Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Brony fandom without Equestria girls

Plonkett

Let's pretend Equestria Girls was never made. What do you think the Brony fandom would've been like without it? Do you think there would've been more anthro and human content, or there being even more Pony art than their already is?

I think it's be almost the exact same only the current Sunset Shimmer banner wouldn't be up on the forums. Both series are intricately connected but they're purposefully made in a way where they can be separated and don't interfere with each other.

• Brohoof 2

The fandom wouldn't have gotten as big as it did without Equestria Girls. Many joined the fandom through the spin-off and even prefer it over FiM.

• Brohoof 5

19 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

The fandom wouldn't have gotten as big as it did without Equestria Girls. Many joined the fandom through the spin-off and even prefer it over FiM.

I can attest to that. A high school friend of mine has a little brother who doesn't particularly care for MLP, but he loves Equestria Girls (Rainbow Rocks, especially).

• Brohoof 3

I dislike Equestria Girls and humanized ponies, so if it did not exist I wouldn't mind that at all. I never watched it and I never will. It's just my opinion.

As for the fandom, I think some things would change if EQG didn't exist. There would be no Sunset Shimmer fan-made creations, like fan-fics, art, and so forth, because there would be no Sunset Shimmer. The fandom wouldn't experience any severely negative changes though as far as I know of.

• Brohoof 1

I also doubt it would be much different. The purists who completely jumped ship after the EQG drama combined with the alicorn Twilight drama would've just left the fandom eventually anyways, citing a loss of interest as their reason. Still, I don't think this fandom would be the same without the new fans EQG brought in along with the new content it gave us to make something of, so I'm glad to look back and say that I'm glad the franchise was made. :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 1

Sunset Shimmer probably would never had been existed. There would still be some humanoid and anthro versions of the ponies but they would have looked differently that for sure

I don’t get why people hate Equestria girls. MLP exists as a commercial to sell toys, it’s not some grand secret and yet despite this people find any excuse to complain.

And let’s be honest, the fandom was far more idiotic over Twilicorn than it was over EQG1. To answer the question the fandom would’ve only thrown one tantrum if EQG didn’t exist. 

Friendship is Magic would have little to no difference if Equestria Girls didn't exist. However, there would be less people in the fandom, as some got into FiM thanks to Equestria Girls - including myself. One could even consider it more approachable than FiM.

5 hours ago, Cash In said:

Friendship is Magic would have little to no difference if Equestria Girls didn't exist. However, there would be less people in the fandom, as some got into FiM thanks to Equestria Girls - including myself. One could even consider it more approachable than FiM.

It wasn't something that pulled me in, for a number of reasons given the state I was in at the time, but I discovered I had favorited an E.G. Dash pic on Deviantart, years before I even knew who she was.

Even when I started finding out about all this stuff though, part of me wondered if it would actually be harmful to FiM (to my surprise I ended up liking E.G. after expecting to hate it). I even remember there being some backlash from haters, claiming that Hasbro created E.G. specifically to cater to the NSFW crowd who was already making humanized pony art.

Edited by bornAgainEquestrian