Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What was your experience with debate in school?

imawesome

Debate  

9 users have voted

1. 1. Did you debate in middle school?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Did you debate in high school?

• Yes
    • No

Just curious, have any of you ever done middle school or high school debate? 

I debated in middle school but not in high school. I remember I had a REALLY bad partner (she got the 138th speaker award out of 139), but she was generally a nice person. For the third tournament, she had to go to this church thing and so I got a much more fitting partner instead, and we got 4th place team. 

I also remember that our coach was also my math teacher and he was pretty strict, saying things like, "We're the best team, show them that" and constantly talking about how in the City Finals one of teams barely talked about Topicality and that was the reason the lost. If you DON'T do debate, I won't dig deep in my experiences, because you'd probably be lost. But I had lots of fun doing it and would love to hear about everyone else's experiences! 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

We had to debate in the last year of high school in groups of 4. two person against and two persons in favor. Our group had to debate about decreasing the legal age for alcohol to 16 (it's 18 now). My friend and I were against. I was really nervous before the actual debate but when it was my turn to speak I suddenly stopped being nervous and calmly explained all of my arguments.

• Brohoof 3

Took professional communications and had some debates. The teacher would always interupt being like "point of clarity this, point of clarity that." She was always interupting to try and make herself sound smart.

• Brohoof 1

I remember being a class in high school that required the students to take part in a debate. I don’t remember what class it was, though. I don’t even know if my high school had a debate team. It probably does have one. My high school had teams/clubs for literally everything.

• Brohoof 1

Debate was offered in high school, but I didn't take it. I took economics instead, which was quite easy since the teacher was also a baseball coach.... and it was baseball season.  :P 

Now that I think about it, there weren't enough students signed up for the debate class, anyway. 

• 4 weeks later...