Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Any character(s) you didn't expect to really glom onto?

Toastypk

With Season 8 being as bad as it was, and the introduction to the Friendship School as the main plot device with almost no interesting story whatsoever, I didn't expect to really like and enjoy the character Cozy Glow so much :oh_golly:

To be honest, I didn't really expect Rarity to be my favorite pony at first at all on the basis that I didn't feel like I "related" to her, but that definitely changed by the end of Season 2 - when I considered her among my Top 3 in the Mane 6 and later my favorite.

Trixie's an interesting case though, where I went from heavily disliking her around 2013-2014 (largely just on the basis of her being a character I didn't really care for yet being popular within the fanbase) to becoming one of my favorite characters of the show, especially after her friendship with Starlight Glimmer became prevalent following Season 6.

Shocked to see I posted in this topic before but didn't mention King Sombra. Still remember when I agreed that he was "worst villain" and was bewildered by all the comments I would read from his fans defending him. Then the comics made me one of his fans. :Tempest:

I did not expect liking Trixie as much as I do now. I was pretty neutral about her before, but I like her the more I think about her. Everything from her design to her voice to her personality works for me. She did lose a lot of her appeal once she became Starlight's sidekick, but she was probably the only consistently funny character in the last couple seasons so I guess even that's not too bad.

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently found myself relating to Scootaloo's struggles with the whole "can't fly" thing, but for a very different reason than most fans: My dreams have yet to be achieved* despite the fact that by all logic it should have been possible**.

* For all I've done to develop my skills, the high-tech engineering jobs I've been aiming at have been playing hard-to-get.

** Throughout MLP canon, there have been multiple examples of technology that could have helped Scootaloo get flying if she'd never be able to do so naturally, but nopony bothered to tell her that.

• 6 months later...

Hm... I liked most characters from the get-go and they are still my favorites. It only took me time to get used to Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, Rainbow Dash and Rarity. I don't enjoy characters who have an annoyed personality, I don't enjoy rivalry stuff and I never liked flirty characters. But that's the amazing thing about FiM, the characters aren't just tropes. Twilight wasn't used to friendship, she improved over time. From an annoying, unbearable character to a super cute, warm-hearted and mature one. Applejack had more to offer. Rarity is not only flirty and manipulative. I really enjoy the episode with her, where she goes to Manehattan with Maud and Pinkie. She even acts like Pinkie at one point and it was so fun! She can be silly, there is so much to her and everypony else! She is super supportive, kind. I dunno, the characters start to really shine and improve over time, they undergo an actual developement. Sometimes older experiences are referenced. It's just so good! :eager:

And that's why I only struggled with those 4 characters at first. The show was new to me and didn't know what to expect. Most shows don't even have fraction of what makes FiM so good. I even like characters that never talked, background ones. They don't need to talk, all the details and the depth and subtlety is enough to make them awesome characters! It's super easy to fall in love with all of them on first sight! :wub:

Rainbow Dash.  I hated her in the beginning, I think mainly cause I caught the show fresh after dealing with a narcissist in a relationship  in school, and Dash reminded me of it,  but I began to really like her after season 3 and now she’s my favorite.   

Rarity, Pinkie Pie, and Rainbow Dash, despite them not being relatable in any way to me. Pinkie was an interesting case: One. One episode (and I think it was Dragonshy) was all it took to quickly cement her as one of my top 10 favorite characters. 

As for EG, Sunset Shimmer and Sugarcoat.