Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which episode(s) work best as an introduction for new fans?

TheAnimationFanatic

It depends on the person you're introducing the show to. If they are patient, I'll recommend them to start from the beginning and watch 4-5 first episodes before making any conclusions (that's how I got hooked myself). If they like a good laugh, I'll show them a Pinkie Pie episode (like Feeling Pinkie Keen or Baby Cakes). Some people are very impressed by epicness of the Twilight vs Tirek battle, so if spoilers are not an issue, this can the first step. Also, there a several musical episodes that can be the best choice for people who like great cartoon songs.

• Brohoof 3

The first episode. It's the one meant for introducing people to the show after all. 

4 hours ago, Oleks said:

Some people are very impressed by epicness of the Twilight vs Tirek battle, so if spoilers are not an issue, this can the first step.

I feel like this is a very poor choice. Not only does it set the wrong expectations for the series as a whole but it's also gonna ruin one of the best aspects of season 4, namely the mystery of the rainbow keys.   

• Brohoof 2

Season 1 e1 &2, nothing really happened for the rest of the season

Season 2 e1&2 , skip to season finale to watch bug queen getting blasted off team rocket style

Season 3 e1&2 skip to season finale to watch Twilight Sparkle messing with fabric of reality to become an alicorn princess

Season 4 the best  season tostart of, they replaced the tree library with the tree castle, and Twilight is a pony princess so all other episodes don't really matter before that don't really matter.

Season 5 the golden age of the show introduction of Starlight Glimmer.

I think that's how it goes.

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

If someone hates the first episode of season 1, they might hate the rest.

It's not that they weren't introduced to the better episodes first. The first episode introduces the core characters and pretty much the premise of the show.

Not necessarily true. There are some aspects of Season 1 that don't hold up as well compared to what came after. 

6 minutes ago, TheAnimationFana said:

Not necessarily true. There are some aspects of Season 1 that don't hold up as well compared to what came after. 

Of course I agree that the first episode or season 1 isn't the best episode or the best season of MLP. But like I said, it's probably the best episode to introduce MLP. It's designed specifically for that purpose.

MLP is also a series. I assume  that there will be no ground breaking complete confusion when someone breaks the chronological order when watching episodes. But if someone doesn't find any charm to continue to watch the rest of the series at the first place, that's just they don't like the show, and not because of the episode or the season isn't the best part. For example, just for the sake of making the point, if someone decides to walk out of the theater 10 minutes in the movie, that's just the person doesn't like the movie. And if someone is just stupid enough to be impatient just to risk excluding all their own potential pleasure, that's their loss and their decision. It's part of their taste.

As fans, we might want to show the finale of season 4 or sonic rainboom or luna eclipsed or season 5 finale and etc., but for the person who is first to the show, they will eventually watch all that if they like the show and continue to watch it. One of the reasons that some of the later great episodes work is because they were building up to that point.

• Brohoof 1

I'd argue the pilot does a pretty good job of establishing the show's general style and surface charms, and I personally think it holds up, even if it's not one of the best episodes. My go-to for this question has always been "Lesson Zero," because it's a particularly strong example of the show's capacity for absurdity as well as its unexpected character depth. "The Saddle Row Review" shows the characters well but deviates from the style, whereas "Horse Play" has many of the strengths of "Lesson Zero" but is slightly harder to understand in a vacuum. I think "Twilight's Kingdom" is actually a rather poor introduction, as it doesn't have much to do with the show's usual strengths. 

• Brohoof 1

I think there are conflicting desires Bronies have between wanting to spread the fandom and simply wanting non fans to stop dismissing it. If you legit want to get more people interested in the show then starting from the beginning is the only way to go. The other more humorous or audacious episodes people suggest only serve the second desire, since they risk setting up expectations that the rest of the series can't meet.

Edited by n1029
  • Brohoof 2

On 12/29/2018 at 11:48 PM, TwilySparky said:

I want to say Winter Wrap Up. Even the coldest hearts can absolutely love that episode.

This is actually the very first FiM episode I bumped into and watched, so I'll also say Winter Wrap Up. :P 

• Brohoof 2

After I discovered the show I recommended it to my brother. I started him with Lesson Zero (my first episode), Party of One and Friendship is Magic 1&2. All are great eps but he told me FiM 1&2 were the best to start with. So, taking it straight from someone who was introduced late in the game, start with the first two episodes of season one and take it from there.

• Brohoof 1