Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Season 7 vs Season 8!

Drunkfrank

So, season 8 is upon us and it has been pretty good so far! I thought I would make this thread as a continuous stream of "episode vs episode thoughts" throughout season 8 and see how it compares to the previous season, I would like you all to join me in that. 

School Daze vs Celestial Advice/All Bottled Up: I think School Daze takes the cake here, it was a joint episode which I think is better to open a season with and it actually set something up for the rest of the season, with good new characters and great new animation. Point S8

The Maud Couple VS A Flurry of Emotions: I think this one is a genuine tie, both do what they wanted quite well, both have good humor and good pacing. So yeah, no points there.

Current Points:
Season 8: 1
 Season 7: 0

Will update the thread as time goes on and new episodes are released, I ask that no leaks are brought in here until the fully finished episodes are out.

• Brohoof 1

I personally prefered the two episodes that opened Season 7, mainly because I love Starlight so much. She had great moments in School Daze though, and School Daze was a proper premier, but since the first two offered a lot more character development for my favourite pony I have to give the point to Season 7 there.

I also quite enjoyed The Maud Couple because it had great Maud moments, a new character, more Starlight, the return of Limestone and Marble and a good sense of humour. It also reassured me that they're going to handle the whole school thing well and not have it take up every episode.  I don't remember much about A Flurry of Emotions but I do remember it having good moments and that I enjoyed it overall. I'm going to give the point to Season 8 here. 

• Brohoof 1

Happy to join. ^^

Celestial Advice/All Bottled Up vs. School Daze: On its own, School Daze is better than CA. But when combined, CA/ABU tops it. School Daze started off really poorly with a rushed decision by Twilight to open a school without any planning and forethought whatsoever, and the dialogue stunk. But when the school opened, the story improved. All Bottled Up had no such issues, aside from the annoying "Best Friends Until the End of Time" and the B-plot not being as fluid with the A-plot as it could've.

A Flurry of Emotions vs. The Maud Couple: AFoE wins so far. I laughed at almost every joke in the A-plot, while I cringed from the repetitive anti-humor by both Maud and Mudbriar. Maud standing Pinkie up in the morning, which contributed to a near-meltdown, and not telling her where she went doesn't help, either. Flurry's B-plot also works very well, using Cadance's and SA's experience as parents to reminisce their time with their baby. The one red flag was Twilight bringing Flurry to a nursery full of contagious fillies.

• Brohoof 2

Season 8 just aired 3 episode so i cant compare them yet. 

However, if you just compare 3 first episodes, i agree School Daze is much better premiere than S7 premiere. Even i dont like Pinkie performances in Maud Couple, i still like it better than A Flurry of Emotions because Maud Couple satisfied me more in the act 3. 

32 minutes ago, Lambdadelta said:

Season 8 just aired 3 episode so i cant compare them yet. 

However, if you just compare 3 first episodes, i agree School Daze is much better premiere than S7 premiere. Even i dont like Pinkie performances in Maud Couple, i still like it better than A Flurry of Emotions because Maud Couple satisfied me more in the act 3. 

T E C H N I C A L L Y  This thread is to compare each episode to the previous seasons same episode, and hoping the thread stays active, we will see which season won (in our respective opinions) by the end of it.

• Brohoof 1

38 minutes ago, RyanMahaffe said:

T E C H N I C A L L Y  This thread is to compare each episode to the previous seasons same episode, and hoping the thread stays active, we will see which season won (in our respective opinions) by the end of it.

Heh. you're sounding like Maud Pie's new boyfriend. Was that intentional?

For now....

For Episode 1 and 2, S8 is better.

For Episode 3, S7 is better.

Okay, so:

"Celestial Advice"/"All Bottled Up" < "School Daze" - Season 8's premiere has way too much table setting and a fair handful of weird issues with the school concept, but the new characters are charming, the old characters are used decently, Starlight actually does something fresh, and the anti-racism moral is interesting. "Celestial Advice," by contrast, is lightweight and awfully safe, and I frankly found it slightly dull, whereas "All Bottled Up" mostly just annoyed me because of Trixie, and I didn't really like the juxtaposition of Trixie and Starlight's messed up friendship with a whitewashed caricature of the mane six's friendship. 

"A Flurry of Emotions" > "The Maud Couple" - I found both of these episodes funny, but "Flurry of Emotions" was more consistently so, and I found Pinkie in "The Maud Couple" to be a bit disappointingly impatient. In general I like to see these characters try to show their best sides, and I found Twilight's efforts in the season 7 episode more satisfying than Pinkie's in the season 8 one. Plus, giving some screen time to Princess Cadance, the show's most underrated character, is a plus on my part, even if she didn't quite act as sweetly as I had hoped. 

Season 8 is stronger so far. I didn't like A flurry of Emotions that much. It's one of the episode I tend to skip. I love Maud couple though. Season 8 definitely has the stronger premier so far though i will admit that I like the Twilight and Celestia talk in the season 7 Premier. Don't get me wrong, i think Season 7 is the best season of the show so far... but the first 3 episodes are weaker than season 8. 

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, The_Dank_Brony said:

I obviously liked School Daze better than "Celestial Advice". But sadly, I didn't get other Hasbro shows in MLP. That would have been great.

The last thing I would want is a canon crossover of different shows.

(edited)

I’d argue that Season 8 has the stronger opening. I wasn’t a big fan of either of Season 7’s opening episodes. Celestial Advice, despite giving Celestia much needed character growth, was overall a waste of time. It was 20 minutes of Twilight panicking over sending Starlight away only for Starlight to decide she wanted to stay anyway. All Bottled Up was better but not by much. It has that same tired plot of character A doing something that bothers character B while not realising it and character B chooses not to tell character A that they’re bothering them until the situation implodes. It’s tiring and tedious when the whole plot could’ve been resolved if Starlight hadn’t gone out of her way to conceal how she was feeling with magic and just told Trixie that she was annoyed with her. The song was awful too. Trixie was adorable though.

Ignoring the unexplained building of the school, our protagonists acting like complete and utter idiots for the sake of a joke, the Season 8 premiere was pretty enjoyable. Much like the S6 premiere, the S8 premiere did a good job with telling a story without needing a super overpowered villain that the girls needed to friendship nuke. Chancellor Neighsay is one of the best antagonists the show has had in a while, he wasn’t stupidly overpowered, he didn’t have a eyerolling motive, in fact I’d say he was pretty realistic. I also think it’s great that the show is trying to feature the other creatures more prominently now, it opens up the potential for more interesting stories and the chance for us to learn more about these other creatures.  

Regarding the next two episodes, I preferred A Flurry of Emotions over The Maud Couple. I never had a hatred of Flurry like so many bronies did simply on the basis she was an alicorn. Her relationship with Twilight in the episode was adorable, I love that Twilight loves her niece so much because it adds another layer to her character. Princess Cadence and Shining are always nice to see too. The Maud Couple was alright, I hated the boyfriend and I hated Pinkie’s attitude towards him. Most of the comedy was meh but at least it was better than Rock Solid Friendship. 

To sum it up:

School Daze > Celestial Advice/All Bottled up 

A Flurry of Emotions > The Maud Couple

Edited by RulesofRarity