Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Good Examples Of Bad CGI

Denim&Venöm

CGI has been a pretty mixed back for the better part of 40 years. It's either so seamless you don't notice it or so glaring that it's distracting. It's been a spectacular sight to behold and a sight that breaks the immersion. Some has aged well and others have aged like milk. And it always feels like the CGI is getting worse and worse each year. 

But what are some examples in film or TV where the CGI isn't on par, but it still contributed in it's own way? Or where the CGI went for a less real or life like approach and instead opted to make something more fantastical and out there. 

My example for the former would be the sci-fi show Babylon 5. Great graphics, for 90s TV. People say they haven't aged that well, looking more like PS2 cut scenes. But I think it makes the action scenes even more vibrant and spectacular, as more realistic graphics and camera motions would've slowed things down and made things less dynamic.  

And the second would be from Courage the Cowardly Dog and how that show used "bad" CGI to make things more unsettling and surreal. 

Your turn. Any CGI that isn't the best, but still works? 

EDIT: I don't mean pointing out examples of CGI that's just plain bad. I'm referring to CGI that hasn't aged well but still looks cool or bad CGI being used in a creative way. 

• Brohoof 4

Stargate SG-1, the Asgard race when they were 3D generated instead of puppets (in the ending of season 4, and onward if I remember correctly):

While the 3D worked, they didn't look as cute as the puppets. You could see the 3D clearly, with the low quality textures of that time. But it was acceptable for a show so ridiculously hilarious and serious at the same time.

The puppets looked really sad and cute, and very slimy. The 3D looked more old person, flat face, and specular light instead of slimy.

If you haven't watched this show, there are 10 seasons of awesomeness.

• Brohoof 2

37 minutes ago, Kiryu-Chan said:

Obligatory Black Panther fight scene

Even people who liked the movie vehemently dislike the CGI

This was an inevitability, truly; considering how high production values of Marvel films typically are, it is genuinely surprising how poor the CGI was in that sequence.

Since Black Panther was brought up, however, I believe DC deserves mention for... not exactly stellar CGI as well.

No hyperbole, Steppenwolf looks as though he was plucked from a video game trailer.

Spoiler

The fact that this film had an estimated 300$ million budget never ceases to befuddle me.

• Brohoof 1

39 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I may get some heat for this but I always thought "ReBoot" looked pretty bad even by TV animation standards.

No way man. It was the VERY FIRST. So yeah, it looks terrible.

But it was a really big stepping stone. And I love it! X3

latest?cb=20080110162108

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 3

I’ve seen loads of bad CGI used in movies, but this is just embarrassing.

When they run towards the green screen and cast no shadow beneath them. :laugh:

It still works for this movie as everything about it was bad.

Edited by Flutterstep
  • Brohoof 1

54 minutes ago, Flutterstep said:

I’ve seen loads of bad CGI used in movies, but this is just embarrassing.

When they run towards the green screen and cast no shadow beneath them. :laugh:

It still works for this movie as everything about it was bad.

The only thing good about that movie was the ending credits because you knew that the movie was over.

Edited by Twilight Luna

8 hours ago, Quinch said:

No mention of CGI Inspector Gadget?

I've seen better emoting on a General Motors assembly line.

I can see the future: MLP G5! See how much expression you can get with just basic 3D shapes and a lot of bloom effect!

• Brohoof 1