Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Why do so many couples break up during college?

AlicornSpell

I suppose that this is the cause of the "fun-time" during college, in highschool the feelings toward another person are still clear enough to classify them as "not-for-show". However the later you spot a new person that you want to be with, the more worries about bad things you could think about it, so a few year difference may already affect that. I'm not an expert in the subject. 

I think it comes down to just not having enough time for a relationship. I only know two people in college right now who are dating but one of them lives with their partner and the other regularly hangs out with each other's families and have been together for years so they're heavily invested. You're going to have your ups and downs in college and as nice as it is to have someone by your side, it can be a hindrance to your time, especially if you're really working towards something and have jobs on the side.

It can also be a growth issue. Things were fine in high school where you only had so many responsibilities and life was more carefree, but now it's time to get into the real world and make something of yourself, but not everyone is ready for that. You like each other sure, but are they what's best for you? How to they react when they or yourself are under pressure?

Sometimes it's better to get the hard stuff out of the way first, put your focus where it's needed, and then go out and meet people once you're in a good place. Or maybe having a special someone there to support you along the way will be the reason you achieve your goals. It's difficult to say.

There's more promiscuity in college. Hence the chances of a quality relationship based on anything but physical gratification is reduced. So it stands to reason that couples in college are more likely to treat their relationships as something fleeting and disposable.

College is that time in peoples lives where they still dont know if what theyre doing is the right thing. Thats why me and a lot of my friends had 4 different majors over the course of 3 years of college. I have seen high school sweethearts last through the drama that is college. Some just want to explore the waters, while some are still immature so they gotta fill some void with countless and meaningless relationships.

I imagine that it’s because it’s a time of change and transition for a lot of people.

You learn about as much about yourself as you do anything else in college, and you may not have the same interests and opinions you did when you started.

Things you liked about a person may become irritating in the face of your new perspectives. Or the focus on school may keep you from hanging out so much.

7 hours ago, Rainbow Dash said:

College is that time in peoples lives where they still dont know if what theyre doing is the right thing. Thats why me and a lot of my friends had 4 different majors over the course of 3 years of college. I have seen high school sweethearts last through the drama that is college. Some just want to explore the waters, while some are still immature so they gotta fill some void with countless and meaningless relationships.

Is the "high school sweethearts that you seen last through the drama that college" very small though? From what I heard, a lot of teenage couples break up either in high school or after high school. So what I have heard is that most people meet their life partner when they are a adult, and the people who meet their life partner when they are a teenager are small compared to ones who met them as adults. Is that true? 

I was in a serous relationship in college and it ended up falling apart. I know that every relationship is unique and couples will separate for their own reasons but college tends to provide much stress and it can sometimes lead someone to rather focus on it than another person.

Because more often than not, high school relationships aren't made to last. Teenagers are hormonal and can often make the worst choices. It's why Romeo and Juliet isn't the greatest romance, it's a story of two dumb teenagers making a series of bad choices.

College IS a time of stress and freedom, but it's also a time where people actually mature and figure out what things they really want, and if they want to choose a relationship or higher education. However if people are mature enough and their feelings are strong enough, they can talk things out and make it through college. Because let's face it, if you go to a party and you hook up with someone because they're there and your partner isn't, methinks your feelings for your partner weren't so strongly based on love but more a case of lust.