Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Things you say differently despite where you live?

Muffinnz

I say 'trash' instead of 'rubbish', and I use y'all sometimes in sentences without realising it (both Americanisms, I'm English). I also pronounce the word "scone" as 'scon' rather than 'scoan' which is atypical for someone from the south of England, which I put down to my mother's influence (she grew up in the Midlands and has always said it that way).

• Brohoof 1

• 6 months later...

i don’t sound as texan as everyone else around me. well, sometimes it does come out, but not most of the time. :lie: i do say “y’all” a lot! 

Edited by Kn0xDaF0x

Americans tend to have a different system that they use for things such as a 12 hour clock or the metric system compared to the rest of the world. I tend to use both interchangeably (like a Canadian). Also, I took one of those geography of my vocabulary tests and the results suggested Northeast Megalopolis (where I live) but also costal California for some reason.

I live on Earth, however, I try to speak correctly and logically. I say "next weekend" when I refer to the Saturday and Sunday that is coming up. For example, if it is Friday, the 7th, then Saturday the 8th is next weekend, because it is logical and true. Alarms don't go off, they go on. 

Born and raised in Texas so I'm pretty Southern, but there's a few speech habits such as pronouncing the WH sound in words like HW (HWere, HWen, HWale, etc) and for some reason I sound a little Irish (for example I pronounce "days" like "dehs") also apparently "pecan" around here is pronounced like pee-can and not p'cawn :blink:

I don’t really say much that would be considered unusual for any locality. I do often spell things the ‘English’ way though, like using two Ls for words like ‘Travelling’ instead of the American version, ‘Traveling.’ 

• Brohoof 1

I tend to not adhere myself to "murican" English. The generalization of it is frustrating to me, so I avoid it. Especially considering different states will have different accents and pronunciations as well so...I don't see the point of such a broad term. 

One example for me personally is that I pronounce herb as it is spelled. Also I don't know how uncommon this is but I pronounce iron as "eye-run" instead of "eye-urn". Urn and Run are just two letters flipped so that's a surprisingly interesting way of putting it, I realize. 

• Brohoof 1