Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Women live longer than men... or do they?

FirePuppy

Everywhere in the world women usually live longer than men. But I can tell you this:

All of Judy Garland's husbands lived to be in their 60s, and some of them in their 80s. She did not.

Not only that, women shrink in height faster than men, so it's quite clear that men's BMIs should be easier to live with than women's.

Edited by FirePuppy

1 minute ago, ShadOBabe said:

I’ve read the OP several times now, and I still don’t know what point you’re trying to make.

Well, one factor that I can continue with on is that some to most men actually smoke and drink alcohol more than women do, which could be a reason why this happens. But men who never do any of those (like me) can actually live longer than that, even longer than women with high BMIs.

Edited by FirePuppy

1 minute ago, FirePuppy said:

Well, one factor that I can continue with on is that some to most men actually smoke and drink alcohol more than women do, which could be a reason why this happens. But men who never do any of those (like me) can actually live longer than that, even longer than women with high BMIs.

True. But if you’re still one of those dudes that doesn’t go to the doctor and decides to “tough it out” when they’re not feeling well, then that’s not going to help you at all.

Also your BMI thing doesn’t mean much. The fact is, statistically, women live longer then men. And that’s because of a large web of different factors.

• Brohoof 2

@FirePuppy 

Since you like statistics I'll give you some guideance to do a proper analysis. Here are some specifics to properly put this together. 

Method

The Box-Jenkins method should be utilized here since the ARMA method is most relevant. The equation is dense, but identify p and q and follow the process, and be careful of theta here. 

Determine the cohort

This will be tricky, but you need to select a data set that does not include more modern cohorts. The Silent Generation and earlier would be the latest cohort that you can reasonably analyze due the inability to draw a conclusion without specific dependent variables that being assigned. It may be preferable to go even further back, however make sure that you adjust for conflict related mortality.

Choose one country 

Related to the last sentence above, but selection of UK, Germany, and eastern Europe would not yield accurate results due to the war variables. Canada and US populations would allow for a better data set. 

Determine extrinsic vs intrinsic

Do not forget to account for other extrinsic impacts such as epidemics as this would throw off your results. 

Get correct data

Human Mortality Database (HMD) is the only viable resource. Google that and you should see the link to it. Your going to have to trust this data because building a independent set would require several lifetime's of labor. SD is going to be applicable here anyway. 

You should be able to set a serious of binomial dist. to test simple booleans. Let me know what your initial set shows. 

• Brohoof 7

5 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

True. But if you’re still one of those dudes that doesn’t go to the doctor and decides to “tough it out” when they’re not feeling well, then that’s not going to help you at all.

Also your BMI thing doesn’t mean much. The fact is, statistically, women live longer then men. And that’s because of a large web of different factors.

I understand that, but there's lots of men who did live to be in their 80s and sometimes even in their 90s.

1 hour ago, FirePuppy said:

I understand that, but there's lots of men who did live to be in their 80s and sometimes even in their 90s.

Well obviously. But the statistic is that most don’t. Or rather, that more women tend to get there instead. So I still don’t know what the point you’re trying to make is.

If your point is just “some men live long lives” well, then... yeah, obviously. But that’s like trying to walk in somewhere and argue that the sky is blue. You’d be right, but everyone already knew that, so what was the point?

Edited by ShadOBabe

"Women live longer than men" or "men live longer than women" both seem like very unstable statements due to the numerous variables, that's why I don't accept either.

Edited by EpicEnergy

It's not an exact science. My grandfather outlived my grandmother by 7 years. Generally speaking, women tend to have a greater longevity.

I for one could care less. I have big plans for my funeral. Going to give my own eulogy and pay a dude to dress as the Grim Reaper, scythe and all, to sit in the back. Every so often, I'd like him to point at someone.

• Brohoof 1

On 9/18/2018 at 6:10 AM, FirePuppy said:

All of Judy Garland's husbands lived to be in their 60s, and some of them in their 80s. She did not.

Judy had a drug problem that probably shortened her life, poor girl. :(

But in general, I can believe that men don't live as long because they are probably more intense than females. And now more than ever there are stresses in the world that don't do any favors to you if you're a man.

It sucks, it's stupid, it's unbalanced, but there it is. :twi:

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Averages are tricky things.

Does the statement that women live longer than men take into account that men are more likely to die unnatural deaths? Males are more likely to join the military in active combat roles, males are more likely to have industrial/trades careers with higher risk of work related death.

A common misconception is that lifespans in the middle ages were dramatically shorter, when in fact averages were significantly reduced due to infant mortality. In the same way men may have lower lifespans than women, not because we are genetically programmed to kick the bucket sooner, but because on average we face more mortal risk.