Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Is Your Opinion on Occultism?

Altastrofae

What's your OP on Witchcraft?  

52 users have voted

1. 1. Do you...

• Completely support witchcraft in everyway, shape, and form?
    • Not care either way?
    • Compoetely disagree with its use?
    • Have a mixed opinion?
    • Think I have a screw loose?

3 minutes ago, Altastrofae said:

Oh okay, that makes sense. I'm technically ecclectic myself, but I'm more inclined towards Wicca.

But let me ask you something. What do you use witchcraft for exactly. I mostly use it in a religiously inclined manner as a method of leaning about both myself and the universe through experience rather than pure loore. But you're intentions are not spiritual, so I always failed to see the motivation behind atheist witches.

I use witchcraft for myself and for my loved ones. I don't believe in a god but I do know that the universe has strong forces that we as it's inhabitants coexist with and abide by. There is more than what meets the eye. It's not spiritual, it's me putting out things into the universe. I can believe in the good and the bad in others. I have no qualms about hexing someone if necessary, as I would only hex those who do harm to me and my loved ones. I understand that witchcraft can only get me so far and that I also need to put some action forward; the practice is a good boost to the universe and to keep my goals and ambitions in check. No god required. 

• Brohoof 1

Occultism is a lot larger than just Witchcraft, and overall I am very interested in it with some "dabbling" here and there and a lot of research on different subjects and topics. But going by just your question, which is Witchcraft in and of itself... I don't see an issue with it. I've known plenty of people into witchcraft, several members of Wicca and even a couple into more satanic and disturbing stuff that I personally found a bunch of crap. Paganism has always fascinated me in many of its forms, since I am a strong believer in nature and having a connection to it. I do not actively practice it at the moment, but have been privileged to attend gatherings and have witnessed certain things.

I have also learned to be very cautious what i say in regards to these kinds of topics.

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, GrimGrimoire said:

Occultism is a lot larger than just Witchcraft

Yes, this. I also find cases of hauntings and unexplained things absolutely fascinating. The stories people tell, which while some are sensationalized a lot probably hold some truth. 

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Rosebuds said:

I use witchcraft for myself and for my loved ones. I don't believe in a god but I do know that the universe has strong forces that we as it's inhabitants coexist with and abide by. There is more than what meets the eye. It's not spiritual, it's me putting out things into the universe. I can believe in the good and the bad in others. I have no qualms about hexing someone if necessary, as I would only hex those who do harm to me and my loved ones. I understand that witchcraft can only get me so far and that I also need to put some action forward; the practice is a good boost to the universe and to keep my goals and ambitions in check. No god required. 

I suppose I do that stuff too. It just isn't my main focus, not really the goal for me.

But I fucking hate it when people tell me "You can't hex someone because it goes against the Wiccan Rede!"

Because it doesn't. People are ignorant towards basic Old English grammar!

The rede says, and I quote,

"An ye harm none, Do as ye will"

What that says is "if what you're doing isn't harming anybody, go ahead and do it." It's literally impossible to not hurt a single entity. If someone is trying to hurt me and/or my loved ones, this bitch gonna hex them badtards

3 minutes ago, Rosebuds said:

Yes, this. I also find cases of hauntings and unexplained things absolutely fascinating. The stories people tell, which while some are sensationalized a lot probably hold some truth. 

Yes very. A lot of it is just attention seeking drivel, or misunderstandings about how things work sometimes.. but you would be surprised what truths lie out there unseen or hidden. The world just behind the world we understand is far larger than any of us really know or comprehend.

But I won't derail this thread discussing it here. ;)

11 minutes ago, SwitchGuy2018 said:

@Altastrofae

As long as it's used responsibly, I won't treat the occult as something to be fear.

Oh, I only use it when it's absolutely necessary, as part of my spiritual journey, or because my friends are facing difficult times in their lives, like the people who visit my request shop :D

Link down below ⊙ω⊙

https://mlpforums.com/topic/175099-crystals-spell-shopthingy/

• 1 month later...

I could've gone with "completely support it" but then... I'm not really OK with Sith Lords, and that particular option implied supporting the use of magick for good OR for evil, and that kinda violates the "An Ye Harm None" creed. :P

It's hard to say I'm an active practitioner. But a lot of Star Wars EU influenced my early involvement in it, and one of the things that really stuck out in my mind was the dark side being the result of Force users who became far to reliant upon their powers. The Pony version of this would probably be Starlight (no, surprisingly not Trixie) and her kneejerk reaction to abracadabra her way out of any problem that arises. And of the few times where I did something "just to see what would happen," the results were VERY scary. I've also seen "Forbidden Planet." So... heh. I have a very conservative approach to the use of spells. I only do it when all other options have failed and unless my heart is absolutely crying out for it to be done, I stay away from it. I'll still do things to honor the gods/spirits/etc, but I can count the number of times I've seriously tried to use my will to alter reality on a single hand.

As far as atheism or agnosticism is concerned, since I saw at least a few 'followers' of such in this thread... I'm perfectly cool with people who don't believe in this stuff. I don't care if they do or don't, and I see no need to try and make them believe. I've personally experienced far too much Twilight Zone stuff (and I don't quickly assume... I DO investigate and try to debunk... including a UFO encounter I had that I didn't find a practical answer to until a decade after it happened) to think there isn't ANYTHING out there in the "great beyond" or another dimension, etc. I'm also quick to have words with anyone who tries to use beliefs as an excuse to impede scientific progress. I've never seen any practical reason for both sides to not be able to get along (unless their faith is really that shaky). I still won't say I KNOW that things are as I think they are, and that all of this could be a perfect storm of coincidence and illusions. I guess just too much has happened to completely disregard it.

I like to think of myself as a fair minded person. I can't say there isn't anything to Witchcraft and the like. I will say this. In my life, I never have, and NEVER WILL, lay one finger on a Ouija board. I truly believe there are some things that should not be messed with.

I believe there are things beyond what we currently understand. Be they supernormal or just beyond current tech and scientific methods remains to be seen. But I have also grown up knowing Ed and Lorraine Warren so let's just say I put more stock in the supernormal than most. 

I don't want to insult those who practice but I fall in the completely disagree category. I will admit I have never look deeply into it so this is a purely outside perspective. 

Witchcraft seems to be all about what makes you feel powerful. It looks to be selfish on how can I hold the power of this that and the other. I find with most other religions the focus is on how can you lift other up and give of yourself to helping others. I'll admit most religions that teach this tend to do the opposite but the initial intention of Christianity, Islam, Judaism, buddism, confusionism, etc. Is about helping others and working together. I find the occult to be the oppose and focuses on lifting yourself higher than other people. 

Once again, I've never practiced nor do I know many people who do so I do not have an in-depth analysis of the occult. I have studied major religions around the world though. 

I'm cautious around all this kind of stuff. I believe that there is a spiritual world, which some people happen to be adept at manipulating. To me, that's what witchcraft is... making an offering (a "spell") to spirits so that they might do one's bidding. But that's just my personal theory, based on my personal experience and the experiences of two of my friends who are practicing witches.

The occult is not something I have any desire to mess with, though. I'm not exactly superstitious, but I think there is some truth to it. I don't necessarily fear it, but I don't think it's morally justified either. I just let practicioners of the occult do their thing as long as they aren't hurting anybody else.

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, Sunlight Glisten said:

I don't want to insult those who practice but I fall in the completely disagree category. I will admit I have never look deeply into it so this is a purely outside perspective. 

Witchcraft seems to be all about what makes you feel powerful. It looks to be selfish on how can I hold the power of this that and the other. I find with most other religions the focus is on how can you lift other up and give of yourself to helping others. I'll admit most religions that teach this tend to do the opposite but the initial intention of Christianity, Islam, Judaism, buddism, confusionism, etc. Is about helping others and working together. I find the occult to be the oppose and focuses on lifting yourself higher than other people. 

Once again, I've never practiced nor do I know many people who do so I do not have an in-depth analysis of the occult. I have studied major religions around the world though. 

If you like researching religions, you'll probably enjoy Wicca. The word "occult" has a lot of bad stigma attached to it that lingers over from the "Satanism scare" from back in the 70's (remember, parents were terrified of Dungeons and Dragons back then, and don't get me started on heavy metal music). Sure there are "dark witches" but usually it's about trying to change the world for the better. It's also very flexible though in that you can find Witches who have no problem incorporating other religions into their practice if they so choose, and that's one of the really cool things about it: you get to pick your own gods, spirits, etc.

And speaking of picking your own gods, I have to ask this of the occultists in the room. I'm wondering if anyone here who works with the moon goddess (arguably the most popular deity in occultism)... at some point suddenly found their mental image of her... looking a bit different than before... like say... a certain Equestrian Princess?

Edited by bornAgainEquestrian

Well, since the poll refers to witchcraft in specific, I'll just give my perspective on that and not every other occult out there.

To summarize my perspective, I think witchcraft is very demonic, that demons are behind most of it.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Sondash Studios said:

The word "whichcraft" just doesn't go good with me and never will. I've never been and never will be interested km the dark arts.

I think that is more pagan sort of witchcraft other types can be pretty spiritual and all about love and peace and stuff.

Just now, Dabmanz said:

I think that is more pagan sort of witchcraft other types can be pretty spiritual and all about love and peace and stuff.

Oh, it's just that I don't like the word "wichcraft" and it gives me the sensation of dark magic and all this stuff. It's just the first things that pop in my head when I hear it.

Just now, Sondash Studios said:

Oh, it's just that I don't like the word "wichcraft" and it gives me the sensation of dark magic and all this stuff. It's just the first things that pop in my head when I hear it.

Fair enough.

• Brohoof 1