Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private The Æther Project

Illiad Easle

@C. Thunder Dash

The main minotaur was mostly distracted by Light's sudden violent transformation, but another researcher came over to tend to Thundy, "Well, I suppose they could be convinced to not extract anything for now, but I'm sure they would like to see how your blood and cellular structure compare to normal griffons at some point. For now though, if you could follow me to another room so we can evaluate your abilities."

The other researcher, a unicorn, would lead the way into another room where a more complicated sensor array lined the walls, "These panels are used to measure conventional magic, strength, type, and effect. I'll assume you're magical pathways are not identical to a typical griffon's as you have casting potential, so we'll also try to do a scan of those if that's alright?"

The unicorn would step into an adjacent room, "If you could go through your abilities by first explaining what ability you will demonstrate and then demonstrate it, trying not to damage the sensor arrays, and give us enough time between abilities to take notes, that would be wonderful."

@Califorum

Zest snorted at Spiral's suggestion, "Other worlds? As much as I'd like to think there's a better place out there where they didn't suffer like we did... I don't think it's reasonable to think we could somehow get there. Besides... then there'd be two of everyone! Overcrowding would be rampant not to mention the racial barriers the incident forced us to overcome may not also be overcome in that new world."

He shook his head, "Besides, there's another prophecy that twenty-five years after the incident it would be safe to return, so we're hoping that that is the case for now."

With that they arrived at their room, "Unless there's something else I can do for you two, I must be off to other matters. You should get some rest while you can, the geology group will likely come for you sooner or later as they prepare to head down on a mining expedition."

@Windy Breeze

Gypsum nodded, "I'll see about getting celery and mayo next time, though don't you typically pair it with ranch? For now though, there's plenty of cheese and bread for sandwiches if you like. That's one of my favorite ways to eat it too."

The filly's eyes widened as she saw it, "Yes! That's the one!" She started to reach out to take it before showing some restraint, "Sorry I barged in on you like that, can I please have my pendant back? It belonged to my dad and mom would be furious if she found out I lost it. I'm Plein by the way, Plein Easle."

Tables would limp around gathering the food, distributing it on both of their backs before leaning on Windy for support, "Alright, do you remember the way to the infirmary? I'm pretty sure it's back the way we came."

The nearest map would guide them correctly, and they'd find they were far from the only ones who had decided to go to the infirmary at that moment. Judging by the lanyards most of the were new as well, many complaining about how the cycle had treated them. There was a bit of a wait before they'd be able to get to the desk, so Tables was content to take a number and a seat and wait. "May as well eat while we wait our turn. You need anything while we're here?"

@Jack Baker

The quartermaster nodded, taking notes, "I would guess a specialization in swords then? Rare among earth ponies but alright. Were you in a special division or the main corps? Any family that might be alive or among the loyalists? Any medical history we should be aware of?"

Once the questions had ended she would lead him to the training grounds, a large room just inward of the track, inside were a collection of training weapons and dummies of various creatures. "Go ahead and give me a demonstration of your abilities, show me what you remember from your guard training."

@Kujamih

(I always hesitate to ask, but if any scene here in the RP inspires you I'd love to see it drawn out. Very few of the characters I portrey have any base to them, so you can take any liberties you like as to their appearance.)

Seeing it had little effect they stowed the cloth away, but they wouldn't stand back until Light seemed to be in control of himself. "Care to explain how such a potent artifact wasn't detected earlier? Or how you're still alive with a chunk of lodestone fused to you?"

@Blitz Boom

The others smiled at his enthusiasm, and the one who seemed to be in charge continued, "Well, like I said we have a great deal of rare and experimental seeds that we work with here, and often we don't know exactly what sort of care they thrive best in, trying a few different approaches often nets us a sizeable loss in terms of how many reach maturity and high productivity. I was hoping your unique talents might help close the gap, do you think you'd be able to tell what conditions a seed might thrive best in? If you could at least narrow it down to a few different ones it would be a great help to our productivity."

They would wait for Brittle to revert to her more natural form before proceeding, but they would then bring the two of them over to the seed bank for the floor, the seeds were sorted by type, each with a printed description of what they were, or were supposed to be, "Er, we'll get someone to read these to you, but for now can you tell maybe by feel or magic what they need?"

@Illiad Easle

Spiral would shake her head what Zest had said about his analysis of other worlds. "As in, find a new and uninhabited world to settle in. Not just a clone of this one, obviously. That would be bad. And who spoke about the prophecy? That is interesting. Tell me more." Spiral said, hungrily demanding almost...yet not being rude, as best as she could have. Maud took what Zest had spoke about the geology group to note and silently sat down on the bed.

"Trixie thinks a 25 year wait is disastrous! Its only been a year so far! Only the...strongest and most intelligent will remain and this will be in history books forever! We should do what Spiral said, leave the dimension, find another world entirely to settle in." she would say.

"Rocks that aren't native to their surroundings always get recognized first." Maud said ominously. 

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

Thundy sighed. "As long as you dispose of any extraction safely..." Thundy stated as he arrived at a more complicated room with some sort of arrays. "Alright, I'll start simple and then build to the more complex stuff. Firstly..." Thundy stated as he gathered some electricity and made a fresh apple appear in his talon. He held it out towards the researcher. "Take it." He said. 

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

"I mainly do swords, but I'm capable of using any weapon, given enough time. Was in the main corp for a bit, but my skills saw me placed in Celestia's personal guard. No family that I know of. And no medical history either. I guess I could mention my zebra type markings...? They're just a birth mark; I'm not actually a zebra; though I always get mistaken for one..."

I answered each one of her questions, then followed her to the training room. I looked around. Impressive, I gotta say. Wooden training versions for almost every weapon type, plus actual training dummies. Definitely better than practicing on trees all day.

I unbuckled the short sword from my waist and set it aside. Surveying one of the weapon racks, I found a training short sword that looked similar to mine in length. I picked it up and began to analyze it. The blade itself, 'bout 15 inches, double edged. Holding it in my left hoof, I gave it a few test swings. A bit lighter than what I'm used to (it's wood, obviously it would be), but not by much. Excellent.

I then turned my attention to one of the dummies, specifically the one shaped like a pony. I looked at the quartermaster.

"I realize you want me to show you what I knew from my guard days, but I'd like to demonstrate something else, if you wouldn't mind."

With that said, I took up a combat stance. I brandished the short sword, stood up on my hind hooves, and held the sword back-hooved, blade arm in front. Unorthodox? Yeah. But it's not like the enemy fights within conventional standards either. Just the basics isn't gonna cut it anymore. You wanna fight savages, sometimes you gotta fight like a savage.

Do you require my assistance with this, my master? I could hear Than's voice.

Nah, it's all good. It's just training, after all, don't need to go overboard.

As you wish.

I focused on the dummy, bending my hooves slightly. Then, I lunged forward, while simultaneously spinning to the right, delivering a powerful outward strike with the tip of the sword. I used the remaining momentum to deliver a spinning roundhouse with my right hoof, then quickly rolled forward. I used the momentum from the roll to tackle the dummy, then followed up with a flurry of backhooved strikes, weaving the sword around from all directions. I finished the flurry with a horizontal outward slash, while using the momentum from that to flip backward, creating distance from me and the dummy. I landed on my hind hooves, then quickly reverted back to my combat stance. 

There, that should be enough. I looked at the quartmaster.

"Was that good, or do you need more?"

Edited by Jack Baker
  • Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

Serene sighed, feeling a bit down about not getting to eat celery with today, but he doesn't let it bother him, Cheese sandwich (Not Cheese Sandwich) can suffice.

“That's okay. I like eating cheese” he took one sandwich from one of the tray and took a experimental bite, “Mm, not bad"

20 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

The filly's eyes widened as she saw it, "Yes! That's the one!" She started to reach out to take it before showing some restraint, "Sorry I barged in on you like that, can I please have my pendant back? It belonged to my dad and mom would be furious if she found out I lost it. I'm Plein by the way, Plein Easle."

“Hello, Plein. I'm Shadow Trail” she gave the filly the pendant. She was curious how the pendant got into the room the first place, maybe Plein and her parents previously live in this room, “Would you mind telling me why was the pendant is in the room? I've seen other items that doesn't belong to me and to a friend, and I'm glad to take all of them back to their respective owners”

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

I nodded and gave Tables sheepish smile as I supported her, poor mare couldn't walk without stumbling “Unfortunately, no. But that map could help us” she pointed at nearby map on the wall. After making sure to remember where the clinic is, they continue on their way. It tooks us a few minutes before we arrive at our destination, and turns out we are not the only ones have plans to go the clinic.

There are a lot of ponies and probably a few non-pony residents of the Æther who are at the clinic, a lot whoning about the event that just happened a few minutes ago. It seems it will take several minutes or even hours for me and Tables to use the clinic, and I'm just glad she has the same idea as mine.

20 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

"May as well eat while we wait our turn. You need anything while we're here?"

“Sure, might as well fill our stomach before it becomes empty again” I sat down, my wing immediately taking the container from my back, “Are we allowed to eat here?”

• Brohoof 1

Light was confused at the changelings having little knowledge of what "CHRYSALIS'S THRONE" can do, since it was the stone that protected the hive from magical attacks by absorbing magic, not even discord can withstand its magic canceller.

".... Of course it wont be detected, it's Chrysalis's throne... It absorbs magic. Detection magic would just read it as nothing..."

Light slowly stood up and retracted back the artifact inside his body.

" This thing wont be able to kill me... I'm very sturdy...And mother has a keen eye on who can handle the throne."

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

On 2021-02-22 at 6:18 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"Well, like I said we have a great deal of rare and experimental seeds that we work with here, and often we don't know exactly what sort of care they thrive best in, trying a few different approaches often nets us a sizeable loss in terms of how many reach maturity and high productivity. I was hoping your unique talents might help close the gap, do you think you'd be able to tell what conditions a seed might thrive best in? If you could at least narrow it down to a few different ones it would be a great help to our productivity."

"I would be delight to. I may even know some things without studying them much, once I can feel what sort of plant it is. I have been in many places since I left home, and been around many a plant. Helped on quite the number of fields too, to earn a little for the road. I may have some experience with some of them that may be of help, though of course, I can also help in alternative ways."

He may have lost a liter of essence, but he still had some to give, and a few drops to test a few individual seeds, should not be an issue, and give them a good idea of what they had to work with.

In regards to Brittle, he'd slide a vine out, and wrap it gently around her, before lifting her. His sub-species tended to use these vines to move tree logs around. A small changeling were at the best of times, not an issue. And in her current state? A fair breeze could make her tumble away, si carrying her were not an issue.

"Before you think I am simply pushing or dragging her around, allow me to explain: Brittle have precious few things that can calm her down, and my presence tends to be one of the only ones there are any reasonable access to. When I carry her close by, it helps to add to her calm, as she can feel my presence closely, and she knows that I will keep her safe. As such, while this may seem odd, and not the friendliest, I can assure you that if I had the slightest inkling that this were bad for her, I would never do it."

Being this close with the current state she were in though, did make him feel a little more nauseous. But what one did not do, for those you cared about, yes?

On 2021-02-22 at 6:18 AM, Illiad Easle said:

They would wait for Brittle to revert to her more natural form before proceeding, but they would then bring the two of them over to the seed bank for the floor, the seeds were sorted by type, each with a printed description of what they were, or were supposed to be, "Er, we'll get someone to read these to you, but for now can you tell maybe by feel or magic what they need?"

If Brittle were yet reverted when they eventually went on, or they waited, he'd still react the same, when they eventually got there, and the chief - at least he assumed the one with the clipboard were that - would make his little comment: With a small chuckle.

"I would appreciate it if you could have it read to me, yes. My senses can help me in many ways, yet sadly not with printed letters. If they are raised on the material they are on, I can feel them with touch, but otherwise, I am sadly not able. I am not well versed in braille either. Though in any case, you needn't be worried about awkward conversations, surrounding my blindness. I have long since accepted that it happens, and take no offence, as it is rarely done in a mocking manner. And if one does mock, I have other ways to kindly - or less kindly - ask them to keep their opinions to themselves."

Just to make his point further, Briar would open his eyelids, and *look* around on the others, before ending once more on his boss. An unnerving sight to some, but he had to admit, that it were entertaining to feel out the reactions at times.

"In any case, let me feel out what we have to work with, and see if anything feels familiar."

Briar would use his magic to make a seed of each batch to float up, and wave in front of him. His head would tilt a little from side to side, as the seeds twisted and turned in the air.

"...Boulderroot, if I am not mistaken. A strong, hearty plant, with nutrient roots, but will require some stones to grow near. The roots attach themselves to that, and draws nutrients from them. A peculiar seed, but useful in areas with less conventional farmland options.

There are a few regulars such as corn and wheat too. As well as seeds for orange trees and a few more rough grain sorts. Those are typically easy to deal with, and just needs to be sectioned. I could do so with ease, and a simple fence, or other marker, can help us differentiate where what is planted, in their own row. This one -"

A particularly weird, gnarly looking seed floated around, and he brought it closer to smell it. Which judging by the shivering, did not please him.

" - Urgh. Grimms Apple seed, definitely. I know not how you managed to get this one, but plant each in an area with nothing else growing within a one meter radius of one another, and plant some boards, or stone at the edges, buried at least a half meter down, with as little wriggle room between as possible, or in large jars. If the roots finds other plants, they will drain them of nutrients, and far spread roots can make them tricky to get rid of. A nasty plant if uncontrolled this one, and the fruits are not pleasant looking, but they have a good deal of vitamines, and a sickly sweet taste and smell. Overwhelmingly so for my taste, at this stage.

These four however, I can't say for sure."

He'd be looking at a small, perfectly round yellow seed. A pale, flat seed. A charcoal-colored seed that looked kind of like an apple seed, and a rather large, oval shaped, dark brown seed, with some pale green dots on the top and bottom.

"We can find out however, if you can provide me with a little space, and seclusion from the other plants. Just in case they turn out to be something troubling. Jars alternatively, if it is."

He'd be ready to one by one, pour a drop of the thick essence, which ran through his vein, upon the seeds, after burying them in whatever soil he were presented with. And then one by one, they'd see what they were dealing with. Hopefully still something that provided edible plant life.

• Brohoof 1

@Califorum

Zest sighed, "Look, I don't know all of the details, maybe one of the researchers could give you a better understanding of why we're here rather than  somewhere else. If we had gone to another world, we wouldn't be here to pick you guys up, so that's the tradeoff. As to the prophecy, they called her the Oracle Delphi she predicted a number of things in her time, almost all of them have come true, so we hope her prophecy of 25 years is true as well. Considering she died over a thousand years ago, there's a decent margin for error."

He looked a bit confused at Trixie's claim of one year, before remembering something, "The researchers did mention there might be some time dilation among those affected by Discord, one of the quirks the world below has now. The Æther has been flying for about five years now. Though you'll find ponies here who have had all different amounts of time before they were found. Chaos magic is strange isn't it?"

With that he turned to leave, "Now, I must be going, and you two should rest."

@C. Thunder Dash

As the researcher was on the other side of glass, he couldn't grab it directly, though he took some notes, "The readings are coming in, but to be clear: Do you know whether you teleported the apple to you? Or did you transmute it from the air around you?"

@Jack Baker

The quartermaster looked fairly impressed, "Not many ponies use a dog or mino' stance, impressive. Though it does leave your vulnerable barrel exposed. Do you typically wear armor on your underside to account for that?"

She jotted down a few things as she spoke, "Good for fighting the spawn though, they aren't smart enough to take advantage of such weaknesses. It sounds like you've got plenty of experience with fighting them anyway. Though something interests me.... you say you were in Princess Celestia's personal guard? Were you still part of her guard when, well, she was defeated?"

She hesitated a moment, "If that's a sensitive subject, you don't need to answer. We're not here to dwell on the past, but make a better future. We're always in need of guards for our scouting and other operations surfaceside, if you're interested I think you'd make a good asset on the ground. I have your rifle in lockup, so we could train you on our firearms and ammo as well if you like."

@Windy Breeze

Gypsum chuckled, "They don't have too many options, but they do make it right, and it's made locally too!" She shrugged, "I mean, most everything it made locally, but still."

She wouldn't take long to finish, "I guess you need a rest don't you? I know all I wanted to do when I first arrived was sleep. Don't hesitate to come find me if you need anything!"

Plein took the pendant and put it around her neck, holding it close for a moment before looking back at Shadow, "Oh? Um... my mom... she hasn't been in a good place since dad... didn't make it aboard. I was much younger then, so I don't have many memories of him, but Mr. Wright, his best friend, has been telling me all about him. Anyway, mom gets these moods on occasion where she's super focused and hates when I distract her, so I would stay in some of the empty rooms to keep from distracting her. I didn't realize today was the day they'd be in use again, so I still had some stuff in there, sorry!"

She looked back at the room, "I should probably get my clothes back too, mom wouldn't like it if I lost another set."

Tables shrugged, "I don't see any signs against it, and I'm not going to go looking. If they tell us otherwise we can stop."

They would be able to get through most of their food before a nurse would be able to get to them, immediately taking note of Table's stump, "The cycle didn't tear your leg off did it?"

Tables chuckled, "I hope that's not common? No, I lost my leg down there, I was hoping I could get a proper prosthesis since my makeshift one finally gave out."

The nurse nodded, "I'll take you back so we can get you measured and fitted for one. Should have you back on your hooves in a day or two." She looked over at Windy, "You need anything? Or you just moral support?"

@Kujamih

The changelings took a step back when he said Chrysalis, "The Covetous? I don't recall there being anything special about her throne."

The other shrugged, "Maybe it was cursed? And that's why she did what she did? Queen Permu might know."

The first nodded, "We'll speak to our queen about this, she may want to see you about that."

Satisfied that Light wasn't posing a danger any longer they left the room, the minotaur getting ready to continue his investigation, "You mentioned, before everything went crazy, that you felt something familiar. Could you elaborate on that? Also, you mention a mother, did this manage to shake loose some of your memory?"

@Blitz Boom

The pony would take notes as Briar rattled off the names of the seeds. "As to the more familiar ones, they're special versions made by the researchers, typically requiring less water and growing faster, but not always. We'll send the grims for testing, maybe they can make a version that isn't so destructive. Though it might be useful against the plundervines."

When it came to the ones he could not identify, the chief looked over his notes, "Well, those are seeds that we recovered with some latent magical properties some time ago, we've been hesitant to test them so far."

Nonetheless, some strong pots were brought over and filled with soil, the other ponies stood back as Briar began his efforts.

The yellow seed would sprout into a rather ordinary looking flower, it smelled faintly of mustard and had a bit of a repelling aura to it.

The pale seed would sprout into a dark green vine plant/bush with sharp branches and small white flowers, in all it was about the size of a softball. It smelled slightly of ash.

The charcoal colored seed would sprout into a tough grey leaf with a bulb on the bottom, not unlike a flagon. Some sap was accumulating in the bulb.

The dark brown seed sprouted into a small sapling, it would likely grow into a large tree eventually.

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

"Well, basically, the way it works is that I gather the energy all around me. The energy is converted to electricity, which I then convert to magic power, which is what allowed me to make the apple appear. Sometimes, for heavier stuff such as forging, I have to rely on my memories to make things as accurate as possible." Thundy explained. 

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

" yeah i felt something familiar...the whole place seemed to teleport... Actually.... More like went to another dimensionis what i felt...then my head hurted and memories painfully came back...."

Light stared at the minautor with a grumpy face.

" Who else is the mother of all changelings? Whatever dimension or time line you go chrysalis will always be the mother of all changelings... Its one of the laws of our universe, that we cannot change.... But im not a changeling.... I'm what you called.... Adopted."

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

I twirled the wooden sword around. "Don't really need armor if they can't hit you in the first place," I said to the quartermaster. "With this combat style, I try to keep moving as much as possible, never really stickin' in one spot for too long. It's mainly to confuse the enemy so they can't read my movements. I could be slashing at them one minute, then suddenly I'll immediately roll back to create distance while moving to attack from a different angle. It's all about mixing it up so they can't adapt..."

She mentioned my former position, and I stopped twirling the sword. My head slowly lowered to face the ground, and I sighed.

"Yeah, I was part of it then. I can still remember what it was like. The loyalists, they had breached the throne room from all sides. The front door, the windows, everywhere really... At first, it wasn't too much of an issue. Our ranks were pretty small, about 30 or so protecting the princess at the time, but we had the skill to take 'em on. Shit really started to hit the fan when about half our numbers revealed themselves to be loyalists and turned on us. So not only were we dealing with the original group of jobbers that raided the throne room, but the group of turncoats as well. Fighting off the loyalists while determining friend from foe in the middle of all of that... it was absolute chaos; exactly the way that damned draconequus wanted it to go."

I paused. "The princess, she, uh... well, in true Celestia fashion, used her magic to fight off the horde and teleport whoever was left standing to relative safety, including me... guess she figured the lives of her subjects were more important than her own. Stupid, but selfless... as only an alicorn princess can do. A damn shame, for all of us though. Couldn't even do our jobs and defend the princess. What kind of Personal Guard were we..."

I paused again, then shrugged. "Welp, not like it matters now though. What's done is done; the only thing I can do now is keep living for the princess's sake, I guess. Would rather not put this second chance to waste, you know?"

I put the wooden sword back on the rack, and turned to face the quartermaster after she mentioned firearms training and my repeater. I laughed slightly. "I think I'll be good. I don't exactly carry that gun around for show you know."

Edited by Jack Baker
  • Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

Trixie would be left confused on the mention of time distortion. "T-that is really strange! But Trixie thinks it is entirely possible considering the nature of the events in the world." she would say before being overtaken by Spiral. Spiral would raise an eyebrow at the mention of the Oracle Delphi. "Something to look into for sure. I seek to learn...as much as about that as possible. So we can prepare for such things. I think...that might be all for now." she would say to Lemon Zest.

"Should you ever wanna contact us, you can! The Great and Powerful Trixie will be known around here more, soon!" Trixie would exclaim as Maud would just sit there with a blank expression of silence until the talking was done. "Your information is valuable. I look forward to meeting with the Geology team in the future." she would do a slight, but slow wave to him as he would leave. 

If he left without any other questions, they would turn to lay in their beds and take a rest. 

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

Based on Gypsum's explanation and the meeting with the division leaders, the Æther most likely have their own farms... Or atleast places similar to farms. It was a smart strategy having to make something which is formerly only possible to do in land. Whatever technology or magic they used is far more advanced than when Equestria first discovered his homeland.

What if its possible to mine in this floating city?

On 2021-02-24 at 2:57 PM, Illiad Easle said:

She wouldn't take long to finish, "I guess you need a rest don't you? I know all I wanted to do when I first arrived was sleep. Don't hesitate to come find me if you need anything!"

“Yeah, but some of my strength returned thanks to you” he took another bite of his sandwich.

Shadow heard all Plein said and by the sounds of it, her mother is having some kind of depression. She doesn't know much of the mental illness, but her majesty once told her it was an adfliction to the heart and mind, slowly destroying the host from the inside out, and also affecting the individuals in the host's life. By the looks of it, it had already took place for long.

Before Plein could go to the cabinet, Shadow suddenly blocked her way “No, you can stay here. This room is open for any guests, including you” she spoke to the filly with a gentle soothing voice, which is the opposite to her former captain, Nightingale.

Speaking of Nightingale, she could not allow Plein to find out she's a Shadowbolt. She doesn't want paranoia to spread in the city. The last thing she want to happen is to be kicked out of the Æther.

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

“Okay” I continued to eat my food. Seeing no sign of any disgusting looks from the crowd, I assumed eating is allowed here as long everypony doesn't mind.

As I was anout to eat the remains of my food, a nurse came by. She spoke to Tables concerning her leg prosthetic before asking me if I need anything or need any moral support. My mind isn't clouded yet and all what is in my mind is hope, hope for my missing friends. I don't think that doesn't count as something I needed support so I replied to the nurse “I appreciate the offer, but I've seen and experienced worse” she gave the nurse a smile of acknowledgment.

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

On 2021-02-24 at 7:57 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"As to the more familiar ones, they're special versions made by the researchers, typically requiring less water and growing faster, but not always. We'll send the grims for testing, maybe they can make a version that isn't so destructive. Though it might be useful against the plundervines."

"I assume you are speaking of the invasive variation of plundervines, yes? This may well hold some merit to you then. At least where I had traversed, they mentioned that one benefit of these trees, were that they were nigh impossible for other plants to conquer. They did not have much variation of such things in the area in fairness, but it may still prove useful towards this. A study well worth making, I would agree.

I am a fair bit more surprised of these seeds you mentioned you have improved upon. They felt mighty healthy to me, yet nothing made me think they were not simply natural. Their work must be quite subtle, and not do something which would technically make the seed unnatural. Color me impressed."

Sure he had run into folks who changed plant life before, but that usually involved easy to spot things, like cross breeding, or some sort of unnatural magic. This were likely the most subtle of all he had encountered, and he were truly impressed with their work. Marvelous levels of ingenuity in his mind, though it wasn't as if he traversed many labs, so this may be rather mundane. Though he would still stand by his praise regardless.

On 2021-02-24 at 7:57 AM, Illiad Easle said:

The yellow seed would sprout into a rather ordinary looking flower, it smelled faintly of mustard and had a bit of a repelling aura to it.

The pale seed would sprout into a dark green vine plant/bush with sharp branches and small white flowers, in all it was about the size of a softball. It smelled slightly of ash.

The charcoal colored seed would sprout into a tough grey leaf with a bulb on the bottom, not unlike a flagon. Some sap was accumulating in the bulb.

The dark brown seed sprouted into a small sapling, it would likely grow into a large tree eventually.

Briar would circle them all as they were done growing, to what extend a single drop might cause. Though he could not see them, he felt them strongly, and certain aspects made him somewhat perplexed, as well as intrigued.

"I could not tell you what any of these might be called, but I can give you some fair guesses of things that might work in their favor, if you continue to grow them, based on somewhat similar plants and aspects, that I have encountered in the past.

The flower feels... Repugnant to me. It have a certain aura that does not make me wish to be near it for too long, though that may simply be a defense mechanic. I would suggest keeping it in the pot, and in a space with a lot of free air. Potentially test the pollen from it. Certain things which smells of mustard, can be both beneficial, and dangerous.

The vine perplexes me. It seems ornamental in nature, yet with all these defenses, I feel as if there may be something of worth that will grow from it in time. Though it may also hold some relations to a Thornseeker, which if you are unaware, are a sentient plant, which seeks to grasp living creatures, stuns them with poison, and let them stay there until they become mulch. I would suggest keeping it separate, and if you have any smaller animals, to urge one near it, and see what might happen. The vines themselves may also be edible, though I'd test for known toxins first. And do please find out where upon it that ashen smell comes from. It is rather peculiar, yet I have no certain idea what might be causing that.

I'd also run tests on the sap on the bulb, though it feels utterly harmless to me thus far. Like a strangely formed rhubarb, if I were to give a close association. A simple patch of dirt, and a weary eye non it, would likely do well for it.

The tree is too early to tell. It have barely sprouted, and with this rate of growth, it would need more drops than I feel comfortable to offer right now, to see it fully grown. I ask that you please give me at least until tomorrow, and we can see if I may be able to spare what I assume would be a dozen drops, to see further, important progress. I could try now, but it would leave me woozy and vulnerable, as well as less useful for proper work, so I would advice patience, and simple keep this within its pot. Well watered, and given some peace and quiet."

• Brohoof 1

@C. Thunder Dash

The unicorn noted down everything Thundy said, "Fascinating, it sounds like you're really transmuting magic into matter, that's quite the feat! Though perhaps it's more of you put out a call for an object and one is teleported to you regardless if you know where it is. That could be quite useful in certain situations. Have you ever made a living thing this way?"

The unicorn would encourage Thundy to demonstrate his next ability after his question was answered.

@Kujamih (Been looking forward to this)

*SMACK*

Light was struck in the face by one of the changelings hooves, a rather indignant expression on his face, "You dare besmirch the honor of the all-mother by comparing her to the Covetous?!"

Said changeling was pushed back by the other changeling, "Cease brother, he clearly did not know, may have been lied to by the Covetous herself. Would not surprise me if she claimed the title for herself."

The second changeling turned his attention back to Light, a more curious expression on their face, "I apologize for my brother's actions, we take the honor of the all-mother very seriously. You must be mistaken however, Chrysalis the Covetous is one of the youngest changeling queens, only older than Queens Delphi and Mariposa. Queen Gelatine the Murderous has a stronger claim to all-mother than the Covetous, and she died a thousand years ago."

The minotaur interjected, "More interesting I think, you say in any dimension or time. I take it you would need knowledge of several different dimensions and times to make such a claim. You must have recovered quite a bit of memory then. Care to elaborate on what you remember?"

@Jack Baker

The quartermaster looked a bit confused as she listed to his tale of Celestia's defeat, but shrugged at the end, "I suppose the account must have changed as it passed through the grapevine, but a first hoof account like yours should be more believable than the others I've heard."

In reference to the gun the quartermaster nodded, "Follow me, I'll take you to the shooting range so you can get familiarized with our armament." She would lead the way lower in the project, a few floors below the armory, according to the map they were underneath the hangar bays they had first arrived in, where a typical range was set up, the target end was open to the outside, such that any stray shots would fall to the ground rather than hitting something in the project.

A lanky looking minotaur was sat at a desk repairing some firearms of various types, he looked up as they entered, "Hey there Taffy, whatchu got there?"

The quartermaster snorted, "DON'T call me Taffy again, I swear... This is Raze, he has some experience with rifles, thought I'd have you teach him how ours work."

The minotaur nodded and got up from the desk, grabbing a rifle and a bag from the wall and coming over to Raze as the quartermaster took her leave, "Here's a standard slug launcher, earth pony variant, show me what you've got."

@Califorum

A few hours later they'd be woken up by a knock at the door, "Um, is one Maud Pie here? I'm Blast from the geology team, just wanted to get a word with you."

Another voice rang out as well, far more feminine, "Also one Trixie? I'm Dazzle with the moral committee, wanted to organize when you might demonstrate your abilities."

@Windy Breeze

Serene would be left alone to his own devices, free to either rest or set off and explore the project, or go and apply to the group the medic had recommended.

Plein was surprised by Shadow's stepping to prevent her from getting in the closet, "Um, alright. Play says I shouldn't hang out with strangers though, so I suppose we need to become friends then!" She took a seat on a nearby chair, "I've told you about myself, so it's your turn!"

The nurse looked a bit confused, "Oh? Oh! Sorry, I meant to ask if you were here to support your friend, keep her company and all. No worries though, just take a seat in the waiting area over there so the other nurses don't keep coming over and ask what you need. Your friend should be out shortly."

The nurse gestured over to a seperate area of the clinic where apparently family members and friends waited.

It would be about half an hour later when Tables came out, her stump cleaned and properly bandaged along with a temporary prosthetic to help her get around, she looked in better spirits when she came back to Windy, "Doctor said I could get a real prosthetic in a few days. They've had to make so many they've gotten pretty quick at making them. Plus with all the engineers on the project, they can make my new leg far more useful than my old one was. Isn't that exciting?"

@Blitz Boom

The pony with the clipboard took notes of everything Briar mentioned, some of the others moving to carry out the instructions that Briar indicated, "We'll be sure to keep them under observation, hopefully your prediction of what they need is accurate, those seeds aren't too common, so if they die it won't be so easy to replace them."

The others would move the plants as Briar indicated and the clipboard pony would go back to their list, "Well, if you want to get some rest, you're free to do so, but if you want to help out, the upper layers are going to need help harvesting in preparation for the turnover."

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

Thundy gathered some electricity and held out his talon. He made a ball of energy appear. He then gathered some electricity and the ball of energy crackled a little, before morphing into an egg. Thundy then closed his eyes and let out a slow flow of energy converted from electricity. The egg began to stir a little. It cracked slowly and out hatched a fluffy yellow little chick. It chirped, looking at Thundy. Thundy held out the little chick for the unicorn. "Here, touch it." Thundy said. 

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

Trixie would awaken, apparently frightened by the sudden knocking and voices. "Curses! Oh...hang on...Trixie is coming!" she would shout, and frantically go into the bathroom to get her mane and tail prepared for public appearances. She did not want to be seen with an all frizzled up mane. Spiral would just internally roll her eyes and allow this to occur, while Maud's eyes would slowly open. While Maud wouldn't answer verbally.

Maud would answer the door. Her mane and tail were oddly straight, as if she used something for them. She'd look to the ponies there. Specifically she'd look towards the more male sounding one, as if had hearing that in her sleep. "Yes. It is me. Maud Pie." she would say in a rather un-nerving montonality. 

Then Trixie would rush to the door worrying about her mane and tail, they were good looking but Spiral took control. "I suppose you 2 are here for us, to assess our roles and value? Something like that?"

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

The second changeling turned his attention back to Light, a more curious expression on their face, "I apologize for my brother's actions, we take the honor of the all-mother very seriously. You must be mistaken however, Chrysalis the Covetous is one of the youngest changeling queens, only older than Queens Delphi and Mariposa. Queen Gelatine the Murderous has a stronger claim to all-mother than the Covetous, and she died a thousand years ago."

.... "You see sibling the proof that you know who chrysalis is and me knowing who chrysalis is, is proof that her existance is dominant... For i have only heard of the names you have just spouted now... I might say that those beings you just named may only have existed here.... Maybe you are the ones who are really lied upon by the gods who rule this dimension." Light stared at the sibling that smacked him.

The minotaur interjected, "More interesting I think, you say in any dimension or time. I take it you would need knowledge of several different dimensions and times to make such a claim. You must have recovered quite a bit of memory then. Care to elaborate on what you remember?"

"Well...yes... A lot of em i erased myself for a reason... Well the milk has been spilt... Minotaur... I came from the place called

Forums of the Gods,

and one specific higher being has detected...hmm how should i call it...changes that they did not want. So they sent me to fix this dimension.... Either by removing the cause... Or completely destroying this whole dimension. One proof is that chrysalis HAS other siblings and is not the mother of all changelings. And i sense a WRITER is pulling some strings here... They are the usual cause of a dimension goin corrupt and going chaotic... And it's a PUPPET MASTER level as well... "

Edited by Kujamih
  • Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

Her name was Taffy? Heh. Who would've guessed? As I quietly laughed at their exchange, I went to examine the "slug launcher" the armorer issued me. 

Hmm... looks like any other rifle I'd seen before. I picked it up and made my way to the safety line of the range. I focused on the target, and aimed for center mass. I stood up, raised the gun, flicked the safety off, and fired.

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

On 2021-02-28 at 6:30 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"We'll be sure to keep them under observation, hopefully your prediction of what they need is accurate, those seeds aren't too common, so if they die it won't be so easy to replace them."

The others would move the plants as Briar indicated and the clipboard pony would go back to their list, "Well, if you want to get some rest, you're free to do so, but if you want to help out, the upper layers are going to need help harvesting in preparation for the turnover."

"If they seem to falter, let me try and help them grow further. At least those we find have some usage, and are not simple weeds. I have yet to find a plant that cannot be saved, with the right tools at hoof. After that, it is mostly a matter of picking a good time to have them grow exponentially, so they can produce seeds for more plants. Yet, one step at a time.

As for rest, perish the thought sir. I have not bled so much, that I cannot stand and walk as stable as ever. And long as I can do so, I can work. If you would be so kind as to lead me to where you'd wish for me to be, and inform me of how you would prefer the harvest to proceed, I will begin as soon as possible. Today may have been long, but it is not yet over, and I do feel an urge to be productive."

At this point, Brittle would have reverted to herself again, and return to try and use Briar as a living shield, as well as whimper, in case somepony got too close to her.

• Brohoof 2

@Illiad Easle

Serene lay on his new bed in his new bedroom, contemplating what he should do other than enjoying piece alone. Maybe he should try interacting with the residents of Æther, ay for the job he'd been recommended, or look for a place where he could see the list of the population to look for his family, specifically his mother. He decided to choose the last scenario. He got up from his bed and went out of the room with a look of determination in his face.

Shadow smiled mentally upon hearing Pleid acting up according to smart advices given to her. While foalnapping is unlikely to happen in the past, the guilt would come crashing down to the missing foal's parents and their lives broken apart. She knew many more are broken apart due to the reign of terror that is currently occurring which makes Pleid one of the most if not luckiest foals to survive the tragedy despite losing her father and her mother broken both in and outside.

Asked for her own introduction, she sat on the floor beside the filly “I'm Shadow Trail. I hail from Haytona and worked as a freelance photographer” she offered her friend, trying to fabricate a piece of a lie by making herself look more friendly. Of course who would want to meet a Shadowbolt? She will be possibly pelted with yells of accusation from the little filly.

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

I looked at the obviously confused nurse with hidden guilt and embarrassment for puzzling her “Yeah, something related to that” the nurse told us there was a waiting area. Yeah, a waiting area. I forgot some clinics are reserved for waiting families or acquaintance. I went to another waiting area. I sat on one of the couches and waited.

It didn't took long before Tables came back with a new leg prosthetic, talking about doctors telling her she would get a permanent prosthetic days later. I smiled “That's great to hear that” I stood up from my seat and approached her, giving one quick glance to her temporary prosthetic, “So, where do you want to go?”

• Brohoof 1

@C. Thunder Dash

The unicorn was very intrigued by what he just witnessed, and came in from the observation room to examine the newly hatched chick directly, "Fascinating! I don't know the types of chickens we keep in our hatchery, otherwise I'd check if this were one of them, but we'll put down as a hypothesis that you can transmute magic into objects, including the troubling prospect that you can imbue life in them as well."

He thought for a moment before continuing, "Do you know whether you're pulling things to you or transmuting them? Could you make something that looks like this?" He quickly sketched out an item, a rather complex one at that (Similar to a Celtic knot). "Could you make this?"

@Califorum

A soot grey zebra was the more masculine one, and he nodded towards Maud when she answered the door, "I hope you slept well, the higher ups are eager for us to get down there ASAP, Minostralia is rish with a rare element, Minostralium, which we need. I'll explain more on the way, if you'll quickly gather what personal effects you need with you on the surface then follow me?"

He would wait for Maud to get what she needed then would lead the way towards the hanger area, "You happen to have any experience with Minostralium? It's a metal similar in color and hardness to gold, but with a powerful magical aura. We'll be heading down in a cargo ship, a bit bumpier ride than what you came up in, and spend a few days down there excavating as much material as we can before we need to pull up, we don't want to get overwhelmed by the spawn after all."

Soon enough they'd arrive in the hangar where a pair of other earth ponies as well as a trio of diamond dogs were loading crates into a larger version of the vessel she had been carried up in, this one had four propellers instead of two.

Dazzle was a unicorn mare like Trixie, but with a white coat and red mane, "I'll be evaluating you sure, but more in line with where you'd fit best, not your value. Your value is not determined by your abilities after all. Grab whatever you need to perform with and I'll lead you to the training stage. Speaking of, you used to a large stage? Small? Streetside? We want to get as close to your natural element so you can do your very best."

Depending on how Trixie responded Dazzle would lead her to an area similar in structure. If the large stage they'd go to the same theater Zest had had them wait out the cycle in, if small they'd go to a smaller stage that sat near the open air floors, if streetside they'd go to a mostly empty area of the open air deck. "Let me know if you need any supplies to perform with, otherwise go ahead and show me your best."

@Kujamih

(You must like complicating things.)

Those gathered shared some looks as Light spoke, the expressions ranged among incredulous, fearful, and indignant. None of them looked very friendly.

On 2021-02-28 at 5:46 AM, Kujamih said:

.... "You see sibling the proof that you know who chrysalis is and me knowing who chrysalis is, is proof that her existance is dominant... For i have only heard of the names you have just spouted now... I might say that those beings you just named may only have existed here.... Maybe you are the ones who are really lied upon by the gods who rule this dimension." Light stared at the sibling that smacked him.

The changelings both looked on Light with contempt, the one that smacked him speaking up, "You're no sibling of ours. You haven't earned any such honor, nor do we give it to any who are not one of us. A Friend you may have been called in another place, but you have not earned that title here."

"Do not think that since you befriended one set of changelings that you've befriended them all. We are not all alike."

On 2021-02-28 at 5:46 AM, Kujamih said:

So they sent me to fix this dimension.... Either by removing the cause... Or completely destroying this whole dimension.

The changeling that had smacked him looked to the others, and with a nod from the minotaur he ran out of the room before teleporting away.

The remaining changeling and the minotaur looked much more tense. The minotaur was the one to speak, "What do you mean? How can you change millennia of history? And how can you think to destroy an entire dimension? By your word we've been traveling between dimensions this whole time. Five years we've traveled, we must have crossed through dozens of dimensions by now. All of them affected the same as the one we started in. Are they too to be destroyed because this 'higher being' disapproves of their existence?"

The other changeling soon returned, a number of armed guards with them. It looked like threatening to kill everyone wouldn't go over well.

@Jack Baker

The gun had a bit more kick than what he was used to, but it would be easy enough to handle once he took that into account. The minotaur nodded as he watched Raze's stance, "Lokks like you've got some good practice on you then, we'll skip ahead to the special then."

He'd wait to safely take the rifle back from Raze and set it back in it's case before moving to another case and pulling out a gun more akin in style to a grenade launcher along with a bag of ammunition. "This here is the anti-magic launcher, far more effective at taking down the spawn than slugs, but also more dangerous to use. This here is the blasting variant, launches an exploding shell to spread a cloud of antimagic over an area, always shoot it downwind, as you don't want to breath it in."

He pulled out one of the rounds, it had a sickly purple glow to it, and given his attunement to magic Raze could feel the magical voiding properties such a shot contained.  

The minotaur moved to put the launcher away, "But we can't train with this here, not enough space." He switched the launcher out for a rifle of the same style the mare who rescued them had used, "This is what most of the field operatives use, fires a shard of antimagic inert or a vial of the contagious variant. Inert is for the spawn, contagious is for loyalists, stops them from ever using chaos magic, or any magic, again. Can't stress enough how careful you need to be when handling this sort of ammunition."

@Blitz Boom

The chief looked impressed by Briar's work ethic, "I'm sure you'll gain some sense soon enough, but may as well make the best of it while you're here." He would lead the way out of the growing area and up a ramp to the layer above where they had started harvesting potatoes, "You can start here, sort the potatoes by quality as you harvest them, nothing's going to waste of course, but some are better served to the livestock than the residents. If you've got any questions anyone here will be happy to answer them." He gestured to the other ponies in the area, about four who had started in one corner and were working along the rows. Given the size of the plot there was no chance they'd finish today, but it sounded like they had a few days to get it done before the soil got cycled.

@Windy Breeze

Population, maybe they had a census of the residents? Where would that be, administration? Looking over the map pointed to a few possibilities as to where he might look. Records seemed a safe bet, if they didn't have it they'd likely know where he might look.

The hard part then was navigating the several floors and hallways to get to the records department, which was near the research division. As he walked he was passed by a changeling and a number of armed guards heading in a hurry towards the research division.

If he was undeterred he would soon arrive at the records room, managed by a young looking doe, "Hi there! Looking for something?"

Plein looked confused, "Haytona? Never heard of it, then again I haven't heard of most of the places ponies here are from. Is that in Equestria? I'm from Deltrot, that's in Troy, Mr. Wright says that's south of Equestria, or it was. I don't remember it much though, it was hot, and dark." She moved on to Shadow's next point, "A photographer? Wright says my dad was a painter, but not the sort that paints other ponies. He painted abstract things, I don't know what, something that was important before or something."

Tables chuckled, "To be perfectly honest? I haven't had a good rest in months, I think I need a good long sleep. So I'll be heading back to our apartments. How about you? You itching to look around?"

Tables would start to head back to the apartments they had picked for themselves unless Windy objected or offered a more intriguing option.