general How do you feel about anti vaxxers?

Feather Data

Do you support vaccines?  

40 users have voted

1. 1. Do you support vaccines?

• Yes
    • No

I saw the thread and instantly had to post this. :P

But seriously now, not only is it incredibly stupid, but these parents put their kids in danger with this sort of view.

I always respected and support doctors and what they do and, yes eventhough there might be some fatal errors that happen, there is no reason not to distrust your Doctor.

I mean, would you rather let your kid die and do nothing about it? The absurdity with this subject is through the roof.

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Mesme Rize said:

I saw the thread and instantly had to post this. :P

But seriously now, not only is it incredibly stupid, but these parents put their kids in danger with this sort of view.

I always respected and support doctors and what they do and, yes eventhough there might be some fatal errors that happen, there is no reason not to distrust your Doctor.

I mean, would you rather let your kid die and do nothing about it? The absurdity with this subject is through the roof.

Anti flu vaxxers, I can deal with, even though they are jerks.

but actual anti vaxxers, i can't stand.

I have a friend that just seems to fall for all of this stuff, and has made her stance as an anti-vaxxer clear. Unfortunately, she is a mother, and has three children.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Envy said:

I have a friend that just seems to fall for all of this stuff, and has made her stance as an anti-vaxxer clear. Unfortunately, she is a mother, and has three children.

Wait, she is a mother!!?? 

Just now, Feather Data said:

Anti flu vaxxers, I can deal with, even though they are jerks.

but actual anti vaxxers, i can't stand.

Well, a flu does not have to be fatal if you treat it well when it happens and most flu deaths happen with people under age of 5 and over age of 65. A Flu shot is not really that necessary, but is of course an option.

if we talk about shots for stuff like Tetanus, then we reach a whole new level.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/another-child-suffers-from-the-effects-of-anti-vaccine-propaganda-and-tetanus/

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Mesme Rize said:

Well, a flu does not have to be fatal if you treat it well when it happens and most flu deaths happen with people under age of 5 and over age of 65. A Flu shot is not really that necessary, but is of course an option.

if we talk about shots for stuff like Tetanus, then we reach a whole new level.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/another-child-suffers-from-the-effects-of-anti-vaccine-propaganda-and-tetanus/

Yea, let us talk about diseases like tetanus, measles, polio, chickenpox, and many more

the flu is nothing compared to these

• Brohoof 1

I support vaccines, but I know people irl who don't. :wat: I can't say I support them with that, but oh well, people choose to do what they want, it's a free country.

Edited by Lucky Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

As @ShadOBabesaid, there are quacks out there. One such quack is the one who came out with the study that vaccines cause autism. His study was discredited, as he forged his study and his PhD was revoked. However, the stigma remains, which led to other fears.

I vaccinate my daughter, including the flu. I for one skip the flu, because that's one that seems silly to me -- and I've never gotten the flu. 

I'm surprised chicken pox has a vaccine now. That was a fun rite of passage.

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, PiratePony said:

As @ShadOBabesaid, there are quacks out there. One such quack is the one who came out with the study that vaccines cause autism. His study was discredited, as he forged his study and his PhD was revoked. However, the stigma remains, which led to other fears.

I vaccinate my daughter, including the flu. I for one skip the flu, because that's one that seems silly to me -- and I've never gotten the flu. 

And I got vaccinated for it when I was younger

3 minutes ago, PiratePony said:

Wait, you vaccinate your daughter for the flu, but not yourself?

Odd. 

Also you are using the same fallacy most anti flu vaxxers use, 'I never caught the flu'

it is very possible for you to catch the flu, vaccinated or not, the vaccine can reduce severity

• Brohoof 1

to put it simply, they're idiots. They based their knowledge on uncredible sources that could be debunked by a normal person who does research, and don't typically listen to the counter argument, which anyone should know will not help your cause  

• Brohoof 1

58 minutes ago, PiratePony said:

By skipping getting the flu vaccine, the flu virus can use your body as a way to jump from you to someone else, including children or the immunosuppressed. Remember, you being vaccinated doesn't just affect you, it affects the population around you by increasing the percentage of those immune to a virus. If you got the flu, yeah, it probably wouldn't hurt you too badly as an adult, you'd likely just have to stay in bed for a day at worst, but an unvaccinated child or someone with a weaker immune system might contract it from you. You also make it so your daughter's vaccination is less effective; those who are immune are still able to get the illness if there is an outbreak, even if it is by far a reduced chance.

I can't stop you from making this decision, but while it may "seem silly", it's not just a decision that affects you in the end.

Someone else mentioned you can still get infected, but here are some other reasons why you should go through with it anyway, even if the risk doesn't seem that dire.

58 minutes ago, PiratePony said:

It has a vaccine because those who get chicken pox when they are children are susceptible (note: pretty much almost guaranteed) to get shingles later in life, so it'd be better to prevent from getting it period. In addition, the chicken pox is deadly in adults, so if you never got it in your childhood, you absolutely MUST get a chicken pox vaccine.

EDIT: Though I know what you mean by the rite of passage lol. I remember when there was a huge chicken pox sweep within my neighborhood. I unfortunately contracted it during that time, which means I'll probably get shingles at some point. Which sucks.

• Brohoof 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Scootaloved said:

By skipping getting the flu vaccine, the flu virus can use your body as a way to jump from you to someone else, including children or the immunosuppressed. Remember, you being vaccinated doesn't just affect you, it affects the population around you by increasing the percentage of those immune to a virus. If you got the flu, yeah, it probably wouldn't hurt you too badly as an adult, you'd likely just have to stay in bed for a day at worst, but an unvaccinated child or someone with a weaker immune system might contract it from you. You also make it so your daughter's vaccination is less effective; those who are immune are still able to get the illness if there is an outbreak, even if it is by far a reduced chance.

I want to mention something else,

I should say getting the flu shot will not prevent the flu, instead it lessens the severity of the deadlier strains of flu out there. That is the reason the flu is still very common and impossible to eradicate

Especially when the virus mutates all the time

And the flu shot won't prevent you from getting the mutated strain.

if you get the flu, please stay home, and don't spread your mutated virus and infect other vaccinated people

Unfortunately, the flu is inevitable, but that is no excuse to not get your flu shot.

Just do not expect it the highly prevent the flu like how the measles and polio vaccines do for their respected diseases

13 minutes ago, Scootaloved said:

It has a vaccine because those who get chicken pox when they are children are susceptible (note: pretty much almost guaranteed) to get shingles later in life, so it'd be better to prevent from getting it period. In addition, the chicken pox is deadly in adults, so if you never got it in your childhood, you absolutely MUST get a chicken pox vaccine.

EDIT: Though I know what you mean by the rite of passage lol. I remember when there was a huge chicken pox sweep within my neighborhood. I unfortunately contracted it during that time, which means I'll probably get shingles at some point. Which sucks.

Was the vaccine available at the time?

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Scootaloved said:

It was in the 90's, so I'm not sure. My mother is a retired nurse, so it's likely she would have had me get the vaccine if it was available, or if she'd known about it.

The vaccine was introduced in 1984

1 minute ago, Feather Data said:

The vaccine was introduced in 1984

Huh. Not sure, then. Maybe it wasn't available in my area? I know my mom has had me getting vaccines since I was five or so. She and some nurses have remarked before that I was "very brave" with getting my shots back then.

Either that, or I could've gotten it when I was too young to get a shot for it. My memories regarding it are very fuzzy.

• Brohoof 1

Okay, I just asked my mom. I did actually get the vaccine. I contracted a milder version of chicken pox later after getting the vaccine as an infant. I still have the possibility of developing shingles.

Also

@PiratePony You're very welcome. You seem to at least know about the benefits of vaccines, but you definitely need to be cautious that you're not lulled into a false sense of security. There are lots of factors that go into the spread of illnesses.

• Brohoof 1

11 minutes ago, Scootaloved said:

Okay, I just asked my mom. I did actually get the vaccine. I contracted a milder version of chicken pox later after getting the vaccine as an infant. I still have the possibility of developing shingles.

Also

@PiratePony You're very welcome. You seem to at least know about the benefits of vaccines, but you definitely need to be cautious that you're not lulled into a false sense of security. There are lots of factors that go into the spread of illnesses.

Oh yeah definitely, and I always am first to take precautions. I have a kid and have public school teaching experience. If I taught again, I'd get even the flu one without a second thought. I'm a little stubbon - that one and that alone just seems a bit fugazi to me.

Good luck on not getting shingles. If I ever get it, I'll think of you.

• Brohoof 2

Simply said, they're morons.

They somehow have this weird idea that a dead virus is somehow bad, a lot of them saying it somehow in some way contributes to autism (which anyone with a brain should see makes no sense whatsoever).

9 hours ago, Feather Data said:

What do you think about the people against vaccinations, though?

It's their choice to make. I won't hold it against them.