Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My Little Pony is Getting a Manga!

Misty Shadow

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Yeah, surprisingly the manga was kind of amazing. This isn't a shot at the current show or anything, but it's been a loooooong time since I enjoyed something MLP related as much as this. So much of it just felt right

Spoiler

Literally, the only thing I can say I had an issue with was the fact that it reminded me 28 Pranks Later exists, and even then it’s more of a petty gripe than actual criticism, so I can excuse it(especially since the zombies are actually funny and used well here)

Edited by This Whomps

I just got the book today and read it tonight. Let me tell you, it was fantastic. Despite the energy I've consistently had for this book, I went into it open-minded to it turning out to be underwhelming and it ended up overwhelming me with awesomesauce. It was thoroughly endearing, almost every joke hit, and every reference, both to Western pop culture and to the fandom, was a gem. Dead serious, it spooked me how in touch the people behind this are with what MLP fans like. I'm not even that big of a fan of the background characters, and I thought the way they were incorporated into the story was spot-on. My absolute favorite reference was easily the one to SHED.MOV. I. can. die. happy. now. My only complaint was that even while Pinkie Pie was generally hilarious throughout, I did think to myself in disbelief at points, "IS SHE REALLY THAT STUPID?!". Regardless, this manga man, while I wouldn't call it better than my favorite arcs of the show's comics, I honestly feel it gave the show's comics in their general quality a run for their money. :yay:

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

I got it this today. Only read the first little story but it was great.

I'm confused though. I thought this would be the Japanese manga I heard about a few years ago. That was really cute but seemed really young. But this is obviously much newer. Spike has wings.

I'm not sure why this is called manga. It reads left to right and the author has an English name. What connection does it have to Japan?

Edit: This is what I meant: https://www.ponywiki.mlpwiki.net/wiki/My_Little_Pony_(Pucchigumi_manga)

Edited by Fluttershutter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 8/3/2020 at 10:38 AM, Fluttershutter said:

Probably discontinued as it seemed a less serious project. Never left Japan, only unofficial translations exist. Maybe they’ve realized a horse manga had potential, and led to what we have now. Overseas releases and shit :fluttershy:

edit: took another look, and that old manga seems to me more of a publicity of the brand rather than a work that stands on it’s own legs, judging by a promo of toys at the end. It’s likely also a publicity of a limited themed cafe they’ve opened back then :huh:

Edited by Steve Piranha
  • Brohoof 2

Did anyone read the second volume? I didn't enjoy it as much as the first, but I still found it to be very amusing, especially during a surprisingly dark moment when they went to a ponified French Revolution and Pinkie had to be saved from the guillotine. :ButtercupLaugh:

• Brohoof 1

47 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Did anyone read the second volume? I didn't enjoy it as much as the first, but I still found it to be very amusing, especially during a surprisingly dark moment when they went to a ponified French Revolution and Pinkie had to be saved from the guillotine. :ButtercupLaugh:

I got both mangas so far, but barely read a handful of chapters of the first. Work makes it difficult to read anything, AT ALL. I’m even behind horse comics. And I own plenty I have yet to read :dry:

7 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Probably discontinued as it seemed a less serious project. Never left Japan, only unofficial translations exist. Maybe they’ve realized a horse manga had potential, and led to what we have now. Overseas releases and shit :fluttershy:

edit: took another look, and that old manga seems to me more of a publicity of the brand rather than a work that stands on it’s own legs, judging by a promo of toys at the end. It’s likely also a publicity of a limited themed cafe they’ve opened back then :huh:

Okay, thanks. So the four pages are basically it?

It was really cute but a really young story.

2 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Yeah, I didn't think the second volume was as funny but still pretty good.

2 hours ago, Fluttershutter said:

Okay, thanks. So the four pages are basically it?

Try looking further in EQD. It got translated, and I’m sure it has way more pages. I Could be wrong tho :huh:. Hard to remember as it was a low key release back at Twilicorn and Pastel Human debut just came out 

45 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Try looking further in EQD. It got translated, and I’m sure it has way more pages. I Could be wrong tho :huh:. Hard to remember as it was a low key release back at Twilicorn and Pastel Human debut just came out 

Found it! 

I know I can't post the link but message me if you want it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh boy, here's a hot take...

I was never interested in getting the manga, but just tonight I had happened to read about it, specifically about the second issue... and after reading about its premise and characters, as weird as this sounds, it actually has me feeling bothered and uncomfortable. It feels so wrong for me to say this, but for probably the first time I'm actually... not a fan of some official* pony content. I don't mean the art or anything, the few images I've seen are well drawn and all. Specifically I'm talking about the whole time traveling pony from the far future thing, and the story, and the high amount of complicated time happenings involved. Reading about it left a... weird taste in my mouth, to be honest.

...the whole thing with the pony coming from the far future thing sets off a chain of thoughts in me that I'm not comfortable having. I don't really like thinking too heavily about futures, particularly with Equestria, especially if this is supposed to be a far off future. Makes it feel like everything has become determined, and having someone from the future come makes it seem like WE are the past, and.. well in general I don't like going down that thought train. I'm really more of an in-the-present guy when it comes to this show continuity. Even the future as shown in The Last Problem, I was feeling iffy with at first. Obviously it was very happy, and the episode was great, but I continue to see that episode as a glimpse, not a new starting point. And hey, the Season 10 comics are doing the same thing, starting right after the first sunrise of Twi's right.

Then I start to wonder how or even IF this manga is supposed to be connected to the actual show, because it's official*.  Is it supposed to be? Is just it its own thing?

The Transformers Pony comic started with a brilliant way of effectively saying "don't figure where this fits in, just enjoy it at face value." You think this manga is the same way? Is this supposed to be canon to the show? Is this something you can just enjoy at face value as its own thing, or even just not pay it any heed if you choose to?

I know I shouldn't be overthinking this,  sorry about this. But something about this all just rubbed me in just the wrong way to start down that train of thought.

This isn't at all supposed to be a slap in the face to anyone who likes it, but for me at least, this is the first time I've felt rubbed this way by an official* pony thing, when I know most people aren't going to be, and making me ask questions that I really don't need to, I felt like sharing my feelings about it. Any insight or input?

*depending on your definition of official, I guess. Maybe the word I'm looking for is licensed.

Edited by Toastypk