that I need an HDMI cable and an SD card I know the location of.

I tried it with the desktop environment, but I found it too sluggish to be of any real use. Instead, I harvested an SD card from an old camera and put Arch Linux ARM on there. Now if I want to access it I can just ssh in over the network :P

Might try putting XBMC on there later and hooking up a HDMI cable, it could be really useful as a USB media center.

The Raspberry Pi looks pretty cool, one of these days ill pick one up. :)

i would love pulling it out of my pocket in front of friends, them asking what it is and i would

say its a computer XD.

I tried it with the desktop environment, but I found it too sluggish to be of any real use. Instead, I harvested an SD card from an old camera and put Arch Linux ARM on there. Now if I want to access it I can just ssh in over the network :P

Might try putting XBMC on there later and hooking up a HDMI cable, it could be really useful as a USB media center.

I'd imagine something light like Open Box would be reasonably useable. Though that would require me to configure more things, but that's kind of the point (yay learning). That got me thinking... Tiny Core on the Raspberry Pi as it only needs 46 MB of RAM to be useable.

What are the minimum requirements?

An absolute minimum of RAM is 46mb. TC won't boot with anything less, no matter how many terabytes of swap you have.

Microcore runs with 28mb of ram.

The minimum cpu is i486DX (486 with a math processor).

A recommended configuration:

Pentium 2 or better, 128mb of ram + some swap

If only I had the know how to do it.

Just ordered one :)

My eagle project is setting up a linux computer lab. It will go down on saturday. Wish me luck!

PS I need help with installing linux on REALLY old laptops. I'm talking dell c400's. I cant get it to boot correctly :(