Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Time Travel

Wonderbolt Slipstream

If you could travel through time, when would you go and why?

Rules:

• You can only time travel once (if you go to year 3000, then you are stuck in year 3000)
  • You are still yourself (you won't turn into 5 year old you if you were 5 at that time period, there would just be 2 you's)
  • You still age (if you are 17 in year 3000, then you turn 18 in year 3001)
  • You don't have to use it immediately (you can save it for later in life if you wish to)
  • You are in a parallel timeline, but anything different that happens to younger/ older you will not affect how you are at that moment (you can't get younger you to win the lottery and suddenly be rich)
Edited by Slipstream95
MORE RULES
  • Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Califorum said:

Given those limitations I would do the winning lottery numbers for the biggest bucks available.

Nothing would happen to you yourself, but the 5 year old you would have a different life. (I updated the rules, I don't want everybody saying they want there younger self to win the lottery, that's boring and un-original).

Just now, Slipstream95 said:

Nothing would happen to you yourself, but the 5 year old you would have a different life. (I updated the rules, I don't want everybody saying they want there younger self to win the lottery, that's boring and un-original).

Not my younger self. My future self. I don't see how the 5 year old me would have anything to do with that.

Just now, brutwilight sharple said:

I'm15

Yep, so if you go back to 2002 then to get to 2018 you'd have to live through 16 years and then you'd also be 31 and everything else would be the same.

1 minute ago, Califorum said:

Not my younger self. My future self. I don't see how the 5 year old me would have anything to do with that.

Butterfly affect might happen and you might have just changed the winning numbers just by adding your ticket numbers.

I think I would like to go to the distant future but maybe that's just me being hopeful for the world's future.  I don't really know what specific year I would like to go to, just some time in the future.  Maybe 2800???

3 minutes ago, Thuja said:

I think I would like to go to the distant future but maybe that's just me being hopeful for the world's future.  I don't really know what specific year I would like to go to, just some time in the future.  Maybe 2800???

Be careful, you don't know what the future entails, you might end up in a wasteland with no way to get back to your time.

2 minutes ago, Slipstream95 said:

Be careful, you don't know what the future entails, you might end up in a wasteland with no way to get back to your time.

That's what I'm worried about...  On one hand, I hope that our future will entail a unified people, like star trek, that explores the galaxy.  On the other though...  Sometimes I wonder if we would've nuked ourselves to death or climate change has killed us off effectively in some manner(but that's for another discussion altogether) and has made our planet into either a human tuchanka(mass effect game planet) or a mad max/fallout type of world.  Or maybe a meteor has given us a sweet death....  There's too many possibilities but to be fair, I'm willing to take that chance, just to see what happens to us.

11 minutes ago, Thuja said:

That's what I'm worried about...  On one hand, I hope that our future will entail a unified people, like star trek, that explores the galaxy.  On the other though...  Sometimes I wonder if we would've nuked ourselves to death or climate change has killed us off effectively in some manner(but that's for another discussion altogether) and has made our planet into either a human tuchanka(mass effect game planet) or a mad max/fallout type of world.  Or maybe a meteor has given us a sweet death....  There's too many possibilities but to be fair, I'm willing to take that chance, just to see what happens to us.

In my opinion, I would hope you make that choice for yourself later in your life, remember, you can save that one chance to use at a later date.

3 minutes ago, Slipstream95 said:

In my opinion, I would hope you make that choice for yourself later in your life, remember, you can save that one chance to use at a later date.

It's a risky gamble, I know, very risky.  I wouldn't know whether I want to go now or later, if I were too old I wouldn't be able to sample the new world for very long and if I were to go now, I might very well cut my life quickly if it were a failure.  Either way, I'd know what happened.  Probably taking this way too seriously though...  :blink:

47 minutes ago, Thuja said:

It's a risky gamble, I know, very risky.  I wouldn't know whether I want to go now or later, if I were too old I wouldn't be able to sample the new world for very long and if I were to go now, I might very well cut my life quickly if it were a failure.  Either way, I'd know what happened.  Probably taking this way too seriously though...  :blink:

I would do it when I'm 50, at that point if it's good, they have technology to extend your life. If it's bad, well then you are already past your prime then.

20 minutes ago, SharpWit said:

I assume I get to choose the location as well and can speak the language?

You can choose location but you can only speak the language you've been taught

I'd travel to the 60s to meet the Monkees in person, and then I'd bring them with me to 1981 to meet Andy Gibb on the set of the TV show Solid Gold.  Then I'd take them back with me to the present for a barbecue!!  :D

33 minutes ago, Slipstream95 said:

I would do it when I'm 50, at that point if it's good, they have technology to extend your life. If it's bad, well then you are already past your prime then.

Say what?  Got news for ya, junior.  Being 50 doesn't mean your at death's door.  I'm over 50 and I do everything I did when I was in my 30s.

21 minutes ago, SparkleSan79 said:

I'd travel to the 60s to meet the Monkees in person, and then I'd bring them with me to 1981...

Better check the rules.  It's a one-way trip.

I'm torn between traveling to the future, about a century, and back to 1980.

Why only a century?  Assuming Humanity's still around, the world would still look very familiar, yet there would be major technological advancements in areas like computer and the auto industry.

Why 1980?  I loved the '80s.  That was my decade.  The music, the cloths, the home computer was still in it's infancy.  And I'd want to stop my other self from making a really big mistake, which would affect the rest of his life.

Edited by Mortar

8 minutes ago, Slipstream95 said:

You can choose location but you can only speak the language you've been taught

So I being only an English speaker am now basically stuck with North America, and Great Britain with all of its colonies, going as far back as the year 1700 if I want to still be able to fully talk to people.

So I can't go back to Germany in the 1880's and attempt to renew the Reinsurance Treaty with Russia, form stronger bonds with Belgium, the United States, and England in that order, or kicking off the naval arms race with England a little sooner, and have technologies begin development a decade or two before anyone else in secret, thus dramatically increasing the  Empire's chances of winning what would become the Great War with possibly far fewer casualties, less third parties involved, giving dawn to a Germany that is a new global super power while preventing the rise of Facism! Go big or go home right? But I can't do that because I don't speak German and would come off as a raving Englishman.

I don't want to go to the future because I don't know what's in store. Theoretically we could all be dead next month. Very unlikely but there is the realm of possibility.

Maybe instead I'll go to 1840s America. Use my knowledge to help others and acquire wealth. People didn't know how to wash their hands after all. I'm no doctor but I know a helluva lot more than they did back then as far as hygiene goes. That and a handful of other innovations thanks to things I've researched about and my level of education alone in comparison to the average individual in those days. I'd find myself living a decent life. There's one other thing I'd do but I won't say it here.

Normally, venturing into the past would present a paradox, but since this has been ruled out for the sake of this discussion, I'll go to the past; the 1920s to be precise. I would not hesitate before leaving, rather, I'd be out of here so fast my bloomers would have to catch the next time machine heading out. :huh:

I would be interested in the future, but to be honest I have too much of a pessimistic view of what it'll become so I'm going for the tried and true. If I go the 1920s I'll know what to expect, what to avoid and how to optimize the experience. There are many things I wish I'd been around to see, so this would cover all that. And if I start in the '20s, I'll also get other coveted decades that follow. In those times the world was still open and new things were encouraged rather than stomped into the ground. I'd want an optimistic world like that. :twi:

I would first spend a few years studying everything that has to do with WW1 until I memorize all the key allied battle plans. Then I would go back to June of 1914 and advise the Central Powers on how they can win the war. Also I would do everything in my power to have these people assassinated.

This would solve about 90% of the problems imo.

Edited by Twiggy

13 hours ago, Mortar said:

Say what?  Got news for ya, junior.  Being 50 doesn't mean your at death's door.  I'm over 50 and I do everything I did when I was in my 30s.

Better check the rules.  It's a one-way trip.

I'm torn between traveling to the future, about a century, and back to 1980.

Why only a century?  Assuming Humanity's still around, the world would still look very familiar, yet there would be major technological advancements in areas like computer and the auto industry.

Why 1980?  I loved the '80s.  That was my decade.  The music, the cloths, the home computer was still in it's infancy.  And I'd want to stop my other self from making a really big mistake, which would affect the rest of his life.

Sorry, I'm still young, give me a break, we all age differently, I didn't mean to offend you.

12 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

I refuse to accept restrictions!

7190943.jpg

Extra rule: No alternate time machine devices allowed

12 hours ago, SharpWit said:

So I being only an English speaker am now basically stuck with North America, and Great Britain with all of its colonies, going as far back as the year 1700 if I want to still be able to fully talk to people.

So I can't go back to Germany in the 1880's and attempt to renew the Reinsurance Treaty with Russia, form stronger bonds with Belgium, the United States, and England in that order, or kicking off the naval arms race with England a little sooner, and have technologies begin development a decade or two before anyone else in secret, thus dramatically increasing the  Empire's chances of winning what would become the Great War with possibly far fewer casualties, less third parties involved, giving dawn to a Germany that is a new global super power while preventing the rise of Facism! Go big or go home right? But I can't do that because I don't speak German and would come off as a raving Englishman.

I don't want to go to the future because I don't know what's in store. Theoretically we could all be dead next month. Very unlikely but there is the realm of possibility.

Maybe instead I'll go to 1840s America. Use my knowledge to help others and acquire wealth. People didn't know how to wash their hands after all. I'm no doctor but I know a helluva lot more than they did back then as far as hygiene goes. That and a handful of other innovations thanks to things I've researched about and my level of education alone in comparison to the average individual in those days. I'd find myself living a decent life. There's one other thing I'd do but I won't say it here.

Yeah, sorry, I just think that being able to suddenly know a new language doesn't make sense with what I'm trying to go for

58 minutes ago, Slipstream95 said:

Yeah, sorry, I just think that being able to suddenly know a new language doesn't make sense with what I'm trying to go for

Lol, time travel is never what most people expect of it. Reminds of this a scene from this one show, I can't remember it's name, but some people figure out how to time travel, and they go back in time to try and kill Adolf Hitler to end WW2 early. They were promptly rounded up by his guards and executed since they didn't consider that one of the world's cruelest and most powerful men might have some defenses. Didn't help that they stuck out like a sore thumb.