Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S08:E24 - Father Knows Beast

Will Guide
Message added by Jeric

Warning, there will likely be spoilers in the Episode discussion threads so venture in at your own peril. 

Episode Rating  

102 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like or dislike the Episode?

• "Suffering will be this episode's teacher" *shoots fire* (HATE IT!)
    • "When I sit down to an episode, I like to have it in tune" *plays out of tune notes* (Dislike it)
    • "This episode is like your father: A Pirate and a Good Man" *The calm neutral waves crash* (Meh)
    • "The Like is Strong with this Episode" *heavy breaths* (Like it!)
    • "I am proud to be this Episode's family!" *Gives a grito* (LOVE IT!)

18 hours ago, Senko said:

Where are they airing in Australia if you don't mind me asking? As I've not been able to locate them on my tv guide.

I'm not sure since I'm in the US. :) I've been watching them from the links posted after they air in Australia. This is what I've been using to find out the next available episode: https://simple.ponyclock.com/

There aren't any links to actual episodes, but it is handy to know when an episode will be becoming available.

17 hours ago, FlareGun45 said:
  Hide contents

I think I might get what you mean by "there was more between them than the show lets on". I already dropped that theory about Smolder being his sister, but I'm starting to think the writers are setting Smolder up to be Spike's girlfriend! I guess if the crush on Rarity were to go away, there needs to be something else to take it's place, and I think Smolder would be an amazing gf! Smolder and Spike already have so much in common! Remember the firebreathing contest from a few episodes back? Also Smolder likes cute things like Spike does? Whatever's gonna happen between Spike and Smolder, it seems like the writers are setting up SOMETHING!

I think it's still too early to say Spike is being set up with Smolder. I love the bonding they've been shown taking part in lately, but I can't say yet whether it's just friendship or hints of something more. The other issue is maturity. Smolder may be physically more mature than Spike, but Spike still seems to be the one who is the authority figure when he's interacting with any of the students in Twilight's school. There would be some ethical issues with him dating one of the students - at least until any such love interest graduated.

50 minutes ago, Truffles said:

I'm not sure since I'm in the US. :) I've been watching them from the links posted after they air in Australia. This is what I've been using to find out the next available episode: https://simple.ponyclock.com/

There aren't any links to actual episodes, but it is handy to know when an episode will be becoming available.

I think it's still too early to say Spike is being set up with Smolder. I love the bonding they've been shown taking part in lately, but I can't say yet whether it's just friendship or hints of something more. The other issue is maturity. Smolder may be physically more mature than Spike, but Spike still seems to be the one who is the authority figure when he's interacting with any of the students in Twilight's school. There would be some ethical issues with him dating one of the students - at least until any such love interest graduated.

Going by something I saw yesterday I think they may be airing on the ridiculously expensive foxtel.

1 hour ago, Steve Piranha said:
  Reveal hidden contents

HOLY SHIT, SIGMA IS PONY :wacko:...... dragon technically  :nom:, but still pony character :mlp_yeehaa:

Spoiler

Who's this Sigma character you're talking about?

Alrighty... Kicking off viewing right now! :ticking: Edits to come as I watch....

Spoiler

It's funny - the subbed opening said Spike loved sewing, but the actual dialogue is Spike saying he's in the "embroidery zone." I suppose it's the same thing in a way, though the latter is more specific.

Dear Smolder: There is at least one dragon in the dragonlands who really wants pillows, and was ready to raid all of Equestria for them. So don't discount the pleasures of being comfortable, yet. (I'll have to go back and see if Haber wrote "Gauntlet of Fire".) Especially since we all know your seeecret from "What Lies Beneath.":mlp_wink:

And there's the first use of the term "baby dragon" (by Sludge) in something like several seasons. Kind of surprised he'd refer to dragons who have gone through the Molt as babies. It's like saying a human kid with facial hair is still physically a toddler. :laugh:

Fluttershy within 10 feet of an adult dragon. Yeah, she's totally not afraid of them anymore. (Later) AND SHE EVEN CARES FOR HIM LIKE ONE OF HER ANIMALS? Yeah DEFINITELY not afraid! Too bad, Angel - you've been replaced for a little while. ;)

I can already tell by the montage this Sludge guy is a lazy freeloader who only wants to take advantage of the situation he's fallen into by crashing into Ponyville. :bea: Dear Fluttershy: Please do to Sludge what you did to the Breezies.

Oh hey, he didn't take the same path as the recovering Breezies after all. Yay? :laugh:

I'm liking this animation style they used for Spike's origin story.

Holy guacamole - Spike's "mother" is a dead ringer (albeit with green scales) for Spike's mom in the fanfiction "Small Scale!" :wau:

Wow. For a possible fraud this guy really, really really knows his stuff - tying both the dragon migration and even knowing what and where Kludgetown is. If he's making this story up, he puts Flim and Flam's abilities to shame.

Aaaand - the story quickly falls apart as he creates several plotholes at once. :mlp_laugh: It seems the ponies knowing about Klugetown was very unexpected for him. I must say - I really love seeing the Mane 6 and Spike this sharp! I wish the characters could always be this sharp even when they have to learn a lesson.

Speaking of which, I'm trying to guess what the lesson is before the end of the episode. So far all I can say is, "Don't trust strange creatures who crash land in your town." <_<

Yes! Spike's been thinking about what it would be like to have a dad all this time! :-D At least I get one headcanon confirmed from this episode.

Damn, that moment with Spike consoling his "dad" is so heartwarming. :( I feel future pain coming up, however: Even if I didn't already know the outcome to the episodes "big question", I would have figured out by now this Sludge character was conning Spike and the ponies to get something out of them that I have yet to see.

LOL to the ponies reacting to the big, green, dragon casually walking through town. :mlp_laugh:

Oh dear.... Spike has been working on a list of things to do with his dad all his life. That dramatic pause in his dialogue got me all choked up.:(

Spike...is...so....happy! Getting to do the things on his "dad time" list. I'm being torn apart suspecting what is going to happen. Also I wondered at first if yet another year had gone by due to the Hearthswarming Eve scene (I like the dolls they made!) but now I see the ponies were just helping Spike live a dream. IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL!!!! :awed:

And another tell: Sludge removing the apron in disgust. If Spike were really his son, he wouldn't do that. (Also might even be using "Dragon Quest" to drive home the point, as Spike's fondness for wearing aprons was one of the major factors in Spike leaving to learn what it meant to be a "real" dragon.)

Ouch. Being told by your dad you're not living up to his standards as a dragon must have felt like a knife in Spike's heart. :(
Dear Sludge: Spike is every much a real dragon as you. A better kind of dragon - one that is being supported by the current Dragon Lord and newcomers like Smolder.

Oh goodness - this song reminds me so much of the song, "A Kirin Tale" in the episode just before. And just as funny. :mlp_laugh:

Oh look - Rarity plush spotted. Oh, look. Sludge is trying to get rid of it. Not sure of it's fate yet.

Heh, Sludge seems to like Starlight but not Twilight. Maybe he visited Our Town in his travels and knows who she was? :yeahno:

And at the end of the song, Sludge's true plan is revealed. Also, I have to wonder what Twilight saw while he was laying in Spike's bed that made her cover her eyes. :laugh: Twilight thinking: "Yeah, I really did not need to know that much about dragon anatomy!" XD

Oh shit. He's using Spike at a level like I've never seen any other character in this series used before - preying on Spike's need for a family to get himself his own dragon slave. And I thought Rarity using Spike's affections in the earlier episodes was bad.... <_<

Spike's favorite dragon story book spotted. Dear Spike: Your real dad is likely the dragon in that story! :dash:

Spike, you just broke the pony who loves you the most's heart. Literally. :(

Oooooh, Smolder too the rescue! :-D That's right - straighten Spike out, girl! :mlp_yeehaa:

So, dragons ARE actually good parents (aside from kicking their kids out when they molt, of course) Another headcanon confirmed!

Oh yesssss.. I can see already what is going on and I'm very much liking this plan Spike and Smolder have come up with to catch Sludge. :sneer:

It is truly wonderful there is another dragon in the cast and in town that can put a wall up against all the BS some other dragons try to feed Spike. Spike is vulnerable since he doesn't really know what growing up dragon is like. Smolder is a real hero in this episode. Favorite student confirmed. (Even though I love all of them for various reasons. :kindness: )

Oh, I'm liking this awkward moment Spike and Twilight are having following their family discord. I'm really glad the episode didn't skimp out on them making up and forming even a stronger bond. But I can see why this episode is getting a lot of negative reactions, even if it is touching and is structurally sound. I'll say more in a separate post.

Edited by Truffles
Commenting as I watch (done!)
  • Brohoof 3

26 minutes ago, Truffles said:

Alrighty... Kicking off viewing right now! :ticking: Edits to come as I watch....

Hide contents

It's funny - the subbed opening said Spike loved sewing, but the actual dialogue is Spike saying he's in the "embroidery zone." I suppose it's the same thing in a way, though the latter is more specific.

Dear Smolder: There is at least one dragon in the dragonlands who really wants pillows, and was ready to raid all of Equestria for them. So don't discount the pleasures of being comfortable, yet. (I'll have to go back and see if Haber wrote "Gauntlet of Fire".) Especially since we all know your seeecret from "What Lies Beneath.":mlp_wink:

And there's the first use of the term "baby dragon" (by Sludge) in something like several seasons. Kind of surprised he'd refer to dragons who have gone through the Molt as babies. It's like saying a human kid with facial hair is still physically a toddler. :laugh:

Fluttershy within 10 feet of an adult dragon. Yeah, she's totally not afraid of them anymore. (Later) AND SHE EVEN CARES FOR HIM LIKE ONE OF HER ANIMALS? Yeah DEFINITELY not afraid! Too bad, Angel - you've been replaced for a little while. ;)

Spoiler

Its possible the molt is the equivilent of teething for dragons.

• Brohoof 1

Not gonna lie, that scene where it showed the X-Ray of Twilight's heart breaking? Made me tear up a bit.

Overall, I really, really liked this episode. I know a lot of people are disappointed because they might have been expecting to see Spike's actual father, or learn something about his past and where he came from, and this episode didn't actually answer any of that...but I'm fine with that, because at the end of this episode, Spike's fine with that. He has a family already, they might not be his biological family, they might be ponies instead of Dragons, but he has one. He has one in Twilight, and her friends. It's because of them he's who he is today, and maybe he's not the most "Dragon-ish" of dragons, but that's fine too as long as that's who he wants to be. Maybe he'll never know his biological family, but he knows his real one. 

Also, Sludge is my new least favorite character in this show. I actually kind of almost hate him. He makes Zephyr Breeze look like a hard-working saint and Chrysalis look like a caring parent. So, props to the episode for making me feel this much hate for him. He made this episode kind of hard to watch at times, but in a weird way I appreciate that.

2 minutes ago, VG_Addict said:

Spike hasn't had many good episodes.

I can't even name 3 good Spike episodes.

Secret of my Excess, Inspiration Manifestation, Equestria Games, Gauntlet of Fire, The times are a changeling, Dungeons and Discords, Molt Down, and this one. He's had plenty, I think.

Edited by BasementSparkle
  • Brohoof 6

The English version is here, but before I start, I'm gonna talk about the disappointment from fellow bronies towards it and my own:

Back when I first watched this episode in Swedish, to hear that he faked being a father, particularly after the story he told, was a major disappointment. I can really understand what the detractors feel. But as I watched the episode again and thought about it, the disappointment went away a bit, and seeing the subs helped me point out subtle clues that point out he really isn't his dad, after all. His scheme was vile, disgusting, manipulative, and really clever. He knew exactly how to get into Spike's naiveté and use him to get what he wants. Unlike Garble, whose a character I just hate, he's a character I love to hate.

The disappointment may not go away anytime soon, and I don't know if I'll fully enjoy the English version or not. But I don't think it's anywhere close to an average of bad level of quality as some say. Once I watch the English version, I'll judge it on its own merits and not for what my expectations want it to be.

Now, time to watch it! :D

• Brohoof 6

1 hour ago, Will Guide said:
  Hide contents

Who's this Sigma character you're talking about?

Spoiler

This guy :catface:

latest?cb=20151107160501

More specifically, this incarnation :fluttershy:

latest?cb=20100727204134

Who also happens to voice this guy too :mlp_icwudt:

latest?cb=20101205031032

I usually seek VAs who have voiced Marvel characters, but never in my life I have expected the voice of one of my favorite villains in videogames :yay:. Well, I hope we get Zero and Lumine next :squee:

Edited by Steve Piranha

7 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Now, time to watch it! :D

I'm still only halfway through myself! :-D I will be very interested to be able to go back through all the comments and finally read everything behind the spoiler boxes!

• Brohoof 1

I just finished watching this episode and I thought it was pretty good.

Spoiler

I liked how Twilight and Smolder were helping Spike in learning to fly. I liked how it was a callback to the beginning of the season 4 premiere. I also like how Spike likes to sew. It's pretty cool how we get to learn more and more about a character as the show goes on. I remember he likes charades in the episode, "Fake it Till you Make it." It was interesting to see the dragon, Sludge, had appeared out of nowhere. As well as Spike and the gang helping Sludge recover and get back onto his feet. Even though we learn what happens at the end of the episode, it was surprising to see Sludge telling spike that he was his father. I like how they brought up the locations from the movie, as well as other locations that Twilight and the others didn't know about. While the locations Sludge spoke of were probably not true, it's still interesting to learn what else is out there in Equestria. I was surprised when Spike yelled at Twilight and how her heart had broken at what he said to her. I felt saddened, since it felt like the bond that Twilight and Spike had was falling apart, in a way. I liked how Smolder was able to talk to Spike and help him understand that Sludge wasn't who he said he was. I'm glad to see that Spike and Smolder were able to get Sludge to confess and make him leave. I felt bad for Spike, since I thought he would finally know about his family and where he came from. At first, I thought that Spike and Sludge looked somewhat similar when it came to the spikes and the size of their wings. However, everything fell apart when I saw what Sludge's aim was all about.

I'm glad that Spike and Twilight apologized and that Spike considers Twilight his family. It's a shame that Spike may or may not ever know about his real dragon parents. However, I'm happy that he has a family in Twilight and the others. They helped in teaching him what the magic of friendship is all about. They helped to raise him from right and wrong. As well as helping him to grow as a character. It was because of Twilight's guidance that Spike was able to help bring dragons and ponies closer together. Even to help Thorax to be accepted by ponies that he was a changed changeling. I also like how they developed the relationship Spike shares with Smolder. Over this season, they've had a pretty good couple of interactions between each other. When it came to explaining about the molts, the fire breathing contests and now this. It really shows that Spike and Smolder have a really good friendship and chemistry with each other. Whether that relationship is a great friendship, or a boyfriend and girlfriend relationship. I look forward to seeing how Spike and Smolder's relationship develops. The comedy was pretty good and I thought the moral was pretty good, as well. All in all, I thought the episode was okay and I look forward to what else is in store for this season. 

• Brohoof 4

Spoiler

Isn't it kinda genius how Sludge is able to put together a fairy tale history of Spike's egg on the fly and make it at least halfway convincing? Even his crying didn't feel forced.

And Amethyst Star's and the pony's reaction to Sludge and Spike walking together around Ponyville's really funny.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 4

Spoiler

Jeez! Sludge's casual insult of Spike not being a real dragon feels way sharper than in the Swedish version. It's like Sludge just casually threw that up, and Spike felt really hurt by it.

And in that matter, Sludge was also real quick to apologize. Makes him feel even more detestable, since the ending makes it all off as being insincere.

Spoiler

BTW, You Just Can't Be a Dragon Here's real funny. (LOL at Starlight ejected while still bathing! XD)

• Brohoof 3

Spoiler

After the song, Sludge's manipulation becomes more and more brazen. While everyone suspects something's up, they can't prove it. All they could really do is watch, wait, and hope he doesn't brainwash him further. Kinda sad once you think about it, especially with that comes later. :/

• Brohoof 1

Father Knows Beast English Episode Spoilers

Spoiler

Twilight's reaction/heartbreak after Spike's "*real* family." comment didn't sound nearly as impactful in the English version, IMO.