Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private The Æther Project

Illiad Easle

@Califorum

Zest nodded, "It was quite the effort to build, ten thousand engineers and researchers oversaw its design and construction. At maximum efficiency we could likely hold a million ponies on board. Right now we've only got about 150 thousand, with more coming every cycle."

A sound rang out across the upper deck, "Speaking of which, looks like the cycle's ending early. We've got to get off the upper deck, you don't want to risk getting thrown off when we move."

Zest would lead them to the interior portion of the upper deck, "Convenient enough, I can show you the performance stages while we're here. Our main one is a replica of the famous theater of Las Pegasus, a triple decker situation where the upper stages can be lifted away to give all the seating a view of the grand stage, where we have most of our group performances, plays, and opera. I assume you're typically a solo act? Maybe with audience participation? You might be best suited for the smaller stages. Smaller crowd, but the audience is closer and can more easily interact."

They entered one of the stage areas, empty, and Zest took a seat while motioning for the others to do the same. "You'll want to be sitting down for this."

@Kujamih @C. Thunder Dash

The minotaurs gave Light quite the strange look, ""This whole place was designed with the express purpose of keeping him from interfering. If he could change a book, he could just as easily bring the whole project down. And besides, individuals are far more opinionated than books. Furthermore, it is the purpose of a well written book to be clear in what it portrays. alternative opinions have no place in a scientific description of events.

The deputy minotaur sighed, "Regardless, we should keep moving, we aren't accomplishing anything here." He turned to Thundy, "We're about to start a new cycle, one way you can be very useful is being in an observable room what that happens. If we're lucky you'll feel something familiar that will be useful to our understanding of what is happening."

An even tone sounded in the research area, and the receptionist minotaur started packing away the things on his desk. "Better hurry boss, sounds like you've got fifteen minutes to half an hour."

The researcher nodded, "Come, quickly. Let's get you two sat down and monitored."

They would be led to a pair of rooms with a pane of glass between them. "If one of you could take a seat in each room, try to sit still for the next, oh, fifteen minutes, and let us know afterwards if you felt something familiar."

Each room had a few comfortable chairs in them, as well as a machine similar to the one they had been scanned with when they were brought to the lower levels.

@Windy Breeze

Gypsum came back with a tray right as an announcement came over the hidden speakers in the hallway: "The Æther Project will be cycling shortly. Please secure loose objects and take a seat. It's going to be a bumpy ride."

Gypsum smiled as she set the tray down in Serene's room, "You mind if I stay with you for the cycle? It's pretty jarring the first time. Especially since it isn't always done on the first go, and they can cycle a few times before they get to a safe enough spot to stand still."

She rushed to her room and returned with a container for the salad she had brought for him before handing him one of the rolls and storing the rest in an empty drawer. "You'll want to get comfortable."

Tables nodded, "That sounds like a good idea. I noticed they weren't very thorough when we came aboard, they may not have a good census of who's here. Maybe some families are already here together, and they don't even know?"

The same announcement as for Serene came over for them in the cafeteria, the cooks behind the counters hurrying to pack away any loose food items as the griffon came out with containers for their food, "Here, use these to keep the food from going everywhere, cycling isn't always a smooth process. Just stay seated and you should be fine."

@Blitz Boom

The older mare seemed quite charmed by Briar's words, "And polite to boot! I see the troubles below haven't stolen your kindness or tact like it has for many others. You can call me Prickly Pear."

She was cut off by a flashing light, "Looks like the cycle is starting early, come with me, we can wait it out together in the breakroom." She would lead the way to a smaller room off the side of the growing area where a few other ponies were seated on couches and chairs secured to the ground. Once inside Prickly turned her attention back to the pair, "This might take a bit, Whose that little one you've got with you? She seems awful shy."

@Jack Baker

(First person is a very rare perspective here in the forums, I'm even more intrigued.)

(Raze's sword would be returned to him, but his rifle and ammo would be secured with an image of his mark and he would be told that he could retrieve them if he ever were to venture outside the project.)

(Having a strong aura wouldn't flag him as a loyalist, but the scanner would likely comment that he had a potent aura, a rarity given some of the effects Discord had. If anything he seems the opposite of a loyalist.)

(Nothing really I can add to your post before the hook to the next act, good job on the introduction!)

The griffon came over to him after he attended to the other ponies in the room, bringing a container for the food Raze had gotten, "Here. this'll keep the food from flying when we cycle."

He gave a quick glance around the room, and satisfied that everyone present was ready, then sat down opposite Raze at the table. "That's quite the sword you've got there, you have it long? Or just pick it up recently?"

@Blitz Boom @C. Thunder Dash @Califorum @Jack Baker @Kujamih @Windy Breeze

About fifteen minutes after their respective alerts the project shifted suddenly in one direction, before lurching in another direction in a sensation that some would describe as like a slinky going down stairs. periods of weightlessness followed by sudden extra weight in a certain direction, before repeating a few times over. The calm periods lasted anywhere from a few minutes to several seconds.

Fifteen minutes later the movement of the project stopped, and an announcement came out, "Cycling complete. We've arrived over what looks like Minostralia."

@C. Thunder Dash @Kujamih

There was a subtle feeling to the movements of the project that they would be able to recognize as how it felt to move between worlds.

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

I looked at the container the griffon had given me, then back at the griffon. "You said what now...?"

That was about all I could get out before I felt a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach, followed by a sudden rising sensation. Realizing what was happening, I quickly scrambled to put the rest of my food in the container that was given to me as the feeling continued about a few more times, then ceased. Feeling slightly dizzy, I took a few deep breaths.

"Ugh... gonna have to get used to that." I sat back, staring at the ceiling for a bit, before I noticed the same griffon taking a seat in front of me. He complimented my blade.

"Oh, this thing?" I put a hoof over the scabbard. "Some blacksmith gave it to me as a reward for saving his family and forge from a bunch of raiders. Said it was one of his finest. He wasn't kidding." I smiled slightly. "Wonder how the guy's been doing..."

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

Serene smiled when he saw Gypsum enter the room. He left the door open so she could enter herself as he was laying on bed, starting at the ceiling. He was going to speak when an loud announcement interrupted him.

“What in the hay?” he listened to the accouncement, something about an event named Cycle which will give them a bumpy ride, which intrigued Serene and wondered if the city moves like a massive cloud above the sea.

2 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

Gypsum smiled as she set the tray down in Serene's room, "You mind if I stay with you for the cycle? It's pretty jarring the first time. Especially since it isn't always done on the first go, and they can cycle a few times before they get to a safe enough spot to stand still."

“Sure, I don't mind anyway, and I think having atleast one company is a good thing to have” he watched as the diamond dog left the room for a few seconds. He approached and picked up the trays and set it down on a tabl just as Gypsum came back some kind of containers. She spoke to him about the usage of the item and of the cycle while he listened and took one of the containers from her. Examining it, he commented “It looks pretty nifty I would say” he put his food inside his container “Let's stay on the bed while this Cycle occurs” he told Gypsum.

Soon, the cycle ended with another announcement, telling them they have arrived in a location called Minostralia. Serene let out a sigh of relief “Glad its over” he muttered.

Shadow Trail remained in her room, stitching her uniform using the thread she took from an abandoned boutique in a town, she has already done fixing Windy's uniform. The same announced reached her ears, making her pause from her work. Sighing, she stood up and put her Shadowbolt uniform inside the cabinet.

The cycle would soon end, and she would hear another announcement, telling her Æether has moved to another place.

“Minostralia, huh? It has been years since I visited that place”

Edited by Windy Breeze
  • Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle @Jack Baker

The thought of seeing my friends here In Æether gave me the feeling of hope. But that ray of hope was suddenly vanished when an announcement told us that Æther is going on a cycle. I become curious and wanted to ask Tables whether the place moves to other places when a griffin bringing some kind of containers approached us. Judging by the attire he wore, he's one of the members of the kitchen staff. He gave us containers for our move “Thank you” I watched as he moved approached another pony- or probably a zebra, his coat markings made him look like one. I heard Tables told me to stay in my seat, so I did.

It was very bumpy experience during the cycle. It was also my first which is why I gasped in surprise when everything becomes a bit jumpy, but it would soon end without any incident. My ears perked when announcement occurs, telling us we are now in Minostralia, which I guess is a location where minotaurs are the dominant race.

Edited by Windy Breeze
  • Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

On 2021-02-14 at 7:12 AM, Illiad Easle said:

The older mare seemed quite charmed by Briar's words, "And polite to boot! I see the troubles below haven't stolen your kindness or tact like it has for many others. You can call me Prickly Pear."

She was cut off by a flashing light, "Looks like the cycle is starting early, come with me, we can wait it out together in the breakroom." She would lead the way to a smaller room off the side of the growing area where a few other ponies were seated on couches and chairs secured to the ground. Once inside Prickly turned her attention back to the pair, "This might take a bit, Whose that little one you've got with you? She seems awful shy."

As they walked along to wait out the cycle - whatever that may be - Briar would respond to the mare's kind words. All the while Brittle would wander on the opposite side, to keep him between the two of them, with her head held low, and trying to vanish behind him. Which she couldn't really do, but she did her best.

"When I came wandering out of the jungle in which I spawned, I were alone, and uncertain of the world outside. A kind pony found me then, and took me under his wing. He used to tell me stories of his time, living among the higher standing beings of Canterlot, before eventually finding himself tired of their backstabbing and gossiping. He came to the jungle to live his last few years in peace, yet instead elected to take me in, and ensure I were prepared for the world outside. I have taken much in the way of speaking, and mannerisms from his teachings, as it seemed one way in which I could show him my respect, and gratitude.

Were it not for him, I have doubts that I would have fared as well as a did, when eventually I had to go and explore the world on my own. Admittedly, there have not been much room for long winded talking and mannerisms the last year, but it does feel good to have the breathing room to return to the norms again.

And in regards to Brittle, I am afraid that shy is not the correct word to use. Horrified, is more descriptive. It would take long to divulge the details, but suffice it to say that her early years have not been marred with positive experience of other creatures, and the last year have not helped her assumption that others wish only to hurt her. In time, she will hopefully feel better, but for the time being, I am afraid that she would not respond positively to a direct inquiry. She have also sadly been rendered mute the last four months, roughly. Even I haven't heard her voice since then.

If I may redirect the conversation, I wonder what this cycle you speak off are though? Nothing dangerous I ho-"

On 2021-02-14 at 7:12 AM, Illiad Easle said:

About fifteen minutes after their respective alerts the project shifted suddenly in one direction, before lurching in another direction in a sensation that some would describe as like a slinky going down stairs. periods of weightlessness followed by sudden extra weight in a certain direction, before repeating a few times over. The calm periods lasted anywhere from a few minutes to several seconds.

Fifteen minutes later the movement of the project stopped, and an announcement came out, "Cycling complete. We've arrived over what looks like Minostralia."

His long-windedness, and minor pauses between addressing certain subjects, to ensure that Brittle were feeling as comfy as she now could be, would mean he were talking up into the cycle happening. Something which would make him stagger, as if he had been drinking heavily. Even after it were over, he stood with shaking hooves, and tried to realign his senses again.

"T-That were... Quite unpleasant. Brittle, are you okay? Oh Earth Mother..."

He felt down with a vine, and found that where Brittle had stood, now were what could best be described, as a half meter cotton ball, bright green, with a tail made of varied corkscrews slacking down on the ground, and wrapping some times around his vine as it extended down. It smelled as if she were emitting some nauseating pheromone too, which made him feel somewhat queasy, but he couldn't wander off regardless. Painful, or uncomfortable as it were, she needed him more than normal, when she had a fear change like this. It might get to others within half a meter of her though, so best not to do that.

"Another fear response... Troubling development, yet unsurprising, from that cycle. Whatever it may be."

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

"Trixie finds this to be extremely marvelous and grand! Trixie is impressed by the construction of such a ship, one can do anything once one puts their mind to it!" Trixie exclaimed in relative amazement at the description of the vessel Zest spoke of. Before Maud seemed to hush her down as he spoke of having to move. Then they followed after him. Trixie continued to ramble on about how interesting this all ways before Spiral abruptly took forceful control.

"Trixie can do any performance really. But I must ask though, how did you get involved with the creation of this vessel? You speak of a grand story, yet where do you feature?" Spiral said pointing a hoof to them as they sat into the seats and held on, expecting there to be turbulence.

Maud stayed content with mere listening for now. She wasn't a talker. She was a listener.

On 2021-02-14 at 2:12 PM, Illiad Easle said:

@Califorum

Zest nodded, "It was quite the effort to build, ten thousand engineers and researchers oversaw its design and construction. At maximum efficiency we could likely hold a million ponies on board. Right now we've only got about 150 thousand, with more coming every cycle."

A sound rang out across the upper deck, "Speaking of which, looks like the cycle's ending early. We've got to get off the upper deck, you don't want to risk getting thrown off when we move."

Zest would lead them to the interior portion of the upper deck, "Convenient enough, I can show you the performance stages while we're here. Our main one is a replica of the famous theater of Las Pegasus, a triple decker situation where the upper stages can be lifted away to give all the seating a view of the grand stage, where we have most of our group performances, plays, and opera. I assume you're typically a solo act? Maybe with audience participation? You might be best suited for the smaller stages. Smaller crowd, but the audience is closer and can more easily interact."

They entered one of the stage areas, empty, and Zest took a seat while motioning for the others to do the same. "You'll want to be sitting down for this."

The minotaurs gave Light quite the strange look, ""This whole place was designed with the express purpose of keeping him from interfering. If he could change a book, he could just as easily bring the whole project down. And besides, individuals are far more opinionated than books. Furthermore, it is the purpose of a well written book to be clear in what it portrays. alternative opinions have no place in a scientific description of events.

The deputy minotaur sighed, "Regardless, we should keep moving, we aren't accomplishing anything here." He turned to Thundy, "We're about to start a new cycle, one way you can be very useful is being in an observable room what that happens. If we're lucky you'll feel something familiar that will be useful to our understanding of what is happening."

An even tone sounded in the research area, and the receptionist minotaur started packing away the things on his desk. "Better hurry boss, sounds like you've got fifteen minutes to half an hour."

The researcher nodded, "Come, quickly. Let's get you two sat down and monitored."

They would be led to a pair of rooms with a pane of glass between them. "If one of you could take a seat in each room, try to sit still for the next, oh, fifteen minutes, and let us know afterwards if you felt something familiar."

Each room had a few comfortable chairs in them, as well as a machine similar to the one they had been scanned with when they were brought to the lower levels.

@Windy Breeze

Gypsum came back with a tray right as an announcement came over the hidden speakers in the hallway: "The Æther Project will be cycling shortly. Please secure loose objects and take a seat. It's going to be a bumpy ride."

She rushed to her room and returned with a container for the salad she had brought for him before handing him one of the rolls and storing the rest in an empty drawer. "You'll want to get comfortable."

Tables nodded, "That sounds like a good idea. I noticed they weren't very thorough when we came aboard, they may not have a good census of who's here. Maybe some families are already here together, and they don't even know?"

The same announcement as for Serene came over for them in the cafeteria, the cooks behind the counters hurrying to pack away any loose food items as the griffon came out with containers for their food, "Here, use these to keep the food from going everywhere, cycling isn't always a smooth process. Just stay seated and you should be fine."

@Blitz Boom

@Jack Baker

(First person is a very rare perspective here in the forums, I'm even more intrigued.)

(Raze's sword would be returned to him, but his rifle and ammo would be secured with an image of his mark and he would be told that he could retrieve them if he ever were to venture outside the project.)

(Having a strong aura wouldn't flag him as a loyalist, but the scanner would likely comment that he had a potent aura, a rarity given some of the effects Discord had. If anything he seems the opposite of a loyalist.)

(Nothing really I can add to your post before the hook to the next act, good job on the introduction!)

The griffon came over to him after he attended to the other ponies in the room, bringing a container for the food Raze had gotten, "Here. this'll keep the food from flying when we cycle."

He gave a quick glance around the room, and satisfied that everyone present was ready, then sat down opposite Raze at the table. "That's quite the sword you've got there, you have it long? Or just pick it up recently?"

There was a subtle feeling to the movements of the project that they would be able to recognize as how it felt to move between worlds.

Light has sat down to the chair he was lead to and was waiting on what would happen....

"Hey... Is it happening now?.... I don't feel anything...."

But suddenly something happened to the airship they were riding...

"...... Hey minotaur.... What did you guys just do!?.... Was... Was that a mass teleportation!?.... And exactly where are we now!?"

On 2021-02-14 at 2:12 PM, Illiad Easle said:

@Califorum

@Windy Breeze

@Blitz Boom

@Jack Baker

@Illiad Easle @C. Thunder Dash

Light has sat down to the chair he was lead to and was waiting on what would happen....

"Hey... Is it happening now?.... I don't feel anything...."

But suddenly something happened to the airship they were riding...

"...... Hey minotaur.... What did you guys just do!?.... Was... Was that a mass teleportation!?.... And exactly where are we now!?"

• Brohoof 1

@Jack Baker

The griffon chuckled at Raze's reaction to the experience, "You do eventually get used to it over time, though we tend to get plenty of break between cycles depending on where we end up. Minostralia sounds pretty remote, so we'll likely be here a good few weeks before we need to move again."

He took a closer look at the sword, "That does look like a fine piece of work, a bit small for a griffon, did a minotaur make it for you? My sister was a blacksmith before this all went down... she didn't make it aboard, but her work ensured that many others had enough time to be rescued themselves."

@Windy Breeze

Gypsum looked a little woozy after it was over, but she shook it off easy enough, "I thought I'd be used to it after last time, I think that one was longer." She started taking the food out of the containers so they could eat together, "What do you like to eat? They don't often get gems up here given how hard they are to mine and how useful they are in other aspects than as food."

Shadow would find that there were a few other pieces of clothing tucked in the back of the drawer, maybe left by the previous occupant of the room? Nothing too distinctive besides a necklace with a pendant of a ruler, paintbrush, and quill set in a triple cross.

Tables looked very woozy after the cycle ended, laying her head down on the table, "Is that what it's like to fly? I miss the ground already."

@Blitz Boom

The other ponies listened intently to Briar's story until they were interrupted by the cycle, where they each gripped what they could to ride it out.

Once it finished they started getting back up to go to work, though Pear stopped them when she noticed the state Brittle was in, "Here, can't say I or anyone here knows much about changelings, we'll give you some space to take care of her, wouldn't want to make it any worse for her. Cycle's hard enough as it is for newcomers."

Pear would continue, "Can't say I know too much about the specifics, scientific, magical, or otherwise, but the cycle is how the Project gets to another place without anyone being able to follow us. They'll have to search the whole globe again if they want to find us."

@Califorum

Zest nodded, "Most anything indeed, that was what the group that built this was dedicated to before the Incident, pushing the boundaries of what is possible." When asked about his part in it all, Zest simply shook his head, "Oh no, I'm nothing special. Just like the two of you I was rescued by the project. I was lucky enough to only be hiding for a few months when I got picked up. I made a point to learn as much about it as I could, and I got assigned to helping others get situated, which I'm doing now."

Once the cycle was done he got up out of his seat to stretch, "Once you two have adjusted, I'd like to take a look at our new location, I've never been to Minostralia before."

The minotaur entered their rooms once the cycle was done, "I don't want to taint your results by explaining the process just yet. First, did you happen to feel anything familiar during the cycle? Any part of it remind you of another experience?"

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

"That is...interesting to say the least." Spiral said rather observantly as they both sat there. Maud and Trixie sat there feeling the whole place rumble and shake as the cycle went as it did. "I am going to guess, This ship lands occasionally to gather resources and others. Seeks out those to join its crew...am I correct?" Spiral would ask, turning her head to the side slightly as she spoke.

"It is logical if that would be the case. However I must ask, is there any chance at us....undoing the damage that was done to the land? Maybe....kill..." Maud spoke rather suddenly, coldly and let her words trail off there, letting Zest imagine the rest.

To that, Spiral and Trixie stayed silent.

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

"Nah, but I realize why you'd think that," I told him with a small laugh. "The smith was an earth pony, though I think he might have mentioned being trained by a minotaur at one point... nevertheless, the guy was pretty talented."

My ears perked up at the mention of his sister. "I'm... sorry to hear that. It's... tough being separated from the ones you care about, 'specially during times like this. Maybe she might still be out there? And if she is, maybe we'll find her."

I sighed. Despite everything I had just said, there was a part of me that doubted it. I'd seen it firsthand: nothing survives out there. If it wasn't for ponies like me, those who lent a hoof to protect whatever shard of civilization was left, I'm pretty sure there would be even less down there than there is now. And there weren't many of us to begin with; not everyone is suited to fighting off hordes of spawn, let alone wielding a blade...

Oh, come on, Raze. Now's definitely not the time to be thinking like that.

I stood up from my seat, taking the container of food with me. "Well, as much as I'd love to stay and chat, I oughta get going. Never really been to Minostralia before, and I'd like to get a look at this place myself. Then I gotta report for this combat training or whatever is... nothing I can't handle." I waved a hoof at him. "Oh, and if I ever get hungry again, I'll know who to come back to! Amazing stuff man, I swear." I walked back to my room and stored my food in a mini fridge I had found next to my bed, then decided to head over to that training I had heard about.

"Alright, where's that quartermaster..."

Edited by Jack Baker
  • Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

On 2021-02-18 at 6:32 AM, Illiad Easle said:

Once it finished they started getting back up to go to work, though Pear stopped them when she noticed the state Brittle was in, "Here, can't say I or anyone here knows much about changelings, we'll give you some space to take care of her, wouldn't want to make it any worse for her. Cycle's hard enough as it is for newcomers."

Pear would continue, "Can't say I know too much about the specifics, scientific, magical, or otherwise, but the cycle is how the Project gets to another place without anyone being able to follow us. They'll have to search the whole globe again if they want to find us."

"So the entirety of this establishment moved then? That would explain things well, without a need for the technical details on how they are accomplishing such a feat. It feels like quite a thing to get used to, but at least I know what to expect the next time. It may help alleviate the nausea, and temporary lack of direction.

I'm afraid it will be longer for Brittle, but her nerves are flayed rather thin, though you needn't worry of her. She'll revert soon enough, once she feels as if whatever danger might have been, have passed.

I'd also like to kindly thank you all for giving her space whilst this is happening. The less in close proximity to her under these episodes, the better. It warms my core that there is such considerate beings here."

This was not always something that happened, and especially not as Brittle's transformations were erratic, and often didn't make any kind of sense. It caused those of curious minds to gather up to learn something, and sadly, those sorts did not always understand the point in personal space. Some of them did not even do so, when asked politely, and had to be more forcefully told to please step back. It were a pleasant experience that thus far, it did not seem to be something which happened here, with these ponies. Earth Mother be praised for that. It would help with Brittle in the short term, and in the long term, might make it easier for her to try and trust them some. He could only hope that would be the case.

"I do hope it is not too much to ask, but might I please inquire how things normally goes here in the fields, beyond this cycle? It were a rather brief explanation we got earlier, and if there are for example, more seasonable plants to tend to, or times with a particular need for more brute force labor, it might be good to know in advance. Much as I enjoy working, it would be good to know if there were something I should plan ahead for, or which might be an issue that I could potentially offer a solution for. Up to and including insect infestation."

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

Serene was having his own headaches, literally. If rubbing his head counts as a hint. He immediately recovered just like Gypsum. He gave her small smirk when he heard her talk about having experiencee the circle in the past and not getting to use to it. Maybe he should put a reminder on the wall facing his bed for the future events.

On 2021-02-18 at 1:32 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"What do you like to eat? They don't often get gems up here given how hard they are to mine and how useful they are in other aspects than as food."

“Anything that an equine stomach can take” he told her, eyeing the one with the vegetables.

Shadow hadn't felt any side-effects of the circle, not feeling even a slight nausea or her eye vision rocking back and forth like a ship in a stormy sea. To her disappointment, she saw the cabinet door open with her uniform laying on the floor. She flew over to her uniform, picked it up, and put it back to cabinet.

To her surprise, there was some other clothing that doesn't belong to her and Windy.

Shadow would find that there were a few other pieces of clothing tucked in the back of the drawer, maybe left by the previous occupant of the room? Nothing too distinctive besides a necklace with a pendant of a ruler, paintbrush, and quill set in a triple cross.

The necklace, a pendant, paintbrush, and a quill set in a triple made her feel the room already belongs to somebody else. Maybe she should talk to that General Quarters again? She should take atleast one of the items but whoat should she bring?

She decided to pick the pendant, thinking the rest are common in the Æther. She took the room card, put the lanyard on her neck, and went of the room in search of the General.

"Is that what it's like to fly? I miss the ground already."

I lift an eyebrow at her “You haven't seen the outside world for years, do you?” I stood up. Bad idea when you're very dizzy. I stumbled back and forth, the world seems to spin around me as I utter out funny moans and other unintelligible noises before leaning on a table “Ow, my sides...”

• Brohoof 1

@C. Thunder Dash

The minotaur shook his head, "Maybe? We've had a few theories about how exactly the Æther has managed to survive as long as it has, one of those theories being that rather than teleporting around Equis, we were actually teleporting between several different Equis's moving into parallel worlds on account of somewhat different stories coming from the survivors we've found, most especially a discongruity on exactly how much time has passed since the incident."

He shrugged, "Your lack of a positive is hardly grounds to throw out the theory however, you're free to go if you wish, though I know a few other researchers who would be interested in studying your more unique abilities if you're interested?"

@Califorum

Zest snorted, "The Æther has never once touched land. It began as a cloud city, was assembled in the sky. But besides that you've got the right idea. The cycle is designed to take us somewhere random in Equis where it will take the spawn several weeks or months to amass in great enough density to pose a threat to us. Giving us time to send out ships to gather resources and occasionally encounter survivors. Given we never know where we'll end up, we always try to get as much as we can, when we can, as there's no telling how long it may be until we can gather supplies again."

Zest was leading them back to their room when Maud asked her question, a silver coated serious looking mare stopped in the hallway, "Were it possible to kill him... he'd already be dead."

Zest seemed spooked by the mare, "Apologies Mrs. Easle, they're new aboard, they didn't know."

The mare looked over the two with tired eyes before leaving without another word. Zest waited until she was out of earshot to resume leading them away, "That was Mrs. Easle, the wife of the late Consul Easle who... went missing... trying to do just that. He bought the Æther enough time to get away, but was ultimately unable to... er... let's move on, shall we? You two should rest up, you'll be needed before long."

@Kujamih

The minotaur looked more excited as Light started to respond positively to the test, then a look of horror grew as Light started to violently transform, (I assume with changeling magic given the image? Did you draw that yourself?)

He quickly called out to the hallway out of earshot and before long a pair of changelings came into the room doing their best to help Light get his sudden manifestation of magic under control, "Stress isn't going to help anyone mate, calm down!"

One dipped a cloth in a bottle of amber liquid and held it in front of Light's mouth, "Breathe, calm,"

The cloth smelled like honey and hazelnuts, but didn't restrict Light's ability to breathe. If he had experience he would recognize it as changeling emotion gel.

@Jack Baker

On 2021-02-18 at 1:07 AM, Jack Baker said:

My ears perked up at the mention of his sister. "I'm... sorry to hear that. It's... tough being separated from the ones you care about, 'specially during times like this. Maybe she might still be out there? And if she is, maybe we'll find her."

The griffon shook his head sadly, "No... My only regret is that there was no time for a proper funeral before we had to leave." He reached into his plumage and pulled out a feather connected to a chain on his neck, it was distinctly a different color from the rest of his feathers, "Until then, I'm able to at least keep her close." He stowed the feather away as Raze prepped to leave, "I'll leave you to it then, don't forget to rest up too, you won't be much help to anyone if you're too tired to stand."

Nonetheless he would return to his post.

In Raze's room there wasn't too much room in the mini fridge, it was pretty small, but most of what he had would be fine for a few days outside of a fridge anyway.

Raze would be able to follow the maps or his memory to where the armory was on his tour, the diamond dog quartermaster was at her desk doing paperwork when he came in, "Another one?" She looked up and gave him an appraising look, "No... you're one of those who was used to the wilderness before the incident, can't be happy sitting still can ya? Take a seat," she motioned to a chair opposite her at the desk, "Tell me, what are you good at, any experience in the military or equivalent?"

@Blitz Boom 

On 2021-02-19 at 3:27 AM, Blitz Boom said:

"So the entirety of this establishment moved then? That would explain things well, without a need for the technical details on how they are accomplishing such a feat. It feels like quite a thing to get used to, but at least I know what to expect the next time. It may help alleviate the nausea, and temporary lack of direction.

Pear nodded, "Typically we get a bit more warning before the cycle occurs, but sometimes they come on us faster than usual. Last time we had an hour to prepare so we could all get to our rooms before it happened, that might make it more comfortable for her."

I'd also like to kindly thank you all for giving her space whilst this is happening. The less in close proximity to her under these episodes, the better. It warms my core that there is such considerate beings here."

Everyone smiled at that, "You don't survive this long by being bitter and lacking empathy. Those types all fell in with the loyalists, only the best of us get up here, working together is the least we can do."

"I do hope it is not too much to ask, but might I please inquire how things normally goes here in the fields, beyond this cycle? It were a rather brief explanation we got earlier, and if there are for example, more seasonable plants to tend to, or times with a particular need for more brute force labor, it might be good to know in advance. Much as I enjoy working, it would be good to know if there were something I should plan ahead for, or which might be an issue that I could potentially offer a solution for. Up to and including insect infestation."

One of the other ponies stepped up, an earth pony who looked more at home in an office than a field. He looked over a clipboard, "That's my job I suppose. Each cycle we rotate the fields after the harvest, the top most growing layer gets dumped, each of the other layers move up, and we get a fresh layer of new earth from wherever we've found ourselves. Then we get the new crops planted, even with all of us that's a good few days to plant the whole area. Here on the bottom layer especially, we get the fresh dirt, and we also get the more experimental crops. Between what we gather from below and what the researchers come up with we have to try and see if they can be grown sustainably as a new principal crop for the project. So we grow all sorts of things here while the other layers grow mostly one crop each."

@Windy Breeze

Gypsum rolled her eyes, "That's hardly an answer! I want to know what you really like, they have a good selection here and I don't want to waste your time with foods you don't like when you can be enjoying foods you do! I really like cheese myself, there's a good number of cows on the project, so cheese isn't too hard to get, however they don't have a lot of options."

Shadow wouldn't get far in her search, wouldn't even be able to leave her room as as soon as she opened the door a young filly would dash past her into the room and open the drawer that Shadow had found the pendant in, digging through it before taking notice of Shadow herself in the room, "Oh! um, sorry... You didn't happen to see a necklace in here did you?"

(Tables came on the project at the same time Windy did) Tables notice that her prosthetic had gotten dislodged and she had started bleeding from her stump, "Darn, I had hoped it would last me a bit longer, but maybe they can give me a real good prosthetic here?" She seemed torn between eating more and going to the infirmary, "Since the food is already packed up, you think you could give me a hoof to get to the infirmary? I think we can take the food with us."

@Illiad Easle

"Oh? I wouldn't mind showing my abilities to other researchers...well...as long as they won't extract anything from me." Thundy stated. "Could you maybe direct me to where they are?" He asked looking at the minotaur. 

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

Maud would silently nod to what the other mare had said and stood up and looked her in the eyes with an intimidating yet, calm glare. Trixie got up as well and thought about what was just said. "Trixie thinks that is a rather good plan to avoid the hellspawn of...y-yeah! Trixie hopes more can be rescued." Maud would gesture to Trixie that they should probably have gotten going and they watched as the other mare left. Trixie then jittered a bit, taking upon more of a stoic stance as she glared to Zest.

"Already got a plan for that. We evacuate this planet and flee into another dimension. If we do that in an area where...the Spawn will not know of our plan to do so, they will not be able to come through a dimensional rift and catch us, don't you think? I mean just looking down at the surface just gives me little to no hope in the continued survival of intelligent life on this planet." Spiral said thoughtfully.

"Drop a rock into water...it will ripple." Maud said to Spiral, as if some sort of warning. 

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

Seeing the diamond dog unsatisfied with his answer, he decided to give her a more clearer respond “Is there any celery and mayonnaise? I think cheese with sandwich is enough if there is no celery and mayo” he likes celery, and so is mayonnaise. If given the chance, Serene will apply mayo to a celery before giving it a crunchy chomp.

Just as Shadow unlocked the door, it suddenly swing at her, missing her muzzle by an inch. But despite of her shock, she was able to see a small figure move pass her in the corner of her vision. She glanced behind her.

It was just a filly, who looked in a hurry as she rummaged in the cabinet. Shadow frowned, why would she be doing that?

37 minutes ago, Illiad Easle said:

open the drawer that Shadow had found the pendant in, digging through it before taking notice of Shadow herself in the room, "Oh! um, sorry... You didn't happen to see a necklace in here did you?"

Her eyes widened with realization “Is this the pendant you're talking about?” she lifted her hopf to her mane, taking an item hiding inside the black mane before showing it the filly. It was a pendant, obviously.

Hearing Tables say something, Windy shook off the dizziness from her head.

39 minutes ago, Illiad Easle said:

"Since the food is already packed up, you think you could give me a hoof to get to the infirmary? I think we can take the food with us."

“Y-Yeah, sure” she moaned, holding her head with one hoof.

• Brohoof 2

@Illiad Easle

I raised a brow at what she had said. Another one? How many tried to apply for a combat role? Though I guess it made sense. Most who were rescued were probably angry and wanted to fight back now that they had the opportunity. Ponies and other creatures who lost it all, their loved ones and livelihoods. My mind wandered back to the griffon cook and the remnant he carried of his sister. Maybe he felt the same way. Maybe he didn't. At least he had the sense to not needlessly throw his life away by impulsively volunteering to fight. Seen too much of that in the wastes already...

I looked over at the chair, and slowly took a seat. The quartermaster proceeded to ask about my prior experience.

"Former Royal Guard, before the fall," I said, leaning slightly forward on the chair. "After the fall, I worked as a merc, driving off the spawn and various raider groups and loyalists. And well, if you couldn't already tell..." I motioned to the mark on my flank: two crossed swords.

"...Combat's kind of my specialty."

Edited by Jack Baker
  • Brohoof 2

@Illiad Easle ( yup.. barely post anything that isnt mine... Want me to draw something for ya? I hate machines though..unless you have something for me to copy)

As the changelings tried to relax Light

They've noticed that theres something familiar radiating from his body.... It was the presence of a stone absorbing magic.

Chrysalis's throne.

" Thanks for trying brothers... But I'm no changeling... I'm alright now..."

Edited by Kujamih
  • Brohoof 2

@Illiad Easle

4 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

Everyone smiled at that, "You don't survive this long by being bitter and lacking empathy. Those types all fell in with the loyalists, only the best of us get up here, working together is the least we can do."

"Ah yes, the traitors. Sadly some we've had the displeasure of meeting. I am not saying that their cowardice is not somewhat understandable, but it does not make me like them any more, nor regret treating them the way that I have.

I didn't kill any of them though. Earth Mother be praised, I have yet been required to go that far. But I have still been protective, and therefore, also rather direct with them, once it became clear that they would not listen to reason, and were clear threats to Brittle. Been nothing but an endless cycle of repelling and running ever since. Blessed be this place, where there is now finally room to breathe freely."

4 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

One of the other ponies stepped up, an earth pony who looked more at home in an office than a field. He looked over a clipboard, "That's my job I suppose. Each cycle we rotate the fields after the harvest, the top most growing layer gets dumped, each of the other layers move up, and we get a fresh layer of new earth from wherever we've found ourselves. Then we get the new crops planted, even with all of us that's a good few days to plant the whole area. Here on the bottom layer especially, we get the fresh dirt, and we also get the more experimental crops. Between what we gather from below and what the researchers come up with we have to try and see if they can be grown sustainably as a new principal crop for the project. So we grow all sorts of things here while the other layers grow mostly one crop each."

Briar heard the one one approach, and turned to face him. Seemingly some figure of authority here, judging by what he would assume were a clipboard in his hooves. Briar had sharp senses, but he were not perfect in his *sight*.  He could tell that there were a wooden rectangle in his hooves, and there were a distinct sound of paper, as well as a faint smell of ink that he could work with. Yet it may just as well be a serving tray with a printed piece of paper in, to lay between the tray and the food itself. He sort of had to work with what made the most sense currently.

"So we are standing upon the place where it all begins then? Fresh dirt, with new seeds which requires planting, and care? Several varied ones in fact, of which some are tests, and may be useful, if one can properly cultivate them?

Today is going to be a grand day indeed."

He were not being sarcastic here. Briar had a happy smile, and tone in his voice, as he heard about all the work that were required here, in what were essentially the beginning of any kind of farm season. Preparing the fields, sow the seeds, and ensure things were both taken care of, and if you grew multiple crops, attempt to keep things within their own areas, to not cause issues. Different plants tended to need different care after all.

"I can assure you that I mean that with gleeful anticipation, sir. I were raised doing work near constantly, and though I do not miss the metaphorical, and literal, chains, I do still find a longing to work. It fills me with purpose, I suppose you might say. However can I help first? If there are seeds which needs to be laid in rows, I can make use of my vines to make then, and plant the seeds within with ease. Perhaps you need a closed off area for some special crops, that needs to be build? If there are seeds which seems they may hardly make it in unfamiliar grounds, perhaps I could even help there? I have my ways of helping with such issues, in a limited scope.

However I may help the most, you need only ask, and it shall be done. And worry not if it takes a while. I much prefer a long day's worth of work, than lingering in a room. It is against my instincts to stagnate for too long."

Another reason why he had travelled so much. Sure he also wanted to try and find some way to get sight - at some point by finding Discord, and beg of his assistance, but that were not happening now - and wished to experience the world he had been banished into, but truly, he were also motivated by having a hard time simply being idle. He had to move around, or at the very least work, to feel at ease. A side effect of both his upbringing, which had gotten him used to keeping active and working for even a sliver of appreciation, and what his subtype were. Vinemasters tended to be hard workers, that rarely didn't have something to do. And while he may be a mutation of them, he were at heart, still of their branch, no pun intended.

• Brohoof 2