CloudMistDragon

My Little Pony is Getting a Manga!

(edited)

Yeah, surprisingly the manga was kind of amazing. This isn't a shot at the current show or anything, but it's been a loooooong time since I enjoyed something MLP related as much as this. So much of it just felt right

Spoiler

Literally, the only thing I can say I had an issue with was the fact that it reminded me 28 Pranks Later exists, and even then it’s more of a petty gripe than actual criticism, so I can excuse it(especially since the zombies are actually funny and used well here)

Edited by This Whomps

I guess this looks pretty neat. Is there a way to get it somewhere?

I just got the book today and read it tonight. Let me tell you, it was fantastic. Despite the energy I've consistently had for this book, I went into it open-minded to it turning out to be underwhelming and it ended up overwhelming me with awesomesauce. It was thoroughly endearing, almost every joke hit, and every reference, both to Western pop culture and to the fandom, was a gem. Dead serious, it spooked me how in touch the people behind this are with what MLP fans like. I'm not even that big of a fan of the background characters, and I thought the way they were incorporated into the story was spot-on. My absolute favorite reference was easily the one to SHED.MOV. I. can. die. happy. now. My only complaint was that even while Pinkie Pie was generally hilarious throughout, I did think to myself in disbelief at points, "IS SHE REALLY THAT STUPID?!". Regardless, this manga man, while I wouldn't call it better than my favorite arcs of the show's comics, I honestly feel it gave the show's comics in their general quality a run for their money. :yay:

(edited)

I got it this today. Only read the first little story but it was great.

I'm confused though. I thought this would be the Japanese manga I heard about a few years ago. That was really cute but seemed really young. But this is obviously much newer. Spike has wings.

I'm not sure why this is called manga. It reads left to right and the author has an English name. What connection does it have to Japan?

Edit: This is what I meant: https://www.ponywiki.mlpwiki.net/wiki/My_Little_Pony_(Pucchigumi_manga)

Edited by Fluttershutter

Badges

Which to buy first? The two volumes of this Manga, or the vol 1 omnibus of the FiM comic?

(edited)
On 8/3/2020 at 10:38 AM, Fluttershutter said:

Probably discontinued as it seemed a less serious project. Never left Japan, only unofficial translations exist. Maybe they’ve realized a horse manga had potential, and led to what we have now. Overseas releases and shit :fluttershy:

edit: took another look, and that old manga seems to me more of a publicity of the brand rather than a work that stands on it’s own legs, judging by a promo of toys at the end. It’s likely also a publicity of a limited themed cafe they’ve opened back then :huh:

Edited by Steve Piranha

Did anyone read the second volume? I didn't enjoy it as much as the first, but I still found it to be very amusing, especially during a surprisingly dark moment when they went to a ponified French Revolution and Pinkie had to be saved from the guillotine. :ButtercupLaugh:

• Brohoof 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Laugh 1

47 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Did anyone read the second volume? I didn't enjoy it as much as the first, but I still found it to be very amusing, especially during a surprisingly dark moment when they went to a ponified French Revolution and Pinkie had to be saved from the guillotine. :ButtercupLaugh:

I got both mangas so far, but barely read a handful of chapters of the first. Work makes it difficult to read anything, AT ALL. I’m even behind horse comics. And I own plenty I have yet to read :dry:

7 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Probably discontinued as it seemed a less serious project. Never left Japan, only unofficial translations exist. Maybe they’ve realized a horse manga had potential, and led to what we have now. Overseas releases and shit :fluttershy:

edit: took another look, and that old manga seems to me more of a publicity of the brand rather than a work that stands on it’s own legs, judging by a promo of toys at the end. It’s likely also a publicity of a limited themed cafe they’ve opened back then :huh:

Okay, thanks. So the four pages are basically it?

It was really cute but a really young story.

2 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Yeah, I didn't think the second volume was as funny but still pretty good.

Badges

2 hours ago, Fluttershutter said:

Okay, thanks. So the four pages are basically it?

Try looking further in EQD. It got translated, and I’m sure it has way more pages. I Could be wrong tho :huh:. Hard to remember as it was a low key release back at Twilicorn and Pastel Human debut just came out 

45 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Try looking further in EQD. It got translated, and I’m sure it has way more pages. I Could be wrong tho :huh:. Hard to remember as it was a low key release back at Twilicorn and Pastel Human debut just came out 

Found it! 

I know I can't post the link but message me if you want it.

Badges