Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Linux Thread

I_wesley125

Uh, well here's the thing. This is my family's home PC, and my dad technically owns the computer itself, so it's kinda... like... he's the one that did this. Yeah.

Oh... I know how that feels, just the opposite (dad likes windows)

I did some research and found Jokosher

http://www.jokosher.org/

I think this is what you're looking for... Linux style

It's probably not fancy, but you decide

Oh... I know how that feels, just the opposite (dad likes windows)

I did some research and found Jokosher

http://www.jokosher.org/

I think this is what you're looking for... Linux style

It's probably not fancy, but you decide

Thanks, but that's not quite what I was looking for. That looks to be another counterpart of Audacity. What I'm looking for is a DAW like FL Studio. Guess I'll just use Linux Multimedia Studio unless I find something else. I kinda decided to go on a hiatus from music anyways, so it's all a moot point. :P

Thanks for the help, though. :)

(edited)

Well, first off: Wine. I know how to download it and install it and stuff, but the problem is getting certain prgrams to work with it. For instance, the only program I use to make music, Mixcraft. I can also get THAT to install, but I can't seem to load the .EXE of it, even with Wine installed. Then there's Java. I don't know how to get that to install.

Ugh, anyways it's dinner time right now so I'll be back later.

You should be able to get Java working natively in Linux if you install it from the Ubuntu software centre.

And when trying to run exe files, make sure you're opening them with the Wine application launcher. If it still doesn't work check winehq.org to see if the software will run.

And keep an eye out for other software that you could use as a replacement if it doesn't work out.

Edited by Princess Mi Amore Cadenza

(edited)

You should be able to get Java working naively in Linux if you install it from the Ubuntu software centre.

And when trying to run exe files, make sure you're opening them with the Wine application launcher. If it still doesn't work check winehq.org to see if the software will run.

And keep an eye out for other software that you could use as a replacement if it doesn't work out.

Thanks, but that's not quite what I was looking for. That looks to be another counterpart of Audacity. What I'm looking for is a DAW like FL Studio. Guess I'll just use Linux Multimedia Studio unless I find something else. I kinda decided to go on a hiatus from music anyways, so it's all a moot point. :P

That reminds me, do you know about the software center?

Edited by Anony-Brony

That reminds me, do you know about the software center?

Yes. Yes I do.

You should be able to get Java working naively in Linux if you install it from the Ubuntu software centre.

Will do! :)

(edited)

I enjoy using Linux. I would use it more if I wasn't a PC gamer. Sorry but wine just doesn't cut it. However, now that my netbook has been released from spare computer duties, I can finally get around to doing an arch install.

In semi-related news, Linux Mint 13 is out now.

EDIT: Because no Linux thread is complete without some meager hardware running Linux.

Edited by A Blithering Div
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

I enjoy using Linux. I would use it more if I wasn't a PC gamer. Sorry but wine just doesn't cut it. However, now that my netbook has been released from spare computer duties, I can finally get around to doing an arch install.

I really like Arch. One thing about it is you want to be careful with you root partition. It can fill up quickly if you're not careful. If you want to go really hardcore, install Gentoo Linux using the minimum CD.

Edited by IvoryVinyl

I really like Arch. One thing about it is you want to be careful with you root partition. It can fill up quickly if you're not careful. If you want to go really hardcore, install Gentoo Linux using the minimum CD.

You know, I thought of that. But this is going on an Intel Atom netbook and I know that Gentoo installs require code compilation whereas arch doesn't (haven't done either thought, I know, its sad). Also, I usually don't partition cause I'm never sure how big to make my home partition and I couldn't really partition on this anyways. It has a 16 gig solid state. Not exactly large, but it gives me the illusion of speed. Ext2 FTW.

In semi-related news, Linux Mint 13 is out now.

EDIT: Because no Linux thread is complete without some meager hardware running Linux.

[media=]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm0POwEtiqE&list=FLgmnzy_3i2-4Lv_nvm3rJSA&index=34&feature=plpp_video[/media]

WOOO! LM13!

I will be honest, It probably is pretty much the same as LM12

BTW how is Arch? is it worth the complicated install?

Posted Image

I had to add this

Oh, I did a bit more research

I'm still not sure it this will help, I might not have even got the right program type

But anyway

http://alternativeto.net/software/fl-studio/?platform=linux

• Brohoof 1

WOOO! LM13!

I would say so actually. Everything you can imagine is on the Arch Wiki, and once you learn how to use the AUR, everything you would want to download is right there. It's crazy fast too. KDE on Arch was faster than My Unity setup here on my Ubuntu on the same computer.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I found my thread :-)

if anypony needs some Linux help i would be happy to help :-)

I actually plan on getting Linux certified, my dream career is to do something in the Linux field , possibly a sysadmin or help desk person, or maybe a support technician.

My distro of choice for desktop use is Ubuntu, simply because its easy to set up and use, I like that, I feel its how a desktop should be, for extreme customisation and power i love Arch Linux, i just got it set up not too long ago, its a blast, yes you have to do everything yourself but that is the point, its fun and you get to really learn how Linux works, and like IvoryVinyl mentioned everything is on the Arch Wiki anyway to get you started so you are not completely alone.

You probably could tell from my user name alone, that I am a Linux Geek. :P

Ummm...(brain working)... Ok!

Basically Linux was designed to be like UNIX, but it isn't a actual UNIX Derivative because

it isn't created from any UNIX Source Code, its its own system, it just follows UNIX Standards

and principals, hence its UNIX-Like.

In a usual Operating System The OS is split into two parts: Kernel Space and User Space,

Linux is a Monolithic System, That means Linux itself (a kernel) runs entirely in Kernel Space,

which is separate from User Space, or Userland (more about this here: http://en.wikipedia....ki/Kernel_space)

which is what GNU is part of. Linux is the System Part, it handles the communication between the

hardware and software, GNU is utilities and applications that handle the,

user part, what you actually work with on your level, your programs and applications. GNU/Linux is a name

that some prefer(like the Free Software Foundation) because it takes into account the user level (GNU) and not just the kernel (Linux), to referring to a Operating System that uses the Linux kernel, its actually a controversy that still continues to this day:

http://en.wikipedia....ing_controversy

Edited by superponylinux
  • Brohoof 4

I found my thread :-)

if anypony needs some Linux help i would be happy to help :-)

I actually plan on getting Linux certified, my dream career is to do something in the Linux field , possibly a sysadmin or help desk person, or maybe a support technician.

Thats cool.

i just talked to the benefactor for my eagle project, and they REALLY liked my idea for a linux computer lab! :)

Linux may be my path to the future as well

Thats cool.

i just talked to the benefactor for my eagle project, and they REALLY liked my idea for a linux computer lab! :)

Linux may be my path to the future as well

dude a Linux computer lab, the idea of that makes me...

post-22-0-73380600-1337878696.jpeg

well i guess i already have a mini Linux lab in both my room (3 computers run Linux)

and in my BOCES class (a ubuntu desktop, and a centos server).

• Brohoof 3

dude a Linux computer lab, the idea of that makes me...

post-22-0-73380600-1337878696.jpeg

well i guess i already have a mini Linux lab in both my room (3 computers run Linux)

and in my BOCES class (a ubuntu desktop, and a centos server).

Well, this is for an non profit organization, so free Linux sounds better than Windows you need to buy and support

Plus they computers they have on hand are really old

Well, this is for an non profit organization, so free Linux sounds better than Windows you need to buy and support

Plus they computers they have on hand are really old

Linux will work great for your project ;)

how old are we talking here? got an idea of what distro you want to use for the project?

If you really need windows software what you could do instead of wine and VM's is set up

a single windows system for a RDP server, then on Linux use FreeRDP and Remmina(http://remmina.sourceforge.net/)

to access the software of it, FreeRDP even has a seamless mode so the windows applications integrate right

into the Linux Environment. check out more here: http://www.freerdp.com/, downside of this is you need a windows license

and a pretty decent computer running the RDP server to handle the load.

WOOO! LM13!

Haven't done it yet, so I'm not at liberty to say.

Posted Image

Win.

How do I compile a source from the terminal?

There should be a read me in the tarball. Just follow that.

(edited)

How do I compile a source from the terminal?

depends on your code, many diffrent methods apply depending on how the software is written, check README.txt files and documenation for specfic help.

the standard method it to first run

./configure

then run make to compile the program

make

after its complied successfuly you then install it to the system

sudo make install

however for installing i reccomend a program called checkinstall for installing,

it allows you yo have a package for the program, and makes it easier to manage

in the future (like to uninstall it) if you have checkinstall instead of sudo make install use:

sudo checkinstall
Edited by superponylinux
  • Brohoof 1

Linux will work great for your project ;)

how old are we talking here? got an idea of what distro you want to use for the project?

If you really need windows software what you could do instead of wine and VM's is set up

a single windows system for a RDP server, then on Linux use FreeRDP and Remmina(http://remmina.sourceforge.net/)

to access the software of it, FreeRDP even has a seamless mode so the windows applications integrate right

into the Linux Environment. check out more here: http://www.freerdp.com/, downside of this is you need a windows license

and a pretty decent computer running the RDP server to handle the load.

Dell Celerons and Pentium 4's

Very similar to my first Linux mint computer, but i may need a simpler OS, since they might not have the at least 1-2 gigs of ram to run it.

However, An important show of leadership it to show scouts how to upgrade stuff like that, So I might have to buy better ram

And, no windows software isn't required, this is just normal use

BTW, can you use Linux with a windows server, i'm pretty sure you can

Dell Celerons and Pentium 4's

Very similar to my first Linux mint computer, but i may need a simpler OS, since they might not have the at least 1-2 gigs of ram to run it.

However, An important show of leadership it to show scouts how to upgrade stuff like that, So I might have to buy better ram

And, no windows software isn't required, this is just normal use

Well the Ubuntu system I have in my BOCES class has about 2gb of ram that runs pretty well.

I would recommend something like Linux Mint LXDE or Lubuntu, as they use a interface called LXDE which is really

lightweight and fast, even 128-256 MB Machines can handle it. they have all the same package utilities like Ubuntu/Linux Mint

so it would not be too different from what you are used to, just a different interface.

• Brohoof 1

depends on your code, many diffrent methods apply depending on how the software is written, check README.txt files and documenation for specfic help.

the standard method it to first run

./configure

then run make to compile the program

make

after its complied successfuly you then install it to the system

sudo make install

however for installing i reccomend a program called checkinstall for installing,

it allows you yo have a package for the program, and makes it easier to manage

in the future (like to uninstall it) if you have checkinstall instead of sudo make install use:

sudo check install
When I run ./configure it just says "No such file or directory."

(edited)

When I run ./configure it just says "No such file or directory."

then you need to read the documentation, your software doesn't have a

configure script or uses as different kind of method. or you are not in the correct

directory that needs to extracted (like from a tarball file like ".tar.gz")

look for install.txt, readme.txt, and of course the software's website it fit exists

may I ask, what are you trying to install?

Your software might already be compiled and have binaries, and in that case you just need

to run it, you could install it by copying its files to the correct directory, or adding its directory

to your PATH environment variable. then adding a menu launcher, so you could run it easier.

Edited by superponylinux

then you need to read the documentation, your software doesn't have a

configure script or uses as different kind of method. or you are not in the correct

directory that needs to extracted (like from a tarball file like ".tar.gz")

look for install.txt, readme.txt, and of course the software's website it fit exists

may I ask, what are you trying to install?

Your software might already be compiled and have binaries, and in that case you just need

to run it, you could install it by copying its files to the correct directory, or adding its directory

to your PATH environment variable. then adding a menu launcher, so you could run it easier.

Pulseaudio, I can't seem to find the binaries anywhere.

Do you have any other decent global equalizers (I tried EQ100Q and I just had a lot of trouble with it) or know of the binaries for this?

Well the Ubuntu system I have in my BOCES class has about 2gb of ram that runs pretty well.

I would recommend something like Linux Mint LXDE or Lubuntu, as they use a interface called LXDE which is really

lightweight and fast, even 128-256 MB Machines can handle it. they have all the same package utilities like Ubuntu/Linux Mint

so it would not be too different from what you are used to, just a different interface.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking, Gnome 3 and unity are probably bad ideas.

Plus LXDE looks similar to windows, so they wont be scared by it