Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

animation Dragon Ball: Broly’s new VA confirmed

Luigi

After the unpleasant events early this year at Funimation, it seems like the beloved Dragon Ball character Broly has finally found a new voice actor. Johnny Yong Bosch, a VIZ Media voice artist who is credited in roles such as Jojo’s Bizzare Adventure, Power Rangers, Bleach, and Devil May Cry, will be replacing Broly’s long time voice actor Vic Mignogna, who was fired from Funimation in February on allegations of sexual misconduct. Bosch is not a well known name at Funimation as he is at VIZ, where strangely enough Mignogna is still employed, but I know enough to say that Funimation picked a good replacement. Any thoughts on this? Feel free to comment, but please keep VicGate drama outta here. I don’t want to call the mods to break up anything

• Brohoof 4

Johnny's probably my favorite voice actor overall honestly...between Lelouch from Code Geass & Nero from Devil May Cry (two of my favorite characters ever), as well as Izaya Orihara, Ichigo Kurosaki, Kaneda (Akira), Jonathan Joestar and more, I think he's a great replacement.

• Brohoof 3

2 minutes ago, Zero said:

Johnny's probably my favorite voice actor overall honestly...between Lelouch from Code Geass & Nero from Devil May Cry (two of my favorite characters ever), as well as Izaya Orihara, Ichigo Kurosaki, Kaneda (Akira), Jonathan Joestar and more, I think he's a great replacement.

He really is a great choice, plus Vic Mignogna is almost 60. He was getting a little old anyway

• Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, Eren Jaeger said:

He really is a great choice, plus Vic Mignogna is almost 60. He was getting a little old anyway

Goku’s Japanese voice actor is 83. But from what I’ve been told, Japan just doesn’t tend to “replace” voice actors. It’s yours for life basically. Or so I’ve heard.

With Goku being voiced my a granny, I’m inclined to believe it.

• Brohoof 1

This means Broly is coming back again. I wonder how long it will be until I get to watch Dragon Ball again. Either they are working on a new movie in secret, or the TV series might come back when the time slot appears on TV again.

Johnny Yong Bosch is a pretty solid choice given his extensive resumé. To me, it's his work on Power Rangers that I remember the most.

• Brohoof 4

1 hour ago, Sherem said:

meh, for me dragon ball ended at the buu saga...

For me, Dragon Ball started with Dragon Ball Super Episode 5 :crackle:

3 minutes ago, fare67t said:

Isn't there already videos of the english dub of that movie? there's a video on YouTube of all the Broly x whatever the green alien girl's name is moments 

The English dub of the movie has Vic Mignogna in it, I am pretty sure.

Which means there will be more Broly in the future if they got a new voice actor.

• Brohoof 1

Nice to see Mignogna getting at least some retribution for what he did.

Anyway, what exactly is Bosch replacing him for? Wasn't the Dragon Ball Super Broly dubbed a long time ago?

I only know Bosch from playing Vash in Trigun. Vash is a total goofball, so it's hard for me personally to make a connection to Broly. However, one could have said the same about Mignogna, who was mostly known for playing Edward Elric. So I'm sure he'll do just fine.

• Brohoof 2

Bosch is most memorable to me for playing Yu Narukami from Persona 4. 

I got jokes, he’s the protagonist, and while he’s got a couple of one liners, he barely speaks. I mostly know him as LeLouch, a Power Ranger, and a Joestar.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Envy said:

Nice to see Mignogna getting at least some retribution for what he did.

Anyway, what exactly is Bosch replacing him for? Wasn't the Dragon Ball Super Broly dubbed a long time ago?

I only know Bosch from playing Vash in Trigun. Vash is a total goofball, so it's hard for me personally to make a connection to Broly. However, one could have said the same about Mignogna, who was mostly known for playing Edward Elric. So I'm sure he'll do just fine.

2 hours ago, fare67t said:

Isn't there already videos of the english dub of that movie? there's a video on YouTube of all the Broly x whatever the green alien girl's name is moments

Its for a Dragon Ball video game. Vic already had lines recorded as Broly, but Funimation probably needed someone sooner than later to record more lines after he was fired

I wondered if Chris Sabat would take over, but I know he's already so busy with other things across Funimation's lineup of anime. Johnny Yong Bosch is alright, I'm eager to hear how he sounds as Broly. Should be interesting.

• Brohoof 2

12 hours ago, TheAnimationFanatic said:

The man was nearing 60 years of age. He wouldn't have been able to play the part of Broly much longer.

I’ll say it again: Goku’s Japanese voice actor is 83.

60 ain’t nuthin’.

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, JingLBabe said:

I’ll say it again: Goku’s Japanese voice actor is 83.

60 ain’t nuthin’.

And she is really good at it too!

Edited by Splashee
  • Brohoof 2

5 minutes ago, Splashee said:

And she is really good at it too!

Ehhhhh... it’s a taste I have yet to acquire. But that’s not gonna stop me from admiring her! She seems like an awesome lady, that Masako! :squee:

Edited by JingLBabe
  • Brohoof 2

33 minutes ago, JingLBabe said:

Ehhhhh... it’s a taste I have yet to acquire. But that’s not gonna stop me from admiring her! She seems like an awesome lady, that Masako! :squee:

lol yeah, I'm too used to hearing Sean Schemmel as Goku, so hearing some granny do it is off-putting.

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, Olly said:

How could they replace viktor magnolia with ichigo from bleach? you fired a guy based on hearsay 

Allegations alone are enough to have someone punished. Remember when Quarterback Tom Brady was suspended despite there being no evidence he was actually involved in deflating footballs? Same basic principle

7 hours ago, Eren Jaeger said:

Allegations alone are enough to have someone punished. Remember when Quarterback Tom Brady was suspended despite there being no evidence he was actually involved in deflating footballs? Same basic principle

Well that’s a SUSPENSION. He got to keep his job. Vic got fired.

I’m torn here. On one hand, it’s not right that all that your life can be ruined by rumors. Vindictive people can and will lie about you just to see you suffer.

Did that happen this time? Maybe, maybe not. But it DOES happen and it’s repulsive.

On the other hand, I do support the policy that workplaces can fire you for any/no reason, just like how you can quit for any/no reason. That’s, well, business.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, TheAnimationFanatic said:

Also, Vic hasn't exactly done himself any favors with his response. 

Nope. Sure hasn’t. Just because there’s no evidence against him doesn’t make it easier to prove he’s being defamed

• Brohoof 1