Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Things you say differently despite where you live?

Muffinnz

I say some words differently then others despite that my home is in America, although I've been outside the US for really long periods of time before.

I say kilometer like (kilo meter) with the "o" pronounced as "ow" and the first "e" in meter as a long "ee"

I used to spell "theater" like "theatre" but I still sometimes do despite living in America

Also sometimes center like "centre" but not always

I pronounce "aunt" as "aant" not the one that means a insect despite living in America

I have a hard time pronouncing jewelry

Everyone pronounces envelope as (an-vol-ope) I say with the "e" sound at the beginning because that is just how it is written

Am I just stupid?

Edited by Muffinnz
  • Brohoof 2

Not stupid just different speech pattern. Hell, I have a slight accent, so almost every word I'd say may sound wrong to a English speaker. 

• Brohoof 1

Here in Southeast Michigan we call a sliding glass patio door a Doorwall.

envelope = "N"-vel-ope

aunt = ant

Pontiac = pon-"E"-yak

to = tuh

mirror = meer

Toyota = Tie-yota

Port Huron = Port Here-on

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 2

I used to say things in a more British way, or just with Swedish accent. But I am almost a complete American now, making every word pronounce as correctly as possible. A challenge that have led me to be less unique, but oh well.

• Brohoof 2

I do the envelope and the aunt ones. Also, everyone in my hometown grew up calling the game four square “box ball” even though all the nearby towns thought we were crazy. :umad:

42 minutes ago, Super Splashee said:

I used to say things in a more British way, or just with Swedish accent. But I am almost a complete American now, making every word pronounce as correctly as possible. A challenge that have led me to be less unique, but oh well.

But British English is equally correct, if not more so! And Swedish accents are cool! :LunaMCM:

• Brohoof 2

5 minutes ago, Cagey said:

But British English is equally correct, if not more so! And Swedish accents are cool! :LunaMCM:

I know, but it is too late now! I have already forgotten how it sounds like to speak my own language :BornAgainBrony:

• Brohoof 1

Instead of pronouncing "aunt" like "ant" I pronounce it like "ont" ("awnt") I don't know why. xD

Just now, Gaines said:

Instead of pronouncing "aunt" like "ant" I pronounce it like "ont" ("awnt") I don't know why. xD

If you've ever seen an Auntie Annie's, I call it "awntie awnie's"/"onntie onnie's"  :P

• Brohoof 2

14 hours ago, Muffinnz said:

I pronounce "aunt" as "aant" not the one that means a insect despite living in America

Me too, but it's the norm in New England.

14 hours ago, Muffinnz said:

Everyone pronounces envelope as (an-vol-ope) I say with the "e" sound at the beginning because that is just how it is written

I think it's really weird when people say it like onvelope. It's pretty common for people to pronounce it how it looks where I'm from.

I live in Maine but I don't have a Maine accent at all. I'm pretty different from typical Mainers in just about every way.

Edited by BlankFlank777
  • Brohoof 1

I pronounce Secaucus New Jersey differently than most people that live near me. My mom and dad were both born and raised there. I pronounce it the way they do. Natives say it differently than people that don't live there, if if they are good normal new Jersey people!

54a8664604aa96b76845f0fcd5c0fce5--new-jersey-quotes-jersey-city.jpg

3946928759d9995acc8441bb8073e6c8--girl-dorms-girl-dorm-rooms.jpg

18 hours ago, Cirrus. said:

envelope = "N"-vel-ope

aunt = ant

Pontiac = pon-"E"-yak

to = tuh

mirror = meer

Toyota = Tie-yota

Port Huron = Port Here-on

Besides the last 3 we say everything the same. 

From Chicago.

I know here, for the accent, we say “duh” instead of “th” the.

Personally, I work on pronouncing the “th”

• Brohoof 2

I say pert near which means pretty near I say bat-try which is battery, hmmm prolly a bunch of... Oh yeah duh I say "prolly" as well! All I can think of for now!

It would be useless for me to make a list because you won't be able to "hear" the difference but in France we have some strong accent and some region have a second language like in Bretagne or in Marseille, those langage are not very widespread inside and outside of the region.

Per exemple, in French to say "The weather is cold" you say "Le temps est froid" 
This sentence in Breton looks like "Yen eo an amzer"

So yeah the difference is HUGE :blink::laugh:

• Brohoof 1

When I was in school, I noticed that I pronounce “root” like “rut” when it came to figuring out the square root math problems. 

• Brohoof 1

the other day my friends and i were talking about how there are so many ways of saying "rubbish," "trash", and "garbage."

in australia, most people say rubbish but i've always said garbage

For some reason, I can't stand it when people say, 'I'm like,' or 'be like,' instead of 'I said'. People didn't do that twenty years ago, that's for sure. Does anyone else notice that or am I just weird? :huh:

• Brohoof 1

As a very casual greeting, I usually say "a'ight?" (with a small reverse nod) which is basically, "alright?". Which in turn, is a casual form of "How do you do?".

I say "Tah very much!" as a very casual way of saying thank you.

I also say "Aye" (pronouncing it as eye) as a very casual way of saying "yes"

I also say "Nah!" as a casual way of saying "no".

Then there are times when I say "Me-self" rather than "myself".

Most of these were mostly born from a mixture of creative expression, past environments and playfulness. At my very core, I am rather formal with my speech and really polite. So the differences don't really show, unless in casual company.

On 5/7/2020 at 6:43 PM, Le Trotteur Sauvage said:

It would be useless for me to make a list because you won't be able to "hear" the difference but in France we have some strong accent and some region have a second language like in Bretagne or in Marseille, those langage are not very widespread inside and outside of the region.

Yeah, here in germany, it is almost the same. For example, in my region (the rhineland) we say "Ich möchte ein Brötchen kaufen" (I want to buy a bread roll), but in bavaria, they say "Semmel" instead of "Brötchen". Or when you greeting someone, in bavaria, they say "Servus", in north germany, they say "Moin" and in my region, they say "Hallo" or "guten Morgen/Tag/Abend" (like most parts of germany I guess). Also some letters are different. In my region, when we say China or Chemie (Chemistry), we pronounce the CH as a tsch (Tschina or Tschemie) while the people in Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg say Kina or Kemie. 

What also often happen is that I use instead of a "s" the letter "t" like "wat" and "dat" instead of "was" and "das" (what and this) because this is the typical rhenish dialect. I also often use other words or phrases from the rhineland (mostly from the colognian dialect). 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

I feel like my native language is slowly dying out, which I find very sad. Most people I know or meet do everything in english and use anglicisms all the time. In an ironic way, I prefer to be online and write in english, because most people here are loyal to their native language and I simply don't face such problems here.

I'm just saying this, because I talk differently compared to most people here. I don't use anglicims or vulgar words and I don't share the dialect of older people. I just love the german language, high german, that's all. :coco: At least I can enjoy the language in Nintendo games and FiM to the fullest, because they use it perfectly! :wub:

• Brohoof 1